Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:23:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - 0.9.1.1 - Old thread. Locked. Please use 0.9.2 thread.  (Read 130908 times)
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:00:43 AM

From being a miner and holder of CAT a month after it was launched, I too have notice the sharp divide amongst those in the community that were either looking for CatCoin to be successful, or just profitable to mine. And while yes, it would be great to have a coin that's profitable to mine, that's counter to having LONG TERM successful coin.

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

Yes, we have had our troubles with the diff re-targeting code when we were getting slammed by some multipools, in the past, but I think most, if not all, multipools are either ignoring us or have taken us out of their pools entirely. 

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing. 

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

As for the logo, I still like our original one better, but just my two cents.

Seriously. I asked you to run some code to fix a network problem because I was the only one actually writing code. And when it became clear that people actually gave a shit, I made it quite clear how to fix the problems.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up. The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:11:25 AM

It appears that Hozer took-down his catstat.info page with the block-time chart and block explorer.

The block-time chart can still be found at http://catcoinwallets.com

There's a block explorer here: https://altexplorer.info/chains/CAT/block_crawler.php

I didn't plan to deploy the new seed node and block explorer until next week - looks like that project needs to be moved up a bit...   

Happy Sunday
Andy

Well restarting apache fixed it. I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Someone please message me on irc if it happens again instead of just FUDing about it.
Blaksmith

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:19:50 AM

From being a miner and holder of CAT a month after it was launched, I too have notice the sharp divide amongst those in the community that were either looking for CatCoin to be successful, or just profitable to mine. And while yes, it would be great to have a coin that's profitable to mine, that's counter to having LONG TERM successful coin.

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

Yes, we have had our troubles with the diff re-targeting code when we were getting slammed by some multipools, in the past, but I think most, if not all, multipools are either ignoring us or have taken us out of their pools entirely. 

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing. 

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

Seriously. I asked you to run some code to fix a network problem because I was the only one actually writing code. And when it became clear that people actually gave a shit, I made it quite clear how to fix the problems.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up. The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.

Ok, I've held my tongue long enough...
Hozer, You and I have never had "arguements, or FUD spreading or that kind of shit", but the ONLY place that we have disagreed was with the way that you TRIED to take over the coin with your rogue coin a few months back.  A few of us HAD to spend OUR OWN HARD EARNED CASH to lease out rigs to re-gain the coin, even after we have ALL said "NO, WE WILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR CODE!", but you ran it ANYWAY ...

1) CODE IS STILL BEING WORKED ON, AS TIME PERMITS, because SOME PEOPLE HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF CRYPTO CURRENCY, BUT STILL MAINTAIN AN ACTIVE PART!
2) We have "3" proposals in the works to fix the algo.. WE ALL KNOW THE ALGO IS FUCKED WHEN THERE IS VERY LITTLE HASHING ON IT!  This community is speaking up, and USING THE OLD CODE, to also help prove our previous theory when there is STEADY HASHING.  THE COMMUNITY CARES... Apparently, you don't care aobut the rest of the community!
3) The only thing I hear out of your mouth Hozer, every time we talk about it, is HOW CAN YOU LINE YOUR OWN POCKET WITH CASH.  
4) The code changes you suggested, REJECT VALID blocks just because the timestamp is "to short", and your answer to that is "have the mining rig CREATE a timestamp in the future" .. That is EXPLOIT CITY.... NO THANKS!
5) The dev team is NOT dead as you are trying to spread FUD about it.  You have been ejected BY THE COMMUNITY...

My rant is over, and I will NOT respond to any more FUD from you.. thanks and have a nice day.

Blak

"Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Dr. Emmett Brown
Donations welcome: Bitcoin: 1BLAKSMTjnME4ZJX7VzzUyEgbQYLShvqgi Catcoin: 9aw3Ttiz5yMALUm2DUj748cCHYQLatwLPz Unobtanium: uh3bjJua71jFijmz1yAB89KM8mqJEbzrek
Pool owner of: geekhash.org
Blaksmith

Activity: 189

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:21:43 AM

It appears that Hozer took-down his catstat.info page with the block-time chart and block explorer.

The block-time chart can still be found at http://catcoinwallets.com

There's a block explorer here: https://altexplorer.info/chains/CAT/block_crawler.php

I didn't plan to deploy the new seed node and block explorer until next week - looks like that project needs to be moved up a bit...   

Happy Sunday
Andy

Well restarting apache fixed it. I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Someone please message me on irc if it happens again instead of just FUDing about it.

Not sure what was up with your catstat.info page, as I was getting a "domain is expired" for the last week.
Glad that it is back up (just checked!)

"Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Dr. Emmett Brown
Donations welcome: Bitcoin: 1BLAKSMTjnME4ZJX7VzzUyEgbQYLShvqgi Catcoin: 9aw3Ttiz5yMALUm2DUj748cCHYQLatwLPz Unobtanium: uh3bjJua71jFijmz1yAB89KM8mqJEbzrek
Pool owner of: geekhash.org
SlimePuppy

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:02:14 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 05:30:40 AM by SlimePuppy

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing.  

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

Liars lie.   Roll Eyes  Hozer - you continue to lie about how many people are writing code (three - blak, zero, and you.  Except that while blak and zero were working FOR Cat, you were finding ways to reject legitimate blocks and write code to block coin holders so they can't use their coins) and you continue to lie about people "giving a shit".  The COMMUNITY never left - but you betrayed them.  CAT's alive in SPITE OF YOU, not because of you.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up.
While I doubt you actually would "shut up", we pushed code changes to the release Git 3 months ago to remove your seed nodes.  ALL of the rest of your bastardized code - including the 30 second minimum block time - has been removed from the testnet code.  The testnet code is the baseline for all release candidates. 

Marketing?  The single best round of 'marketing' the team undertook was to fire you.  That single act brought new miners and new blood to the process.  Why?  Because as we discussed on the telephone, via email, in - dev, and in personal chat:  When the dev team appears to be CENSORING LEGITIMATE MINERS it PUSHES MINERS AWAY.  If you care about Cat, Hozer, you'll stay away.

The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.
I cannot say that the dev team will look the same next year as it does today, but I can and will say that the last time this coin was abandoned was the last time this coin project will be abandoned.

You've heard it from the dev team and the community:  You're still fired.  Find another playground, Hozer.  We don't need your code, your pool nodes, your sites, or your continued FUD/lies/threats/BS.

Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:33:15 AM

We've got a new pool in the family:

http://iegservers.com/

The partners behind this effort have been in the -dev channel and they're both motivated and responsive.

Welcome to the team, guys!

I'll add it to the Catcoins.org page next update.
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:18:42 AM

Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.
Who's this 'we'? You certainly don't speak for me.
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:52:30 AM

Just a few minor website updates to report.

The pools and exchanges listings at Catcoins.org are updated.

The new block explorer is linked as well.

We've pulled as many functions into catcoins.org that we can right now and will continue to strengthen that as the 'official site' it was intended to be.

Catcoinwallets.com will remain the primary wallet archive and will serve the block explorer, though we'll have redundant wallet storage at catcoins.org as well.  (And yes - the ugly page at catcoinwallets will be brought into at least the 20th century. Wink )

The infrastructure is solid, documented, and has redundant back-ups for critical functions.  It's a good day. Smiley

Andy

skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:14:41 AM

Just a few minor website updates to report.

The pools and exchanges listings at Catcoins.org are updated.

The new block explorer is linked as well.

We've pulled as many functions into catcoins.org that we can right now and will continue to strengthen that as the 'official site' it was intended to be.

Catcoinwallets.com will remain the primary wallet archive and will serve the block explorer, though we'll have redundant wallet storage at catcoins.org as well.  (And yes - the ugly page at catcoinwallets will be brought into at least the 20th century. Wink )

The infrastructure is solid, documented, and has redundant back-ups for critical functions.  It's a good day. Smiley

Andy

Good to see those logos I threw together finally get some use. Again thanks to Ambethia for the actual cat mascot itself.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 08:33:05 PM

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing.  

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

Ok, I've held my tongue long enough...
Hozer, You and I have never had "arguements, or FUD spreading or that kind of shit", but the ONLY place that we have disagreed was with the way that you TRIED to take over the coin with your rogue coin a few months back.  A few of us HAD to spend OUR OWN HARD EARNED CASH to lease out rigs to re-gain the coin, even after we have ALL said "NO, WE WILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR CODE!", but you ran it ANYWAY ...

1) CODE IS STILL BEING WORKED ON, AS TIME PERMITS, because SOME PEOPLE HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF CRYPTO CURRENCY, BUT STILL MAINTAIN AN ACTIVE PART!
2) We have "3" proposals in the works to fix the algo.. WE ALL KNOW THE ALGO IS FUCKED WHEN THERE IS VERY LITTLE HASHING ON IT!  This community is speaking up, and USING THE OLD CODE, to also help prove our previous theory when there is STEADY HASHING.  THE COMMUNITY CARES... Apparently, you don't care aobut the rest of the community!
3) The only thing I hear out of your mouth Hozer, every time we talk about it, is HOW CAN YOU LINE YOUR OWN POCKET WITH CASH.  
4) The code changes you suggested, REJECT VALID blocks just because the timestamp is "to short", and your answer to that is "have the mining rig CREATE a timestamp in the future" .. That is EXPLOIT CITY.... NO THANKS!
5) The dev team is NOT dead as you are trying to spread FUD about it.  You have been ejected BY THE COMMUNITY...

My rant is over, and I will NOT respond to any more FUD from you.. thanks and have a nice day.

Blak

First, thank you for finally saying something. You're the only person that posts here that has actually taken the time to write and publish some damn code, so that means a lot. Everyone else is either mining or marketing. And then there's someone who's either got well over a gigahash, or is writing and deploying *unpublished* exploit code to do this: 9Uueyr4T8dmzeZHNhYPjYdZbPpxmE9tUMh

If I wanted to line my pockets, I'd write my own automated counter-exploit code, and orphan those blocks, and not tell anyone about it. But it would probably cost me more to rent the hashpower than if I just bought a lot of catcoin.

What I would rather do is publicly explain to anyone who cares to listen how to modify a stratum proxy to get the network to be more stable *without changing catcoind*. But that will require coordination and some hashpower, and willingness to consider that maybe we should have a different way of looking at timestamps than Bitcoin did.

Now, I understand you and I disagree about the value of timestamps. So please, test your theories. Remove the 30 second minimum, and test it, live, and see what happens.

It irritates the hell out of me when everyone screams about "we don't have time to test this cause life", and then gets pissed off because I go and test something.

Or jeezus christ, go look at the travis-ci integration that mainline Bitcoin has for automatically building and testing every commit to the repository.

-- edit: addendum --
When I ran some code that nobody liked I thought Catcoin was an orphan, and needed someone to take it over. The fact that you all spent actual cash convinced me there was a community interested in doing something, and well, you know, being a community. The problem is that since then, nothing has happened besides a lot of infighting and FUDing.
And for the love of ceiling cat, post more cat pictures
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 11:45:36 PM

Btw, if any of you want to make money, figure out what the hell this means

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-ecb-jan-22-meeting-to-examine-launching-sovereign-debt-purchase-2015-1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chriswright/2015/01/15/why-the-swiss-franc-shot-up-30-in-a-morning/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/swiss-franc-move-cripples-currency-brokers-1421371654

Bailout 2.0 anyone?
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:29:52 AM

This evening I've forwarded code to Blak for Testnet.  It's CAT with the DigiShield difficulty adjust.  I'm almost done integrating DGW3 into a catcoind as well.

Now that we're not wasting time with BS whale hunts we can get some much overdue work done.

Here's to a long overdue stable Cat.

Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:35:46 AM

As promised:  Testnet's live with Digishield   Cool

Testnet:  http://testnet.geekhash.org/
IRC: #catcoin-testnet

Right now it's quiet with two 5-chip Gridseeds and a pair of GAW Fury for about 3 MH/s at the 'pool.'  I'll pull my Furys in a bit and put them back on mainnet as we've got a hell of a block to break.  Maybe on the weekend we'll call for some coordinated scrypt hash to see how it handles a hard hit.

Andy
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 01:07:26 PM by SlimePuppy

Some info on testnet, and a request for additions to the test plan.

First:  The code running on testnet can be found here:  https://github.com/SlimePuppy/CatcoinTestnetDigi

Second: Most coins have special testnet difficulty rules so that long blocks result in testnet mining a minimum-difficulty block to get things moving again.  We have disabled this function.

Third:  The current release code has Hozer's minimum block time kludge.  This was installed temporarily as a way to make PID's low-difficulty periods 'less bad' after it started to gallop so badly on mainnet.  This has all been disabled on or removed from the testnet code.  (If anyone finds remnants of this still active in the code, please yell - we want it ALL gone.  Thanks!)

Fourth:  We're trying to duplicate mainnet as closely as possible on testnet.  Same code, same levels of hash input, etc.  We found that testnet results do reflect mainnet performance, and that things we see on mainnet are able to be duplicated on testnet.

So far, we've seen that Digishield returns an approximately 13 minute block time when the network has very little hash rate.  It doesn't 'lock in' on any specific block length but isn't expected to because of at least in part the random nature of the 'block solving lottery' and the way hash rate fluctuates in the real world.  It handles large hash inputs easily and quickly with no sign of insta-mining blocks.  On the 'downhill' side, there's at least one long block (the current block is about an hour long, after dropping from ~33 MH/s to ~3 MH/s).  So far there's no sign of cyclic responses** or massive difficulty drops or abnormally low difficulty periods that would bring us the types of short duration hits we've been seeing on livenet since Cat was born.

So...what kinds of tests should we run against the algos as we work to implement one?   What tests must the new algo pass?

Thanks folks!
Andy

**  Oh well...yes Virginia, we have cyclic responses.  The algo's not working very smoothly during extremely low hash periods, and it leaves us high and dry when we're hit hard.  I guess the good part of this is that because there aren't any super-low dips, it won't be profitable for switch pools to camp us long enough to get the 10 or so blocks they're getting now.  This is better than our current PID system, but hopefully we can do better.

SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 01:00:09 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2015, 03:18:00 AM by SlimePuppy

If I wanted to line my pockets, I'd write my own automated counter-exploit code, and orphan those blocks, and not tell anyone about it. But it would probably cost me more to rent the hashpower than if I just bought a lot of catcoin.
You've already written the code - and you kept trying to get us to run that as well.  The rest of us were trying to figure out how to fix the actual problem.  (Come to think of it, why weren't you using your 1337 skillz to fix the algo instead of trying to harpoon whales?)  Bzzzt - thanks for (not) playing.

What I would rather do is publicly explain to anyone who cares to listen how to modify a stratum proxy to get the network to be more stable *without changing catcoind*. But that will require coordination and some hashpower, and willingness to consider that maybe we should have a different way of looking at timestamps than Bitcoin did.
Great.  Let's just jump from "Gee, my last takeover attempts didn't work...maybe I can find some suckers to try this one.  MINIONS!  I need minions to run my code!"   Bzzt - thanks for playing.

It irritates the hell out of me when everyone screams about "we don't have time to test this cause life", and then gets pissed off because I go and test something.
No, "he who hozes" - nobody is "pissed off" because you "go and test something" - we were damn angry because you kept trying to push your latest exploit and We All Said NO - and you did it anyway.  Do not even try revisionist history on top of the other layers of BS.   Bzzzt - thanks for playing.

When I ran some code that nobody liked I thought Catcoin was an orphan, and needed someone to take it over. The fact that you all spent actual cash convinced me there was a community interested in doing something, and well, you know, being a community. The problem is that since then, nothing has happened besides a lot of infighting and FUDing.
More lies with a side of FUD.  Nicely done, hozer, nicely done.  Except you knew damn well Cat wasn't an orphan, you knew it wasn't up for a take-over (though God knows you kept trying).  And you also knew full well that we were putting time and money into this project - you and I spent enough hours on the telephone talking about that, even if you weren't paying attention in IRC or via email.  What you didn't know is that I've been learning C++. Wink

Bzzzt - thanks for playing.

Cat pictures...couldn't hurt...

SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 03:16:59 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2015, 06:19:34 AM by SlimePuppy

We now have a Catcoin daemon with the Dark Gravity Wave 3 diff algo installed.  Blak's got it for testnet.

Let the fun continue. Wink

Andy

DGW3 is on testnet tonight.  So far it's pretty smooth.  A number of coins have moved from KGW to DGW to Digishield.  I guess now we'll know why.

Edit...   Just hit the network with my 30MH/s.  We had a pair of Gridseed 5-chip miners on, for about 700 KH/s at the miner, so this is a good hash jump, but nothing like some of what we've seen on mainnet.  The algo easily adjusted to 10 minute blocks - so did a very good and smooth job in steady conditions.  So far, the algo's pretty slow to respond to a hash increase.  Got about 15 blocks in th e5-15 second range and two blocks at a minute-15 and a minute 50 seconds.  It'll be interesting to see how the algo respons on the 'downhill' side...

FYI - don't consider these rounds to be formal testing.  I'm basically just checking my code to make sure the algo's work well enough test.  Wink
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:40:09 AM

I'm hitting testnet right now with 33 MH/s after about 8 hours of less than 1 MH/s.  DGW3 is very slow.  It takes more than 20 very fast blocks before the difficulty starts to rise.  It also takes way too long for the diff to fall after the heavy hash leaves.  It's very smooth at low diff - no sign of dips - and handles gentle ups and downs beautifully.  But an attacking pool can hit us for 5 minutes and leave us hanging for hours.

I hate to say it, but of DGW, digishield, or our current PID, PIDs in third, DGW in 2nd, and Digi's first.

I still want to try the Phoenixcoin multiple moving average method, and want to find a way to change Digishield's 1 block retarget to 3 or 5.  We'll see.

http://testnet.geekhash.org/

Andy
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:55:41 AM

I'm hitting testnet right now with 33 MH/s after about 8 hours of less than 1 MH/s.  DGW3 is very slow.  It takes more than 20 very fast blocks before the difficulty starts to rise.  It also takes way too long for the diff to fall after the heavy hash leaves.  It's very smooth at low diff - no sign of dips - and handles gentle ups and downs beautifully.  But an attacking pool can hit us for 5 minutes and leave us hanging for hours.

I hate to say it, but of DGW, digishield, or our current PID, PIDs in third, DGW in 2nd, and Digi's first.

I still want to try the Phoenixcoin multiple moving average method, and want to find a way to change Digishield's 1 block retarget to 3 or 5.  We'll see.

Andy

That is the only problem with the DGW.
SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:05:23 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 10:16:30 PM by SlimePuppy

I'm hitting testnet right now with 33 MH/s after about 8 hours of less than 1 MH/s.  DGW3 is very slow.  It takes more than 20 very fast blocks before the difficulty starts to rise.  It also takes way too long for the diff to fall after the heavy hash leaves.  It's very smooth at low diff - no sign of dips - and handles gentle ups and downs beautifully.  But an attacking pool can hit us for 5 minutes and leave us hanging for hours.

I still want to try the Phoenixcoin multiple moving average method, and want to find a way to change Digishield's 1 block retarget to 3 or 5.  We'll see.

Andy

That is the only problem with the DGW.
We've just adjusted some settings to see if we can speed DGW up a bit...

Thanks for checking in!  What difficulty adjustment process do you like?
Andy

By the way - this is Digishield in the real world with more hash.  Look familiar? Wink

SlimePuppy

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:13:49 PM

DGW3 performs better when the block look-back is trimmed to 12 from the default 24 blocks.  It's not quite as smooth during low diff periods, but responds much better when a 40x hash rate increase happens.  The 36 block average at the top (not including the hour-plus top block) was 6:30.  I expect the block average to exceed 10 minutes on the 'down hill' side when that happens.  Right now, though, I'll leave my 30 MH/s and see how the algo acts now that it's adjusted to the hash increase.  (So much for expectations - things are coming down much faster than I thought they would...   Shocked)

The bad news in all of this is that when my 33 MH/s is on testnet, it's not on mainnet.  Expect mainnet blocks to slow for a bit...

Andy
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: