Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:15:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's recap on what we've seen in the past few months  (Read 12969 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:50:54 PM

Every post I will ever make in the future will be at a lower average price than the last.

And anyone that believes FPGAs will ever be cost effective for mining is deluded.

Anyone who believes there will ever be a Bitcoin ASIC is simply fucking retarded.

If the first statement is true, bitcoin price will be really low at some point. GPU mining is not power-efficient, FPGA-mining more so. FPGAs will be mining while GPUs have to be switched off. Difficulty goes to januar-levels and an FPGA can pay its investment when prices rise again. Far-fetched? yes. "Never" possible? no.

As for the ASICS: Ask ArtForz, he has at least 200, probably more, read #bitcoin-dev chatlogs from around February 2011.

Simply fucking retarded my ass Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Minsc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:55:24 PM

If the first statement is true, bitcoin price will be really low at some point. GPU mining is not power-efficient, FPGA-mining more so. FPGAs will be mining while GPUs have to be switched off. Difficulty goes to januar-levels and an FPGA can pay its investment when prices rise again. Far-fetched? yes. "Never" possible? no.

As for the ASICS: Ask ArtForz, he has at least 200, probably more, read #bitcoin-dev chatlogs from around February 2011.

Simply fucking retarded my ass Wink

Ugh more hardware investments in mining.  This is what is harming bitcoins.  Mining needs to stop being profitable so people can get good amounts with the cheap emachine hardaware at walmart and 5 year old computers with built in video cards most people have.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41886.0

Also Mt. Gox low today is 6.12 so anything above that ($6.50 now) is too high.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:56:44 PM

So, remind me again which brain-damaged asshole with millions of inherited dollars and their loving relative with custodianship on vacation is gearing up to produce ASICS?

ArtForz, although he doesn't fit the description.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Minsc

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:58:12 PM

So, remind me again which brain-damaged asshole with millions of inherited dollars and their loving relative with custodianship on vacation is gearing up to produce ASICS?

Brain damaged you say?

http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/?p=271

Oh and he has millions of dollars too.

Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:07:22 PM

ArtFortz's ASICs are a myth.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

Not so sure that I wish to wade into the toxic soup, but...

Someone please correct me if I misunderstood how far ArtForz was able to take this, BUT, to the best of my understanding:

ArtForz, a German person, successfully ordered and implemented his(?) own ASIC design. It set him back ~$60,000, and for his pains, he was mining about a 20-25% of all the bitcoin production, somewhere around May or June of this year.

The 60,000 might have been euros. The 20-25% might (and probably was) some other specific quantity.

Was this bunk, or did it happen? I read this somewhere out on the interwebs, but so what?

I'm pretty sure it happened.

18:38 molecular   ArtForz: how long roughly until you have 100 asics up and running?
18:38   ArtForz   I'll get em mid feb, probably late feb/early mar

There's a lot more talk about the specifics after that, if anyone's interested.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:37:36 PM

I read enough of his posts to believe he does indeed have some ASIC type gear running. But they are not
the mass produced things we are thinking of in general. I would have to find his chat logs to explain it
properly.

http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/logs/2011/01/15/9 start reading here i suppose.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:44:15 PM

I read enough of his posts to believe he does indeed have some ASIC type gear running. But they are not
the mass produced things we are thinking of in general. I would have to find his chat logs to explain it
properly.

http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/logs/2011/01/15/9 start reading here i suppose.

I don't believe for a minute that he's telling the truth.

He's never provided any proof whatsoever, just some bullshit claims.

Probably a liar like most people on the Internet...
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:50:02 PM

based on what i have read.. Art is not your average bitcoin user. So I guess I will leave it at that.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:53:21 PM

based on what i have read.. Art is not your average bitcoin user. So I guess I will leave it at that.

And I'll leave it there's plenty of hobbyists with a lot of time on their hands who like fishermen catching "The Big One" in their friendly stories with fellows, aren't exactly being 100% honest with their claims.

I knew a guy in college who knew so much about flying airliners from playing flight-sims that he successfully convinced a number of people that he had flown as an airline pilot for a number of years before being laid off. Completely full of shit.

Just like ArtFortz.
mizike29

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 10:58:03 PM

Uhhh that sounds like a movie we watched awhile ago buddy

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:29:58 PM

You forgot a few:
I never provided any proof I had a opencl miner capable of ~150Mh/s on a 5770 back in july 2010.
I never provided any proof I had a CAL IL miner doing ~650Mh/s on a stock 5970 about 3 months later.
I never provided any proof of starting development of a sASIC miner around the same time.
I never provided any proof of getting actual devices in early march, which while providing excellent hash/J sucked at attainable clock(= hashrate) relative to cost.
And you'll probably also never see any proof I've managed to get a good deal > 200Mh/s from a S6-LX150.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Synaptic

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:33:04 PM

You forgot a few:
I never provided any proof I had a opencl miner capable of ~150Mh/s on a 5770 back in july 2010.
I never provided any proof I had a CAL IL miner doing ~650Mh/s on a stock 5970 about 3 months later.
I never provided any proof of starting development of a sASIC miner around the same time.
I never provided any proof of getting actual devices in early march, which while providing excellent hash/J sucked at attainable clock(= hashrate) relative to cost.
And you'll probably also never see any proof I've managed to get a good deal > 200Mh/s from a S6-LX150.

So, you claim you had a functioning ASIC, and now you're using the lowest tier consumer FPGA...

uh huh.

I really believe you had a functioning ASIC...
ArtForz

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:35:09 PM

If you could read, I wrote sASIC, aka structured asic, pretty much the same thing as xilinx easypath but without the niceness of 1:1 FPGA-to-ASIC on a HDL level.

Minsc

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:36:44 PM

If you could read, I wrote sASIC, aka structured asic, pretty much the same thing as xilinx easypath but without the niceness of 1:1 FPGA-to-ASIC on a HDL level.

I don't know what that is, but can it let me mine lots of coins without buying a bunch of expensive hardware?  Anything over $50 is too much.

Synaptic

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:11:19 AM

Thank you for the further clarification, and also illustrating once and for all to the people that have been arguing ASICs with me lately that your project did not validate the ASIC path theory, and from what you've written, actually strengthen the argument that ASICs are completely infeasible.
ArtForz

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:33:42 AM

I guess we're agreeing then. IMO the current bitcoin economy is not anywhere near the size and the future way too uncertain to have anyone blow the money required on the NRE of designing a real ASIC at a competitive structure size. But who knows.

Synaptic

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:37:21 AM

I guess we're agreeing then. IMO the current bitcoin economy is not anywhere near the size and the future way too uncertain to have anyone blow the money required on the NRE of designing a real ASIC at a competitive structure size. But who knows.

DEFXOR, IF YOU'RE AROUND, PLEASE READ THIS A FEW MILLION TIMES.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:37:10 AM

Why? You've still been wrong on everything you claim and you still haven't produced any calculations of value for the rest of us Smiley

You're not saved by the ASIC/sASIC/ASIC(EasyPath FPGA)/FPGA distinctions either. To remind you:

There is no FPGA/ASIC uptake, you're just fucking stupid.

And anyone that believes FPGAs will ever be cost effective for mining is deluded.
Anyone who believes there will ever be a Bitcoin ASIC is simply fucking retarded.

I'd really like for you to start showing us some calculations. I've done with BTC at $8 and $4 respectively.
Synaptic

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 01:56:44 PM

Why? You've still been wrong on everything you claim and you still haven't produced any calculations of value for the rest of us Smiley

You're not saved by the ASIC/sASIC/ASIC(EasyPath FPGA)/FPGA distinctions either. To remind you:

There is no FPGA/ASIC uptake, you're just fucking stupid.

I'd really like for you to start showing us some calculations. I've done with BTC at $8 and $4 respectively.

You fucking idiot.

ArtForz himself, the man who supposedly spend a shitload of his own cash, to pursue as close to an ASIC as he could get (the sASIC he mentioned) doesn't believe ASICs are viable...

I'm not posting calculations! They would  be a waste of my time, as anyone with any fucking common sense already knows these things!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: