Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoinTorrentz.com - Torrent Download Service  (Read 57150 times)
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 06:08:56 PM

Even at the old rate of 0.1 BTC per GB, that's over 40 GB downloaded through the service, and in actuality probably much more after you lowered the rates.  Seems to be off to a very popular start!

I'm trying to think of other things I could download to help you out, but there's only so many times you can upgrade Knoppix, ya know?  Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 07:27:32 PM

Even at the old rate of 0.1 BTC per GB, that's over 40 GB downloaded through the service, and in actuality probably much more after you lowered the rates.  Seems to be off to a very popular start!

I'm trying to think of other things I could download to help you out, but there's only so many times you can upgrade Knoppix, ya know?  Tongue

Yeah, the reception has been better than I had even imagined! I'm monitoring my Google Analytics stats obsessively! 3,776 page views since the site went online, 620 unique visitors total. And it's growing every day.

Also, I have added a Facebook Like and Google+1 widget to the top-right of the website header. If you like the site, why not share the link with your friends and circles!

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 07:29:30 PM

Just a quick THANK YOU to whoever sent the 0.5 BTC donation just now!
I don't know if you'll see this message, but if you do, you have my sincere gratitude.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 10:22:52 PM

And for interested shareholders, the service has generated total earnings of 4.01679 btc since launch (12 days ago).
This is WAY above my initial growth targets, so we are well on track.

Hey guys. It seems I'm not as "offline" as I thought I'd be during my vacation. So glad I brought this old tiny computer. I'm learning to type on the miniature keyboard, too Wink.

Of course I have to add my 2 cents:

About the on-site ads: Please don't! It's a service I pay for and there should be no ads whatsoever. Ads just make a site look so much less serious and greedy. After all I pay for this service. This also applies when I don't register. I really like not having to register (although I did, for the referral stuff). Am I not a valued customer if I don't register and have to look at ads? Please give this good thought before you go that route, you wont be able to measure how many people are driven away by this, please don't underestimate the negative effect ads have on people, especially on a pay-site.

4 BTC revenue: wow! I first thought: hell guys, don't get too excited, a large portion came from my wallet, but then I realized I was off by an order of a magnitude. It's really reassuring the service gets used so much. Assuming an average download size of 0.5 GB that'd be about 80 purchases, right? That'd be over 10% of the people going from visit to purchase. Awesome numbers!

cheers and keep up the great work.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 01:30:22 AM

@molecular:

With regards to the advertisements. I think I agree, but it could earn a potentially good income stream. I have thought about it, and I really don't want to devote any space to banners, but a small button 117x30px (the size of the image in my sig) could be placed somewhere with only minor annoyance to end-users. I don't think this should turn people away, most people just skim right over them anyway. And it would not be in a highly prominent area.

I'm not saying that I will do it, and I fully agree that advertisements on a fee paying website are not appropriate as I already mentioned above. But at the same time... it's just a tiny little advertisement, and any revenue generated would be passed along to shareholders as a dividend! Wink

I am still considering it.

And with regards to numbers, as of right now, there have been 71 downloads, paying an average fee of 0.05657 btc each (some paid more, some much less, and some paid while prices were double what they were). That's an average of about 6 downloads per day. My initial business projections assumed a growth rate of +1 daily download/two weeks. This assumed an average of only 1 download per day until week 3, when it has in fact there has been an average of about 6 downloads per day.

The service really is exceeding my expectations.
Here's hoping that it keeps growing and that peoples interest in this service continues!

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:19:27 AM

Do you have any plans to allow registered users to create a top up account?
I'd much rather make a single deposit of say 0.5btc once, so that I don't have to go through the whole payment process each time, and also we wouldn't need to pay the small bitcoin fee for each micro payment.
Since you already have accounts for the referral programme it should relatively easy to implement.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:41:39 AM

Very excited for you.  I will place your banner in my and on my other pages.
Ricochet

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 04:12:08 AM

I'm having some issues.  I copy-pasted the .torrent link (also tried uploading directly), and the site tells me that the file is instantly available when it's not physically possible for you to have the full download that quickly.`The page keeps refreshing every few seconds, but I do not know when it's actually safe to download my files.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 04:17:51 AM

I'm having some issues.  I copy-pasted the .torrent link (also tried uploading directly), and the site tells me that the file is instantly available when it's not physically possible for you to have the full download that quickly.`The page keeps refreshing every few seconds, but I do not know when it's actually safe to download my files.

This is probably occurring because the exact torrent you have selected has been recently downloaded by someone else already. The server serves up the file that has already been downloaded, rather than downloading it again. I am aware of the refresh glitch, I will have that fixed in the next live update. It is safe to go ahead and download whatever torrent you selected.

@dancupid: I like your suggestion a lot! Adding a deposit account for members might be a really good idea, and save regular users on transfer fees. You are right, it should be quite easy to implement. I will see if I can get something together for the next update too.

@Bitcoin Swami: Thanks so much for your support mate. Really appreciate it.

Ricochet

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 04:43:03 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2011, 05:25:52 AM by Ricochet

After I gave it some time, the download links became valid.  My apologies for the premature badmouthing.

EDIT: Drunken re-payments aside.
dancupid

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 06:16:50 AM

This is probably occurring because the exact torrent you have selected has been recently downloaded by someone else already. The server serves up the file that has already been downloaded, rather than downloading it again. I am aware of the refresh glitch, I will have that fixed in the next live update. It is safe to go ahead and download whatever torrent you selected.

Actually I had the same problem (I was downloading something fairly obscure so I doubt very much it has already been downloaded before).
The page refreshes every few seconds, but just indicates that the file has already downloaded. Once it has really downloaded it stops refreshing itself.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 02:25:52 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2011, 02:45:24 PM by mjcmurfy

Hmm. I just had a look over the code again, and it seems that one of the modifications i made to re-use duplicate torrents has gone a bit awry. I have removed the offending code until I have it working correctly.

The site is working perfectly fine as of now, except if you try to add a torrent already added by someone else. In which case you will get to the status page, and it will show 100% complete, but will not move on and give you the actual download link. It will just keep refreshing.

In the unlikely even that anyone experiences this problem (or any other for that matter) while I am trying to squash these bugs, it is a simple issue to fix through directly through the database, so please do not hesitate to reply in this thread, PM me, or email me through the contact page on the bitcointorrentz.com website.

I usually respond instantly to emails.

Ben Walsh (beamer)

Activity: 343

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 04:00:42 PM

What would your prices be for HTTPS downloading ?

I have some potential customers BUT they want HTTPS for the additional privacy. (They would also require HTTPS to the website itself)
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 05:28:08 PM

Ok, the status page bug discussed earlier has now been fixed. Thanks guys for being my beta testing guinea pigs! Smiley
The page still needs to be converted to use ajax rather than a javascript reload, but this is already in the works.

@Ben Walsh: in order to provide https downloading, I would have to obtain a ssl certificate from a certificate authority, which is quite pricey. I could generate my own self-signed certificate, but that often throws up trust errors to end-users and might scare people away. Right now, the best I can do is provide users with FTP-SSL access (encrypted ftp, i.e. ftps), on request. If they want HTTPS access to the site itself, they could just access it through TOR, providing similar levels of encryption and anonymity from snooping. Also, this would not affect the speed of their remote downloads negatively.

bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 11:59:06 PM

What would your prices be for HTTPS downloading ?

I have some potential customers BUT they want HTTPS for the additional privacy. (They would also require HTTPS to the website itself)

To add to this, I wonder if it may also be useful for some customers to have an alternate discreet URL, say "btctz.com", (and possibly hashed/obscured filenames like I mentioned before). This could prevent (or rather, delay) getting caught for downloading torrents by nosy sys-admins.  Wink

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 02:54:18 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2011, 11:29:01 PM by mjcmurfy

@bitfoo: I'm not sure really how necessary an alternate url is. It's already torentZ with a z. As for the obscuring of filenames, it would be rather difficult to implement in multi-file torrents. You would have to recurse through the directory and rename every directory and file to a random string. This would make navigation through the contents a nightmare. I am trying to think of ways of achieving this without having to rename the actual torrent files themselves. Perhaps place them in a randomly generated directory instead?

mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 11:32:20 PM

With regards to updates to the site, I have added affiliate banners with the users referral link pre-formatted into HTML and forum BBcode for easy copy-paste insertion. These can be found within the members area:

I have also added further affiliate statistics to the members area: earnings per hit and conversion rate.

These are pretty much self explanatory, but just for the sake of clarity, earnings per hit is your average earnings per referral visit rounded to 6 decimal places. Conversion rate is the number of downloads your referee's have made as a percentage of your total hits. Both of these are indicators of how well the affiliate program is working out for you.

I have also made some major syntax improvements to the code, which is not really evident to the end user, but will make future updates much easier to implement.

Keep torrenting guys! Cheesy

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 05:17:57 PM

Made my own banner, mostly because I never got to use that glyph I made a couple of months ago.

Edit: Come to think of it, it looks more like a button. Whatevs.
dancupid

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 05:52:44 PM

With regards to updates to the site, I have added affiliate banners with the users referral link pre-formatted into HTML and forum BBcode for easy copy-paste insertion. These can be found within the members area:

I have also added further affiliate statistics to the members area: earnings per hit and conversion rate.

These are pretty much self explanatory, but just for the sake of clarity, earnings per hit is your average earnings per referral visit rounded to 6 decimal places. Conversion rate is the number of downloads your referee's have made as a percentage of your total hits. Both of these are indicators of how well the affiliate program is working out for you.

I have also made some major syntax improvements to the code, which is not really evident to the end user, but will make future updates much easier to implement.

Do you have any other bitcoin related projects in mind? (I could do with a bitcoin VPN)
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 06:02:18 PM

Do you have any other bitcoin related projects in mind? (I could do with a bitcoin VPN)
Mullvad's got that on lock-down.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: