Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoinTorrentz.com - Torrent Download Service  (Read 57150 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 07:14:57 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2012, 11:54:57 PM by molecular

One question: you said a project currently has exactly one payment type. It seems to me the site "ticks" in USD. Is it possible for a project owner to specify that he wants to receive the funding in bitcoins and specify the "funds needed" in BTC? I'm assuming everything is currently exchanged into USD at the payment stage, right?

wrong thread, sorry guys for the confusion. this was meant for the piratemyfilm bitcoin payment thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64802, but I somehow managed to post to the wrong thread.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marks1976

Activity: 893
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:21:43 PM

Thank you mjcmurfy for the nice dividend payout.  I love to see the growth and usage pick up. 

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:58:49 AM

@2weix: I have replied promptly to your PM's, so I don't know why you keep posting about me being AWOL. I do not need your leave to be absent from this forum, nor does the site require my 24/7 presence here to operate. I have already explained why I am not around as much as I used to be. BitCoinTalk.org has absolutely no affiliation with bitcointorrentz.com and I have zero obligation to you or anyone else to hang around this forum.

hi mj,

my comments were in no way implying that you had abandoned the project. in hindsight, it might've been better to use "MIA" instead of AWOL, since of course you do not require my permission to log out of these forums^^.

Why I said it, tho? I sent you two or three PMs which went unanswered (I don't save them in my outbox, so no proof possible), and that one problem with the window that didn't open persisted for a couple of days. Nothing to get upset about (which I didn't) - just found it strange that you wouldn't want to give some kind of statement in the thread. Of course I was aware of your new job, didn't mean to hassle you.

I guess most of the bitcoin people would see bitcointalk as the nexus of most bitcoin-community-operated businesses. So it would only make sense to me if you checked in every once in a while if there's a problem, just to let us know you're on it (and alive^^). Maybe you could subscribe to the thread just to see when there's action in here and keep up to date with your users? It's kinda strange when the site isnt working for a couple of days and there's no word from you.

also - please think of integrating magnet links since most torrent sites are switching to magnet instead of torrent files? ^^

I am a shareholder AND frequent customer, so the reliability of your service is important to me.

So please accept my apologies and keep working on that site, it rocks^^
mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 12:15:31 AM

@2wiex:

My apologies if my post seemed offhand, I had a pretty stressful week and was not in the best mood when I was posting the dividend announcement. Please be assured that I am not holding any kind of grudge against you or anything, and to be quite honest, you were right to bring me up on the fact that I have not been around as much as I would prefer. Unfortunately, my new job involves me working 60+ hours per week meaning I don't have very much time to myself at the moment.

I can still take care of issues with the site, it's just difficult to be as efficient as i was before when I don't have access to my PC for the majority of the day. I'm subscribed to the thread, but you only get 1 notification of unread replies then it stops sending you emails.

With regards to magnet links, I was working on implementing them just before christmas, but I lost all the code in a stupid error and was too frustrated to start again from scratch. I will hopefully try to implement it soon though once I get some free time to develop the site a little more.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 12:51:11 PM

I'm trying out your service. I started a torrent and it downloaded to your server quickly - about 1MB/s. But now when I download it to my system it only comes down at about 40kB/s. This makes it kind of useless to me. My intention was to be able to stream it so I could watch it sooner than waiting for the full torrent to arrive here but at this speed even streaming won't work. I don't think the problem is my link as I often download stuff (including torrents too) that come in at 400-500 kB/s. My ISP rates my line at 5 Mb/s.

So I don't know but at this speed it's not much use. Or maybe there is just some current issue preventing faster downloading?

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:00:41 PM

So I don't know but at this speed it's not much use. Or maybe there is just some current issue preventing faster downloading?

I can stream at at least 400KBps, though I'm in Europe. However, it was around 200KBps before I switched ISPs, so there may be different factors affecting the speed.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:58:16 PM

I'm trying out your service. I started a torrent and it downloaded to your server quickly - about 1MB/s. But now when I download it to my system it only comes down at about 40kB/s. This makes it kind of useless to me. My intention was to be able to stream it so I could watch it sooner than waiting for the full torrent to arrive here but at this speed even streaming won't work. I don't think the problem is my link as I often download stuff (including torrents too) that come in at 400-500 kB/s. My ISP rates my line at 5 Mb/s.

I have a similar situation, but I found that the best option is to use a download accelerator like FlashGet that allows you to split the file up into multiple simultaneous downloads.  Set it to the maximum number of threads and you should be getting faster speeds.

I know that with FlashGet, you can still open the incomplete file in VLC as it's being downloaded, which is a roundabout way of streaming it.  It works at least.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:04:33 PM

I have a similar situation, but I found that the best option is to use a download accelerator like FlashGet that allows you to split the file up into multiple simultaneous downloads.  Set it to the maximum number of threads and you should be getting faster speeds.

And here is the reason why bandwidth gets distributed unevenly amongst downloaders ;|

Unless the other site on the server uses much bandwidth (which I don't assume is the case), seeing people complain here about bandwidth issues means we have good usage Wink.

At some point - given continous growth - it might be worth thinking about the cost (money and work) of an upgrade. It's certainly putting off some user if they only get 40kB/s download. Ideally it should be (most of the time) fast enough for streaming a "normal" DVD-quality avi, so the above use-case (a strong one, I think) can flourish.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 03:06:51 PM

Do you really think that the server is so overloaded that 40 KB/s is "normal"?  As we discussed on page 3 of this thread, it's more likely the distance to the server that's causing the bottleneck.  I'm not going to apologize for using a download manager when I'm not causing any adverse effects to other users.
memvola

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 04:07:53 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 05:52:45 PM by memvola

Do you really think that the server is so overloaded that 40 KB/s is "normal"?  As we discussed on page 3 of this thread, it's more likely the distance to the server that's causing the bottleneck.  I'm not going to apologize for using a download manager when I'm not causing any adverse effects to other users.

Yes, your connection to the server (distance?) is the main factor I think. Besides, multi-threaded downloads take less time, so the effect on the server should be the same on average even if everyone used multi-threaded downloads.

(I just tested a single thread download, I get 630K/s from home, 3.2M/s from a server in Germany. So, the issue seems route related, server is fine. Also, I can fill my home bandwidth limit with multiple connections.)
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 04:27:11 PM

i only have 2MBit DSL  but am always d/ling with full capacity (210kb/s) with the help of "Down them All!" in firefox.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:10:11 PM

Do you really think that the server is so overloaded that 40 KB/s is "normal"?  As we discussed on page 3 of this thread, it's more likely the distance to the server that's causing the bottleneck.  I'm not going to apologize for using a download manager when I'm not causing any adverse effects to other users.

I'm sorry, I didn't expect you to apologize. I don't care much about wether you do or not.

I re-read page 3 and I can't find discussion of why the distance to the server could cause slowdown in bandwidth.

Can you explain this to me? I don't understand how latency could limit bandwidth, since I already downloaded large files at 10 mbit (max of the connection) through a satellite link with 500ms latency using only 1 http connection.

Also just tried another large dl from bitcointorrentz at 577kB/s (about 50% of my bandwidth). Will try multi-connection download next with another file.

mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 05:34:45 PM

I just checked the server, and it is currently uploading at 5mb/s, but even at that 40 kB/s is unlikely to be caused by intensive server usage as the server should automatically balance the load across all it's connections. Some ISP's with poor morals limit speeds to bandwidth intensive IP addresses. With torrents, you connect to many various and unique IP addresses meaning you may not otherwise notice it. This may be the case for you BkkCoins. What ISP do you use?

The only other thing I can think of is that your connectivity to the server may be rather poor. The server is located in Luxembourg in Europe, so there may be a bottleneck somewhere between your computer and the server at certain times of the day. Have you been receiving 40kb/s regularly, or was this just a once off?

There may be some issues with the server hosting company too, but I have not seen any notifications from them about it.
Please let me know if this continues to be an issue.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 06:21:26 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 06:51:47 PM by BkkCoins

I just checked the server, and it is currently uploading at 5mb/s, but even at that 40 kB/s is unlikely to be caused by intensive server usage as the server should automatically balance the load across all it's connections. Some ISP's with poor morals limit speeds to bandwidth intensive IP addresses. With torrents, you connect to many various and unique IP addresses meaning you may not otherwise notice it. This may be the case for you BkkCoins. What ISP do you use?

The only other thing I can think of is that your connectivity to the server may be rather poor. The server is located in Luxembourg in Europe, so there may be a bottleneck somewhere between your computer and the server at certain times of the day. Have you been receiving 40kb/s regularly, or was this just a once off?

There may be some issues with the server hosting company too, but I have not seen any notifications from them about it.
Please let me know if this continues to be an issue.
I regularly download torrents at 300-500 kBps so my local connection is capable. I have only tried downloading from your server this once though and can't report more than that. It varied between 20-45 kBps but after 4 hours or so I just canceled it. I did try a download manager briefly later (using axel on linux with 6 connections) and it went up to 320 kBps. Then I tried again in Firefox and it was doing about 50 kBps. So I'm thinking it's a per connection limit.

The RTT can limit the throughput over TCP due to packets needing to be ACK'd but I don't my current TCP window size and RTT to definitely say this is the reason. Your server didn't respond to pings so I couldn't determine that. I'd guess about 350 ms though and with a typical 65K rwin value that would work out to a 187 kBps limit (according to here). But I don't know off hand my actual tcp window size so this is just guessing. (Note, according to that wiki article your server should have suitable send buffers as well since it must keep the sent packets around until the ACK comes back. So you may want to explore TCP tuning as it could be you're not using your available bandwidth when users are connected with a high RTT).

Also if your server has 10 Mbps upload then wouldn't some significant portion of that be used up by active torrents? Or are the torrent connections on a different interface/system? And then there is a variable number of other users who would be sharing that limit at any time for downloads.

Anyway, I already had the file before so I was testing this out to see if it was worthwhile for me. It seems if I use a download manager like axel (or Flashget etc) then the speed can be quite good but otherwise not.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

How do I get a torrent file to see what your site says about it, cost wise, from a magnet link..

Im using pirate bay for instance...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 12:37:46 PM

How do I get a torrent file to see what your site says about it, cost wise, from a magnet link..

Im using pirate bay for instance...

magnet link support has been requested as a feature a couple posts above.

I think currently you'll have to resort to findin a torrent file or link to one ;|

memvola

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:42:08 PM

Converting magnet links isn't very straightforward. You need to connect to the bittorrent network and download the torrent file corresponding to the link from peers. Better wait for the site to directly support it.
teflone

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:54:57 AM

jesus..

I would have paid already 30 times over if I actually was in the loop of torrent sites (now Hash sites) other than pirate bay..

Cant seem to find a torrent file for the move I want... dammit..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
teflone

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:18:31 AM

Ok, figured it out and tried it..

Ummmm really really really dissappointed..

I tried them each, alone..

Downloading the actual torrent was much much faster...  1.5 + megs a sec..

yours was about 7 hours for a 4 gig file..

much much slower...  im not sure of the conversion, but compared to my torrent downloader and the file download through your site.. it was no contest...

that was a waste of 0.2 bitcoins frankly..

And why is this service useful ?

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 07:28:41 AM

It's probably only useful for people who have torrents blocked or throttled. It may be useful if you don't want your IP recorded when using torrents and perhaps if you stream media after downloading it to their server (but only if you're close enough to get good enough speed).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: