Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:48:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations  (Read 54974 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 10:16:12 PM

You're right. That was Gavin-bait. Well David Rabahy it's been six months and still no field report. Maybe next year. lol

Huh what? Field report from my talk at the CFR?

I barely remember it, there were probably 50 people in suits in the audience, nobody I recognized. The whole thing is on video, there were no secret meetings, I got there 10 minutes before my talk and left 10 minutes after (I had a bunch of interviews with DC-based journalists scheduled... and I think that was the trip I had lunch with Jim Harper and got a tour of Cato, although I might be mis-remembering).

Jesus man, how hard was that?

Why you could not have posted this a year ago or whatever when asked by (iirc) many people is beyond me.  And it is also perfectly appropriate for the community to have reasonable requests (chief among them a request for explicit transparency) and serious questions given the nature of both Bitcoin and the nature of the CFR.  Very little 'conspiracy theory' about the CFR is required to provoke such questions.  If you avoided these rather bland and reasonable requests just for shits-n-giggles, one would think (and hope) that you've got better things to do.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:15:24 AM

You're right. That was Gavin-bait. Well David Rabahy it's been six months and still no field report. Maybe next year. lol

I barely remember it, there were probably 50 people in suits in the audience, nobody I recognized. The whole thing is on video, there were no secret meetings, I got there 10 minutes before my talk and left 10 minutes after (I had a bunch of interviews with DC-based journalists scheduled... and I think that was the trip I had lunch with Jim Harper and got a tour of Cato, although I might be mis-remembering).

Thank you. We just wanted to know how it went. Late is better than never.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:56:14 AM

This was from January
Well at least someone necroed it back to get a comment
Late is better than never after all thanks.

David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 02:01:53 AM

Thank you; one wonders if the CFR might want a refresher eventually.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 02:04:03 AM

The recording in question: http://www.cfr.org/economics/can-bitcoin-go-mainstream/p32339

bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:02:12 AM

Yeah, pretty sure I read a transcript of the entire thing somewhere.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:22:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFUAhz7h2U

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 05:20:08 AM

And here I thought they were gonna use this meeting to figure out how they were going to shake Karples down for some/most of his fat stash of BTC and other ill gotten gains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

Now lets see those.. "Shut up ! Conspiracy theorist !", like comments fly ! Roll Eyes

http://youtu.be/2jyY6rqP_3Q

fosco333

Activity: 1260
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 05:34:54 PM

Gavin Andresen on Bitcoin: "Expect Chaos & Drama". That sounds so CFRish's own "Order out of Chaos".

Btw I wonder how you got named as the Chief Scientist for the Bitcoin Foundation when you don't have a background in cryptography and only came to know Bitcoin later. How did you climbed the ladder so fast Mr. Bell a.k.a Andresen?

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:11:13 PM

Btw I wonder how you got named as the Chief Scientist for the Bitcoin Foundation when you don't have a background in cryptography and only came to know Bitcoin later. How did you climbed the ladder so fast Mr. Bell a.k.a Andresen?

Well his background is that he is a computer scientist, that's how. And he worked with Satoshi early on. He's not new at all to bitcoin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 09:23:18 PM

Gavin Andresen on Bitcoin: "Expect Chaos & Drama". That sounds so CFRish's own "Order out of Chaos".

Gavin was working on Bitcoin long before the Bitcoin Foundation was created and I do recall he was the one that made the announcement that they were working on creating the Bitcoin Foundation.

The Bitcoin Foundation is nothing official, just a club with members. I can create the Bitcoin Club tomorrow and name myself Chief of Knowledge.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Geremia

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 02:22:29 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2015, 02:42:28 AM by Geremia

An earlier link in turn lead to a pdf for a Congressional Research Service analysis of bitcoin.  I read that paper.  The word choices and scenarios presented in this analysis suggests to me that they are viewing bitcoin as a disruptive technology, but not in a knee-jerk fearful manner.
Here it is for free:

Elwell, Craig Kent, M. Maureen Murphy, Michael V Seitzinger, Library of Congress, and Congressional Research Service. Bitcoin Questions, Answers, and Analysis of Legal Issues. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Research Service, 2013. (updated: January 28, 2015)

It's pretty interesting, just to see how how they understand Bitcoin.

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
Join Kraken. | The best, free book on Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin
Nos cum prole pia benedicat Virgo Maria.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 11:01:14 AM

An earlier link in turn lead to a pdf for a Congressional Research Service analysis of bitcoin.  I read that paper.  The word choices and scenarios presented in this analysis suggests to me that they are viewing bitcoin as a disruptive technology, but not in a knee-jerk fearful manner.
Here it is for free:

Elwell, Craig Kent, M. Maureen Murphy, Michael V Seitzinger, Library of Congress, and Congressional Research Service. Bitcoin Questions, Answers, and Analysis of Legal Issues. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Research Service, 2013. (updated: January 28, 2015)

Interesting indeed. So they updated this report after Gavin's debrief or before?

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 02:58:10 PM

Three words sum it up.

hardfork ... twenty megabytes (this number will go much higher)

Geremia

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 07:54:28 AM

Here it is for free:

Interesting indeed. So they updated this report after Gavin's debrief or before?
after: They updated it January 28, 2015, and Gavin's address was Feb. 2014.

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
Join Kraken. | The best, free book on Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin
Nos cum prole pia benedicat Virgo Maria.
waaat?

Activity: 574
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:42:11 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2015, 04:04:41 PM by waaat?

Well his background is that he is a computer scientist, that's how. And he worked with Satoshi early on. He's not new at all to bitcoin.

Look, RodeoX is talking on Gavins' behalf again. He loves to do that. Wonder if Gavin likes this or if he is more annoyed or even embarassed for it? Have you ever asked him, Rodeox if it would be ok or appropriate to speak on his behalf; even when he's in the conversation; like the mother of a 6-year-old would do? Effectively incapacitating him to even comment after you without looking a bit foolish? Ever thought about the possibility that Gavin maybe does not like it?
A spineless creature licking my boots and speaking on my behalf would be just about the most embarassing thing for me to have especially when i take part in the conversation. Wonder if Gavin feels differently? Does he actually like it? Ever asked for permission to do this all over the place? Did you even realize you did it? Why is it that you assume it's ok to extend your personality to Gavin? Do you think you are Gavin or can read his mind or know what he knows and know what he would say? Are you maybe mentally not fully developed in some way? Could maybe be too much oestrogen too. Anyways, looking forward to more "i am the mother of gavin and speak on his behalf"-comments. Some great stuff, really.

Maybe if you read it you could briefly answer when you met Gavin the first time, how often you met him overalll, how did you come to study his life and do you share beds too? Just some random questions that come to mind.  Roll Eyes
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:49:22 PM

This anti-Gavin sideshow is clearly all just a ploy to divert attention from the real story.

Peter Todd is Canadian. Lips sealed

Take a look at this picture of Peter Todd, look at his T-Shirt and tell me he's being ironical. You don't wear a T-Shirt with NSA logo unless you idolize them or work for them.

I remember the first time I met Peter Todd, Jeff Garzik introduced him to me, he just seemed to pop out from nowhere. My encounter with him was brief. But I noticed he didn't swallow the bait even then. So I don't really know his real motive being in the Bitcoin game.

lolololololol

I got that shirt from the Electronic Freedom Foundation's booth at 31c3: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/back-popular-demand-nsa-spying-t-shirts-members

Sadly the NSA isn't sufficiently self-aware to sell shirts saying "ALL YOUR DATA" with glowering, red-eyed eagle's... but they should be.

And for the record, I'm a Canadian - I work for CSIS, not the NSA.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  

Jump to: