Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:43:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What if someone forgot the key to their bitcoin wallet ?  (Read 1880 times)
Vsamuel

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:43:41 AM

Forgetting your private key to your assets will mean your assets is safe but inaccessible to you. To avoid the situation whereby you are unable to access your funds because you have forgotten your private key, i would advice
1. You avoid trying to memorize your private key
2. Store your private key in a hardware device
3. Save it as a pdf/word document
4. You might want to write it done severally at places that you would like to go searching in case you in need of it.

I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anil_saini01

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 11:00:09 AM

If you have lost your key then it is lost forever. You cannot get it back. So remember to make 2-3 backups of your key and store someplace safe like its the most precious thing.
fishball

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 11:34:42 AM

What are the measures to keep your private key safe and in memory ? Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back ?

One should really take this into future consideration for we can not really tell what will happen. We should be cautious to things like these since we are holding such money. So bettee if you have a printed copy and place it in a safest place and try telling it to someone whom you trust.
satana_igor666

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 12:54:10 PM

You should always write down passwords.  Memory is such, if you do not check and enter for a long time, then you can just forget it.
shelemiah31

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 12:59:32 PM

This happened to me one time but I was able to retrieve it by logging into the email I used to create the bitcoin wallet.I tend to forget things that is why I always take down notes on my passwords.
jpnl0008

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:53:10 PM

Forgetting your key then forget everything you have worked for cause you just sold yourself out to hackers thats why i do advise you have your private key printed out so you do not mix things up have them printed out and be safe thanks
tanginamoo

Activity: 276
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 11:20:49 PM

FOrgetting your key is equavalent to losing all your stored money in that key. So it a lesson for us to make some copy of it for emergency purposes just like in the subject topic.

The Cryptologist

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:02:41 AM

What are the measures to keep your private key safe and in memory ? Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back ?

Don't memorize it because it is going to be very hard. Just keep it safe in a hidden place that you are the one who can access it. The only preventive measure you can do it to make two back ups. If you lost one, you still have another one and it should be written on a physical paper and not stored digitally.
teklang01

Activity: 173
Merit: 7

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:40:27 AM

This happens to me also, i forgot my private keys, unfortunately i didn't write it down or save in my computer. I asked help from ky brother if he could retrieve it, he just gave me a new private keys i didn't know what he did to retrieve it. Lesson learned, i keep a copy of my private keys written in paper, i also saved in my computer and usb.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:52:05 AM

You can print the private key and store it somewhere safe or you can buy hardware wallet and use it for better security. One of the advantages of crypto is that you have full control of your own money but that means you'll lose your money if you lose the private key because there's no way to retrieve it.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
turagsoy123456

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:56:42 AM

Private key is very important its is the only  key to unlock  our wallet account, in order for us to transact important things like withdrawal our money. That is why we need to keep it safely...we should also need a back copy to our private key by saving it in storage device like, usb, external hardisk and also in personal laptop.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Lalapo08

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:08:53 AM

You can store your bitcoin wallet keys safely in memory if you are a person who is not forgetful. But if you are a forgetful person then you can save your bitcoin wallet key by writing it on paper then you can save it in a place that you think is safe and only you know its existence. But if you have already forgotten your bitcoin key then for whatever reason you will not be able to access it. That is one of the weaknesses of the decentralization system.
nesty

Activity: 518
Merit: 184

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:14:13 AM

There are no alternative way to retrieve the keys specially if you lost all your back up files. What you need to do is to safe keep those keys as much as back up as you can make because you will say goodbye to your investment if you cannot retrieve the keys.

ImTree

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 07:32:47 PM

You will not be able to return access to your wallet. The best method is to have a spare key, so it's worth a print your private keys to any form of paper that you can keep for safety. It can help you in the future.
teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:02:47 PM

your private key is extremely important and thus you expected to do every thing possible to safe guard it forgeting the key to your wallet simply means your bitcoin is gone. it is adviceable to save it in at least two places you have access to
dgreat

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:21:52 PM

In as much as bitcoin wallet is concerned, the key to the bitcoin wallet is very much important. Upon opening an account, a wallet address a private key is also generated which will give you access to your account and to carry out transactions. It is advisable you store it very safe because it not well protected you just might be exposed to danger such as hacker's and it might result to you forfeiting that wallet which means you are losing that account irrespective of the amount value of bitcoin in it.. You should save your wallet address keys in atleast 3 different places where you have access to anytime and you can get it anytime you want to. When you loss your private keys, I doubt the possibility of you getting a new one and as a matter of fact if you loose your bitcoin wallet keys, consider your money gone.
munareal

Activity: 644
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:29:02 PM

If you forget the key to your bitcoin wallet then your coins will be gone forever.  The best way to store your private keys is through a hardware device or paper wallet
EoNs_COIN

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:34:52 PM

that would be very unfortunate  Shocked
Varun Kanwar

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:37:18 PM

If the key is lost then it is better to forgot your bitcoins too as there is no way you could recover your keys. This is the beauty of bitcoin and other wallets. The primary reason of this feature is security of your assets and it can sometimes lead to loss of crypto. So one needs to have enough backups of their wallet keys.
diego ramos

Activity: 113

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 04:43:36 PM

You have to keep the password and login in a safe enough place, like write it on a notepad or something, that is the only way to solve this in my opinion!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: