Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 01:28:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - 0.9.1.1 - Old thread. Locked. Please use 0.9.2 thread.  (Read 130957 times)
SlimePuppy

Activity: 657
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:15:39 PM

Folks, the Geekhash front-end web page and the block time chart posted at catstat.info and catcoinwallets.com is temporarily down while Blaksmith does pool maintenance and upgrades.

In addition to his fun, a fallen tree knocked out his internet access yesterday and it's shaky today.

The pool back-end is fine and mining work is being served and tallied as normal.

I'll edit this when the pool and charts are back.

Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:17:50 PM

Please advise when your seed node is off-line and when you have forwarded the CATcoin insurance fund to Maverick.  Thanks in advance.

I request that the contribution I made to the insurance fund be returned to me, because I understood the fund was being administered by Hozer, and the agreement was that any funds left over after paying out funds per the specific formula and procedure laid out by Hozer, would be returned back to me. Now that this arrangement has been terminated, any funds not already paid out to legitimate beneficiaries of the funds from out of what I contributed, are due back to me. I object to the idea funds I put into trust for a specific purpose becoming commandeered to be used for purposes I may find objectionable.

Thank you,

Etblvu1

Really?  I was not aware that you were even remotely involved in this fund.  I am aware that various members of the community donated coin to the fund, however.  Care to share donation info with us?
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:45:08 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 11:32:25 PM by SlimePuppy

Your code has already been removed, and the community has already been informed why we accepted your kludge and why it is no longer in the codebase.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441402.msg9251852#msg9251852

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441402.msg9219553#msg9219553

Please advise when your seed node is off-line and when you have forwarded the CATcoin insurance fund to Maverick.  Thanks in advance.

We've got this.

the code is still there, and you know perfectly well how to make the seed node irrelevant with a new wallet, so solve both problems at the same time by removing the minimum time code and releasing a new wallet. I'll know you did it because the catcoind on the node I'm running will fork off on a chain by itself when it sees a block less than 30 seconds, and there will be no new connections to it, and then I can shut it down.
Your seed node was removed from the coinbase three months ago.  The code running on testnet has ALL of your "contributions" removed.  As has been our process from the start, release code will be pushed to CatcoinRelease when it's vetted and ready for release and not a second before.

This is not up to you to be the dictator of catcoin.
Nobody but you is crying 'dictator' Troy.  I'm fulfilling my duties as assigned by the dev team and as outlined in the OP - I'm communicating with the community.  I shall continue to do that until such time as Maverick or the rest of the dev team changes that arrangement.

You can post code, and see if the hashrate follows your code. The reason I have the insurance fund is because I posted code, and people ran it, and pools mined with it. If you want the insurance fund, you have to prove it with cryptographic (aka blockchain) evidence that the code you released has sufficient long-term hash-power behind it to be a viable cryptocurrency.
No.  You took on the insurance fund while you were an active part of the CAT dev team.  That is not "hozer's retirement fund" - that safety net was put in place to help miners and pool operators during our network trouble of last year.  You lost access to any dev projects when you so severely violated the ethics of the team and project that we fired you.

What you're saying when you continue to recommend people run your private code is that it's OK to deviate from accepted code and that it's ethical to take-over a coin network for one's own purposes.  Bzzzt - thanks for playing.

As it is now you can't even easily prove it because we don't even have a working block explorer.
That's false as there is a working block explorer.  We're working to gain control of the domain name, and are also building a replacement explorer on a new server.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441402.msg9980153#msg9980153
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=441402.msg9987687#msg9987687

Or maybe how about this, I'll send the remaining 10,165 cat from the insurance pool to whomever gets a block explorer working and sends me a plan on how they are going to keep it running for the next 5 years. Convince me you know what you're doing and that you have a domain registered for more than a year, or a plan for paying it on time. Right now the only person I believe has any capacity to do that is Blaksmith.
First, Troy, do you know what it means to have been FIRED?  What it means to most normal people is that you no longer have any say, and do not get to make demands.

For the record, and for the community, the domains and sites I have registered and maintain are common knowledge - and I remind everyone that should I ever leave this project that the domains and servers will be handed over to the dev team at that time.  I consider those registered domains and sites to be COMMUNITY PROPERTY for the benefit of CAT.

I maintain the primary seed node server, the catcoinwallets.com domain name and wallet web server, and the seed node DNS records. Blaksmith maintains the 2nd seed node server, the testnet, and his pool.  I have never left a domain or server to expire and will not.  I've just leased a 2nd server from CrownCloud and will be adding a seed node and wallet repository there as well.

And if I get the block explorer running first I get to keep the CAT. (BTW, I'll pay reasonable BTC or cash for catchain.info if anyone knows how to re-register it before it fully expires)
catchain.info is not available to be registered until it's been dead for at least 30 days.

Hozer - let me make this very, very clear to you and to the rest of this community:  I'm a retired intelligence analyst.  I know more than I care to know about terrorists and insider threats.  You have chosen to be both during your association with CAT.  (Frankly, you started working against the coin when she was less than a month old.)  An association, I might add, that was deemed necessary before I became part of the dev team because the team was desperate for a programmer.  Because of your behavior, most folks involved in the project didn't want you to be part of it.  We're not desperate any longer.  You've shown your true colors.  No more lies.  You've been fired.  You are free to leave.

Community - if you still care about this project, speak up.  Not just in the form of the amazing PMs I've received (thank you!) but here on the forum.  Thanks in advance.

Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:17:48 AM

Geekhash is back up after today's maintenance, and the block time charts are back as well.

Andy
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 02:35:49 AM

Community - if you still care about this project, speak up.  Not just in the form of the amazing PMs I've received (thank you!) but here on the forum.  Thanks in advance.

Andy

Yes, please speak up. If you like what Slimepuppy is doing, please say so publicly, or at least message me on irc.

The only thing I've heard from the community is the code sucks, and one of the donors to the insurance fund objects to the way you are trying to take over the community with no public evidence you have community support.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 02:51:03 AM

Nobody but you is crying 'dictator' Troy.  I'm fulfilling my duties as assigned by the dev team and as outlined in the OP - I'm communicating with the community.  I shall continue to do that until such time as Maverick or the rest of the dev team changes that arrangement.

(snipp)

First, Troy, do you know what it means to have been FIRED?  What it means to most normal people is that you no longer have any say, and do not get to make demands.

Andy

So, either
1) you're the psy-ops dictator of catcoin, and I'm fired and censored
*or*
2) this is a community project open to anyone interested, and you have to put up with me, so we might as well get along, or at least make the fight more entertaining

http://giphy.com/gifs/catfight-HHDd7CtDSIJVu
etblvu1

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:32:27 PM

Andy

I care about the Catcoin project, and have observed that under the current style of management, the coin has lost 99% of its market value. I observe that at any given time, there is someone in the process of getting kicked out with accusation of subversion, terrorism, etc. I observe that the coin has suffered erratic block adjustment behaviors for most of its life, and my numerous contributions of ideas have been dismissed out of hand with what appears to be illogical arguments. The management of the coin currently resembles a dictatorship with lack of transparency with respect to power structure, decision-making process, etc. The coin appears to be treated as if it were the private personal property of a couple of buddies. I believe in the coin and believe it deserves better than that.

Thank you,

Etblvu1
etblvu1

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:38:49 PM

Dear Catcoin Community,

Wanted to Buy - Large amounts of Catcoins. If you have 25,000 or more Catcoins and want out, we can work out some deal which will be better than what you would get trying to dump that kind of volume onto Cryptsy. Please inquire by PM if you have some you are looking to unload.

Thank you,

Etblvu1
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 09:12:57 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2015, 03:29:58 AM by SlimePuppy

Andy

I care about the Catcoin project, and have observed that under the current style of management, the coin has lost 99% of its market value. I observe that at any given time, there is someone in the process of getting kicked out with accusation of subversion, terrorism, etc. I observe that the coin has suffered erratic block adjustment behaviors for most of its life, and my numerous contributions of ideas have been dismissed out of hand with what appears to be illogical arguments. The management of the coin currently resembles a dictatorship with lack of transparency with respect to power structure, decision-making process, etc. The coin appears to be treated as if it were the private personal property of a couple of buddies. I believe in the coin and believe it deserves better than that.

Thank you,

Etblvu1

Thanks for writing Eric.  This is NOT the opening of a debate but I will respond.

First, you and I have conflicting view of just about everything we've discussed over the past year.  In addition, you and Hozer have been in lock-step for the past year as well.  Therefore, I'm not at all surprised that the only remotely positive part of your message is that you believe in the coin and she deserves better than she's had.

Market value:  We didn't have any 'market value' when launched, and we've had plenty of challenges to overcome (dropped almost immediately by the original dev team, severe difficulty problems from the first hours after launch, then the expiration of the original dev teams's seed nodes and other infrastructure, then the Oprah scam).  Those didn't destroy any market value, but they certainly killed our multiple attempts to grow.  I've been watching the crypto world for a couple of years now and have yet to see a coin grow in strength.  Most are just holding on.  Hit any alt coin on Cryptsy - the launch hype pushes prices up, then over the course of the year the chart settles down toward zero.  Hype and intense effort can temporarily elevate the prices on exchanges but once the emotion settles the prices settle as well.  Cat's been no different.  This is actually a place that makes me more hopeful about Cat's long-term viability - we've been through hell and we're still here.  We all watched the hype around DOGE - ginormous following, plenty of buzz, sponsoring a race car and an Olympic team - and where are they today?  Merge-mining with litecoin so they can maintain some hash rate and less valuable than CAT.  No - I disagree with your "99%" assertion out of hand as being false and unsupportable.  You're more than welcome to believe what you will, this isn't personal - but the numbers are available for all to see and they do not support your belief.

As to your management suggestion:  You've loved to hate me from the beginning, and have made plenty of hay out of blaming me for anything that bothers you.  Keep in mind - you were already seen as a problem child in the CAT ecosystem before I ever joined the dev team.  Also keep in mind that the current dev team picked up the pieces of Cat after the initial 'pump and dump' hysteria was already fading.  There's no reasonable way that anyone can suggest that either this team or their 'management style' have harmed this project.  On the contrary, we're still alive today - not dead like a number of coins that launched with Cat - because this group jumped in to pick up the pieces and have been fighting to keep this project alive ever since.  We finally got rights to the -dev channel LAST WEEK.  We finally got access to update the project's main website LAST WEEK as well.  There's no sprint here - we've been struggling to keep this project moving since the very beginning.

Kicked out/subversion/terrorism.  You say you perceive that this is 'always happening'.  I'm not surprised that this is your perception.  Truth be told (and this is well documented in the coin's threads) there have been exactly two people that have been seen as disruptive influences in this project.  That disruptive influence label did not come from any member of the dev team - it was coined and applied by a member of the community - and it was directed at you.  To my knowledge, there has been one person tagged as being an active attacker and 'terrorist' - in that they were coding and politically posturing to gain control of the project - and that's Hozer.  I called him on his attacks before I joined the dev team.  There have been exactly two people that demanded that their voices be heard, their political debates tolerated, their repeated attempts to reform the coin in their images.  There have been two people that refused to hear from the community, the original dev team, or the current team, that certain parts of this project are NOT up for debate - and those include the block time, the adherence to the Bitcoin standard for miner reward, and the scrypt algo.  Though you have not been part of the dev team, you were kicked (temporarily both times!) from the dev channel on IRC ONLY because we were working our asses off to push a new wallet and you were STILL wasting our time wanting to debate politics.  Hozer's active attack on the network a few months back was a much less subtle effort that started just after the coin launched and hasn't stopped as of yesterday.  That's two.  The only two people that have worked hard to take this project in a direction that NOBODY but you two want have been kicked.  And since that happened, the peace and progress have been absolutely delightful!

Erratic block timing, etc.  Absolutely.  In hindsight, the initial decision to launch a coin with the original bitcoin diff adjust algo in an environment with relatively massive amounts of hash available was poor.  This team was not part of that decision.  We also didn't have the luxury of time to analyze the ecosystem, devise and test a process that worked perfectly, and then field that solution.  We picked up a failing and stuck coin during a hash hurricane, with no control or awareness of the existing infrastructure or team capabilities, and do the emergency work to keep things moving until we had time to do the 100% solution.  None of the forks to date have had that 100% solution.  We hoped the last one would be fairly close - it performed very well on testnet - but it was released in conjunction with the fallout from the Oprah scam and at a time when our network hash rate fell to almost nothing.  What worked on testnet and has proven to work with 60+ MH/s on the mainnet failed with very low hash rates.  Keep something in mind:  During the work on the current algo, we evaluated a number of possibilities - and we were the first people to identify the exploitability of the KGW algo.  We did NOT jump on that bandwagon like so many other coins and thus did not have to perform another emergency fork to fix that problem.  That's why this next release will be so important - this is the very first time we've had the opportunity to analyze, test, and deploy without being in a crisis.  And we are doing that.

You're welcome to see the team any way you wish.  It's difficult to make things any more transparent, however.  The team - most with real names - are listed in the thread.  Folks that have wanted to talk with us have done so - in IRC, here in PM, via email, and even teamspeak.  Anyone that thinks this is a closed process isn't trying very hard to open the many available doors.  considering your past efforts to dominate the processes, however, I don't expect your position to change.  And that's ok.  It's no longer negatively affecting progress so I think it's best left as it is.

Suggestions, logical or not...   I'll agree that a number of suggestions have been discarded out of hand.  Those have been limited to suggestions that change the core of this coin.  We're staying with scrypt.  We're staying with 10 minute blocks.  We're staying with the standard mining reward system.  And this line in the sand - made well before I was involved in the project - has driven you and hozer nuts from the start and has occupied waaaay too much of our time debating and ultimately ignoring.  Staying with the standard mining reward system means that we will not entertain ANY suggestion that includes censoring blocks, changing time stamps, setting minimum block time requirements, or any process whereby some miners are rewarded differently than others.  That's not 'illogical' or 'political' or even a 'cat fight' worth expanding to make more 'entertaining' - that's a hard-drawn line in the sand that WILL NOT BE CROSSED.  You and hozer have had some excellent ideas.  Why in the WORLD don't you two start your own coin and reward miners the way you want?  Why in the WORLD are either of you still here?  I believe there's only one reason - because you think this project is weak enough for a hostile takeover.  Sorry - ain't gonna happen.

Nothing I've written above is new.  As the history is well documented in the Cat threads, I'll leave this line of discussion  as is and ask that any further need for debate be channeled into reading the threads.

Thanks again for your comments.
Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:10:02 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 11:10:17 PM by SlimePuppy

Let's talk coin value for a minute or so.  Hozer and etblvu1 keep harping on either 'lost value' or on "make it profitable so I can afford to mine".

Looking at the coin mining profitability calculators, I don't see a single coin in the ENTIRE ecosystem that is profitable to mine when electricity is figured in.  Some coins spike in for a short time and turn positive, but that's for a very short duration.  After all the time that Bitcoin has been on the streets, even they with their experienced teams and deep programming and marketing base cannot make it profitable to mine BTC.  That's the first problem I see with Eric and Hozer's desire.

The second is that it's illegal in most nations to either fix prices or to control prices of coins - and apparently illegal to promise to fix or control prices.  Spend some time scanning the current GAW incarnation of PayCoin and PayBase for a taste of that.

We can also look at the PayCoin tragedy for an example of the power of marketing and hype.  This coin was 'promised' to be a $20 coin.  Even with millions of dollars of investor support, buying a crypto exchange, setting up an environment to take-on PayPal and credit cards (PayBase) the value of the coin has taken the same curve towards zero that every single other alt-coin has taken after its launch.  Marketing must never stop - expansion of the message of the coin must never stop - but it cannot support a buying frenzy very long.  It's not enough by itself.

What happens to a coin price when there are a lot of ways to spend a coin?  Or in the case of CAT, if the foundation actually happened and we were sending money to support shelters and charities?  People would buy Cat to donate (a better business decision than mining, frankly), the Cat would be transferred to an animal shelter's wallet, they'd convert it to Fiat on Cryptsy or Coinbase, and any rise in coin value from the purchases would be lost when the coins are redeemed.

Same thing with consistent mining - considering the price-lowering effect of introducing more coins into a fairly small environment, more consistent block times are required for expanding adoption of the currency, but will create a downward price pressure, not an upward one.  Maybe that'll change once all our coins are in the wild - we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, the current dev team has taken a long-term view from the very first day.  Not a single one of us have been in 'pump and dump' or 'get rich quick' mode.  It took BTC a full five years to be stable enough to start to be seen as a viable currency for members of the public.  Cat is one year old and she's been through a hell of a lot more than BTC has in their first year.  We won't know for sure what that means until Cat's five, I guess, but it's pretty clear to us that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

If the First Nation view is correct, and regular people walk a smooth path while warriors walk a muddy trail, then I think that Cat's on her way to being a warrior.  That's my long-term outlook for the coin.

Andy

hozer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 12:09:42 AM

Let's talk coin value for a minute or so.  Hozer and etblvu1 keep harping on either 'lost value' or on "make it profitable so I can afford to mine".

Looking at the coin mining profitability calculators, I don't see a single coin in the ENTIRE ecosystem that is profitable to mine when electricity is figured in.  Some coins spike in for a short time and turn positive, but that's for a very short duration.  After all the time that Bitcoin has been on the streets, even they with their experienced teams and deep programming and marketing base cannot make it profitable to mine BTC.  That's the first problem I see with Eric and Hozer's desire.

If the First Nation view is correct, and regular people walk a smooth path while warriors walk a muddy trail, then I think that Cat's on her way to being a warrior.  That's my long-term outlook for the coin.

Andy

Litecoin has been getting me a reasonably consistent return, and if I have 0.001% of the hashpower on p2pool, I can get 0.001% of the litecoins. (for example now that I switched back to LTC I am getting something like 0.002 every 3 hours, on average)

I am asking for the catcoin community to come to a consensus that *10%* of the catcoin hashpower, when run steadily, should get roughly 10% of the catcoins mined, and if it doesn't, the wallet is broken, and should be modified and tested (live, if need be), until that criteria is reached, and small miners can get a consistent small share of the total mined coins.

I am not harping on dollar exchange rate profitability, I am harping on *fair returns to miners of all sizes*. Or at least, fair returns to small miners. The big guys can fend for themselves.

What we have now is that 20 to 40% of the proven work in the blockchain from address 9Uueyr4T8dmzeZHNhYPjYdZbPpxmE9tUMh is getting the owner of that address 60% to 80% of the catcoins mined over the last say 3 months, while all of the 'loyal miners' are doing far more of the proven work, and getting far less than their fair-share of mined catcoins.

I'm also generally in favor of Andy's positive long-term outlook. So how long are we going to keep practicing and training by fighting each other before we go out on a whale hunt?
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 12:29:18 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 12:57:50 AM by SlimePuppy

Andy

Litecoin has been getting me a reasonably consistent return, and if I have 0.001% of the hashpower on p2pool, I can get 0.001% of the litecoins. (for example now that I switched back to LTC I am getting something like 0.002 every 3 hours, on average)

I am asking for the catcoin community to come to a consensus that *10%* of the catcoin hashpower, when run steadily, should get roughly 10% of the catcoins mined, and if it doesn't, the wallet is broken, and should be modified and tested (live, if need be), until that criteria is reached, and small miners can get a consistent small share of the total mined coins.

I am not harping on dollar exchange rate profitability, I am harping on *fair returns to miners of all sizes*. Or at least, fair returns to small miners. The big guys can fend for themselves.

What we have now is that 20 to 40% of the proven work in the blockchain from address 9Uueyr4T8dmzeZHNhYPjYdZbPpxmE9tUMh is getting the owner of that address 60% to 80% of the catcoins mined over the last say 3 months, while all of the 'loyal miners' are doing far more of the proven work, and getting far less than their fair-share of mined catcoins.

I'm also generally in favor of Andy's positive long-term outlook. So how long are we going to keep practicing and training by fighting each other before we go out on a whale hunt?
Hozer - I spent a fair bit of time with you whale hunting.  In the end it was a waste of time.  We can prove this thesis simply by looking at CAT over the past four days.

One of our miners was really upset when (s)he couldn't get the same types of returns solo-mining Cat as they got with other coins.  I understand where they were coming from and agree completely.

Additionally, one thing we know about our still broken diff adjust algo is that it works much better with a bit of hash power (as Zerodrama proved a few months back when he put ~60MH/s on the network - it got smooth as silk and almost locked in on regular 10 minute blocks).

We also know that the profit-switchers don't come in until our diff drops below about 20.

So - look at today's chart:  No profit switching, fairly steady, and my 15 MH/s on my private pool has 11 pending blocks in about 24 hours.

This little bit of hash rate is ALL we need to even out folk's valid coin/hash concerns - and it takes us off the switch pool radar as well. **

Where you and I differ on this topic, Hozer, is that I want to fix the galloping by fixing the algo, while you want to fix the galloping by censoring blocks and denying valid miners their payout for blocks found.  I simply cannot go there with you.  It simply does NOT matter which address has how many coins.  That's none of our concern and should be completely outside the focus of the dev team.  Our job is to make it easy and profitable for EVERYONE to mine and use this coin.

** Don't interpret this to mean that I don't think the algo needs work - I hope I've made crystal clear that no one on the dev team is happy with the way this is working.  'Devastated' is closer to the truth and me, Maverick, zero, and Blaksmith have all made that painfully clear in this thread.  But - given our current algo and the current needs of the community, a bit of hash - at least enough to keep the diff above 20 - is a very effective plaster/band aid until we get the new wallet on the streets.  The sooner we get a new wallet distributed and forked, the sooner I can dramatically cut my $300 electric bill...
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:20:44 PM

I would probably help to try and bump up the hashrate, but these days it's pretty much pointless without ASICs.

My new video card would have been useful back during the first few months but now that Scrypt ASICs exist.. eh. I just don't see the point in mining anymore.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 05:28:36 PM

I would probably help to try and bump up the hashrate, but these days it's pretty much pointless without ASICs.

My new video card would have been useful back during the first few months but now that Scrypt ASICs exist.. eh. I just don't see the point in mining anymore.

If you can afford the electricity during the high difficulty periods, you might actually make a difference with a GPU.

What I've noticed is that a single ASIC rig/instance of sgminer/cgminer will sometimes go for a very *long* time before finding a block, and just having a video card running along with some big asics gives you a chance that the sgminer/cgminer running your GPU will have a different random number generator seed than the asic (or even a much better cryptographic random number generator period), and you might find a block. This is only my intuition, however, I have no real good data to back it up.

It's not profitable, but neither is running an ASIC system unless you profit-switch for 10 blocks with twice the long-term average hash rate.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 05:53:15 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 06:20:56 PM by hozer

Andy

Hozer - I spent a fair bit of time with you whale hunting.  In the end it was a waste of time.  We can prove this thesis simply by looking at CAT over the past four days.

One of our miners was really upset when (s)he couldn't get the same types of returns solo-mining Cat as they got with other coins.  I understand where they were coming from and agree completely.

Additionally, one thing we know about our still broken diff adjust algo is that it works much better with a bit of hash power (as Zerodrama proved a few months back when he put ~60MH/s on the network - it got smooth as silk and almost locked in on regular 10 minute blocks).

We also know that the profit-switchers don't come in until our diff drops below about 20.

So - look at today's chart:  No profit switching, fairly steady, and my 15 MH/s on my private pool has 11 pending blocks in about 24 hours.

This little bit of hash rate is ALL we need to even out folk's valid coin/hash concerns - and it takes us off the switch pool radar as well. **

Where you and I differ on this topic, Hozer, is that I want to fix the galloping by fixing the algo, while you want to fix the galloping by censoring blocks and denying valid miners their payout for blocks found.  I simply cannot go there with you.  It simply does NOT matter which address has how many coins.  That's none of our concern and should be completely outside the focus of the dev team.  Our job is to make it easy and profitable for EVERYONE to mine and use this coin.

** Don't interpret this to mean that I don't think the algo needs work - I hope I've made crystal clear that no one on the dev team is happy with the way this is working.  'Devastated' is closer to the truth and me, Maverick, zero, and Blaksmith have all made that painfully clear in this thread.  But - given our current algo and the current needs of the community, a bit of hash - at least enough to keep the diff above 20 - is a very effective plaster/band aid until we get the new wallet on the streets.  The sooner we get a new wallet distributed and forked, the sooner I can dramatically cut my $300 electric bill...

Dude. Profit switchers, by definition, do not mine unless they make a profit. So there are two strategies that appear profitable

1) look at the long-term difficulty, and show up with at least twice the average long-term hashrate for about 10 blocks as soon as the difficulty starts going down. This has nothing to do with difficulty above or below 20, only the relative changes over the last day or week.

2) look at the current difficulty and price. Mine on the coin with the best estimated bitcoin return after you sell for BTC. This depends on the rest of the market, and what the difficulty of all the other coins are, and miners with this strategy have data centers full of miners and stratum proxies that, if their coders are any good, can switch coins faster than we can send packets round trip to whattomine.com.

Now, maybe I did my math wrong here, but if you got 11 of the 31 blocks in this 24 hour period: http://catstat.info:2750/chain/Catcoin?hi=34436&count=31 then that is 35% of the catcoin, yet you only have 25% of the hashrate, which as of this posting (~17:00 UTC) is barely above 60 on the Geekhash chart . Would you mind sharing with us what you are doing to game the system, or would you rather keep it to yourself?

This also suggests there is another strategy to mine profitably, and that is block any attempts to fix known exploitable algorithms while exploiting said algorithms. If that's the strategy you want, they please say so, and I'll be happy to go along with whatever broken code you want.

-- edit --

I don't think Slimepuppy and I are looking at the same time period. From block 34406 (jan 7 15:52 UTC) to 34436, 30 blocks, I see our switchpool friend 9Uueyr4T8dmzeZHNhYPjYdZbPpxmE9tUMh walking away with a 10 block run, and an 11 block run, for 21 of the 30 blocks, or 70% of the blocks in the last 24 hours. The other 9 blocks are distributed between 1 solo-miner and what looks like 2 (separate?) p2pools. So if Slimepuppy has 25% of the hashrate over that period, he and the others that got those 9 blocks are getting screwed by the switchpool.

This is broken, and I am attempting to convince a herd of angry cats to TEST a possible solution.

So I guess you have a choice. Have Slimepuppy censor catcoin-dev, or you can run my code which he claims 'censors blocks'. But I think if you read the current code (not the proof-of-concepts) and understand the mathematics and control theory, you might come to a different conclusion about what it does.
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:38:16 PM

This is broken, and I am attempting to convince a herd of angry cats to TEST a possible solution.

So I guess you have a choice. Have Slimepuppy censor catcoin-dev, or you can run my code which he claims 'censors blocks'. But I think if you read the current code (not the proof-of-concepts) and understand the mathematics and control theory, you might come to a different conclusion about what it does.
My amazingly abtuse former friend and former dev team member, your first problem, and the one on which your entire house of cards is built, is that you think that a LEGITIMATE MINER, mining for a profit, during a profitable period is a "problem to be solved" rather than a NORMAL AND EXPECTED FUNCTION OF THE COIN GENERATION PROCESS.

Read that a few times, Hozer.  Let it sink in.  I understand that you're an engineer by training, and that by definition that means you spend a lot of time trying to solve problems.  Your first weakness is that you have to understand how to IDENTIFY A PROBLEM before you set off the solve it.

Your second problem is that in order to try to sell your first, you have to resort to personal attacks to discredit those that are telling you that you're full of shit.

And your final problem, built on the first and second, is a suggestion that 'control theory' is a solution.

Miners don't need to be controlled.  They need to be freed to work and to be paid for their work.  Remember, bucko - WITHOUT MINERS THERE IS NO COIN.  And if you or anyone else deters miners, CAT WILL FAIL.  And frankly, your abuse of the network has ALREADY cost us miners and credibility.  That's why we fired you - the ethics violations and disregard for the processes and rules you helped create were additional problems.

News flash, Hozer and anyone else that looks at the world as he does:  We WANT the coin to be profitable!  We WANT the value to go up!  When the value goes up we WANT miners to come in and mine!  And the contract we have in place says:  "You mine our coin, thus securing our blockchain and validating the transactions, and in exchange we will pay you for blocks you find."  Minimum block times are NOT an option - they are not a "solution" to any valid problem - they are FRAUD and BREACH OF CONTRACT.

Hozer:  No.  It's still NO, it will ALWAYS be NO.   Steal from the miners and go directly to jail.  Do not pass 'go' and do NOT collect $200.
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:52:41 PM

You're right, Skillface, there's really no point.  It'll never pencil out financially.  I just paid a $360 electric bill - most of that is scrypt and sha miners - and I didn't get anywhere near that back.  But I got plenty of heat and haven't had to run the furnace yet, so that offset ~$100.   Huh

Your greatest contribution at this point, if you'll share them, is your view of crypto and miners.  Would you be willing to buy equipment and mine CAT, knowing that the dev team had code in place that would arbitrarily disregard your work and give the 50 CAT block reward to another miner?

Thanks in advance.
Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:12:16 PM

Here's a quick dev team update.

This project has had two significant challenges from the beginning:  The difficulty adjustment process and the infrastructure (seed nodes, block explorers, web pages, domain registration, etc.).

After almost a year, we finally have rights to catcoin-dev.  We have the ability to edit catcoins.org.  We've established a seed node network and are moving nodes to better servers.  We're building an entire infrastructure we can access and maintain - and allowing the fragmented and inaccessible domains and servers to expire.  (That's not quite accurate - we cannot let anything expire - they're expiring on their own, and the former members of the community that stood them up are not responding to requests to renew them.)  So - the infrastructure is strong, it's under the control of the team, it will NOT be expiring, and we can finally start to do search engine optimization and other basic functions that will allow the marketing effort to resume.

Work continues finding a difficulty adjustment method that will work for CAT in today's ASIC-rich environment regardless of overall hash rate.  We need regular blocks when hash is fast as well as slow.  That's been a serious challenge.  The PID solution rolled out in the last fork was hoped to be a 90% solution (we didn't expect it to be perfect - we were pushing yet another emergency fix at the time).  But we pushed it out when we had some decent network hash rate and were expecting a SERIOUS influx of hash rate after being featured on Oprah's network.  The Oprah thing turned out to be a scam, our hash rate went down instead of up, and the hoped-for 90% PID solution started to gallop badly in the resulting low-hash environment.

Blaksmith is taking what we've learned and is re-writing his PID difficulty adjustment.  At the same time, I'm shopping for a programmer to provide a test CAT package with Dark Gravity Wave 2 or 3, as well as the Phoenixcoin diff algo.  I don't have an ETA for any of these, as Blak's working three jobs, and I'm paying for programming time from my disabled veteran fixed income.  But we WILL get this done and you WILL see the results.  This time we're aiming for a 100% solution - and we have time to do it right.

Bottom line for the community - the ENTIRE community - in spite of the challenges of the past year, and in spite of the limp and missing part of an ear, CAT's still here, still working, and getting stronger every day.

Andy
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 07:12:22 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 07:22:43 PM by hozer

My amazingly abtuse former friend and former dev team member, your first problem, and the one on which your entire house of cards is built, is that you think that a LEGITIMATE MINER, mining for a profit, during a profitable period is a "problem to be solved" rather than a NORMAL AND EXPECTED FUNCTION OF THE COIN GENERATION PROCESS.

Read that a few times, Hozer.  Let it sink in.  I understand that you're an engineer by training, and that by definition that means you spend a lot of time trying to solve problems.  Your first weakness is that you have to understand how to IDENTIFY A PROBLEM before you set off the solve it.

Your second problem is that in order to try to sell your first, you have to resort to personal attacks to discredit those that are telling you that you're full of shit.

And your final problem, built on the first and second, is a suggestion that 'control theory' is a solution.

Miners don't need to be controlled.  They need to be freed to work and to be paid for their work.  Remember, bucko - WITHOUT MINERS THERE IS NO COIN.  And if you or anyone else deters miners, CAT WILL FAIL.  And frankly, your abuse of the network has ALREADY cost us miners and credibility.  That's why we fired you - the ethics violations and disregard for the processes and rules you helped create were additional problems.

News flash, Hozer and anyone else that looks at the world as he does:  We WANT the coin to be profitable!  We WANT the value to go up!  When the value goes up we WANT miners to come in and mine!  And the contract we have in place says:  "You mine our coin, thus securing our blockchain and validating the transactions, and in exchange we will pay you for blocks you find."  Minimum block times are NOT an option - they are not a "solution" to any valid problem - they are FRAUD and BREACH OF CONTRACT.

Hozer:  No.  It's still NO, it will ALWAYS be NO.   Steal from the miners and go directly to jail.  Do not pass 'go' and do NOT collect $200.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory and find some engineering textbooks on PID control theory and then get back to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory_(sociology) and http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2425270 might be useful reading so we have some common language.

Do you care to share with us what 11 blocks you mined, or what address you mined them to?

Again, my position is 15% of the hashrate should get, on average 15% of the coins. If that is not the case, it's either because of random fluctuations, or covert exploits of the difficulty adjustment.
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:38:48 PM

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory and find some engineering textbooks on PID control theory and then get back to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory_(sociology) and http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2425270 might be useful reading so we have some common language.

Do you care to share with us what 11 blocks you mined, or what address you mined them to?

Again, my position is 15% of the hashrate should get, on average 15% of the coins. If that is not the case, it's either because of random fluctuations, or covert exploits of the difficulty adjustment.
I know all I need to know about PID and control from my last two careers.  I've used PID and other control systems as an aircraft pilot and on a blue-water fishing boat, and have worked between users and engineers during design and acceptance testing for other control systems.  Finally, the guy that wrote our PID is a professional programmer that works daily writing PID controls.

We're done wasting time trying to find ways to talk with you.  Your whale hunting obsession/fetish isn't really that interesting or useful.

Finally, No, I'm not going to share crypto addresses with you.  Crypto is supposed to be nearly anonymous.  Your obsession with convincing people to use the same addresses is counter to that.  And I haven't mined 11 blocks.  I've mined 21 so far.  My two GAW Black Widow are doing 14MH/s each, and my two GAW Fury are crunching just over 3MH/s.  That's all the scrypt mining capability I have and it's 100% on CAT.

And I'm still finding blocks even after you removed your miner from the network.
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: