Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:50:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] New Solidcoin Client Fully Open-Source!  (Read 23743 times)
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:02:05 PM

Are there any list of actual features that differentiate solidcoin from Bitcoin?
Any that actually have merit?

If it was all fluff and hype then let it die.

Yes several.  To name a couple I got to experience first hand:

Fixed fees - in usage it was very nice, you always knew what you were going to pay and you didn't have to hit send to find out that you didn't have enough fees in you wallet to cover a transaction and then scale back a little and the fee gets changed so now you are left with coins in your wallet etc.  Additionally, fees are removed from the equation of transaction priority in this way so even when Dumbass Extraordinaire Artforz attacked this feature, people could still make transactions they were just coming in slower than they should have.

Quicker Block Times - 10 minute rule is highly theoretical with no real model behind it, yet somehow it became the f'ing gospel around here, don't believe me, go back and look at Satoshi's own posts.  It was a nice round number that he felt which seemed to be a reasonable time.  3 minutes was and is much more user friendly, when I would transfer coins between exchanges and what not to do some "day trading" it was much more pleasant to do it with SLC than with BTC, unfortunately I had to do it with BTC on occasion and waiting an f'ing hour or more to get the minimum confirmations was rediculous.  Even Ruxum who had the strictest SLC minimum confirmations time I could have them in and usable in about 30 minutes tops.

Better handling of difficulty changes - Between controlled ascent and descent, faster block times, and more frequent difficulty updates the SLC network responded FAR better than the others with rising and falling hash rates, not once did SLC get in a situation where it would take months to get a difficulty change and not once did it ever take more than an unreasonable number of minutes to get confirmations... prior to SLC all the other cryptocurrencies had this problem.

There are more, but those are the ones I experience first hand.  And you know what? they worked and worked well.  Dumbass Extraordinaire attacking the system the way he did is not proof fixed fees are bad, it just found a bug that is in all current cryptocurrencies, it just costs more to execute in BTC... so ya hate the feature if you want but it is necessary for a user/merchant friendly system and there are other solutions to that problem than making it expensive to execute....

Fixed fees?  Block timers?  Those are variables guy.  The fixed fee 'improvement' is what brought down SC the first time wasn't it?  Quicker block times brings lower secerity.  The difficulty algo has already been demonstrated to cater to card-farms while the 'little guy' has to do more work and gets paid less.

So... what were you saying?

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnj

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:29:50 PM

Fixed fees?  Block timers?  Those are variables guy.  The fixed fee 'improvement' is what brought down SC the first time wasn't it?  Quicker block times brings lower secerity.  The difficulty algo has already been demonstrated to cater to card-farms while the 'little guy' has to do more work and gets paid less.

Do you at this point even know what you are talking about?  Security is NO WORSE OFF, this system is not based on the time of the blocks, if the chosen time works it becomes a race for confirmations from a legit and nonlegit source, if the network works at 1 second blocks it would have the same security as blocks over 10 days.... the whole smaller block times is less secure is the f'ing king garbage argument around here ---- seriously go and look at what satoshi himself said on the topic it wasn't much more than a guess on an ideal number to balance block size and network efficiency, security wasn't an issue with the time.

Fixed fees were attacked by king douche for sure, but the fees were NOT the bug, they just made the bug cheaper to execute and the bug lives on in BTC, are you really that dumb to not realize this?

Cater to card farms?.... how the f so?  because for a short while they are hashing at below optimal difficulty?  The 'little guy' is hurt already with the advent of pools, at this stage in BTC unless you are in a pool or have immense resources of your own solo mining is not feasible, at least with the difficulty algo changes in SLC the 'little guy' won't get his difficulty raped out from under him immediately and when the 'card farm' jumps ship the 'little guy' will get back to reasonable difficulty much faster.

Caters to cartels https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40772.msg501511#msg501511

The fixed fee was his way of not understanding what was going on.  It took what, 1SC total to bring it down?  At the time that was 10 cents.  Great securty there fella.  Next time I drop some change I'll give ya'll a heads up.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:03:14 PM

Wow, it seems my thread got much attention

I quickly read all the posts but can't reply to all, actually I just want one answer: where did CH said he will make weird changes to his client so that it will be impossible to use the open-source one?
If that guy really wants a blockchain split, he could have just asked it here

Also guys, please don't feed them too much

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
johnj

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:46:58 PM

Wow, it seems my thread got much attention

I quickly read all the posts but can't reply to all, actually I just want one answer: where did CH said he will make weird changes to his client so that it will be impossible to use the open-source one?
If that guy really wants a blockchain split, he could have just asked it here

Also guys, please don't feed them too much

More taunting

To the OP it is fine if you want to develop a "open source" alternative to my "open source" program. Good luck with outpacing my development though. Just wondering when you are going to add more vuln. fixes, network improvements and multiwallet support like that which is due out in SolidCoin in a few days? Thanks for the support of SolidCoin, and good luck with your project.

sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:42:04 PM

We MUST stop him at ANY cost.
His probable "success" will bring down the entire idea of cryptocurrency forever.

Also if he will fail epically, it will be the lesson to next greedy morons in line.

We should stop him by ensuring the open source client is used by over by 51% of miners and almost all users and by ensuring it rejects any weird blocks he injects into the blockchain. Once that is done we should forget this project ever existed and let it die in peace.

However don't expect this to stop the next greedy moron, the world produces these guys at an amazing rate.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:50:06 PM

Are there any list of actual features that differentiate solidcoin from Bitcoin?

It gets mandatory updates every other day.

I wouldn't call a mandatory updates to fix a series of errors that made the block chain either vulnerable to attack, or useless for transferring more than, what, $20 worth of SC, to be "features."

But I suppose if you're using the Microsoft or Adobe playbooks, yeah, those are kickass features and CoinHunter is a genius.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
wolftaur

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:52:12 PM

Nothing of value, relevance, or usable fact.

Join ArtForz and I in just not even responding to this guy's obvious bias and lack of understanding of what he's talking about. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:21:32 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2011, 08:59:44 PM by coblee

Y'all probably want this:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/491

However, I don't think you can fix all the problems that a fixed transaction fee cause; the real problem is that basic economics says that you need to let the price of a scare resource change, ideally in a market, to match the underlying real costs.

(bitcoin's fee structure isn't right either, and fixing it to create a market between miners and clients is high on the TODO list)

CH/RS should really learn from Gavin instead of criticizing him for being a hacker supporter. When ArtForz approached CH/RS with the vulnerabilities in SolidCoin, he was basically told to get lost. So ArtForz got upset and did a fairly nice attack on the SolidCoin chain to prove his point. He sent these large transactions one at a time, which slowed down the network and actually showed another vulnerability in both Bitcoin and SolidCoin. He could have done a lot worse if he released a ton of these huge transactions at the same time. If he did that, it would have likely killed all the clients.

I assume ArtForz approached Gavin with this out of space vulnerability in Bitcoin. And instead of telling ArtForz to get lost, Gavin worked with him to fix the vulnerability. That's how a mature and competent lead on a big open source project is supposed to act. If someone is nice enough to come to you to tell you about a potential vulnerability, you work with him to fix it instead of pissing him off so that he would actually try to attack your chain with that vulnerability.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:46:59 PM

SC/RS should really learn from Gavin instead of criticizing him for being a hacker supporter. When ArtForz approached SC/RS with the vulnerabilities in SolidCoin, he was basically told to get lost. So ArtForz got upset and did a fairly nice attack on the SolidCoin chain to prove his point. He sent these large transactions one at a time, which slowed down the network and actually showed another vulnerability in both Bitcoin and SolidCoin. He could have done a lot worse if he released a ton of these huge transactions at the same time. If he did that, it would have likely killed all the clients.

I assume ArtForz approached Gavin with this out of space vulnerability in Bitcoin. And instead of telling ArtForz to get lost, Gavin worked with him to fix the vulnerability. That's how a mature and competent lead on a big open source project is supposed to act. If someone is nice enough to come to you to tell you about a potential vulnerability, you work with him to fix it instead of pissing him off so that he would actually try to attack your chain with that vulnerability.

The unintended consequences of king douche bag's attack is though that he hurt a lot of people beyond Coinhunter even.  Thats where the ass hat looses 100% respect and credibility.  He also apparently know about other underlying bugs in the cryptocurrency systems which inadvertently killed peoples nodes (also from Bitcoin).  Yet the scum out here champions him as some great Hero of douche bag ville....  says a lot about this community.....

Please do us all a favor and take your crying elsewhere. Thank you very much.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wolftaur

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:51:13 PM

The unintended consequences of king douche bag's attack is though that he hurt a lot of people beyond Coinhunter even.  Thats where the ass hat looses 100% respect and credibility.  He also apparently know about other underlying bugs in the cryptocurrency systems which inadvertently killed peoples nodes (also from Bitcoin).  Yet the scum out here champions him as some great Hero of douche bag ville....  says a lot about this community.....

I'm not saying ArtForz is a hero. But I'd pick ten of him over CoinHunter any day.

coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:04:41 PM

CH/RS should really learn from Gavin instead of criticizing him for being a hacker supporter. When ArtForz approached CH/RS with the vulnerabilities in SolidCoin, he was basically told to get lost. So ArtForz got upset and did a fairly nice attack on the SolidCoin chain to prove his point. He sent these large transactions one at a time, which slowed down the network and actually showed another vulnerability in both Bitcoin and SolidCoin. He could have done a lot worse if he released a ton of these huge transactions at the same time. If he did that, it would have likely killed all the clients.

I'm not sure why you are defending CH/RS so much on these forums. It just seems like you are his minion or something OR that you get some benefit for doing it.

Did ArtForz hurt a lot of people's coins? Yes. But those were speculators speculating on a risky currency. They knew what they got into or should have known. The fact that it's risky is because the new currency is untested. With the code CH/RS put into it, you can't be sure it's not full of bugs. And they obviously had no idea that CH/RS will self destruct like that. So live and learn.

I actually believe that what ArtForz did was best for SolidCoin. It showed what kind of person CH/RS really is. It made a lot of people wise up and sell their SolidCoins before it was too late. If ArtForz did not expose SolidCoin's vulnerability *and* CH/RS's real self, SolidCoin's would have lasted a bit longer. More people would have bought in and be invested in this coin. All this (vulnerabilities and CH/RS's incompetence in fixing issues and his behavior) will inevitably come out at a later point. And when that happens, more people would have been hurt.

simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:11:14 PM

I'm not saying ArtForz is a hero. But I'd pick ten of him over CoinHunter any day.

Welcome to douche bag ville....

I'd take Richard the Lionheart over the f'ing court jesters... he may not be generally liked but at least he is doing something productive....

Maybe one day there will be a winston ch. in charge but until then you goons are fricken hillarious....

You're not fooling anyone, and you're just coming across as a dick.  Go away.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:35:13 PM

... he should be banned from these forums at a very minimum and Gavin as the de-facto head around here should denounce his actions.  Above all else I'll shut up completely as soon as I see as many posts out here complaining about Coinhunter also complaining about Artforz and calling the scum sucker to be banned from these forums ...
For which part?
Telling RS/CH/His Royal Highness that his changed fee rules were allowing massive tx for nearly free?
Using the system within said rules after getting told that those rules are perfectly fine?
Finding a lack of optimization inherited from bitcoin in the process?
Informing the bitcoin developers about said lack of optimization and submitting a patch that (well, at least partially...) fixes it?
</troll>

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
cgpgroup

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 09:35:47 PM

I'm not sure why you are defending CH/RS so much on these forums. It just seems like you are his minion or something OR that you get some benefit for doing it.

Did ArtForz hurt a lot of people's coins? Yes. But those were speculators speculating on a risky currency. They knew what they got into or should have known. The fact that it's risky is because the new currency is untested. With the code CH/RS put into it, you can't be sure it's not full of bugs. And they obviously had no idea that CH/RS will self destruct like that. So live and learn.

I actually believe that what ArtForz did was best for SolidCoin. It showed what kind of person CH/RS really is. It made a lot of people wise up and sell their SolidCoins before it was too late. If ArtForz did not expose SolidCoin's vulnerability *and* CH/RS's real self, SolidCoin's would have lasted a bit longer. More people would have bought in and be invested in this coin. All this (vulnerabilities and CH/RS's incompetence in fixing issues and his behavior) will inevitably come out at a later point. And when that happens, more people would have been hurt.

I am defending Solidcoin as a viable alternative.  Public statements made by Coinhunter should not have been made, I don't denounce that, to me it's a non-issue because he IS doing good work outside of that and that is all I care about.  MORE-SO are the dumb asses out here who vilified him even before they had reason to (Smoothie-in-his-ass, wolftaurd, King Douchebag, the whole lot of them)... this is the part that makes me sick you guys are letting those guys run the show out here when you should be just as often letting them know that they are fucked up one side and down the other as well.

And here's the kicker and the ultimate point I am trying to make, I don't care if Artforz "revealed his real self", what Artforz did was f'ing dispicable ... he should be banned from these forums at a very minimum and Gavin as the de-facto head around here should denounce his actions.  Above all else I'll shut up completely as soon as I see as many posts out here complaining about Coinhunter also complaining about Artforz and calling the scum sucker to be banned from these forums and as much public association with Bitcoin as possible.  He hurt innocent bystanders directly, it wasn't just a bug gone wrong it would have been criminal if cryptocurrency was in fact legally recognized currency, for that at least and unfortunately we probably can't bring him up on charges.  And to note... I didn't loose anything because of the scum sucker, but he did something far worse than Coinhunter ever did.

Dude blame CoinHunter for what ArtForz did to solidcoins. ArtForz went to him and told him there is a problem, and that he needs to fix it. and he basically told ArtForz to fck himself.

Coinhunter could have avoided the whole thing with a simple statement "Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix it as soon as possible, please keep this confidential until after the fix is made". but noooooooo he wanted to be his douchy self.... "I know what I am doing biaaatch"

Checkout the most amazing affiliate program http://onehourwin.com/
BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 09:37:38 PM

Dude blame CoinHunter for what ArtForz did to solidcoins. ArtForz went to him and told him there is a problem, and that he needs to fix it. and he basically told ArtForz to fck himself.

Coinhunter could have avoided the whole thing with a simple statement "Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix it as soon as possible, please keep this confidential until after the fix is made". but noooooooo he wanted to be his douchy self.... "I know what I am doing biaaatch"

Never forget, Art still did a dick move.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:38:50 PM

Please do us all a favor and take your crying elsewhere. Thank you very much.

Not crying just trying to ensure people see how stupid the douche trio is in this mess ... Artforz, smoothie and wolftaurd that is ... I'm not even defending Coinhunter per se.  But to leave him to follow you lot is like overthrowing Richard the Lionheart (not a very well liked guy but he was a leader) and following the f'ing court jesters.

What exactly did I do? Did i speak my mind and piss you off?

Sorry free speech is allowed here.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

wolftaur

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:39:44 PM

Never forget, Art still did a dick move.

<Art> Hey, I found a problem with SolidCoin.
<CH> You must think you're so cool.
<Art> I found a problem in your genius bitcoin-killing code so yeah.
<CH> You're full of shit. And I still got a bigger log than you.
<Art> *typetypetype* You do now.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:43:07 PM

I am defending Solidcoin as a viable alternative.  Public statements made by Coinhunter should not have been made, I don't denounce that, to me it's a non-issue because he IS doing good work outside of that and that is all I care about.  MORE-SO are the dumb asses out here who vilified him even before they had reason to (Smoothie-in-his-ass, wolftaurd, King Douchebag, the whole lot of them)... this is the part that makes me sick you guys are letting those guys run the show out here when you should be just as often letting them know that they are fucked up one side and down the other as well.

And here's the kicker and the ultimate point I am trying to make, I don't care if Artforz "revealed his real self", what Artforz did was f'ing dispicable ... he should be banned from these forums at a very minimum and Gavin as the de-facto head around here should denounce his actions.  Above all else I'll shut up completely as soon as I see as many posts out here complaining about Coinhunter also complaining about Artforz and calling the scum sucker to be banned from these forums and as much public association with Bitcoin as possible.  He hurt innocent bystanders directly, it wasn't just a bug gone wrong it would have been criminal if cryptocurrency was in fact legally recognized currency, for that at least and unfortunately we probably can't bring him up on charges.  And to note... I didn't loose anything because of the scum sucker, but he did something far worse than Coinhunter ever did.

So please explain to me how I "vilified" him? The guy was a dick from the start. Any comments that disagreed with him or sometimes even agreed with him he would talk down to and belittle.

Once again please take your whining and crying to your precious solidcointalk.org site. We don't need anymore babies on this forum that can't handle hearing the truth.

thanks for coming.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:49:28 PM

My only question is: With the real possibility of a viable open-source SC client with good peeps helping the dev movement, should we hang on to our Solidcoins or dump them like Smoothie advised?

Mousepotato
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:52:13 PM

My only question is: With the real possibility of a viable open-source SC client with good peeps helping the dev movement, should we hang on to our Solidcoins or dump them like Smoothie advised?

I've already unloaded all of mine. I am sure there will be alternative block chains in the near future that have much more to offer than solidcoin has.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: