Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:11:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you keep your coins physically secure?  (Read 1393 times)
Radio-Active

Activity: 523
Merit: 10

YOUC - https://www.youengine.io/

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:23:06 PM

We're all aware of the risks of keeping our coins on online wallets and exchange wallets, but many of us still keep our coins on our own devices.

Are we keeping our devices secure? Its instinctual to not leave your fiat money wallet unattended in a public place but what about your bitcoin wallet? Are you leaving leaving the laptop you're writing your novel on the table at Starbucks when you go the bathroom? The laptop with your electrum wallet, your life savings.

Where does the line between paranoia and reasonable physical security meet?

Actually some of us think storing your coins in the exchange wallet is more safe than the personal wallet because the security of exchange wallet is very good. Few months ago when some exchange got hacked, it made me think there is no safe place to store our coins. Maybe we should consider to use hard wallet.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Emilyp

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:28:21 PM

I take the security of my cryptocurrencies seriously. Before now I don't use to have password on my devices but since I vested into crypto, all my devices have secure log in. And I'm conscience of where I take them to and who I allow access to them.
Bara420

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 02:42:04 PM

In the case of security I never want to compromise and thats why I always choose the best wallet and I think hardware wallets are very secured.
Pump N Dead

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:46:34 PM

I keep almost all my Bitcoin and altcoin in my Hardware Wallet (Ledger Nano S). I only keep some of my Bitcoin in an online wallet in case U need to buy altcoin in trading platform or when I need to cash it to fiat.
Renegadegate

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:51:48 PM

Yes, of course. But I'm really surprised at how many people do not take their security seriously enough and then start complaining about lost coins...
I understand that there is only one more or less serious security measure - to keep your coins in a cold wallet. Some people believe in the power of their online wallets, but I think they will have to face it sooner or later - cold wallet is the only way you are supposed to keep your assets if you don't want to lose them
Tides_Network (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 06:54:41 PM

Is it okey to use laptops where your wallet inside on it. Just make sure to have copy of important details in some gadget which never bring outsidr at the house. Online wallet is secure like myetherwallet, everything is on our care and resposibility. What ever happen is to be blame for the owner not the creator

Well actually myetherwallet is not an online wallet, it simply provides an interface through the browser!

ICO-free decentralized health insurance project
https://t.me/tidesnetwork
https://www.Tides.Network
zarintasnim

Activity: 1162
Merit: 250

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 07:35:11 PM

I am keep my wallet safe from hackers. Other wise i am lost my all coin. I am write my password and private key in my not book. If my laptop will hack although my wallet will safe.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
Zre

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 07:45:24 PM

Now all the security problems. As the value of bitcoin increases, thieves will pay more attention, but the best and safest option for storing your crypto conversions is to store it on a hardware purse. I prefer Tresor's purse. We must all be cautious and careful.
Sentinel211

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:26:34 AM

In fact, the line between paranoia and reasonable physical security is the amount of crypto assets you have. If it's immaterial, you can sleep well and never care about online vs offline security because you don't lose much, anyway. However, if you possess a significant amount of crypto, some of which you use for trading while some is just stored somewhere, you might want to make sure you don't lose it all at once, in which case use your cold storage only! No other storage is safe enough.
My choice - paper wallets and hardware wallets.
Ratmanrr

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 09:05:27 AM

Sure. This is the first thing I learned when I got interested in crypto. The second was that if I wanted to do trading, I had to make sure I don't spend all my money on trading because of the high risks and keep all my assets in an online wallet, which I'm still committed to: a cold wallet has been a must for me since then Cool
IndependentWild87

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:15:07 AM

Of course we need to keep our coin in a very secured zone because there are a lot of groups are just waiting and trying to hack out crypto and if they get any scope then they will snatch everything.
cxmyifan16

Activity: 377

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:26:35 AM

I do my best to make them secure and I always learn more about all new ways to protect the coins the best way. To my mind, it is better to keep coins physically secure using not online but hard wallets

Gururapyco

Activity: 67

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:33:49 AM

I hold my coins on my desktop wallet. If I'm the only person that knows the password, no one will be able to move those coins even if the laptop and wallet are on and available to everyone. But it's more reasonable to keep your coins on devices like Ledger Nano S if possible.
Indamuck

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:36:26 AM

You can have the best security in the world but you are always at risk of a $5 wrench attack.  For those that don't know this is just a term for a physical attack by someone to get what they want.  How many of us wouldn't give up our crypto over threat of death of ourselves or a family member.  This is why you should be secretive about your personal life if you are holding a large amount of crypto.
maloibtc

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:36:44 AM

I can say that coins can be physically secured only if you keep them in the hard wallet. To my mind, it is better to use the protection with the guarantee that it will be able to help you any time
Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1059

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:03:26 PM

You can have the best security in the world but you are always at risk of a $5 wrench attack.  For those that don't know this is just a term for a physical attack by someone to get what they want.  How many of us wouldn't give up our crypto over threat of death of ourselves or a family member.  This is why you should be secretive about your personal life if you are holding a large amount of crypto.
I just can't imagine how would I be in such scenario where someone is holding a 5$ wrench, and threatening to kill me if I don't give them my keys. It's pretty much the same as when someone's pointing a knife at you so you'd give them your money. When you're holding a large amount of crypto, you have to be very lowkey about it and very secure as well.

If you have money, be silent about it. If you have a lot of money, be absolutely silent about it. The world doesn't have to know about your wealth. The number of people knowing how much money you currently have doesn't increase your bank balance.

Now that you have a large amount of crypto, you might as well want to move in a different neighborhood where you're sure that people aren't psychopaths, thieves, etc. But if you're the only one who knows that you indeed have a lot of money, the best idea is to not move out. Stay where you are living before because if you move out people will ask where did you get the money.

On that note, here's a good meme for the $5 wrench attack from Steemit, a post by @jamesjones: Protect Yourself Against $5 Wrench Attacks

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Syarief28

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:07:33 PM

for a moment, be careful, especially now that hackers are watching us all from a distance and now everyone is in security. When the value of bitcoin is greatly increased, thieves will pay more attention. All of us and we must be careful in keeping our coin coins
Scratchcatch

Activity: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

Sure. Who wouldn't?
But I've never thought about a potential $5-wrench attack. Thanks for pointing out!

Thus, my physical security includes:
✓cold wallets
✓paper wallets
✓silence  Cool
davhek

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 07:18:39 PM

Absolutely yes. Most of the crypto assets are securely stored on a cold wallet. Only a certain amount that I trade with is online.

Subwooferred

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 08:00:55 PM

Only a cold wallet. I don't trust the online wallets or exchanges to keep all the coins there.
Stay safe!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: