yes - 47 (20.8%)
maybe - 23 (10.2%)
idk - 33 (14.6%)
maybe not - 29 (12.8%)
no - 94 (41.6%)
Total Voters: 226

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtrend started?  (Read 9470 times)
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:36:33 AM

My secret indicator says big move starting in the next 5 minutes... let's see.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:38:55 AM

My secret indicator says big move starting in the next 5 minutes... let's see.

It's that new law of physics made for bitcoin: "what doesn't go down, must come up".
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 07:40:20 AM

I'm talking about the TA tea readers. They remind me of that crazy guy in A Beautiful Mind who saw patterns in random data noise. every movement fits a pattern after the fact, but that's not very useful for predictions.  

well, how do you gauge the market then? not using patterns of any sort, oh no, i'm sure Tongue price history is completely irrelevant right?

ok, the four year log chart looks amazingly consistent, but not very useful for day trading or even weekly trading. I gauge the market with fundamental analysis more than technical.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:42:58 AM

I'm talking about the TA tea readers. They remind me of that crazy guy in A Beautiful Mind who saw patterns in random data noise. every movement fits a pattern after the fact, but that's not very useful for predictions.  

well, how do you gauge the market then? not using patterns of any sort, oh no, i'm sure Tongue price history is completely irrelevant right?

Price history is not irrelevant but if you only look at things on an hourly level you are doing things in an insane fashion.

In the past the future of BTC was totally unknown. Danger lurked around every corner and chance events changed the price drastically. That's why looking at things on too small a scale is insane - there is too much chance involved.

But looking at history is in fact important for a different reason. Look at the whole picture, the bubbles coming closer together, the price constantly rising, and what do you get?

It is normal and logical to presume that the next "bubble" has already started. There has never been a level of general confidence in BTC like today - never. Hell, the US government was talking about banning it a year or two ago. BANNING!!! And BTC pulled through. But what is the US government saying now eh? And Wall Street? And e-commerce? etc. etc. etc.

Confidence is taking a quantum leap forward and this is why so many analysts will fail here. They cannot see past their calculations to feel the real market psychology right now, which is just as much based on maths as an argument with my wife is based on maths!!!  Cheesy

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:45:40 AM

ok, the four year log chart looks amazingly consistent, but not very useful for day trading or even weekly trading. I gauge the market with fundamental analysis more than technical.

ah! but do the fundamentals change on a weekly basis? and even news events -- how do you quantify their effect on price? for instance, how do you measure whether a particular piece of news has a positive or negative effect on market sentiment? it is not really empirical to use your own reaction for this.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:47:16 AM

Price history is not irrelevant but if you only look at things on an hourly level you are doing things in an insane fashion.

i know it seems insane, but during tense "decision points" where the market decides whether or not to break a multi-week trendline, a 2-hour breakout can signal a reversal on larger scales. Wink

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:49:44 AM

In the past the future of BTC was totally unknown. Danger lurked around every corner and chance events changed the price drastically. That's why looking at things on too small a scale is insane - there is too much chance involved.

But looking at history is in fact important for a different reason. Look at the whole picture, the bubbles coming closer together, the price constantly rising, and what do you get?

It is normal and logical to presume that the next "bubble" has already started. There has never been a level of general confidence in BTC like today - never. Hell, the US government was talking about banning it a year or two ago. BANNING!!! And BTC pulled through. But what is the US government saying now eh? And Wall Street? And e-commerce? etc. etc. etc.

Confidence is taking a quantum leap forward and this is why so many analysts will fail here. They cannot see past their calculations to feel the real market psychology right now, which is just as much based on maths as an argument with my wife is based on maths!!!  Cheesy

You may very well be right. I have often had the same sentiments.

However, two things to note.

First your sentiment maybe over zealous as, even if it is true, there is a lag between bitcoin enthusiasm, innovation, development, fandom and fresh fiat into the exchanges.

Second, if you are right, you will never convince most that do TA, because in my experience, most who do TA on this forum do not feel that the current price of Bitcoin is justified. They have an opinion about what bicoin is really worth and a majority feel it is worth <$1000 today.  So they have no qualms about ignoring factors like you mentioned, because they have already made up their minds that they disagree.

Many of the people that do TA were around when BTC was worth $2 or $20 or $50. The further back someone goes, I find, generally the harder it is for them to justify the current price in their own minds.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 08:00:35 AM

ah! but do the fundamentals change on a weekly basis? and even news events -- how do you quantify their effect on price? for instance, how do you measure whether a particular piece of news has a positive or negative effect on market sentiment? it is not really empirical to use your own reaction for this.

The four year log chart is all I need. if it goes down too much, I buy a little. If it goes up too fast, I sell a little. I only buy with money from previous sell orders and never sell more than the percentage of the price gain. no prediction necessary except an upward price bias.

insert coin here:

arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:09:19 AM

The four year log chart is all I need. if it goes down too much, I buy a little. If it goes up too fast, I sell a little. I only buy with money from previous sell orders and never sell more than the percentage of the price gain. no prediction necessary except an upward price bias.

so you're saying that daytrading fares little better than chance? if so, i can respect that, because it is the opposite conclusion of most who use technical analysis. what i hate most is the naysayers who still try to daytrade based on what? gut feeling? i don't even know. but the price is either a random walk, or it exhibits nonrandom behavior which can be exploited for profit. there is little in-between...

--arepo

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 08:17:09 AM

so you're saying that daytrading fares little better than chance? if so, i can respect that, because it is the opposite conclusion of most who use technical analysis. what i hate most is the naysayers who still try to daytrade based on what? gut feeling? i don't even know. but the price is either a random walk, or it exhibits nonrandom behavior which can be exploited for profit. there is little in-between...

--arepo

gut feeling is worthless. I only tried it twice. the last time was last weekend when I thought five days up was enough and I was counting on a weekend dip to pick up a coin on the cheap. that didn't work out so well. the time before that was in 2011 when I maxed out my credit cards and took a loan to buy at $6-$17/BTC. pretty happy I did that now.

insert coin here:

segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:30:48 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 09:57:37 AM by segeln

Here is the Extension to 1/10/2014 of the up-trend since 12/18/2013
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:34:56 PM

critical support on bitstamp ($875) decisisvely breached. next stop, $863, then, bear market.

gox and stamp decoupled again Huh gox consolidation pattern not even knocking on its own floor...

Bitbuy

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:43:40 PM

critical support on bitstamp ($875) decisisvely breached. next stop, $863, then, bear market.

gox and stamp decoupled again Huh gox consolidation pattern not even knocking on its own floor...

Arepo, since you make a lot of informative quality posts, what could be reasons for this decoupling? Manipulation?
(sorry if this is a noob question, only trying to get informed Smiley )
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:46:23 PM

Because MtGox SWIFT withdrawals do not work, mtgoxUSD trades consistently higher than bitstampUSD (the mtgoxUSD is devalued). Sometimes, this price difference temporarily spikes up, sometimes it spikes down, for no good reason really.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:48:36 PM

Arepo, since you make a lot of informative quality posts, what could be reasons for this decoupling? Manipulation?
(sorry if this is a noob question, only trying to get informed Smiley )

haha thanks but that doesn't really make me a 'trusted source' or anything of the like. i would recommend you thoroughly fact-check anything anyone says on these forums.

that being said, i have absolutely no clue Tongue perhaps the consolidation price at gox is lower compared to the bottom support so even though it isn't straying far it is actually threatening to break down, as well. bitstamp is really taking a tumble though it doesn't really add up...

i would trust bitstamp over gox, though, at this point. last night's shut-down-in-the-middle-of-the-night-time-dump was realllly suspicious.

--arepo

arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:51:03 PM

Because MtGox SWIFT withdrawals do not work, mtgoxUSD trades consistently higher than bitstampUSD (the mtgoxUSD is devalued). Sometimes, this price difference temporarily spikes up, sometimes it spikes down, for no good reason really.

but that's not satisfying at all, blitz. why should this ever happen? the price differential makes sense to me, but not decoupling of trends.

F-bernanke

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:52:02 PM

but that's not satisfying at all, blitz. why should this ever happen? the price differential makes sense to me, but not decoupling of trends.

People eager to cash out go to Stamp, When they want to cash out, maybe they are more prone to panic selling.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:54:00 PM

People eager to cash out go to Stamp, When they want to cash out, maybe they are more prone to panic selling.

yes i was thinking something like this. why even bother selling on gox? that is so absurd though it invalidates gox data by a serious degree...

dnaleor (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:24:53 PM

perma bulls, still convinced this is just a correction?  Roll Eyes

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:02:55 PM

perma bulls, still convinced this is just a correction?  Roll Eyes

well... I'm not a perma bull, but to answer your question it matters what you mean by "correction". the sub-correction to the smaller uptrend that started ~2 weeks ago, or the big correction to the december ATH. I mean, what's your motivation for the choice of time frame? Not that I take the following as evidence that the correction is over for sure, but here, have a larger broken downtrend in any case Cheesy

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: