Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:20:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 min left in Bitcoin Painting Auction! CoinDesk calls it #1 Bitcoin Art Piece  (Read 11221 times)
bitcoincito (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:05:47 PM

no_2 (Jonathan),

I'm so glad you received the coin! I was seriously worried as it turns out "money" is not allowed to be sent through international mail. I had a kind of neat "certification" doc I had slipped into the envelope... but the shrewd post office clerk had me completely change my plans. He explained that if there's any reference to it being a coin or currency of any kind, it would be turned away by customs and I likely wouldn't get it returned. *But* if it was a token...

So out went your certification or any communication about the project, and in went a reference to a "souvenir token", which apparently was good enough for customs officials. I imagine when they opened the package, we got lucky and they saw the side with the bitcoin logo first! If you're wondering why the package was so bare... that's the story behind it Smiley Would love it if you can take a picture of the coin or you/with coin to post here or send to me. Would be awesome to see it in your hands!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito
xxeyes

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 07:26:41 PM

This is an interesting idea because it has the potential to bring awareness to both bitcoin and the small businesses, artists, etc. you trade with along the way.  My mom is an abstract painter who exhibits/sells her work in a few galleries in Ontario and Nova Scotia, Canada.  She is incredibly talented.  I've asked her to consider allowing me to try to sell some of her work for bitcoin.  She is researching it and will get back to me soon.  This would be a great way to start.  I'll post some of the pieces she has available once you get into the 2-5 bitcoin range, if you are interested.  I don't want to link to anything before I know if she is into the idea, though as I'm not sure how her arrangement with the galleries works.  The paintings (or drawings) I would list are unsold works from past exhibitions.  I was lucky to receive a few such pieces as a housewarming gift a few years ago and they are my most treasured possessions.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:35:01 PM

Perhaps I can finally offload my coffee table...

O.o

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:20:32 AM

xxeyes, yes.... really hoping we can bring awareness to bitcoin in addition to the people who are using bitcoin as a means for exchange for their life's work. Both of the first two transactions fit that purpose. No_2 is the CTO of MetaLair, a crypto exchange, and Phinnaeus Gage is selling his brother's (amazing) leather tooling in bitcoin. Their stories, alone, have been such a pleasure to hear...

Also, I love the idea about your Mom's abstract paintings. Look forward to talking with you about the paintings a little later on in the project!

This is an interesting idea because it has the potential to bring awareness to both bitcoin and the small businesses, artists, etc. you trade with along the way.  My mom is an abstract painter who exhibits/sells her work in a few galleries in Ontario and Nova Scotia, Canada.  She is incredibly talented.  I've asked her to consider allowing me to try to sell some of her work for bitcoin.  She is researching it and will get back to me soon.  This would be a great way to start.  I'll post some of the pieces she has available once you get into the 2-5 bitcoin range, if you are interested.  I don't want to link to anything before I know if she is into the idea, though as I'm not sure how her arrangement with the galleries works.  The paintings (or drawings) I would list are unsold works from past exhibitions.  I was lucky to receive a few such pieces as a housewarming gift a few years ago and they are my most treasured possessions.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:29:37 AM

O.o

Yeah, you're right, it's worth way more than a house.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:40:42 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 02:03:25 PM by No_2

no_2 (Jonathan),

I'm so glad you received the coin! I was seriously worried as it turns out "money" is not allowed to be sent through international mail. I had a kind of neat "certification" doc I had slipped into the envelope... but the shrewd post office clerk had me completely change my plans. He explained that if there's any reference to it being a coin or currency of any kind, it would be turned away by customs and I likely wouldn't get it returned. *But* if it was a token...

So out went your certification or any communication about the project, and in went a reference to a "souvenir token", which apparently was good enough for customs officials. I imagine when they opened the package, we got lucky and they saw the side with the bitcoin logo first! If you're wondering why the package was so bare... that's the story behind it Smiley Would love it if you can take a picture of the coin or you/with coin to post here or send to me. Would be awesome to see it in your hands!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito

I have shared the videos of me opening the parcel here for when you make the Hollywood blockbuster Smiley :

http://madmacs.datashell.co.uk/item/d1b44eba28b244bd84626deee3e05511

Can I also check did you pay the metal worker in Peru in BTC?

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:23:13 PM

Love the videos no_2! I filmed a video as well of the coin going out, which I'll post when I can get ahold of my camera.

Re: paying the metal worker, I was not able to pay him in bitcoin. I tried - valiantly - but this was an extremely old world small town Peruvian man who'd spent his whole life in a tiny metalworking shop. He had never used the Internet, let alone was willing to entertain the idea of paying via bitcoin. Given that I had no other options - dozens of other shop owners had turned down the project as impossible - I wasn't about to walk away from him.

In hindsight, I feel quite sure that this was the perfect beginning - as the coin represents the transformation from fiat to crypto (it is a little of both), and paying for the coin in fiat represented the last fiat payment I would make before the coin and the project went crypto!  

Again, really glad you enjoy the coin!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito

UPDATE: Also, the handtooled, customized (to your taste) bitcoin wallets are still available. If you're interested in them, just PM me with an offer. The value of these wallets - according to the prices that Bruno's been selling them for on BitcoinTalk - is .5 btc+. But if you're into them, just make an offer!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:37:45 PM

Curious: can these wallets have any image carved onto them, and would the artist mind carving on something that is copyrighted?
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:23:33 PM

Curious: can these wallets have any image carved onto them, and would the artist mind carving on something that is copyrighted?
Rassah, yes the wallets can have any images tooled into them... and Martin, the artist, has numerous renditions of bitcoin wallets that others have created in the forum. Bruno, I think can elucidate on some of the specifics... but it was really important for him that this be a special kind of deal for whoever picks it up! Some of the images of previous wallets are reposted below.

If you have any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them. Like the (bit)coin, the bitcoin wallet is pretty special. It also represents making the intangible (a bitcoin wallet) tangible within the context of this project, and in the process showing off some of the internationally renowned leather work of people in our bitcoin community. If anyone wants to make an offer for the four hand-tool, customized wallets, you can make it here or just PM me! -Bitcoincito

Cygnify

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:43:55 AM

Love this; bookmarked your blog and following it with enthusiasm!

Good luck.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:04:30 PM

Love this; bookmarked your blog and following it with enthusiasm!

Good luck.

Thanks Cygnify. It's going to be quite a journey. Right now I'm excited about finding the right buyer for the wallets - they are beautiful, handtooled, and created by the guy who does the leatherwork for Jay Leno and Steven Tyler. Phinnaeus Gage has sold many of these wallets for what would now be about ~.2 btc each on bitcointalk. And I get to sell FOUR of his bitcoin wallets, customized however the buyer desires.

If you or anyone else desires the wallets, just make me an offer here or via PM. Excited for these wallets to fall into the right hands!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito
gortonc

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:01:47 PM

Very cool idea. As a hand to mouth father of seven and a biology teacher (I believe I should practice what I preach  Cheesy) I have been struggling for ideas of how to get btc.  I do have 9 uncirculated 1878 Morgan Silver dollars (no mint mark) that may help you with your project. I also just realized (duh) that my property might have value to someone for a vacation. Here is a copy of the post I just made on the bitcoin vacation thread:
-------------
I have a very rustic 24 acre goat farm in the mountains of Costa Rica, 45 min. from the Surf mecca of Dominical. Located at 1100 meters, 24 degrees C, year round. Great views, toucans, howler monkeys, and primary forest, hiking to incredible waterfalls. Micro-hydro, off grid 120VAC, all the goatmilk and feta you can drink/eat. Will rent for bitcoin. PM me if interested. :-)
-------------
If I understand your project correctly you will be needing more and more expensive items to leverage up to your house.  My place in CR could be rented for days, weeks, or up to a couple of months.  I need to emphasize that it is rustic. :-) Pics available on request. The coins are in the US with me, but I can accept the btc in CR to increase the national diversity of your project.

Whether I am of service or not, I wish you well on the project.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:40:15 PM

gortonc,

Thanks for the offer of the goat farm in CR. I understand what it means to choose a life's work that makes contributions for the world, but doesn't result in a huge payoff. You're a good man for the work you do. Re: the farm, send me a PM, I'm happy to see if we can figure something interesting out with you, and regardless would love to know another good person in the world!

I have a very rustic 24 acre goat farm in the mountains of Costa Rica, 45 min. from the Surf mecca of Dominical. Located at 1100 meters, 24 degrees C, year round. Great views, toucans, howler monkeys, and primary forest, hiking to incredible waterfalls. Micro-hydro, off grid 120VAC, all the goatmilk and feta you can drink/eat. Will rent for bitcoin. PM me if interested. :-)
-------------
If I understand your project correctly you will be needing more and more expensive items to leverage up to your house.  My place in CR could be rented for days, weeks, or up to a couple of months.  I need to emphasize that it is rustic. :-) Pics available on request. The coins are in the US with me, but I can accept the btc in CR to increase the national diversity of your project.

Whether I am of service or not, I wish you well on the project.

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:54:50 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 05:57:28 AM by bitcoincito

The blog entry about the latest transaction posted below. You can read about it here: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/01/goodbye-wallets.html

If you have anything special you'd like to sell for .2726 btc, let's talk!

Goodbye Wallets

If I could have decided how Project Bitcoin would begin, it would have launched to worldwide fanfare and media attention, and I would be transacting each day with people from across the world.  

Of course that's not how things have gone!

When I launched the project, the first public comment I received was, in short, "This is bullshit". We've had a grand total of... zero... media outlets report on the project. And buying and selling the first two special items hasn't been as easy as snapping my fingers (which is also hard for me!)

But here's the crazy thing: Project Bitcoin is moving.

What the project has lacked in mass appeal so far (we still have time for it to build), it seems to have made up for in appeal to the more and more of the right people. To explain what I mean, I want to tell you the story of my last transaction:

As you may know from previous posts, for the project's third transaction, I was honored to sell Bruno and Martin's four hand-tooled, bitcoin themed wallets. I needed more than the 150 mBTC I paid for them (which was an amazing deal)! But fo 3 days, I received.... zero offers on the wallets.

Then something strange happened: Someone shared Project Bitcoin in a post on Reddit, and the post made it to the front page of the 90,000 person Bitcoin "subreddit", with a number of people offering their compliments and support.

What was strange about the post's popularity was that I'd shared that same link with the same audience twelve days before, and I'd left with my tail between my legs and people calling me names. How had support so quickly developed in a place where there was once rancor?

I don't know (and I'd prefer to be grateful than analyze!)...

What I do know is that more than 1,000 new people were introduced to Project Bitcoin, and five of them made offers on the wallets!

There was only one problem: Every offer came from from the United States.

While our rules don't prohibit multiple transactions from the same country, my hope has been to have every transaction occur across borders (e.g. If I buy something from someone in the US, I must sell it to someone in another country).

So I waited...

14 or so hours after I received my first offer, Eduardo wrote to me from Brazil, inquiring about purchasing the wallets.

Like Jonathan and Bruno, Eduardo has devoted a big part of the last few years to sharing bitcoin with the world. He is a computer scientist by trade, but felt called to create and run a podcast in Portuguese called Papo Bitcoin that talks about the latest in bitcoin news and trends.

Eduardo made an extremely generous offer of 330 mBTC (including the almost 60 mBTC cost of shipping). I felt really grateful for the deal - after shipping. Shipping excluded, that's 272 mBTC remaining, or an 80% increase in value since I sold the coin to Jonathan!

The only problem: two people in the US were offering more than double that, and a big intention of Project Bitcoin is getting to that house fast. That was now rubbing up against the other intention of making only international transactions. I didn't know what to do?

I took a walk with my wife and asked for her thoughts. She told me a story from just before she was born: She lived in a one room house without warm water and with just one lightbulb. Her father had been saving for years to make a huge upgrade to their living situation. On the day he went to the bank to take out his savings... the bank defaulted. He lost everything. He went back to N.'s mother utterly defeated. Her father is a miner and farmer in Peru. He'd... slaved... for years for that money. N.'s mom's responded with firmness: "It's just money. It means nothing. What matters is that we have our dignity. There's nothing to think about."

Now my 24 year old wife repeated those same words to me. I smiled, reminded about the dignity of this project. Yes... a house would be an amazing end to this project. But that house only has a chance if this project keeps its dignity; if it succeeds in telling an international story of bitcoin transactions... if it promotes the wonderful work of the people I come into contact with. Every transaction must satisfy those requirements, otherwise it's a transaction that simply can't be done.  
I accepted the super-generous offer from Eduardo. I hope he enjoys the four custom hand-tooled leather bitcoin wallets - he deserves them! He's the only person in the whole world outside the US who made an offer on those wallets, and I appreciate his huge contribution to this project and to our unfolding story. I also hope you take the time to visit his podcast on bitcoin. If you're like me, it'll be a good practice tool for learning portuguese!

So now we have completed three transactions with three people who all happened to be serious contributors to the bitcoin community. Already, Project Bitcoin has made transactions that have seen their way through Peru, England, the United States, and Brazil. Now I am the owner of .2726 bitcoin (what was left after paying for shipping) that I can use to make my next purchase. The only question is: what will that next purchase be?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:00:45 AM

O.o

Yeah, you're right, it's worth way more than a house.

Two houses, considering the story behind it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=418941  Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:07:27 AM

Yes (just about), and no, albeit it should be yes, and you shouldn't be asking such.  Roll Eyes

Damn, I'm behind on this thread, but have been working behind the scenes pertaining to this endeavor and the Super Bowl Project. And barn wood and working on my truck and healing from the fall and the Jehovah Witnesses stopping by (when they say "See you in Two Weeks!", they mean it).
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:33:38 AM

I took a walk with my wife and asked for her thoughts. She told me a story from just before she was born: She lived in a one room house without warm water and with just one lightbulb. Her father had been saving for years to make a huge upgrade to their living situation. On the day he went to the bank to take out his savings... the bank defaulted. He lost everything. He went back to N.'s mother utterly defeated. Her father is a miner and farmer in Peru. He'd... slaved... for years for that money. N.'s mom's responded with firmness: "It's just money. It means nothing. What matters is that we have our dignity. There's nothing to think about."

About to read the blog posts, but wanted to comment on this first.

My dad was a miner, coal in Belgium from early- to mid-teens. Eight of us (five siblings) lived in a one room house sans running water or heat, save an inefficient fireplace, in Northwest Indiana. Each Christmas, we all received clothes--no toys. Nobody complained, and we all turned out just fine, seldom concerning ourselves throughout life about lack-of-money issues.

I can still recall absorbing myself in Zane Grey novels and Calculus books, sometimes simultaneously. Sadly, I've forgotten most of the Calculus since it was seldom used, but sought other functions to embrace life.

Just a tad more about me, apologizing for taking away from your lovely post, bitcoincito.

~TMIBTCITW (The Most Interesting Bitcoiner in the World)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:45:17 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 05:08:26 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

"I will take you on a camel journey in Egypt..."

And ride off with God into the sunset?  Grin

<when you been around as long as I have, you learnt where are the nuggets can be found on this forum>
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 05:05:48 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 05:42:47 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

It may have been prudent to bring the following to your attention via PM, but that wouldn't have increased my post count.  Roll Eyes Besides, we're friends.

Started to read your site/blog and was immediately greeted with your spellings of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin, when discussed as the protocol is almost always capitalized, whereas when it's pertaining to the monetary aspect it's not unless, that is, it's at the beginning of a sentence. Also, it's not two words, and parentheses are never used, unles (bit)coin is somehow warranted. If mentioning a specific amount, i.e. 15 bitcoins, use 15 BTC.

This post is not meant as a dis, simply an FYI. Perhaps some other may offer up the link to that thread that spells it out more clearly than I, for it's eluding me.

Back to reading your site, bud.

~Bruno Kucinskas
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:50:32 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 06:04:17 AM by bitcoincito

Phinnaeus, first... I was really touched by the story of your childhood and your father. The power of love and personal/familial/community intention is amazing! Totally not surprised you turned out such a good guy... values and focus is what we need. If we have those two things, the rest is pretty exciting.

Second, thanks for the tips on the bitcoin spellings. Not to be a nerd, but... I knew that Smiley Where you see Bitcoin capitalized, those are titles. So Project Bitcoin can still be capitalized even though it doesn't have to do with the protocol. If you see the word bitcoin and then the title Project Bitcoin next to it, I can see how it can be confusing. Where you see (bit)coin, that's my own made up word. It was my way of describing what the coin that started out the project is all about. It's a Peruvian Sol that now has a bitcoin logo etched into one side. Thus that original coin is a (bit)coin.... not to be confused with bitcoin or Bitcoin. Smiley

With all that said, I'm sure you'll catch some grammar mistakes, and even some with the word bitcoin. Like a lot of people, I'm not perfect Smiley

Awesome getting to know you in the process of buying and selling your/Martin's wallets. They are truly beautiful, and your contributions to the community should be commended. Thanks. And it's a gift to call you a friend now. -B.  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: