Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:38:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Vs. Paypal - and PayPal is getting sued.  (Read 28609 times)
armodilloben

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 10:48:58 AM

I come to the point that i really hate PayPal (eBay customers using eBay and PayPal Mechanics to hold back payments, forcing me to give discounts) and I started to love to use Bitcoin for payment. Does not matter if its display advertising, food or other  transactions done with bitcoin - its fun using it and efficient.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:49:11 AM

Good luck Terrahash, hope something good comes from this!

All those mocking his big paragraph? go fucking get your eyes checked, or copy it into notepad and make your own paragraphs you lazy shits lol.

This guy has gone through some shit, I could feel his vibe!

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
willsteel

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:39:43 PM

As much as i would love it that PayPal looses the right to accept credit cards... I dont think this is going to happen.

But I would like to know how come that this is point of discussion? Someone else selling CreditCard equipment via PayPal? Cheesy
waxaddict

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:17:53 PM

Fuck Paypal.

As a little guy just using eBay for purchases and selling random items, apart from the extortionate fees involved, Paypal are a joke.

A week or two ago I bid on a second hand smartphone. Within the hour of sending payment via Paypal the seller messaged me, apologised that the phone had a fault he'd recently found, and he refunded me instantly.

Checked Paypal, refund received but on 'hold'. It took 10 days to be released. Apparently it's standard procedure for refunds. How can they operate like this and still be allowed?
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 01:34:31 PM

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you win! I would laugh myself into unconsciousness to see PayPal lose their ability to take credit cards. That would be truly priceless! I take credit cards through PayPal, so it would have an effect on me, but seeing PayPal go down in flames would be just so worth it! Smiley

s1lverbox
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:38:37 PM

as I still think OP is Muppet by writing lasts posts in other threads, I will watch this closely. because IF you succed, u my friend have a large beer from me. PayPal always sucks, day and night. problem with sellers are this: they repeating like addicts...PAYPAL IS SAFEST WAY...bla bla bla.
I hope there will be enough room to finish with monopolistyc company's like PayPal and other. succes with this case can be massive step against other shady payments processors.

they will think twice before blocking from using your own money.
PAYPALSUCKS.COM
bigb159

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:56:37 PM

Best of luck, Terrahasher. Never been a fan of Paypal.
lmazzola

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:59:20 PM

THank you I hate paypal! this is awesome.
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:11:47 PM

Something seems...fishy about this whole story. I've never heard of Paypal having anything against bitcoins, especially the actual hardware used because it's just computer hardware.

There must be something else in that mess of a wall you're not telling people.
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:26:00 PM

I really want this to turn towards your favor.

Forever strong.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 02:35:32 PM

Sooooo conflicted. On the one hand, I want PayPal to pay for their BS, but on the other, I don't want them to improve, so that Bitcoin continues to be a much better option  Tongue
Misesian

Activity: 94

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:43:16 PM

Sooooo conflicted. On the one hand, I want PayPal to pay for their BS, but on the other, I don't want them to improve, so that Bitcoin continues to be a much better option  Tongue

Why would PayPal improve if he wins though?
bitaggedon

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 02:44:06 PM

Paypal is full of BS, those clowns almost ruined our business. They automatically process chargebacks without investigation, customers order an item we deliver, customer claims item not received even with full tracking info and paypal just charge us without even looking at the tracking info. I hope they fall hard.
We have a new site just for bitcoins and it couldn't have been better.
TerraHasher (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:53:06 PM

Does anyone know the BB code for making a paragraph? I have tried 3 times now to fix the post but when i save it it still comes out the same and the HTML p code wont work as i expected. Sorry again for the run on. Me and SMF are not getting along this morning.

Donations: 1A8anGihV3pvHeuhqzGsAjt2S71WY2qea4
g35fan

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:53:23 PM

Something seems...fishy about this whole story. I've never heard of Paypal having anything against bitcoins, especially the actual hardware used because it's just computer hardware.

I agree something is fishy with this story. It's not just paypal that does this, all merchant accounts have high risk departments that hold customers money for a certain amount of time. Paypal is just one of the worst because so many of their customers are joe smo's who have no merchant processing backgrounds and deal in high risk/high chargeback businesses (like selling used equipment, and in a notoriously chargeback friendly btc field)

Best of luck to the OP suing paypal though, seriously. Good to see someone really fighting. Hope that works out well for you. IMHO, I don't think this will go anywhere, at all.
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 03:06:35 PM

I agree something is fishy with this story. It's not just paypal that does this, all merchant accounts have high risk departments that hold customers money for a certain amount of time. Paypal is just one of the worst because so many of their customers are joe smo's who have no merchant processing backgrounds and deal in high risk/high chargeback businesses (like selling used equipment, and in a notoriously chargeback friendly btc field)

Best of luck to the OP suing paypal though, seriously. Good to see someone really fighting. Hope that works out well for you. IMHO, I don't think this will go anywhere, at all.

It makes sense to me that Paypal is at odds with Bitcoin, therefore have decided to use these tactics. It's believable, to me.
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:13:32 PM

Does anyone know the BB code for making a paragraph? I have tried 3 times now to fix the post but when i save it it still comes out the same and the HTML p code wont work as i expected. Sorry again for the run on. Me and SMF are not getting along this morning.

i think it might be too long for paragraphs? Could be wrong though, just remember that I tried to Copy/past a long bit of code once and it didn't work...

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
Kungfucheez

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:17:13 PM

It makes sense to me that Paypal is at odds with Bitcoin, therefore have decided to use these tactics. It's believable, to me.

Why does that make sense? Paypal has nothing to gain from being against bitcoins. Paypal is not a form of currency. Bitcoins in no way threatens their profits and business model, and bitcoins is not competing against them in any way.

My guess is OP did something else to piss them off and they had no choice. I mean, if you are doing a million dollars worth of sales like you said, then all they stand to do is benefit from your service. So you most likely did something wrong you aren't telling us.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:20:33 PM

No, there are plenty of stories about Paypal freezing accounts or taking down auctions when it comes to Bitcoin.

Good work OP, good luck with the claim!
Kungfucheez

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:25:09 PM

No, there are plenty of stories about Paypal freezing accounts or taking down auctions when it comes to Bitcoin.

Good work OP, good luck with the claim!

This describes why very well.

PayPal transactions are reversible. VERY reversible - like 60 days after the transaction, I think. That is one of the big advantages of the system, from a consumer standpoint.

BitCoin, on the other hand, is probably the least reversible currency available (and is touted as one of the big advantages of the system). It's not even reversible with a court order, like eGold, which is disallowed on PayPal.

If a PayPal balance was easily transferable to other currencies, especially in a non-reversible way, it would make PayPal much more attractive to crooks, because after scamming people, they would just immediately transfer the money out of PayPal (to eGold or BitCoin), way before PayPal could react and reverse the transaction. If left uncontrolled, this would eventually destroy the biggest advantage of PayPal, which is perceived consumer safety.

As Conor Lynch points out, PayPal does have other safeguards in place against money laundering schemes, such as a rolling 60-day hold on all transactions,  percentage-based holds reserved for handling elevated fraud rates, and other measures. But these measures are probably NOT fun and games for PayPal to implement, since they cost both a lot of manual labour, and annoys merchants. A lot of honest merchants get caught in the crossfire of these measures, which then (with righteous fury) describe their experiences on the Internet. As such, it makes sense to eliminate anything that makes the PayPal system attractive for fraudsters in the first place, and currency exchanges (again, this is not a ban against BitCoin in particular, which is most definitely a currency exchange) was probably high on that list. This might also not be PayPal's policy alone - VISA and MasterCard might not be super-happy about currency exchanges either.

The above problem does not exist with virtual goods (such as Facebook credits) because you cannot exchange it for another currency, such as dollars or euros, and is therefore not suitable for the money laundering scheme described above.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: