Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:09:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSING DOWN] ScryptGuild Auto-Switching Pool  (Read 102201 times)
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:45:36 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 02:21:45 AM by xstr8guy

I'm a Scrypt noob, so be nice!  And this post probably belongs in the CGMiner thread.  But I'm afraid I'll be shredded for my ignorance over there.   Undecided

I've been mining BTC for over a year, first with GPUs and more seriously with ASICs over the past 9 months.  So I have a handful of AMD 79xx's lying around collecting dust and thought I would try a bit of Scrypt mining as a lark.

My problem... I'm a BFGMiner user (with my ASICs that require additional software to run).  And for some reason when I try to mine Scrypt with BFG, the stats on the miner show around 600KHs for a 7970, which sounds ok.  But the stats at the pool show something like 60KHs and less.  I've tried a couple of other pools for comparison with similar results.

So I guess my problem is with BFGMiner then, right.  So why don't I use CG/SGMiner?  Now here's the embarrassing part... when I unpack the compressed CGMiner file, there's no cgminer.exe in the folder!  I've tried different versions, checked my AV quarantine, etc.  I get no alerts that cgminer.exe is malicious when I download or unpack. But still no cgminer.exe to be found anywhere.  Oddly, when I unzip BFGMiner, my AV software puts bfgminer.exe in quarantine but I just have to restore it and it works fine.

What the hell am I doing wrong?!  Where's my cgminer.exe?

Edit... Windows 8.  And no, I don't do Linux.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:48:04 AM

Why is it the hashrate jumps up during the day and goes down at night?

People turning their computers off and not dedicated miners?  Botnet(s)?

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:03:39 AM

The pool is new, had a big bump as people checked it out and now some are pointing their hash rate elsewhere. People probably don't understand how the shift system works and think payouts are low.
sbfree

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:39:19 AM

I'm a Scrypt noob, so be nice!  And this post probably belongs in the CGMiner thread.  But I'm afraid I'll be shredded for my ignorance over there.   Undecided

I've been mining BTC for over a year, first with GPUs and more seriously with ASICs over the past 9 months.  So I have a handful of AMD 79xx's lying around collecting dust and thought I would try a bit of Scrypt mining as a lark.

My problem... I'm a BFGMiner user (with my ASICs that require additional software to run).  And for some reason when I try to mine Scrypt with BFG, the stats on the miner show around 600KHs for a 7970, which sounds ok.  But the stats at the pool show something like 60KHs and less.  I've tried a couple of other pools for comparison with similar results.

So I guess my problem is with BFGMiner then, right.  So why don't I use CG/SGMiner?  Now here's the embarrassing part... when I unpack the compressed CGMiner file, there's no cgminer.exe in the folder!  I've tried different versions, checked my AV quarantine, etc.  I get no alerts that cgminer.exe is malicious when I download or unpack. But still no cgminer.exe to be found anywhere.  Oddly, when I unzip BFGMiner, my AV software puts bfgminer.exe in quarantine but I just have to restore it and it works fine.

hey there, if anything start with GUIMINER then work your way into cgminer.....much easier
sbfree

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:40:08 AM

hey @el,

hope you don't mind, but I pumped scryptguild on some other threads, hope it helps.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:58:31 AM

hey there, if anything start with GUIMINER then work your way into cgminer.....much easier

I did just that, thanks!  No matter what I did when trying to install CGMiner, I didn't have cgminer.exe in the folder.  With GUIMiner, it's there!  Smiley

I'm even using CudaMiner that's included in the GUIMiner package and I'm hashing with a Titan at ~400KHs.  Not too shabby.  And I'm also hashing with a 7970 (~700KHs) and 7950 (a disappointing ~350KHs).  I have another 7970 and 7950 packed away somewhere.  I just may have to dig them out too.

This reminds me of the good ol' days of GPU Bitcoin mining.  And of course I jumped in too late, just right before ASICs start ruining Scrypt mining too, lol.
akeetlebeetle

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:59:30 AM

I did just that, thanks!  No matter what I did when trying to install CGMiner, I didn't have cgminer.exe in the folder.  With GUIMiner, it's there!  Smiley

I'm even using CudaMiner that's included in the GUIMiner package and I'm hashing with a Titan at ~400KHs.  Not too shabby.  And I'm also hashing with a 7970 (~700KHs) and 7950 (a disappointing ~350KHs).  I have another 7970 and 7950 packed away somewhere.  I just may have to dig them out too.

This reminds me of the good ol' days of GPU Bitcoin mining.  And of course I jumped in too late, just right before ASICs start ruining Scrypt mining too, lol.

It's not too late. The first scrypt ASIC has just hit and it isn't any cheaper than GPUs. Just more cost-effective.

I honestly don't think that scryptcoins are going to be *as* affected by asics as bitcoin mainly for two reasons:

1) You need additional memory for scrypt asics (thus increasing the manufacturing price)

2) unlike bitcoin, there is not only ONE coin to point your miners at. There are many (used to be pretty much just Litecoin), but the game's changed and now that the cat doge has been let out of the bag, there will always be new altcoins to mine.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

The pool is new, had a big bump as people checked it out and now some are pointing their hash rate elsewhere. People probably don't understand how the shift system works and think payouts are low.

I've been here for a good number of days now, this isn't a new trend.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
d(o_o)b

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:32:40 PM

I have a question about the ScryptGuild site.

I have been looking for info about worker difficulty settings. How exactly do you set that for efficiency? Like if I have a 7770 worker and an r9 290 worker what are the best difficulty settings? And how do I read them in cgminer? Like I get some various numbers like 2.4k/256 or 235/256 or 577/16 or 243/128 depending - but I don't know how to read them or the meaning of the setting - could you enlighten me on the subject just a little please?
Thanks!

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:45:05 PM

I have a question about the ScryptGuild site.

I have been looking for info about worker difficulty settings. How exactly do you set that for efficiency? Like if I have a 7770 worker and an r9 290 worker what are the best difficulty settings? And how do I read them in cgminer? Like I get some various numbers like 2.4k/256 or 235/256 or 577/16 or 243/128 depending - but I don't know how to read them or the meaning of the setting - could you enlighten me on the subject just a little please?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the site will adjust your difficulty if you have it set too low.  You can try setting to the lowest and see what it ends up ramping up to.

For the 290, I would set it at 128, maybe 256.  For the 7770, probably 64.

Higher difficulty will mean less bandwidth but more variance.  You could set them all to 1024 or higher, but you'd get quite a bit of variance with that.  (Variance meaning you'll have times when you get lots of shares, and there will be times when you don't get many.)

M

ak49er

Activity: 672

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:35:11 AM

Why is it the hashrate jumps up during the day and goes down at night?

People turning their computers off and not dedicated miners?  Botnet(s)?

M
There is one particular user with a huge amount of hash power compared to the rest of us on there.  He comes and goes, and that's why you see the fluctuation.  My bet is that when we're out of beta and there are a few of the more juicier features added that are in the pipeline then the hash rate will grow and stabilize.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 03:27:24 AM

Can someone using the "autoconvert to bitcoin" function tell me how much they earn (in btc) on average per week per kHash?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
cad_cdn

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:38:03 AM

curious how earnings compare to say - clevermining and other auto switching pools?
multipool for example auto switches, but to many to useless coins
clevermining auto pays in btc, and seems to be about 115% or so above straight ltc mining.

thx
d(o_o)b

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:29:45 AM

Can someone using the "autoconvert to bitcoin" function tell me how much they earn (in btc) on average per week per kHash?

From my initial estimations its about fourteen times more bitcoin than same hash power mining bitcoin.

Specifically I have 2.3 Gh/s asics vs r9 290 1 Mh/s scrypt.

My asics are mine about 0.00035 per day and the scrypt makes 0.005 btc in 12 hrs - if only I could move the asics to mine the scrypt there!

Rudimentary numbers - just rough estimates.

I also haven't tried mining bitcoin with the r9 yet.

furball

Activity: 172

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:43:14 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 08:55:31 AM by furball

Loving this pool so far, but this morning I seem to be getting a lot of rejects. Is it just me, or anybody else seeing the same thing?

EDIT : Looks fine again now.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:40:49 AM

Loving this pool so far, but this morning I seem to be getting a lot of rejects. Is it just me, or anybody else seeing the same thing?

I'm seeing a period of 2 hours, shifts ending at 4am and 5am respectively, where I got half my normal hashes in.  I wasn't watching at the time, so I don't know what happened.  However I checked my backup pools, and they all have unconfirmed activity, which means my miners switched to the backups during those periods.

M

JKBtCn

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

I'm seeing a period of 2 hours, shifts ending at 4am and 5am respectively, where I got half my normal hashes in.  I wasn't watching at the time, so I don't know what happened.  However I checked my backup pools, and they all have unconfirmed activity, which means my miners switched to the backups during those periods.
M

Same here..my failover had shares from around that same time period. Hmmm, Scryptguild didn't report this inactivity?

Edit: just checked their news:

Backend Update - Brief Period of High Stales

09:30 UTC: A major update was made to the pool backend this morning. This change completely rewrote how the pool handles block interaction, and moved most of the profit switching code into the pool itself, rather than an external script processing information.

In pushing this update live, there were a few bugs resulting in significant stale share submissions. This problem has been fixed, but may have severely affected your stale share percentage if you haven't been mining for a long time. It is recommended that you use the 'Reset Stats' feature to get an accurate representation of stale vs valid shares going forward.

This recent change to the profit switching engine should drastically increase overall pool performance when dealing with blocks that have random rewards. The previous update from yesterday definitely improved our profit, but had some quirks in how many work updates were being pushed to miners. The new system should remove the excess work push submissions.

February 27, 2014

NXT-XFAH-7N9C-6AS6-B3GLZ                BTC: 1MMzqYNNqQMMhY524Z9ThuQrRQW2whCmGk
NHZ: 8709719431783299770                 QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | Qi24ssRqmEo3Wepv9pgdmqNuTDKQByiEfd
lajz99

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:19:17 AM

I'm curious to see the difference in profitability vs other similar pools, has anyone done any testing?

Site looks AWESOME compared to others so I hope the profitability is at least comparable.

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:54:08 PM

I'm curious to see the difference in profitability vs other similar pools, has anyone done any testing?

Site looks AWESOME compared to others so I hope the profitability is at least comparable.

I don't know how you could do a fair comparison.  I do know my GPUs aren't constantly slowing down and speeding up as the pool switches coins.  It's also very stable, not triggering "pool is not responding" messages every hour or so, unlike another pool that I won't name here.

M

jhood2880

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:11:52 PM

Eleuthria.. Is it safe to assume you are the owner of scryptguild? If so i have a recommendation. I think that while at the dashboard you should integrate to the right of your shares it should show either the current market value of the amount of shares you have or the current value of the coin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: