May 04, 2024, 09:15:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Transferring 25k into Gox to buy at current prices
Worth the risk - 66 (25.3%)
Incomprehensibly idiotic - 83 (31.8%)
Send me your money instead - 47 (18%)
Do it but wait two weeks for $100 BTC - 12 (4.6%)
DO IT NOW!!! - 53 (20.3%)
Total Voters: 261

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring 25k into Gox to buy at current prices  (Read 6027 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:43:56 PM

$300 BTC is mighty appealing............................................ hmmmmmmm

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:50:19 PM

$300 BTC is mighty appealing............................................ hmmmmmmm

Just today a friend of mine who's not into bitcoin saw a graph with the Gox price  and decided to get involved.
His first question was what is the quickest way to get money into MtGox and which currency should he use on MtGox.

Of course I told him to stay away from MtGox.

But if you think you know what you're doing, then suit yourself.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
D05GTO

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:01:30 PM

Uggg, it's the roach motel of exchanges.  Your money checks in but nothing checks out. LOL

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:08:43 PM

I think it's fine to do this with a small percentage of your total investment in btc. Think of gox IOUs as a stock in the virtual currency space. You wouldn't go all in on just gox IOUs right?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:10:18 PM

All signs point to gox being incompetent or fraudulent. Or both. Not a good place to have your money.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:13:20 PM

I would rather open an account with either AvaTrade or Plus500 and go long on the GoxBTC/GoxUSD currency pair. There is a good chance that this trade can be profitable, and one can then get the USD out and trade then for BTC at market through an exchange that is working.

This should be considered a very high risk speculative investment when compared to simply holding BTC. There is an even much higher risk in my opinion with depositing either USD or BTC into MTGox, at this time, with a potentially a much lower return.

Edit: This trade idea will not work for US persons.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:31:16 PM

I say worth the risk. If Gox comes back then we will see $900 on gox minutes/hrs later.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:32:18 PM

also hire a hitman, just in case Wink

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:33:31 PM

Your greed might be not good in that gox case.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:37:00 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 12:46:45 AM by ArticMine

I say worth the risk. If Gox comes back then we will see $900 on gox minutes/hrs later.

Yes but the USD are then trapped in MTGox, which is why I suggested the CFD route.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
wbaw

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:48:54 PM

All signs point to gox being incompetent or fraudulent. Or both. Not a good place to have your money.

Not insolvent though. Seems like a good place to make a quick buck if you can get some money in there before the price corrects. Obviously you'd withdraw your BTC as soon as they allow it.

fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:00:01 AM

But what are you going to do if BTC on Bitstamp crashes below 200$ before your money arrives and Gox is still above 300$???

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:02:31 AM

Not insolvent though. Seems like a good place to make a quick buck if you can get some money in there before the price corrects. Obviously you'd withdraw your BTC as soon as they allow it.
Why wouldn't they be? That might be the very reason they are not letting people get their money. Not that their solvency means anything until that changes.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:16:36 AM

I would say no, but there could be a reasonable exception if you have contacts in Japan and are familiar with their liquidation practices.  They are going to have some bitcoin whatever happens.  The trick would be to make sure you are first in line to get some should they fail.
yannis7777

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:19:51 AM

Incomprehensibly idiotic so please send me your money instead brother. At least there is a good chance it will be used towards a good cause.

DOGE: DDsZd5Ekyz95ndodQZpChpspR2PstTdNQY
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:24:08 AM

You did not have enough options on the poll for me to pick from.

If you had the option "already a millionaire so 25K really is not that big of a risk" I would say go ahead and give it a try.

Otherwise it seems like a pretty risky move.  It is all about putting faith in Mt. Gox.  Putting faith in Bitcoin is already a bit risky it seems so that just adds another layer of risk on top. 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:32:12 AM

Perhaps you could buy then immediately begin legal proceedings for the recovery of your property.
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:53:10 AM

Go for it, whatchawaitingfor? Knock yourself out, literally!

DieJohnny, very apt name.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 02:07:21 AM

I would rather open an account with either AvaTrade or Plus500 and go long on the GoxBTC/GoxUSD currency pair. There is a good chance that this trade can be profitable, and one can then get the USD out and trade then for BTC at market through an exchange that is working.

First of all, kudos to you for understanding counterparty risk.

However, I don't think this will work.  I checked out both AvaTrade and Plus500 and they close all bitcoin positions monthly, on the same day of the month for all accounts, which almost certainly means that they are putting in a wire transfer request to gox once a month.  If that wire doesn't come back and not enough customers show up in the first week-or-so of next month to offset, they will proceed to screw the previous month's customers for the balance, appealing to force majeure.  I'm pretty sure their risk management strategy here is to pipeline the whole thing and then drag their feet on withdrawals if the pipeline dries up while gox is in no-wire-transfer mode.

It's the Lloyd's reinsurance-to-close scam, writ small.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:13:17 AM

This poll is a joke, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: