Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:56:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][AUR] Auroracoin - a cryptocurrency for Iceland  (Read 506367 times)
Munken

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:09:32 PM

Hi all!

This coin seems to have a great opportunity in succeeding as well as Bitcoin. A large part of this is dependent on the Airdrop which has to reach all/most of the population of Iceland, which remains to be seen. I do not see how this could not be possible as long as the pre-mined coins are distributed as told. But for this to happen the coin need strong support from it's miners for the time being. There are some who are eager to make a quick buck with selling their Auroracoins before the launch at a pretty low price compared to Bitcoin. This will force the value of the coin down, just like all the other coins out there. Why not instead demand a high price of the coin which would benefit more then just one person? This will also force people to mine the coin and build a foundation for this currency. That being said I fell everyone participating in mining some Auroracoins still has the opportunity to get coins compared to Bitcoin which is out of reach for the most of us.

I guess the reason for creating the Auroracoin is to give the banksters a run for their money. This can only be achieved if the coin gains a significant value from the start. If the coin gets a high value from start it will gain significant publicity, which in turn will result in that the community of Iceland will probably accept it as a payment method. It seems as a "win-win" situation for all of the people using the coin. Others have also suggested using a crypto-currency for Iceland(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCpj_myGOs). Auroracoin could be a "first of an kind".

Kiss

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nite69

Activity: 477
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:20:32 PM

I consider 100 AUR/Btc quite a high price. A lot more profitable to mine than litecoin.
But eventually the price will be quite much how Icelanders value it. I assume some part of Icelanders don't value it at all and sell (or don't even bother claiming) at the beginning. Other part think it is worth buying and buy it.

At some point the first group is out of coins and the price will get a lot higher ;-).

But what will the price be? As with all cryptocoins, it will be just the value the users give it. Since this is a kind of special case, it is a mystery. If majority of Icelanders don't value it, it will be cheap. And the opposite. Let's hope for the later ;-) And knowing islanders they might surprice us with this.. Iceland is a perfect 'laboratory' for this experiment!

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:30:06 PM

Think about when the day gets closer and media coverage increases.. everyone in Iceland will be talking about it in their workplaces, schools, streets, pubs... this is so exciting experiment that I get dizzy even thinking about it.
alber

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:32:02 PM

How long does block rewards remain unconfirmed in the pool? I'm mining in http://aur.pool-a.net/

Thanks
Approx 17 hours.  Average 600 sec per block. 100 block confirmation in pool

such a long time for confirmations, irritating in fact

Thanks for the info guys Cheesy
That Guy

Activity: 75

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2014, 09:03:33 PM by That Guy

So a quick crunch of the numbers according to what people are trying to trade AUR at, and the current USD to ISK conversion, I got the following.

1 USD = 115 ISK
1 BTC = 700 USD = 80,500 ISK
1 AUR = 0.01 BTC = 7 USD = 805 ISK

31.8 AUR = 222.6 USD = 25,599 ISK

A quick google search shows the average monthly income in Iceland is around 40K Krona, but that this figure is most likely skewed and it is actually far less.

So assuming that this price stays till the Airdrop (highly unlikely), they would essentially be receiving about 2-3 weeks pay for free. This should grab some interest with them, and I believe Iceland also has over a 95% Internet penetration rate.

I hope this does help them out, would be great to be part of a movement to turn around their financial situation.

EDIT: Slight correction as it appears the monthly income is around 400K Krona.

"Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep." -That Guy
navarthelol

Activity: 133
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:49:10 PM

Hi all!

This coin seems to have a great opportunity in succeeding as well as Bitcoin. A large part of this is dependent on the Airdrop which has to reach all/most of the population of Iceland, which remains to be seen. I do not see how this could not be possible as long as the pre-mined coins are distributed as told. But for this to happen the coin need strong support from it's miners for the time being. There are some who are eager to make a quick buck with selling their Auroracoins before the launch at a pretty low price compared to Bitcoin. This will force the value of the coin down, just like all the other coins out there. Why not instead demand a high price of the coin which would benefit more then just one person? This will also force people to mine the coin and build a foundation for this currency. That being said I fell everyone participating in mining some Auroracoins still has the opportunity to get coins compared to Bitcoin which is out of reach for the most of us.

I guess the reason for creating the Auroracoin is to give the banksters a run for their money. This can only be achieved if the coin gains a significant value from the start. If the coin gets a high value from start it will gain significant publicity, which in turn will result in that the community of Iceland will probably accept it as a payment method. It seems as a "win-win" situation for all of the people using the coin. Others have also suggested using a crypto-currency for Iceland(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCpj_myGOs). Auroracoin could be a "first of an kind".

Kiss

A nice thought but even 100aura to 1BTC is extremely generous, imagine hypothetically speaking that 1AUR will be worth 1BTC; everyone in Iceland will be given 30ish coins instantly valued at 30 BTC, the first thing they'll do is go straight to exchange and sell for some much needed IRL monies, even 0.3BTC for nothing is still very generous imo considering that the population of an entire country is about to be given $250ish each.

I think the coin has been poorly developed based on the fact that it is taking 24 hours to get confirmations, this creates a slightly inhospitable environment for miners. Additionally the community of this coin is extremely small and appears to be uncaring of its 'purpose', this however is not down to the community itself but to the developers which have done nothing to promote or encourage such a culture- all about removing the Icelandic from the chains of banks.

The developer released the coin without pools, without wallets, without exchange and without any plans/word of how he intends to achieve his vision, just "wait for the 25th March guys in the mean time i'll let you develop the infrastructure for me whilst I stay anonymous." He's operating completely from the shadows on a coin with 50% premine, very suspicious.
ratcatcher

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:17:17 PM

Additionally the community of this coin is extremely small and appears to be uncaring of its 'purpose', this however is not down to the community itself but to the developers which have done nothing to promote or encourage such a culture- all about removing the Icelandic from the chains of banks.

The developer (and I'm guessing this is a solo project) has achieved some pretty good media coverage.  That's how I heard about this coin.

KOI/COYE: 5eFMV3xc46Kb62pjNJDkb2j7sFxhnaud3L
AUR: AaTcMBRoBHD7i48bLaE8QZXF3smF1bSwk9
MOON: 2JWdEG6RHwZq8edB4iLJ4F8HT782eP3gYe
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:19:45 PM

Additionally the community of this coin is extremely small and appears to be uncaring of its 'purpose', this however is not down to the community itself but to the developers which have done nothing to promote or encourage such a culture- all about removing the Icelandic from the chains of banks.

The developer (and I'm guessing this is a solo project) has achieved some pretty good media coverage.  That's how I heard about this coin.

Yep, there is buzz outside this small crypto community that most coins here can only dream about.
Munken

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:35:14 PM

Hi all!

Kiss

A nice thought but even 100aura to 1BTC is extremely generous, imagine hypothetically speaking that 1AUR will be worth 1BTC; everyone in Iceland will be given 30ish coins instantly valued at 30 BTC, the first thing they'll do is go straight to exchange and sell for some much needed IRL monies, even 0.3BTC for nothing is still very generous imo considering that the population of an entire country is about to be given $250ish each.

I think the coin has been poorly developed based on the fact that it is taking 24 hours to get confirmations, this creates a slightly inhospitable environment for miners. Additionally the community of this coin is extremely small and appears to be uncaring of its 'purpose', this however is not down to the community itself but to the developers which have done nothing to promote or encourage such a culture- all about removing the Icelandic from the chains of banks.

The developer released the coin without pools, without wallets, without exchange and without any plans/word of how he intends to achieve his vision, just "wait for the 25th March guys in the mean time i'll let you develop the infrastructure for me whilst I stay anonymous." He's operating completely from the shadows on a coin with 50% premine, very suspicious.

I somewhat agree with you on you're arguments and you brought some good points to the conversation, but then there is always two sides to the coin.

Yes, at the time being, compared to the other coins 100 AUR for 1 BTC is very generous. In regards to if 1 AUR would reach 1 BTC will remain to be seen. But I would rather see this wealth be distributed fairly among all those people then seeing how it is with Bitcoin.

I believe they are in need of help with development of this cause, that's probably why things are moving so slow.

With you're last argument I'll agree completely. This is completely dependent of the premine and that the coins are distributed as said. I would suggest the developer to step into publicity in some way, without that this will be just another shitcoin.  

Kiss
ZoladkowaGorzka

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:38:02 PM

The developer (and I'm guessing this is a solo project) has achieved some pretty good media coverage.  That's how I heard about this coin.

Yep, there is buzz outside this small crypto community that most coins here can only dream about.

We need more Islanders to report on the media coverage on Aurora and to make their own campaign on Island. This will also draw attention from foreigners, just like me.
Ppl are getting tired of all these pump and dump shitcoins. But if Islanders will attach some value and will start to use Auroracoin people from other countries will also attach the value.

It's pretty hard to make people use virtual coin of unknown origin, but what the dev and other Islanders may achieve is major acceptance of coins from airdrop. The more people the better.
But the dev needs to step in and clarify all the dark parts of prpject that we don't understand completely

elviselvis101

Activity: 573

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:39:07 PM

Hi all!

Kiss

I like the idea!
Skbjorn

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:46:46 PM

Hi, i'm interested in buying some aurora coins, pm me if you're selling. By the way i'm new on this forum, and to crypto currencies. One correction on something i saw, monthly average income is not 40k krona in iceland, bu 400k krona (i'm from iceland).
That Guy

Activity: 75

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:03:54 PM

Hi, i'm interested in buying some aurora coins, pm me if you're selling. By the way i'm new on this forum, and to crypto currencies. One correction on something i saw, monthly average income is not 40k krona in iceland, bu 400k krona (i'm from iceland).

Thanks, I've edited my post.

"Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep." -That Guy
uozer

Activity: 381
Merit: 100

PRiVCY

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:13:43 PM

sorry edited as pm

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:26:25 PM

But if Islanders will attach some value and will start to use Auroracoin people from other countries will also attach the value.

This is exaclty the point.

(If not a scam), the success of this coin depends on adoption in iceland.

It happened before in Iceland (a private currency replacing the government one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCpj_myGOs#t=802

Very nice story indeed. Vouchers issued by a construction company for "a qubic meter of concrete" came to be used as currency and at one point were even accepted by the government as tax payment ("they had use for it").

So this is entirely possible.

Of course there are myriads of failure modes for this experiment, but I like it, will follow it closely and am investing some time and money already Wink.

(clarification on handling of premined funds and the airdrop would be very appreciated)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:30:30 PM

Hi all!

Kiss

I am pretty sure it was in fact released with a pool and a wallet. Just on http://www.auroracoin.org at first. In fact there is still no link from the ANN page to the wallet. But the wallet from the website is a self install exe. of the QT. Places it right in the program files. Seems like it is being developed to be user friendly to a nation, not necessarily caring much about whether a ton of people on Bitcointalk jump into mining it or endorsing it. The dev has specifically said on twitter that you can do what you want with the mined coins, but to not put the organizations name on any request to be placed into exchanges. This coin is very interesting in concept and has enormous potential. But I do agree, it could easily be a scam in the magnitude of $100 million for the dev by the time April 1st hits a week after the "airdrop." My gut is telling me to pick a few of these up in the meantime.
durrrr91

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:00:37 PM

I opened this thread on reddit and the developer (I assume) answered me. Though some of you might find it interesting:
http://www.reddit.com/r/auroracoin/comments/1xguqd/question_are_the_50_of_the_premined_coins_in_a
cointron

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:25:31 PM

I opened this thread on reddit and the developer (I assume) answered me. Though some of you might find it interesting:
http://www.reddit.com/r/auroracoin/comments/1xguqd/question_are_the_50_of_the_premined_coins_in_a

Forget the Dev. Just buy/sell and keep mining.-  Enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vxZwvrrWI
durrrr91

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:39:28 PM

The coins are stored in 21 addresses, 500,000 coins in each. As the airdrop progresses coins from an address will be added to a hot wallet on the dispensing server. You will be able to monitor these addresses as soon as there is a block explorer available. Someone should make a block explorer.

These are the addresses:
AJgZfkqagmjajiB5pbAuXfh7yG9M5iMY9v
APjdUEiCX2VfXRsh1BNRDXUbjMsTjXMyCT
AKcofzy2QjT6U3L2ekqyTrDuc3GS4tZR1e
AYJWvKESbRoRt8krm5bZNiVqc2DhPx5eBP
AVqRJTCPAR5hP1dbwhNcYX83UDiMFNi8pE
ATk5sZMnfUq6brhawaUvb2TUJ5JGBiT5UT
AdSJSDKvAkNLNXT6BgqgghkVm13UwuMFv6
ALbfJXCQZEvedBGg1J5a8hSga5aHcVh2WZ
AH4iAPn5Custyzm4tak6By2iyPmUARVF28
AFvV2BpTD5FGESFDww9dGHsHdpu1RDpryj
AVpwukHqGch8Wyyf1vxCD74UVfwwMSoE4u
ASJWxLQ7ZyJs3b6BnyyrFZbVKZCLGeqt4f
AYQwvfpHHZhKLHmCVnVd6H2PiKtbB5rsHU
AW9FLMGEz7Gfn4yVc2rUi1fdDi9Us36tYq
AXdiVGBWUtQbbXUHoKa6z3x3QMY79f6ZNR
APsjgVJPAtCorTjL2tLNB57RdCqKRJbKF6
AXif7x3dvukyVf8WnpiDrPTRmFzzpHJWbv
ARuirTGMuHcj5GgRgvHjJanrKjUwAujbPk
Aei22bhuXAJDuBtFt9o6Nx1QD2r73o7NcE
AL7nAQ8w88Hwff7uKSnThyhqgLCSxW9Zyv
AXkTQuECcpF7DoPzRhq8gyk6tyvnrEM8G8
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:46:14 PM

So is the difficulty going to drop drastically? Why does my pool say current difficulty 29 and next difficulty change in a whopping 700+ blocks is expected to be around 2?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 268 »
  Print  

Jump to: