Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:31:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed  (Read 19364 times)
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:30:29 PM

GPUs had their advantages but they did for Bitcoin too, the story is pretty similar and GPUs are irrelevant today for SHA256 mining.

Yep.  So a new coin will come out with a new algorithm because we can't let our GPU farms die...

Cheesy
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
krisj

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:55:37 PM

your comparison is wrong. look at the first post of this thread. this ASIC is just a little bit energy efficient and generate just a little bit less heat than gpus. But the asic is two times expensive than gpus.
and remember, gpus have a second hand market.
The energy efficiency advantage isn't small— it's similar to the improvement early Bitcoin asics achieved over GPUs— and don't forget the secondary costs (PSUs, motherboards and slots, etc.) that these miners will reduce.  The price is a product of the manufacturers pricing of an exclusive bleeding edge part— these are not chips which costs more to produce than GPUs by any means— even absent competition you can expect the pricing to eventually achieve whatever amount allows them to sell a metric boat load of them and the power efficiency will drive GPUs out of the market. This is my prediction at least.

GPUs had their advantages but they did for Bitcoin too, the story is pretty similar and GPUs are irrelevant today for SHA256 mining.

Agreed.

but those chinese ASIC discussed in this thread are not evolved enough to replace gpus. in future ASICs will replce gpus.

Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:59:26 PM

Agreed.

but those chinese ASIC discussed in this thread are not evolved enough to replace gpus. in future ASICs will replce gpus.

Will they?  Or will a new algo replace Scrypt?

PotatoMcGruff

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:30:17 PM

The price on these is absolutely retarded.. We'd all be better off paying .4 for block erupters, or just buying an S1, 2 GPUs and throwing away the extra 1 or 2 BTC.

I'll buy as many as I can when they come out for the realistic price point of $100 per unit. Until then, please everyone be stupid enough to buy these so I can soak up all of the profitable hardware out there.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:38:33 PM

The price on these is absolutely retarded.. We'd all be better off paying .4 for block erupters, or just buying an S1, 2 GPUs and throwing away the extra 1 or 2 BTC.

I'll buy as many as I can when they come out for the realistic price point of $100 per unit. Until then, please everyone be stupid enough to buy these so I can soak up all of the profitable hardware out there.

sigh, please do a little more research before throwing your "opinion" around.  12 days registered and you are an expert huh?  Well I will buy these, and your so called more profitable hardware and be happy and make a lot of money.

I like how people do either
a) no research and spout information like they know things
or
b) research but give no cognitive thought to their findings and spout information like they know things.

Either way it leads to posts like the above.  Thanks for your contribution.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
PotatoMcGruff

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:48:34 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 09:02:10 PM by PotatoMcGruff

You do realize they already sold a batch @ $66 USD right? I'll wait and get them from the manufacturer for $100 per like I said.

Thanks again for your input.
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:14:24 PM

I read an article on cryptonews about these today
http://www.dualminer.com/DualMiner-USB_p_16.html

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:17:13 PM

I read an article on cryptonews about these today
http://www.dualminer.com/DualMiner-USB_p_16.html

HUGE price
Damnsammit

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:19:51 PM

What?  You don't want to spend $100 for something that can hash at a whopping 70kH/s !?

I'd buy 10 of these and trade them for a 7950...  *does maths* wait... Lips sealed
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 10:28:12 PM

I would buy at least a gross of these if they meet 100-150% the cost of a gpu per khash maybe even 200-500% or more.

If you have "a couple" of miners in your farm or you are managing a few rigs zip tied to cardboard in the corner these are likely far to expensive.  If you have a few racks of equipment or a few rooms of equipment you can start to see the potential in the reduced footprint alone that these offer.  

The same as asics did with GPU's for sha256.  We could stack a crapload (something like 20x hashpower just on BFL FPGA's) of asics in the same space we used to have a box of 6 GPU's.  

GPU's have followed a very defined wave cycle of supply/demand with card model releases sprinkled in for the 6x 7x and now Rx series.  It's doubtful that trend will end anytime soon as it follows most mainstream trends in computing power allocation.  I could definitely see the next boom in scrypt mining coming from these FPGA/ASIC projects which will then flood the market with GPU's and move us into the next cycle.

Now how to get in front of it?

Here's a tip: When the GPU market gets flooded with used cards and stock levels start remaining stable with retailers.  Just hold your GPU's in a box for 3-12Months.  Then sell them off for similar prices to the current bubble.

Analyticse

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 10:40:54 PM

How much price?

please more informations inm studio
we need know

what and how

temperature
volts
megahashs/khashs
etc.....................................

i am interest mining scripts coins analogs litecoin is posible?

what rate % power
i am wont know this what and how

i am Rusian
2014 now asics but intelectual intuition i am understands

you make video? review or instructions?
cryptomining (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:46:34 AM

UPDATE

If i haven't answered your pm's, i'm sorry.

Hopefully a meaningful update soon.
AllanAV

Activity: 54

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:22:55 AM

The pictures posted are of heat sinks with fan and a LED, I dd not see any chip?
Judging by the pictures I'd call it scam. Has anyone received this yet? Does it work?
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:28:59 AM

The pictures posted are of heat sinks with fan and a LED, I dd not see any chip?
Judging by the pictures I'd call it scam. Has anyone received this yet? Does it work?

I will be receiving a similar device (different seller) either today or tomorrow. The device is real but is really hard to find right now.

Message me if you have any problems
cryptohead

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:29:20 PM

Does anyone know why they'd be able to release a BTC+LTC asic a lot easier than an exclusive LTC asic? There is a huge arms race right now in the LTC world for the first ASIC so I don't understand why these guys wouldn't go "all in" on a LTC asic.  They would be the first, and reap huge rewards for that.

As far as I know, there is a SHA component to hashing scrypt. In adition, the pin layout of the gridseed chip is identical to the second generation Avalon chip. That was cloned in China. So guess!

What I don't get is why the established players: Avalon, Cointerra, KNC did not jump the script bandwagon? It was bound to happen sooner or later, and they already had most of the know how. Now it seems China has caught up and leads in this tech.
adib

Activity: 368

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:52:19 PM

IMHO the big boys are slicing the pie, major players stick with BTC as China was late... they are allowed scrypt.

TIPS - 19JLxDkCfn5x667xCeSgmYNop4WLR3ci27
aesma

Activity: 2352
Merit: 908

fly or die

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:44:00 AM

I would buy at least a gross of these if they meet 100-150% the cost of a gpu per khash maybe even 200-500% or more.

If you have "a couple" of miners in your farm or you are managing a few rigs zip tied to cardboard in the corner these are likely far to expensive.  If you have a few racks of equipment or a few rooms of equipment you can start to see the potential in the reduced footprint alone that these offer.  

The same as asics did with GPU's for sha256.  We could stack a crapload (something like 20x hashpower just on BFL FPGA's) of asics in the same space we used to have a box of 6 GPU's.  

GPU's have followed a very defined wave cycle of supply/demand with card model releases sprinkled in for the 6x 7x and now Rx series.  It's doubtful that trend will end anytime soon as it follows most mainstream trends in computing power allocation.  I could definitely see the next boom in scrypt mining coming from these FPGA/ASIC projects which will then flood the market with GPU's and move us into the next cycle.

Now how to get in front of it?

Here's a tip: When the GPU market gets flooded with used cards and stock levels start remaining stable with retailers.  Just hold your GPU's in a box for 3-12Months.  Then sell them off for similar prices to the current bubble.

Except that 20nm GPUs are supposed to come out this year. Also, current GPUs are not optimized for GPU compute, in fact they're unoptimized so that nvidia and AMD can sell professional cards to professionals for more money. In the case of nvidia you can even say they're crippled.

That's why an R9 290X is only a bit faster on scrypt than a 7970 when it has a lot more transistors and "raw power", it's a decision by AMD. If they realize that they could sell a lot more high end cards by removing the "unoptimization", GPUs could get closer to ASIC efficiency.
AllanAV

Activity: 54

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:14:10 AM

I will be receiving a similar device (different seller) either today or tomorrow. The device is real but is really hard to find right now.

Where should I look for these devices?
 The only place I found was the wedsite above. Or what should I look for?
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:19:38 AM

Agreed.

Will they?  Or will a new algo replace Scrypt?

litecoin devs will not replace scrypt. most scrypt coins will stay scrypt, the networks will just be secured by ASICS instead of GPUs.
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:53:33 AM

Where should I look for these devices?
 The only place I found was the wedsite above. Or what should I look for?
I have found them on www.alibaba.com in addition to the site I posted above. it sounds like a couple of forum members are awaiting the arrival of their miners from these places. one, I think, posted that he/she would have one this weekend.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: