Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:47:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we realy need NXT / Ripple ?  (Read 3149 times)
crocko (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:57:05 PM

Bitcoin may not be perfect but it's good enough. Period.

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BazkieBumpercar

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:36:35 PM

100% premined- and corporate-owned coins are a step back towards oldskool fiat. And we wanted to get away from that in the first place, because of disadvantages like that, didn't we?

So yeah - something may replace Bitcoin at some point, but it sure as hell won't be Ripple or NXT.
ervalvola

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:53:26 PM

I really don't know so much about NXT (i will when i'll have time) but the purpose of ripple isn't to replace bitcoins but rather to complement it.

Right now you can buy bitcoins throught ripple with so many gateways, some of them let you to use credit card (it was peercover.com, don't know if that feature is still alive), other have various physical locations (more than 20000 in the US, just google ripple-zipzap)... and we're just at the beginning. Ripple is a great opportunity to make bitcoin ubiquitous.
You can pay in bitcoin independently from the currency chosen by merchants, because of the p2p integrated currency-market. You send BTC, merchants receive pesetas Tongue
Transaction are offchain and very cheap and so on...

XRP have other purposes, I just don't see any competition between bitcoins and ripples.

anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:56:55 PM

XRP have other purposes, I just don't see any competition between bitcoins and ripples.

If everyone accepted payments through Ripple, what would be the point of Bitcoin? I guess it'd still be an investment asset, but if all I want is an investment asset there are a lot less risky options than Bitcoin.

If it were easy for everyone to exchange BTC with their local currencies, what would be the point of Ripple? Buy BTC with my currency, transfer the BTC to the seller, let the seller sell the BTC for her currency.

I don't know what the purpose of Ripple was, but the two definitely compete with one another.
Voluntold

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:05:00 PM

The differences between Ripple and Nxt are huge. First off, Premined does not = scam. Ripple is centralized, and I don't believe it is open source. Nxt's main complaint seems to be about the initial distribution, which so far is better than bitcoin, so I don't see where people can be complaining there. Look, you can either put 10k-20k in mining equipment and try to get rich, or put 10k-20k in a stake in Nxt and try and get rich. Personally, I think Nxt has HUGE potential. I think the people that are butthurt about Nxt, are mostly the people that already have thousands of dollars worth of mining equipment, and are now upset to see that you can support the NXT network on a solar powered Raspberry Pi...

Nxt:  NXT-5BHG-9VRE-QGW6-DRZVQ
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:12:47 PM

Hold on a second...

So, you Nxt'ers and others are not competing with fiat or with Paypal? You want to actually beat/replace Bitcoin?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
ervalvola

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:14:10 PM

If everyone accepted payments through Ripple, what would be the point of Bitcoin? I guess it'd still be an investment asset, but if all I want is an investment asset there are a lot less risky options than Bitcoin.

No, i believe that, supposed the "freedom of choice", the principle that make me choose a currency or another could be of various kind.
For sure bitcoin have an "ideological backing" that XRP miss. You can mine bitcoin and you can't mine ripple; the vision is completely different but inside ripple sending bitcoins is as simple as sending XRP.

XRP are needed to link different gateways and as anti-spam measure. They are a speculative asset thought for businesses and market-makers, I believe.

If it were easy for everyone to exchange BTC with their local currencies, what would be the point of Ripple?

Ripple actually makes easier to exchange bitcoins with local currencies, that's its point ; )
Really, I believe that much of the hate for ripple will blow up when people will see its usefulness; the federate payment system is very powerfull. Right now you can open a gateway and if you are good at market making you consumers can buy with their currency in everyshop accepting bitcoins and ripple.

Actually you can buy everything with PPC XPM NMC LTC NXT and even with DOGECOIN; thx to ripple Tongue
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:17:40 PM

I see u r not an open-minded person...
anth0ny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:25:22 PM

Ripple actually makes easier to exchange bitcoins with local currencies, that's its point ; )

As far as I can tell it doesn't do that.

I want to buy a BTC with US dollars. How does Ripple make it easier for me to do that?

Ultimately I have to send my US dollars to someone I trust. OK, so I send it to Coinbase and buy my BTC.

Again, how does Ripple make things any easier?
anth0ny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:27:36 PM

Actually you can buy everything with PPC XPM NMC LTC NXT and even with DOGECOIN; thx to ripple Tongue

Who cares? No one accepts PPC XPM NMC LTC NXT or DOGECOIN.

Besides, I don't need Ripple to exchange BTC for some coin-no-one-cares-about. I can do that on BTC-E.

The only part that's somewhat of a hassle is exchanging USD with BTC. But with Ripple the hassle is finding someone who will extend trust to me in USD, and that's harder than finding someone to exchange USD/BTC.
ervalvola

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:36:05 PM

No one needs to accept DOGE.
You send DOGE - the merchants receive USD (or Bitcoin, or swensencoin or cipstercoin or whatever).

Rly you should try ripple, is a nice software.

The only part that's somewhat of a hassle is exchanging USD with BTC. But with Ripple the hassle is finding someone who will extend trust to me in USD.

NO no, no1 needs to trust you Cheesy
Trust is needed only for gateways ; )
NEVER give trust to individual unless you are a very expert of the system!
anth0ny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:39:27 PM

No one needs to accept DOGE.
You send DOGE - the merchants receive USD (or Bitcoin, or swensencoin or cipstercoin or whatever).

Rly you should try ripple, is a nice software.

I have tried it. Got nowhere and accomplished nothing.

The only part that's somewhat of a hassle is exchanging USD with BTC. But with Ripple the hassle is finding someone who will extend trust to me in USD.

NO no, no1 needs to trust you Cheesy
Trust is needed only for gateways ; )
NEVER give trust to individual unless you are a very expert of the system!

I don't know what the stupid terminology is. All I know is that it was a lot easier to spend BTC than it is to use Ripple. I didn't have to send a money order to someone I didn't know. I didn't have to meet with anyone in a dark alleyway. I gave my bank information to Coinbase and they hooked me up with BTC.
pinarello

Activity: 266

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:42:41 PM

Roll Eyes

Op what is your agenda?

pinarello

Activity: 266

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:44:10 PM

Hold on a second...

So, you Nxt'ers and others are not competing with fiat or with Paypal? You want to actually beat/replace Bitcoin?

Yes nothing less. period.

instacalm

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:44:17 PM

The differences between Ripple and Nxt are huge. First off, Premined does not = scam. Ripple is centralized, and I don't believe it is open source. Nxt's main complaint seems to be about the initial distribution, which so far is better than bitcoin, so I don't see where people can be complaining there. Look, you can either put 10k-20k in mining equipment and try to get rich, or put 10k-20k in a stake in Nxt and try and get rich. Personally, I think Nxt has HUGE potential. I think the people that are butthurt about Nxt, are mostly the people that already have thousands of dollars worth of mining equipment, and are now upset to see that you can support the NXT network on a solar powered Raspberry Pi...

Good post -- I can only add that a lot of individuals who happen to be mad about NXT (or Ripple) unfortunately fail to understand both. They babble "scam" but do not grasp the concept of PoS or in the case of Ripple, its nature of a p2p payment network.
ervalvola

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:44:57 PM

I want to buy a BTC with US dollars. How does Ripple make it easier for me to do that?

Ultimately I have to send my US dollars to someone I trust. OK, so I send it to Coinbase and buy my BTC.

It does! ; )
Let's imagine that, for example, coinbase act as a ripple gateway. YOu could send USD to coinbase and buy bitcoins from Bitstamp, RippleChina, TheRockTrading, or wherever you want, if the price are lower or it's easier to cash out.
Actually you can send USD to SnapSwap (or deposit locally through ZipZap locations) and buy bitcoins from bitstamp inside the ripple wallet.
It federates the various money-transmitting business; could be very disruptive.

Btw, I'm not so crazy about ripple, it's just a good software which, I believe, could be very usefull.
anth0ny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:48:45 PM

It does! ; )
Let's imagine that, for example, coinbase act as a ripple gateway.

No. I don't want to use my imagination. How does Ripple actually make things any easier?

Coinbase doesn't "act as a ripple gateway", and I see no reason to believe they ever will.

YOu could send USD to coinbase and buy bitcoins from Bitstamp, RippleChina, TheRockTrading, or wherever you want, if the price are lower or it's easier to cash out.
Actually you can send USD to SnapSwap (or deposit locally through ZipZap locations) and buy bitcoins from bitstamp inside the ripple wallet.

If I trusted Bitstamp or RippleChina or TheRockTrading or wherever then I'd just go with them directly.

I trust Coinbase. So I send my USD to Coinbase. And I get my BTC.

Ripple doesn't make that any easier.

(By the way, why in the world would Coinbase facilitate buying your BTC from some other company at a lower price?)
ervalvola

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:52:27 PM

Ripple is young. You couldn't buy anything in the first year with BTC.

Btw, if you don't like ripple, nobody is forcing you to use, lol Cheesy
anth0ny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:58:56 PM

Ripple is young. You couldn't buy anything in the first year with BTC.

Yeah, but the potential was there, at least.

Btw, if you don't like ripple, nobody is forcing you to use, lol Cheesy

I'm not sure how anyone would force me to use it since I'm unable to use it!

Yes, I guess I don't like Ripple. But what I really don't like is when people try to say that Ripple isn't competitive with Bitcoin.

"Bitcoin may not be perfect but it's good enough." Damn straight. I hope the vast majority of us can focus on getting Bitcoin accepted everywhere rather than wasting time with also-rans like Ripple.
ervalvola

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:01:44 PM

Yes, I guess I don't like Ripple. But what I really don't like is when people try to say that Ripple isn't competitive with Bitcoin.

It's the truth however...
actually ripple helps bitcoin...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: