Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:39:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Don't Black People Use Bitcoins?  (Read 10888 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:47:47 AM

Code doesn't see color, it's DNA, ethnic origin, even species agnostic... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6vK6hI7rM

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:01:36 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/01/why-are-so-few-black-people-using-bitcoin/384268/

Lovely article

starfeeder

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:58:21 AM

Simple question: I'd like to discuss the demographics of the bitcoin community.

Why are there no people of color promoting bitcoin? What is it about bitcoin that disproportionately attracts white males? Could this extreme lack of diversity be ultimately harmful to bitcoin?

I've been following the bitcoin phenomenon for several months now. I've watched hundreds of youtube videos, read the blogs, seen the posts here, seen the conference footage from NYC... and until Bill Cosby I don't think I've seen a single African-American. OK that's not entirely true, I once spotted a dude who was in the onlyonetv studios once between broadcasts and he didn't speak at all.

From my perspective at the moment it seems the bitcoin proponents are almost entirely rich, white males with the occasional bored-looking female hanging around... Bitcoin, in a sense, could be viewed as a mechanism for prolonging the economic and social dominance of white males at the expense of everyone else. As we move towards a less racist, less sexist, more egalitarian society... Will bitcoin be a step backwards? [Well obviously it'll be a step forwards for us, but its going to be worse for everyone else]

Uhm well Black people, and whole lot of other people do use Bitcoins. I guess your title was worded wrong, because yeah we don't see many minorities talking about it in the media, but in our meetup group we see people from all backgrounds. Little light on the female gender, however...

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:01:31 AM

Newbies come into here, read old threads, and wake the dead.  Seriously, the OP was just trolling FOUR YEARS AGO!
Phin isn't a newbie. Tongue
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:07:09 AM

A question raised 4 years ago....
Demographics have definitely changed now.
A lot more Asians are using bitcoins now.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:39:51 AM

From the looks of things, that’s where the currency needs a higher profile. A study conducted in May 2014 by the Conference of State Bank Supervisors and the Massachusetts Division of Banks showed that African Americans are less likely than whites and Hispanics to have heard about virtual currencies in general. Another study, released in July 2014 by the digital media company Morning Consult, found that African Americans are less likely than white and Hispanics to know “a lot” about Bitcoin.

Hence my attempt to garner over a million sets of new eyeballs looking at Bitcoin for the very first time come this upcoming weekend via https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=918449.

If you have a better plan, let me know so that I can back it. If there's a flaw in my plan, kindly let me know so that I can fix it, otherwise step outta my way, for I'm comin' through.

Meanwhile, I'm over 10% completion with formatting Satoshi Nakamoto's white paper to be tweeted the same fashion, the goal to have it completed and up live prior to the 15th as a point of reference, of sorts, for when the I Have a Dream Twitter account goes live and starts gaining traction.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:49:27 AM

Newbies come into here, read old threads, and wake the dead.  Seriously, the OP was just trolling FOUR YEARS AGO!

That is correct! I purposely bumped this old thread; for reasons, see the post above this one.
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 05:29:15 AM

Simple question: I'd like to discuss the demographics of the bitcoin community.

Why are there no people of color promoting bitcoin? What is it about bitcoin that disproportionately attracts white males? Could this extreme lack of diversity be ultimately harmful to bitcoin?

I've been following the bitcoin phenomenon for several months now. I've watched hundreds of youtube videos, read the blogs, seen the posts here, seen the conference footage from NYC... and until Bill Cosby I don't think I've seen a single African-American. OK that's not entirely true, I once spotted a dude who was in the onlyonetv studios once between broadcasts and he didn't speak at all.

From my perspective at the moment it seems the bitcoin proponents are almost entirely rich, white males with the occasional bored-looking female hanging around... Bitcoin, in a sense, could be viewed as a mechanism for prolonging the economic and social dominance of white males at the expense of everyone else. As we move towards a less racist, less sexist, more egalitarian society... Will bitcoin be a step backwards? [Well obviously it'll be a step forwards for us, but its going to be worse for everyone else]

the great thing about bitcoins is ANONYMITY, how do you knwo for sure you" have not seen a single African American" what makes you believe this?

philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:02:42 PM

lol..Im pretty sure they use it.!! If they know of it.! I'm doing my part spreading awareness.!! the no of adopters is on the rise..just hope BTC doesnt collapse.! or get into the news for all the wrong reasons.!

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:47:01 PM

Newbies come into here, read old threads, and wake the dead.  Seriously, the OP was just trolling FOUR YEARS AGO!

Compared to myself, you all are.

BTW, in all my recollection, I've never been white.  So don't assume that just because some study somewhere said something that it actually means anything.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
therealjonnyd

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:51:52 PM

I just came here to giggle at the name of the thread. Carry on.

JD
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:02:34 PM

The answer is simple. They are into oil... black gold.   Grin

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Marcoser123321

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:04:11 PM

This is a fairly messed up thread. I know at least one person who uses BTC for every race there is on the planet. Bitcoins are a global currency, and I hope it stays that way. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: