Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:10:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up Antminer S1 with Wi-Fi Antenna  (Read 16980 times)
reduxde (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:06:53 PM

I managed to lock myself out of the Antminer once already trying to set up the wi-fi antenna, so clearly I'm either over or under-thinking this.

Following Dogie's fabulous guide here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355387
And sushi's guide here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344970.0

Both state something to the effect of "add your wireless network settings". 

Here is explicitly what i'm doing:
Network > Interfaces > WiFi > Scan for networks
Putting in the password for the network.  It default to creating a new interface called WWAN.
After hitting apply, both WAN and WWAN connect, but they each seem to take a different IP address (the WAN stays on 192.168.1.99, but the wireless jumps on DHCP somewhere, generally 192.168.1.6 or 192.168.1.7).
I unplug the Ethernet cable & it continues to mine for bitcoins using the wifi.

Great, except the problem is if I unplug the power cord & plug it back in, it can't re-establish the connection.  I've attempted taking down my routers firewall completely, creating a port forwarding for my mining port to the dynamic IP address (which is not practical if I have 2 machines mining off wifi), and bridging the connections (which made my machine totally inaccessable via ethernet & forced me to hard reset it).

Once powered back on, the ONLY way to get it mining again is to plug the ethernet cable in for about 30 seconds so it can get connected again, then unplug the cable.  The problem here is that I would like to set the machine up in another room, which means walking an ethernet cable in there and "jump starting" it every time it loses power, which is not particularly practical.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elduce

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:49:11 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 10:55:42 AM by elduce

Hi,
Try to switch WAN to DHCP. By the way, I also had to use hard reset after bringing of interfaces Grin

you could find it using printed version of forum page & find on page browser function in sushi thread

Here are details https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344970.msg4529537#msg4529537
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:05:25 AM

Reduxde
Please do not start a new thread of each problem you have. There is a antminer troubleshoot thread so post there.
Gordon Bleu

Activity: 308

verified ✔

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:16:45 AM

Reduxde
Please do not start a new thread of each problem you have. There is a antminer troubleshoot thread so post there.

S1 Troubleshoot Thread more than 1000 Entries,  do you really expect one to read all that?

GAWMiners http://gawminers.com/ Gridseed ASICS in stock in USA
ONE YEAR FREE HOSTING AND ELECTRICITY WITH PURCHASE!

AROUSR.COM The Adult Chat Community (21+) We now accept BTCitcoins Smiley               |
Connect with hot girls for chat, talk, trade pics and more!➠Visit http://arousr.com (21+)|
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:21:13 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 12:39:43 AM by alfabitcoin

Reduxde

S1 Troubleshoot Thread more than 1000 Entries,  do you really expect one to read all that?
Have you even read my comment? Its not about reading the whole thread but posting questions as a new thread.
What would happen if each member start a new thread with the concrete question?
He can ask questions regarding ant setup in appropiate thread and wait for an answer, like everybidy else.

Edit
He posted problem as a new thread earlier, however this new thread seems to turn up for solution how to setup antminer wifi.
It need to replace solution post with opening post and thread got a purpose and can be usefull
reduxde (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:21:50 AM

THATS GOT IT!

OK so just to duplicate ALL the information I found useful here (thanks to elduce for passing on mwax321 suggestion), here is how to get the wifi antenna working & what to do if you screw it up.

1) Select WiFi, scan for networks, add your wifi network with whatever the defaults are (create a new WWAN interface, etc).  Just do it the way you would if you had no idea what you were doing.
2) Go back and select the interface for WAN, edit it, and change from STATIC to DHCP CLIENT and click the button directly below it to change the type (not the save or save & apply, but directly next to it to change the type, it might be like "REALLY CHANGE TYPE?", click yes).
3) Unplug the machine, unplug the ethernet cable, plug the electricity back in, wait about 30 seconds.

In the even you screwed up your wifi settings, there is a RESET button on the "card" that the ethernet cable plugs into with white text labeling "S2" (i think, my eyes aren't great).  On my particular machine this button did nothing, so i had to manually do a hard reset.  On the original version, there may not be a button.

If you completely f~k up your machine and cant get back into it, this is how to reset
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUa75bkY.jpg&t=536&c=Ah9HaW4XprLEGA
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUa75bkY.jpg&t=536&c=Ah9HaW4XprLEGA

I can't draw on this image, but i'll describe as best I can using my newbish vocabulary.
Two points of interest:
The big blueish-purpleish chip thing where the wifi antenna wire plugs in.  On the left side of that are 11 connections to the green silicon board.  Not the one on the very bottom, but the one right above that (2nd one).
To the left and up from that about an inch away there is a red light.  Directly left of that are two metal dots.  The upper-most dot that's closest to the red light.

You need to bend a paperclip and touch both of these at the same time while the machine is plugged in.  Not for very long, half a second is all it takes, the machine (and possibly you) will have a sudden heart attack and go completely dark & silent very abruptly.  There should be no risk of electrocution here, but bear in mind I'm just kind of stumbling through to-do lists without a good understanding of what I'm doing here, so no guarantees.  After a lengthy (was nearly 10 minutes for me) boot up, the machine will put itself back on 192.168.1.99.  I never needed to change my computer to static IP or change my router to 192.168.2.1 for any of this, but apparently the older models default to 192.168.2.99 so you need to move your router from 192.168.2.1 (which will kick all your computers off the wifi).

I now have this noisy stinky filthy (possibly radioactive) machine grinding away in my basement.

I love the Antminer S1, and I really like this company, but I'm also quite happy to have this thing out of my room Smiley

edit:
Sorry, I actually took about an hour pawing through the thread & didn't find what I was looking for.  Rather than having every possible problem the machine can encounter all in one thread it would make sense to have threads addressing and solving specific problems for better indexing.

Feel free to delete the thread Smiley
mutex

Activity: 99

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:15:20 PM

Thanks for the guide, got my miner working via Wi-Fi!
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:07:07 AM

I'll need to do this soon... Any performance difference with WiFi?

Hopefully this is easy...
DannyDee

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:03:57 AM

I'll need to do this soon... Any performance difference with WiFi?

Hopefully this is easy...

No difference in performance for me. I'm still running at a stable OC'ed 200ghs off of wifi for days now with no interruption.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:06:18 PM

u will get lots stales / rejects with wifi
ineedit

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:56:29 PM

u will get lots stales / rejects with wifi

Only if you have a crap WiFi connection, if your WiFi is working correctly then there is no difference.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
qosmio

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:47:46 PM

thank you , I also managed to access my ant s1 thru wifi with 192.168.1.136 but maybe yours 135 or 134 try a view until connect, and to complete the post #6 instructions https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=444361.msg4884679#msg4884679 dont forget to press save and apply b4 restart, I did not do that 1st.

testing Smiley
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:51:09 PM

Your router should also be able to assign it a static IP

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
qosmio

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:18:58 PM

because many posts state that they cannot access their ant thru wifi but mine is ok. also no stales here

testing Smiley
btmtb

Activity: 291

Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:00:43 PM

THATS GOT IT!

Also using S1 via wifi here. This is actually the set of steps I took and it works. The silly issues I had that gave me trouble are both mentioned here so this thread has value. The fact I was originally mining via Eth meant I'd configured a static IP on the WAN interface. I couldn't access the web interface when solely on wifi until I switch WAN back to DHCP as mentioned about, and, most stupidly, I didn't do a full reboot after finally unplugging the Eth, as soon as I'd done this and fired it back up, the GUI was available as normal on the WirelessWAN IP.
Warren

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:57:02 AM

THATS GOT IT!

OK so just to duplicate ALL the information I found useful here (thanks to elduce for passing on mwax321 suggestion), here is how to get the wifi antenna working & what to do if you screw it up.

1) Select WiFi, scan for networks, add your wifi network with whatever the defaults are (create a new WWAN interface, etc).  Just do it the way you would if you had no idea what you were doing.
2) Go back and select the interface for WAN, edit it, and change from STATIC to DHCP CLIENT and click the button directly below it to change the type (not the save or save & apply, but directly next to it to change the type, it might be like "REALLY CHANGE TYPE?", click yes).
3) Unplug the machine, unplug the ethernet cable, plug the electricity back in, wait about 30 seconds.

In the even you screwed up your wifi settings, there is a RESET button on the "card" that the ethernet cable plugs into with white text labeling "S2" (i think, my eyes aren't great).  On my particular machine this button did nothing, so i had to manually do a hard reset.  On the original version, there may not be a button.

If you completely f~k up your machine and cant get back into it, this is how to reset

I can't draw on this image, but i'll describe as best I can using my newbish vocabulary.
Two points of interest:
The big blueish-purpleish chip thing where the wifi antenna wire plugs in.  On the left side of that are 11 connections to the green silicon board.  Not the one on the very bottom, but the one right above that (2nd one).
To the left and up from that about an inch away there is a red light.  Directly left of that are two metal dots.  The upper-most dot that's closest to the red light.

You need to bend a paperclip and touch both of these at the same time while the machine is plugged in.  Not for very long, half a second is all it takes, the machine (and possibly you) will have a sudden heart attack and go completely dark & silent very abruptly.  There should be no risk of electrocution here, but bear in mind I'm just kind of stumbling through to-do lists without a good understanding of what I'm doing here, so no guarantees.  After a lengthy (was nearly 10 minutes for me) boot up, the machine will put itself back on 192.168.1.99.  I never needed to change my computer to static IP or change my router to 192.168.2.1 for any of this, but apparently the older models default to 192.168.2.99 so you need to move your router from 192.168.2.1 (which will kick all your computers off the wifi).

I now have this noisy stinky filthy (possibly radioactive) machine grinding away in my basement.

I love the Antminer S1, and I really like this company, but I'm also quite happy to have this thing out of my room Smiley

edit:
Sorry, I actually took about an hour pawing through the thread & didn't find what I was looking for.  Rather than having every possible problem the machine can encounter all in one thread it would make sense to have threads addressing and solving specific problems for better indexing.

Feel free to delete the thread Smiley

Just want to say that your post is appreciated, and this thread is useful.

My miners have been running fine on the cable, but I needed to go to wifi for a while and couldn't get it to work until I found your step-by-step instructions. I still can't connect to the admin area without a cable, but at least they are now happily mining away over wifi. So thanks a lot for the useful post! Smiley
qosmio

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:57:06 PM

try to access your wifi ant with 192.168.1.135 or 136 or 134

testing Smiley
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 04:51:53 PM

If you have a problem, post in the thread in my sig. Separate troubleshooting threads just dilute the knowledge.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:51:25 PM

because many posts state that they cannot access their ant thru wifi but mine is ok. also no stales here

Shitty speeds though....  Roll Eyes
qosmio

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:46:59 AM

only 32min test, did not oc since my psu are very low on amps. soon i get new psu and then go oc Smiley

testing Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: