Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:06:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bit-Pay Mobile Checkout - this changes everything!  (Read 7849 times)
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 01:34:17 AM

Really smart feature. You're making real life payments with bitcoins almost as easy as online payments.

Is there any specific protocol for QR-Codes? I noticed you used address=...?amount=... Are there any other QR Code specifications common to all mobile wallets? This reminds me of this thread.

PS: in the screenshot from Step 3 you actually couldn't make the payment, could you? It says 0 available BTCs
PSS: this chick looks even hotter than the other one Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:43:54 AM

Really smart feature. You're making real life payments with bitcoins almost as easy as online payments.

Only the merchant has to type in the total.  For the buyer, tt's even easier.  Open wallet, Scan, Send.  No typing!

I tried a bunch of wallets, and they all worked fine.  In the video we do make actual payments using Mt Gox Mobile.  That seems to be the best wallet right now.  But for the screencap on the website I needed something brand-neutral.  and through a bit of testing, I had emptied the wallet :/

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 05:57:36 AM

A functional currency is also something you can hold to preserve most of your purchasing power for hours, days, weeks and months. This is not true for Bitcoin, counting since June.

but it certainly is true of bitcoin counting since March. so i guess it depends on exactly when you count from, huh? Cheesy

by the way bit-pay guys/girls, this is awesome work! i'm using Andreas' Android wallet and happy with it so far.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 06:17:13 AM

OK, let's do some due diligence.

bit-pay.com
"Domain control only" SSL cert.
No business address found on site.
Traceroute leads to a Rackspace location.

Bit-Pay, LLC
Dun and Bradstreet has a report.
411 E AMELIA ST, ORLANDO, FL

Checking address:
Property type:   Residential Duplex (2 units)
Last sale:    $635,000  on May 10th, 2005
Bedrooms:   4
Bathrooms:   3
Year built:   1925

Also at this address:
SOOPERMODELS LLC, 411 E AMELIA ST, ORLANDO, Florida
http://www.soopermodels.com/
operates "Stare Magazine"
http://www.staremagazine.com/
Listed under bit-pay "Featured Merchants" on
https://bit-pay.com/featuredMerchants.html

Also at this address
AEROTECH

Checking Florida corporate registration:

Florida Limited Liability Company
BIT-PAY LLC
Filing Information
Document Number   L11000063599
FEI/EIN Number   NONE
Date Filed   05/31/2011
State   FL
Status   ACTIVE

Principal Address
411 E AMELIA ST
ORLANDO FL 32803

Mailing Address
411 E AMELIA ST
ORLANDO FL 32803

Registered Agent Name & Address
BUSINESS FILINGS INCORPORATED
1203 GOVERNORS SQUARE BLVD STE 101
TALLAHASSEE FL 32301-2960 US

Manager/Member Detail Name & Address:

Title MGRM
GALLIPPI, ANTHONY
411 E AMELIA ST
ORLANDO FL 32803

Title MGRM
PAIR, STEPHEN
3135 FOXHALL OVERLOOK
ROSWELL GA 30075

Annual Reports
No Annual Reports Filed

Image of filing: http://www.sunbiz.org/COR/2011/0613/00142789.Tif
Email address in filing: tonygallippi@gmail.com

Checking Anthony Gallippi:
http://www.manta.com/g/mm8px9r/anthony-gallippi

Aerotech Southeast
411 E Amelia Street
Orlando, FL 32803-5315
Phone: (407) 426-7797
"Aerotech Southeast in Orlando, FL is a private company which is listed under motion picture producers and studios. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of Less than $500,000 and employs a staff of 1 to 4."

OK, that's a quick start. We now know that "bit-pay" is operating out of an house, who's behind it, and some other things they're doing. So if they "lose" any funds, it's clear where to send lawyers and cops.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 06:23:19 AM

OK, let's do some due diligence.

bit-pay.com
"Domain control only" SSL cert.
No business address found on site.
Traceroute leads to a Rackspace location.

Bit-Pay, LLC
Dun and Bradstreet has a report.
411 E AMELIA ST, ORLANDO, FL

Checking address:
Property type:   Residential Duplex (2 units)
Last sale:    $635,000  on May 10th, 2005
Bedrooms:   4
Bathrooms:   3
Year built:   1925

Wanna buy my house?  It's a historic preservation home.  almost 90 years old.   I don't know what you are getting at?

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 06:36:54 AM

Wanna buy my house?  It's a historic preservation home.  almost 90 years old.   I don't know what you are getting at?

Some us get anxious when we can't communicate with a business we are dealing with out-of-band via "snail-mail", or as Nagle suggested, in person.

My personal standard is only a PO box (since the only electronic payment I am comfortable with is bitcoin).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 06:45:35 AM

Wanna buy my house?  It's a historic preservation home.  almost 90 years old.   I don't know what you are getting at?

Some us get anxious when we can't communicate with a business we are dealing with out-of-band via "snail-mail", or as Nagle suggested, in person.

My personal standard is only a PO box (since the only electronic payment I am comfortable with is bitcoin).

Well if you are desperate for information you are welcome to come ring my doorbell.  Our press girl has a phone number published on the site.  Our top merchants have our personal numbers.  If it's an emergency our merchants can always reach us.  

We are firm believers in bitcoin.  I've operated a web business for 10 years, called STARE Magazine, and when I learned about bitcoin, I asked the simple question "ok great, how do I accept this on my website?".  And for 2 weeks I got nothing.  And then, Steve and I teamed up and formed Bit-Pay.  Because if I had a need, thousands of other people had a need too.  And here we are.

jav

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 07:52:52 AM

This is pretty cool! You guys are churning out products at an amazing rate - impressive! :-)

Do many of your merchants choose to get paid in USD? I have lately been thinking, that - while Bitcoin is still young and the exchange rate is volatile - it might be a good idea to not only protect the merchant from exchange rate volatility, but also the customer. So a customer would keep USD on their phone and only exchange those to Bitcoins at the last minute.

Of course this first seems a little paradoxical, to go from USD to Bitcoin back to USD. But one could think of Bitcoin as the common interface here, allowing variable partners on both sides.

A disadvantage is, that it would introduce the fees for an additional exchange step. On the other hand, the customer would have to exchange from USD to Bitcoin at some point anyway, so as long as the fee is on a percentage basis, it doesn't really make a difference whether they do it once in advance or always "just-in-time" for smaller amounts. And it might be possible to still be cheaper than credit cards even with all that factored in.

Obviously the exchanges are in the best position to offer this feature. If they have a mobile app, it should not be too difficult to offer a special payment screen, where the right amount of Bitcoins are bought on the market and then immediately transferred.

With a solution like this, customers would more or less have the impression of simply paying USD with their phone and as far as they are concerned, Bitcoin is just some technology that makes it happen in the background.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 11:16:06 AM

I see promising projects in the Bitcoin world every week. I have to admit that this one is on another level, it could be a game-changer for the entire Bitcoin economy. This makes life so easy for both the merchant and the customers.

Please continue your good work, I am looking forward to the demo video Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 11:30:30 AM

OK, that's a quick start. We now know that "bit-pay" is operating out of an house, who's behind it, and some other things they're doing. So if they "lose" any funds, it's clear where to send lawyers and cops.

They do not hold your earnings, you receive those into your wallet every day. So worst case scenario is they steal one transaction and the company packs up and moves to Singapore. All for your 5 BTC.

I think the potential of 1-3% of all bit-pay transactions for years to come is decent motivation not to jump ship with your transaction of selling a bag of Cheetos.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Mr.Bitcoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 12:34:06 PM

This is great, I love it.

I would like to see (not necessarily from your team, bit-pay merchant solutions) an app that embeds local stores that accept bitcoin onto a google maps type interface.

Does such an app (or even website) exist? I don't mean just a list of local stores, I am super lazy and a consumer whore. I need a map!
mikethebodacious

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:41:41 PM

Awesome job mate, this will definitely help the Bitcoin economy out.  Thanks for all the hard work!

Lucidize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:11:33 PM

I have had a few problems getting it to start, but it could be because I am low on space. I sent a feedback request rather than posting it on the app review.  I am sure this will be a great app after reading all the posts here.

I think it's a good idea for everyone to download this if you have a smartphone, even if you do not think you will use it. I don't think I will use it but surely the more downloads this gets, the more popular the app will be and the more exposure bitcoin and bitpay receive. Winners all round =)

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:40:06 PM

I would like to see (not necessarily from your team, bit-pay merchant solutions) an app that embeds local stores that accept bitcoin onto a google maps type interface.

Does such an app (or even website) exist? I don't mean just a list of local stores, I am super lazy and a consumer whore. I need a map!

Was thinking the same thing. I figured I would create one if it did not exist but made sure to go ahead and check first to see if there was one.

I found this:

http://www.bitcoinmap.com/

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Mr.Bitcoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:53:17 PM

Friggin sweet.

Thanks for the find. This goes to show the exact purpose of such a website/app. I had no idea there was a merchant in my area that accepts bitcoins (chapel hill, NC).

totes going to bitvinyl later to pick up a beastie boys record.
Jixtreme

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:10:49 PM

This is seriously awesome.

Now I need to find Bitcoin businesses in the MSP area! C'mon, Minnesota, get with it!

-Jix
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 02:22:29 PM

Has anyone told you that you kind of look like Nicolas Cage?   Smiley

Congratulations, a great product to be sure!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Nagle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 04:34:17 PM

They do not hold your earnings, you receive those into your wallet every day. So worst case scenario is they steal one transaction and the company packs up and moves to Singapore. All for your 5 BTC.

Bitcoin's anonymous "financial institutions" have a terrible track record. New ones need to be checked out thoroughly. Who's behind them? Do they have a history of success doing anything else? What do they commit to contractually?  How are disputes resolved? 

I expect to see contractual statements like "all payments made after NNN will be transmitted to ACH by NNN". Reliably getting cash out of Bitcoin's "financial institutions" has been hard. About once a week, someone is complaining that one of the exchanges was supposed to send them money but hasn't. Then we hear someone from the exchange claiming that their bank has dumped them, or their money transfer service is down, or some other "cat ate my homework" excuse for not paying on time.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 05:37:12 PM

I expect to see contractual statements like "all payments made after NNN will be transmitted to ACH by NNN". 

They have all of those covered on their website.

https://bit-pay.com/legal.html

Nagle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 05:22:08 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2011, 07:37:53 PM by Nagle

I expect to see contractual statements like "all payments made after NNN will be transmitted to ACH by NNN".  

They have all of those covered on their website.

https://bit-pay.com/legal.html

No, they do not.  They have an "acceptable use policy", plagiarized from PayPal's acceptable use policy, and a "privacy policy", plagiarized from PayPal's privacy policy. They do not have any terms which contractually bind "bit-pay" with regard to financial transactions.

This is important. Potential merchants need to know about transaction reversals, chargebacks, payout limitations, delays in payment, separation of customer funds from company funds, and dispute resolution procedures. All of those areas have created major problems for users of other Bitcoin-related services.

This is two guys with no financial experience operating out of a house in Florida. The odds are that they will screw up. Merchants need legal protection for when they do.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: