Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:53:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Giveaway threads are not allowed  (Read 901743 times)
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2069

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:31:21 AM

Thank you theymos.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:32:48 AM

I'm really sorry to see this.  As a newbie the main way I learned about alt coins were these forums and the giveaways were great.  I can see bringing the hammer if they were not being restricted to this forum but a total ban?  Seems counter-intuitive - too many people liked it so you are banning it?

Your forum your rules.
BorisTheSpider

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:19:45 AM

managing a large forum is a thankless job, so a big thanks for this.  

I appreciate the altcoin forums being hosted here as it got me into scrypt mining in the first place.  however long they stay here, i'm happy to read and participate.

However, the conduct and signal:noise is completely different in the altcoin subfora than the rest of the site.  The useless crap that's spewing out of this forum means i can't even read the altcoin forum anymore for information, which is why i came here in the first place.  I can only imagine what users that have been here for years think about the shitty spam-spewing altcoin forum, or the shitty users that inhabit it (like me!)

lots of people in this thread should check whatever entitlement they think they have at the door.   This forum has close to a quarter million members, and anybody that thinks admins that run this site are lazy or bored has lost the plot.  

I agree entirely with this. I recently ran some giveaways myself to help get the word out about VTC and although I can appreciate not being able to do them here does limit the exposure new coins can get, I can understand the reasoning behind stopping them.
chetalk

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:10:19 AM

Not a good idea! Sad
drakoin

Activity: 826

see my profile

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:40:32 AM

"Alternate Cryptocurrencies" actually
has the highest number of posts here,
and third highest number of topics.

no sign of a signature
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:46:34 AM

People don't seem to understand. Essentially we are saying, we don't want your coin spam here. Take it to your own forums, Bitcointalk doesn't cater to thousands of threads about *insert coin*. We aren't motivated to keep the conversation here, so a vote wont do anything, we are trying to get you to take your conversations elsewhere.

People that are saying, FIX IT OR WE WILL LEAVE! thats kind of our intentions. Obviously we don't want people to leave the bitcoin discussion here, but we do want you to take the majority of your altcoin discussion elsewhere. This is Bitcointalk, it can't handle the alt coin discussion volume for 600 different coins, so we are asking that you take it to your own forums.

KeyserSozeMC, we are trying to get people to do exactly what you are doing. Creating your own forums for giveaways like you are doing, I actually really appreciate it.

The main point here that is irritating that people are ignoring, if we don't cut down the post spam, IE hundreds of thousands of posts of people just pasting their addresses, we will lose the entire section. I for one would like to keep the Alt Currency section, however people seem to be ignoring the fact that creating a giveaway subforum wont help. We want the excess spam off of Bitcointalk, not just jammed in a different corner.

why not make it so each coin is aloud 1 ANN thread 1 general thread and 1 giveaway thread ?

if you want to clean up the altcoins section you have stuck your self in the corner as altcoins needs giveaways but they have everything else here
that they need

if you want people to take it to there own forum you need to remove everything other than coin ANN threads until that happens everyone has 0 incentive to move of the forum

what I can do is offer everyone a Free forum under a sub domain of www.altcointalk.co.uk it donations would be nice but not necessary

I can also make people a dedicated section for there coin on altcointalk

plans to relaunch the site were meant to be in a few weeks but I can bring that forward  

KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 02:49:23 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435883.msg4789666#msg4789666 <= Solution

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
wheatrich

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:50:17 AM

Just make a subforum for them ffs.  I don't see any reason for a ban.  The whole point of the giveaway is to add awareness, the only problem is when the giveaway died the topics kept getting bumped instead of locked.  The giveaway threads were the good topics in the board, the bad ones were mostly all the others.  

I just don't get why you can't give them a subforum if you hate them so much.

edit--seriously half the topics now are "this coin that's mostly the same as the others is best" and other topics that are only posted and argued on by people with self serving interests and THAT's what you ban?
GreenWins

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:57:49 AM

This seem like a good thing. The real potential coins will be here to stay and we'll get less clones coins. This will drastically change the game on the crypto world.

Mr.V

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:58:19 AM

perfect maybe those 100% premined coins will start to die now

BTC:1NwEE7C2hVLSNGwSrFvsYgTrKddCvfhRwY
KeyserSozeMC

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:08:17 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435962.0

This is what I have in my mind. If mods agree with my solution, I'd like that ^ topic gets sticky, for good of both sides Tongue
( Yeah, sharing is caring )

zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:30:46 AM

Most giveaway threads are no longer allowed in the Alternate cryptocurrencies sections. From now on, posting or replying to such threads could result in being banned. Existing threads will be locked.

Specifically, you are not allowed to give people any incentive to post insubstantial posts in your threads. You can't offer to pay people who post their addresses, usernames, etc. You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread, but you can't give people any bonus for replying to your thread.

Similar threads are already restricted to Games and Rounds in the non-altcoin sections, but the giveaway-related post volume is so high in the altcoin sections that I've decided to just ban them entirely here.

if your getting rid of giveaways this should go as well as it promotes far more spam

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=432705.0;topicseen

KeyserSozeMC

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:33:13 AM

Most giveaway threads are no longer allowed in the Alternate cryptocurrencies sections. From now on, posting or replying to such threads could result in being banned. Existing threads will be locked.

Specifically, you are not allowed to give people any incentive to post insubstantial posts in your threads. You can't offer to pay people who post their addresses, usernames, etc. You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread, but you can't give people any bonus for replying to your thread.

Similar threads are already restricted to Games and Rounds in the non-altcoin sections, but the giveaway-related post volume is so high in the altcoin sections that I've decided to just ban them entirely here.

if your getting rid of giveaways this should go as well as it promotes far more spam

You forgot primedice.

Oh.. They're paying for ads Grin

zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:35:16 AM

You forgot primedice.

Oh.. They're paying for ads Grin

all the paid to post threads should be removed due to spam it causes

forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:35:32 AM

good, and id add if a coin is premine it should also be locked or restricted.
enough of this crappy scams.

yolo
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:36:42 AM

good, and id add if a coin is premine it should also be locked or restricted.
enough of this crappy scams.

nearly every coin on here including BTC was ether premined / instamined lol

dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:06:13 AM

I totally support removing the giveaways from this forum, as I said - but this discussion has run on for too long... You made a decision why are you allowing people to keep whining in this thread about it? Just lock the thread and stand by your choice. If they want to leave, they can leave... you have said several times that you made up your mind and are sick of the complaining... I would love to see this thread locked, the issue put to bed, and the giveaway threads actually disappearing from altcoin... bc they are still spamming it up quite a bit.
rnp

Activity: 65

Bullish on BitCoins

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 05:09:45 AM

I think some of the confusion/backlash came from a disagreement from the title "Giveaway threads are not allowed" and the beginning of the post, "Most Giveaway threads are no longer allowed"

From the OP, Giveaway threads are still allowed IF you don't solicit posts on the threads (including "post your address") or some other board-spamming technique.

Otherwise, as the OP says, have people go off-site to fulfill the giveaways.

That said I like the quasi-solution of using the other board.

I'm too tired to look up what I'm talking about.

Not that anyone cares what I think.

Good night.
lasciv

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:13:19 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2014, 05:46:02 AM by lasciv

I totally support removing the giveaways from this forum, as I said - but this discussion has run on for too long... You made a decision why are you allowing people to keep whining in this thread about it? Just lock the thread and stand by your choice. If they want to leave, they can leave... you have said several times that you made up your mind and are sick of the complaining... I would love to see this thread locked, the issue put to bed, and the giveaway threads actually disappearing from altcoin... bc they are still spamming it up quite a bit.

I wouldn't. We are here to discuss, even if it be the meta, because this is Alt-meta.

I will write a rather long post about all this mess tomorrow since I feel obliged to speak up.

Edit: I changed my mind. This has gone too far. You're all crazy.
hasar

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:56:22 AM

Why not create giveaway section? I don't want leave this place for giveaways. Please. Smiley

Giveaway is nice exploring experience for noobs.

I AM A DNOTES FANS THE COIN ABOVE ALL OTHERS.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: