Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:42:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 min left in Bitcoin Painting Auction! CoinDesk calls it #1 Bitcoin Art Piece  (Read 11217 times)
Oztwinpeaks

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:21:30 AM

I just wanted to say how amazing this project is- I'm fascinated to see how things turn out, and at what point you'll get that house....and you WILL get that house!

bitcoincito (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:17:30 PM

Thanks Oztwinpeaks. It means a lot to me that you're following and you believe in this project's direction!

Really hoping this project can continue to bring attention to all the amazing and wonderful people who are a part of the bitcoin community, and hopefully divert some attention from the Karpeles and Co. who, I believe, are increasingly becoming the exception rather than the norm. As of now still haven't sold the authentic Paul Revere-owned statue. So if you know anyone who wants it...

I just wanted to say how amazing this project is- I'm fascinated to see how things turn out, and at what point you'll get that house....and you WILL get that house!

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 06:04:37 AM

Does the statue have any information about the name or a sculptor? It looks familiar, though a smaller reproduction maybe.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:58:58 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 12:16:37 PM by bitcoincito

I'm now selling the original Last (Bitcoin) painting by French painter Youl as part of transaction #9 with Project Bitcoin. It's 140 centimeters by 70 centimeters. The story behind the painting is below!

Our opportunity in life, when we get knocked down, is to brush ourselves off and get back up.

The knockdowns are inevitable. No matter how much we prepare or how good our intentions are, life has a way of making things interesting...  as it did with Project Bitcoin's 8th transaction --> the case of the misidentified statue: http://www.projectbitcoin.com/1/post/2014/03/the-statue-blew-up-oh-well.html

Today, I get back up... and not with my head down. I am in awe of what I get to share with you for my 9th transaction. You see it above: a huge 140x70 centimeter interpretation of Da Vinci's Last Supper painting! Here's the story of how it came to be...

About a month ago, I received an email from a French painter named Youl. A friend had introduced him to Project Bitcoin, and he felt called to be a part of it. I checked out his work, and I was floored. His work is a rare combination of heart, edge, and technical brilliance. Even his quick water colors filled me with emotion.

As I was figuring out the transaction with Michael for the statue-of-doom, Youl and I began planning out his painting for what would be the next transaction.

I've never worked with a painter before, so I don't know how a creative process is supposed to look. What I know is that with Youl, there was magic. The guy has so much heart, and - like me - he was interested in getting to the core of the bitcoin story.  

When we started throwing around ideas for the painting, I was struck that we both had stumbled upon the same basic thought: bitcoin as Jesus. We saw Jesus as a messianic figure who fundamentally changed the world... and for that change he was both worshipped and despised. We felt that bitcoin has taken a similar role: thoroughly world-changing, but also worshipped and despised.

After days of discussion, we decided Youl would paint a huge 140x70 centimeter canvas interpretation of Da Vinci's Last Supper. We believed that Youl's painting could tell the story of bitcoin with a profundity few words could even approach.

Most painters, I imagine, might approach a project of this size with either delusional ego or paralyzing fear. Youl embraced it with plodding steps, with deference to the history, and with total humility. [I've attached a making of the painting below]

Youl and I spent a number of nights until past 4, 5, 6, and 7am in France learning about and understanding the history of Da Vinci's Last Supper, and the stories of each of the disciples, and the depth and profundity of how the stories of Bitcoin and Jesus intertwine.  

Then with the plodding steps of a true master, Youl began to put together the pieces. Each disciple mapped to a person or archetype in the bitcoin community. Each piece of clothing, each body part, each stroke of the brush had a purpose.

And of course, the QR code on the painting: You'd think perhaps it might link to Youl's personal wallet or mine. No, no. It links to a wallet we set up that will donate 100% of any funds received in it to nonprofits specifically doing work to support bitcoin.

There's one other piece of this story that needs mentioning. Youl believed when we agreed on doing this transaction, that he'd receive somewhere between 4 and 30 bitcoin - as we both erroneously believed in the exorbitant value of that Paul Revere statue.

When that transaction blew up, he told me he didn't care. One bitcoin was payment enough for the painting... riches weren't his motivation anyway. But one glance at the painting would have anyone agree: that's not cool!

So instead, we agreed to this: he and I would split them profits after 2 bitcoin. If this painting sells for 10 more bitcoin, he'll get 5. If it sells for 30 more bitcoin, he'll get 15. He deserves it!  

I guess the last thing I want to say is this: If you buy this painting, please let me visit you and the painting sometime. Its the coolest piece of art I've ever seen, its meaning goes deep, and I feel such crazy gratitude for having the opportunity to play a small role in its creation!
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:51:15 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 07:30:01 PM by bitcoincito

The making of the Last (Bitcoin) Supper Painting 140x70

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 03:53:13 PM

fits perfect  Grin

YoulDesign

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:40:54 PM

Thanks !
It took me a lot of time to do this big painting for this great project, but it was only fun and pleasure !
If anyone has any questions about the painting, I'm happy to answer them.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:14:26 AM

It's a masterpiece built atop a masterpiece with meaning that goes so deep. Wish it could be mine, but I'm excited to sell it to the right buyer and keep Project Bitcoin moving along!!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

Does the statue have any information about the name or a sculptor? It looks familiar, though a smaller reproduction maybe.

DOH! That's why the statue looked so familiar. I saw the original in Florence just 1.5 years ago. Embarased that I didn't recognize it. Sorry that happened though.

Regarding the painting, can you explain the various achetypes a bit? I get the gambler (is that Micon?), and the anonymous guy, but the rest I'm not entirely sure about.
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:26:44 AM

Hey Rassah... yeah, that statue experience was crazy! re: the archetypes... here's what I know:

In the same way that Jesus had twelve disciples, so blockchain Jesus has twelve disciples. blockchain Jesus' 12 disciples include: a gambler, a banker, a blue collar worker, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, a scientist, a bee keeper, etc... people who are a part of this global experience that we call the bitcoin community. Some of the people may in fact be specific people you know or have heard of (e.g. BeesBros!) and others are simply the architypes that represent that segment of the bitcoin community. There was purposely a little bit of vagueness to allow for the mystery to be a bit more mysterious.

And on a side note, I still hold that painting, and am looking for the right special buyer!
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:39:55 PM

Well, I noticed that someone bought a print of the bitcoin logo printed 200 times for $125,000. So you'd think it'd have been easy for me to find the right buyer for Last (Bitcoin) Supper - which is a huge, original piece whose depth in story as well as artistic genius seems off the charts.

I did finally get a hard, nice offer for Last (Bitcoin) Supper, but the buyer prefers to remain completely anonymous, which means I can't tell their story. I would much prefer to find a buyer who is a part of the community, and whose story I can share with the world. If you are interested in the piece, please PM me. I have about 24 hours or so until I made the sale!

Warmest, Bitcoincito

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 04:40:53 AM

*BUMP!* It's been a month+. Still no activity?
SunSeeder

Activity: 124

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:44:05 AM

I would consider buying the painting if I understood who the characters are. Is there a description of the characters depicted?
Many might find that picture to be offensive, which is one reason it's interesting.
YoulDesign

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:01:16 AM

Glad to hear this, I'm Youl, the painter !

The people at the table are all archetypes in the bitcoin community. Some are real people, others are representations of a group of people.
From left to right:

- Scientist
- Bees Brothers: http://www.beesbros.com/store-for-bitcoins.html
- grandmother, shocked by Bitcoin development
- Mark Karpelès, the banker, alias Judas
- Dorian Satoshi
- Bitcoincito (the initiator of this project)
- Blockchain Jesus
- with black hat, the typical Bitcoin scammer
- blue collar
- Anonymous
- Beggar
- Artist
- Gambler (Erik Voorhees)

We tried at best to match current Bitcoin community characters to the original painting roles. Hopefully we did not fail too much...
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 04:09:19 AM

Glad to hear this, I'm Youl, the painter !

The people at the table are all archetypes in the bitcoin community. Some are real people, others are representations of a group of people.
From left to right:

- Scientist
- Bees Brothers: http://www.beesbros.com/store-for-bitcoins.html
- grandmother, shocked by Bitcoin development
- Mark Karpelès, the banker, alias Judas
- Dorian Satoshi
- Bitcoincito (the initiator of this project)
- Blockchain Jesus
- with black hat, the typical Bitcoin scammer
- blue collar
- Anonymous
- Beggar
- Artist
- Gambler (Erik Voorhees)

We tried at best to match current Bitcoin community characters to the original painting roles. Hopefully we did not fail too much...

Thanks!

bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:26:37 AM

Last (Bitcoin) Supper Painting has now officially been placed on auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231280050208

It deserves a good home. I've never seen or touched a painting more beautiful, and more imbued with deep meaning. I am deeply appreciative of the painter Youl for the work he did, I am excited for it to find the right home, and just as excited for it to be an important next-step transaction for Project Bitcoin!
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 04:58:21 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 05:29:23 AM by naypalm

First bid!  I'm certain I wont be able to afford what it'll eventually end at but I would totally buy a poster if Youl decides to do reprints of this fantastic painting.  Smiley

joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:11:28 AM

I would like to get a poster as well if it were available. I have added this to my watch list, it will be interesting to see how much it fetches for. Good luck

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:14:58 PM

Last (Bitcoin) Supper Painting has now officially been placed on auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231280050208

It deserves a good home. I've never seen or touched a painting more beautiful, and more imbued with deep meaning. I am deeply appreciative of the painter Youl for the work he did, I am excited for it to find the right home, and just as excited for it to be an important next-step transaction for Project Bitcoin!

It's really cool
I may bid but see you wouldn't ship/post to UK, which counts me out, unless you included a price to double bubblewrap and post securely, buyer pays postage
thanks

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
bitcoincito (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:30:07 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 12:42:10 PM by bitcoincito

Naypalm, thanks for being the first! And Naypalm and JsohRaban76, if you guys are really interested, I can figure out how to do lithograph/poster before I send the original out, provided the buyer is cool with that. I would like that too for my own posterity!

Guido, YES on shipping internationally. I will ship however you desire - and the price will be at-cost. No markup. The painting travelled internationally to get to me, so it already has the right extremely durable shipping canister.

Any other questions, just ask. I'm here!

Warmest,
Bitcoincito
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: