Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:13:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations  (Read 54974 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 08:31:48 AM

You guys are all acting like Bitcoin is impregnable.

If you sort out the pool mining issues, then you guys can act as cocky as you like, but if you don't take the power out of the pools,

This is why solo mining exists, sorry but people far cleverer than you or me have thought about this beforehand and already fixed it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:55:05 AM

I've accepted an invitation to do a question and answer session at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) in Washington, DC on Thursday, February 6, 2014.

I've been told anything related to the Council on Foreign Relations tickle's peoples Grand Conspiracy buttons, so I thought it would be best to be open about exactly what will happen. I hope it doesn't spark as long a thread as my visit to the CIA, but Bitcoin is a lot bigger than when I visited the CIA...

Anyway, here's the invitation I received:

On behalf of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), I write to invite you to speak to our Washington-based members as part of our Voices of the Next Generation series. This program seeks to bring together our members with fresh, young voices in the nation’s foreign policy discourse. Given your work with BitCoin, you would be an important addition to the series. In the past, the Voices of the Next Generation series has featured Esther Duflo, Abdul Latif Jameel professor of poverty alleviation and development economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Ayman Mohyeldin, Middle East correspondent, Al-Jazeera English, and Jennifer Pahlka, founder and executive director, Code for America.

CFR is a nonpartisan national membership organization and think tank, as well as the publisher of Foreign Affairs. Among our members are many past and present U.S. presidents, secretaries of state, defense, and treasury, as well as other senior U.S. government officials, renowned scholars, and major leaders of American business, media, and nongovernmental groups.

The format of the event will be a 90-minute question&answer session, moderated by somebody yet-to-be-determined. It will be "on the record," meaning press could be invited to attend and recordings and/or transcripts may be posted on CFR's website.

The audience will be CFR members and invited guests (and maybe press); it is not open to the public. I am not getting paid by the CFR.

Hi Gavin, thanks for all you are doing for bitcoin!
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:06:36 PM

When does the project leader change or get's revoted?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:53:48 PM

Gavin:

I did have one serious question:

I am curious why do the CFR want to speak solely with you specifically? Why not executive director of Bitcoin Foundation Jon Martonis for example or Patrick Murck general counsel, and others or a group of you?

As far as I am aware they would not be experts on cryptography or some of the technical aspects that are your area of excellence, e.g. they are not going to be asking you about intricacies of git s/ware management or multi-sig scrypt code are they?

FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:02:37 PM

You guys are all acting like Bitcoin is impregnable.

If you sort out the pool mining issues, then you guys can act as cocky as you like, but if you don't take the power out of the pools,

This is why solo mining exists, sorry but people far cleverer than you or me have thought about this beforehand and already fixed it.

Well, I admit it doesn't take much to be cleverer than me, but

If GHash.IO + a portion of the 'unknown' mining hashrate is actually a GCHQ/GoldmanSachs owned combo of Asic Farms, some of which haven't even been turned on yet, how does solo mining fix it?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:30:41 PM

Gavin:

I did have one serious question:

I am curious why do the CFR want to speak solely with you specifically? Why not executive director of Bitcoin Foundation Jon Martonis for example or Patrick Murck general counsel, and others or a group of you?

As far as I am aware they would not be experts on cryptography or some of the technical aspects that are your area of excellence, e.g. they are not going to be asking you about intricacies of git s/ware management or multi-sig scrypt code are they?

The plot thickens...
Yoda played by: Satoshi
Luke played by:Gavin,
CFR played by: The Empire – lead by Darth Vader

Empire Strikes Back metaphor
Yoda: don’t go you are not ready
Luke: WTF
Darth Vader: Luke join me, I am your farther.

Yoda and Darth Vader are both children of the force. And are opposite sides of the same “coin” so to speak.
Gavin may get to say hi to Satoshi  Tongue

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 12:27:06 AM

When does the project leader change or get's revoted?

Now thats the 21 million Bitcoin question !! Roll Eyes

edit

LOL !

BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:04:01 AM

Gavin, please listen to what Andreas has to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yvRVkZWrE

It's only 4 minutes.
Apostata

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 07:01:14 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed.  Following
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:16:44 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 01:28:39 PM by MikeH

the CFR are scumbags, we should settle on a code so you can clue us into what happened, eg. at the next conference bend over and rub your butt if you've been blackmailed to sabotage bitcoin.

actually I don't think they'll want to kill it, going by all their talk about the NWO in their own publications the corporate members probably love bitcoin, if they weren't behind it to begin with - at the very least they'll find it useful in their drug running and other criminal activity.

wait.. what's this about the Bitcoin Foundation collaborating with the Gates foundation and Brookings Institute?

they wouldn't give a shit about child exploitation, along with the list below Gates is also invested in Nestle who obtain cocoa through child slavery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQvEX2Xait4

MikeH

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:44:22 PM

Maybe that is a terrible idea that will have awful consequences, but instead of rational discussion there's a knee-jerk GOVERNMENT BAD! that, in my humble opinion, is counter-productive to making the world a better place.

about a year ago I'd agree with that but after a lot of research I'd have to say that government IS bad as they no longer serve or represent the people, they have literally been taken over by banks and corporations.  I do agree it's best to work with them in the short term though - we need to reach a reasonable level of adoption before we can take back the power!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:06:30 PM

And exactly "foreign" to who? Since bitcoin is universal, there is nothing "foreign" to it  Undecided

Oh yeah sure, foreign to the "mighty america"  Roll Eyes Hello from a foreign, i'm european  Grin

On a side note i don't want to know how bitcoin is related to that "foreign relations" things.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

Maybe that is a terrible idea that will have awful consequences, but instead of rational discussion there's a knee-jerk GOVERNMENT BAD! that, in my humble opinion, is counter-productive to making the world a better place.

about a year ago I'd agree with that but after a lot of research I'd have to say that government IS bad as they no longer serve or represent the people, they have literally been taken over by banks and corporations.  I do agree it's best to work with them in the short term though - we need to reach a reasonable level of adoption before we can take back the power!

We need to stop confusing groups like the CFR with government. Just like Gavin, they are unelected officials.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 08:25:57 PM

We also need to stop confusing the government with elected officials. Ensuring the worst of all possible evils "wins" where it counts, despite actual votes to the contrary, is not a free and fair election system.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
FalconFly

Activity: 252

Sentinel

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:46:17 PM

Interesting stuff...
So a central Bitcoin figure is about to meet an important part of the "world controllers" / TPTB. Arguably the CFR is one of the most central and dangerous components of the squid.

I'd be surprised if anything positive could come out of that because their script is typically already long in-place and honesty is about the last I would ever expect from such a group.

Whatever the OP does, proceed with extreme (paranoid) caution all the way downto what and where you eat/drink - in this area it's more than justified.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Nitupsar

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:24:12 PM

Gavin, the best think you can do is to ease any fears that you wish to take over the World. If you convince these people that Bitcoin has a legit place and a great future they will want to buy a few Bitcoins themselves and thereafter they will not wish to destroy their own money!

One thing is certain, if you treat and look at people as your enemies, they become and act like enemies! We wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove! All the best!
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:16:43 AM

Hi Gavin -

This may be a naive question, but there will come a day when the central banking powers that be, the fed, etc ... will start looking to you guys to create features within Bitcoin that adhere to their wants / needs / requirements.   They're going to quickly realize Bitcoin is just a protocol that can be easily modified.   What will you do when that day comes?  I can't imagine the tremendous pressure that could be put on the Bitcoin core developers in the coming months/years by those who want to make Bitcoin into something its not.  Or may very well force you to do so.  

What is going to happen when that day comes?   Not if ...

Do you bend to their demands, out of fear of jail because you are held responsible for the aspects of Bitcoin which are an affront to our government?   Are you the next Edward Snowden, hopping a plane around the world while continuing to code Bitcoin from a private jet with satellite wifi access?  Does the core dev team go underground?

Will you guys be sitting cross-legged in front of Tanks while fasting and wearing robes?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:43:26 AM

Hi Gavin -

This may be a naive question, but there will come a day when the central banking powers that be, the fed, etc ... will start looking to you guys to create features within Bitcoin that adhere to their wants / needs / requirements.   They're going to quickly realize Bitcoin is just a protocol that can be easily modified.   What will you do when that day comes?  I can't imagine the tremendous pressure that could be put on the Bitcoin core developers in the coming months/years by those who want to make Bitcoin into something its not.  Or may very well force you to do so.  

What is going to happen when that day comes?   Not if ...

Do you bend to their demands, out of fear of jail because you are held responsible for the aspects of Bitcoin which are an affront to our government?   Are you the next Edward Snowden, hopping a plane around the world while continuing to code Bitcoin from a private jet with satellite wifi access?  Does the core dev team go underground?

Will you guys be sitting cross-legged in front of Tanks while fasting and wearing robes?

-B-

Good point

coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:58:02 AM

Uhem, I think you're missing something.

Foundation is already trying to corrupt core principles (and in secret -> conspiracy):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334520.0

Does the core dev team go underground?

seriously? currently its exactly the other way around. they even created their own board, to operate in secret. then make jokes about it and talk about conspiracy theorists as lunatics. fucking brilliant. for some reason human beings tend to operate the same way. so this behaviour is no different than bank lobbyists meeting with the fed, and thinking its all just normal. no, this stuff is just sick.

the world doesn't just consist of the United States, and members of other countries see people from the US in a different light. Ask a Iranian, Iraqi, Vietnamese, Nicaraguan, ... bitcoin should be country neutral, not part of United States government and corporate structure.

In my head, I picture people sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALALAL DON'T TALK ABOUT COINTAINT LALALALAL"

Or maybe somebody in a funny hat pointing their finger at Mike and shouting "BLASPHEMY!"

It is fine if y'all want to pretend that coin-tracking won't happen if the Foundation ignores it, and maybe it is such a hot-button issue that the Foundation should ignore it right now.

But it will happen anyway, because the technology to make it happen is pretty straightforward, and any victim of CryptoLocker will be VERY sympathetic to law enforcement tracking "dirty" coins. More than sympathetic, I think we should expect a lot of pressure on law enforcement to DO SOMETHING.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 10:34:45 PM

This might be what happened to Satoshi.....please be careful!

First an invite, then the next thing you know you're chained in a dungeon alongside the infamous Bitcoin creator.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: