Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:55:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you keep your coins physically secure?  (Read 1393 times)
Tides_Network (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2018, 08:27:20 PM

Only a cold wallet. I don't trust the online wallets or exchanges to keep all the coins there.
Stay safe!

Only one cold wallet or two? You should have your private key saved in at least two secure places.

ICO-free decentralized health insurance project
https://t.me/tidesnetwork
https://www.Tides.Network
Tides_Network (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 04:56:08 PM

Absolutely yes. Most of the crypto assets are securely stored on a cold wallet. Only a certain amount that I trade with is online.

The cold wallet/hot wallet dichotomy has been a mainstay for nearly a decade and its still very prudent!

StrongImagine301

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 06:11:36 PM

Of course I do this because the hackers are getting strong day by day so we also need to be conscious about our security and also we should become conscious about choosing wallets.
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:01:58 PM

You can have the best security in the world but you are always at risk of a $5 wrench attack.  For those that don't know this is just a term for a physical attack by someone to get what they want.  How many of us wouldn't give up our crypto over threat of death of ourselves or a family member.  This is why you should be secretive about your personal life if you are holding a large amount of crypto.

I concur. It's best to stay silent and never disclose how much crypto you own for the sake of your life and money. Also, you should do your best to keep your private key away from the hands of hackers as much as possible. Even in a physical scenario where someone would force you to give him/her your private key, you would simply hand in a decoy wallet with a small amount of coins for safety. Your real crypto balances would be stored in a cold storage medium (like a paper wallet) with an encrypted private key and hidden in a safe place away from prying eyes.

If it were me, I'd simply write down the public and private keys into a very small piece of paper, and then hide it behind something that no one would notice. If you do this, then it's practically impossible to lose access to your funds (unless you forget where you hid your piece of paper). Therefore, it all depends on what methods a specific person uses to help protect his/her hard-earned cryptocurrency funds. Smiley

Dondisimo

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 08:29:04 PM

All my crypto currency savings are stored on an offline wallet that looks like a flash drive. And this device is permanently stored at my home. It seems perfectly safe to me.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
nCent

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:08:56 PM

it's a must imo, you need to stay safe in this market.
Naughty Princess

Activity: 952
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:22:49 PM

I am keep my wallet safe from hackers. Other wise i am lost my all coin. I am write my password and private key in my not book. If my laptop will hack although my wallet will safe.
It is depend on us how we gonna save out own keys. Sometimes, we share our private keys to other without being notice. Be careful not to lost your notebook and do not tell any one that you used it for that. They will be curious and wanting to get it from you. Even you are safe to hack over the network, it is more easy to get it from you of the person you know.

OSEIBOATENG

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 09:32:49 PM

I have my wallets backed up on my hard drives and also on my perceives and I really keep them safe so that people cannot get access to it. I really protect my wallets physically.
Gankstard

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 09:59:20 PM

I personally make backups of all my wallets on multiple USB devices. To be honest i think this is enough. Just need to make sure your passwords are secure enough to protect yourself from an easy bruteforce attack in case your laptop is stolen or comprimised. Aside from that make sure you always run a good antivirus and stay away from phishy websites and your good.
DaWidyaa

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 10:26:03 PM

In my opinion, physical security is one of the additional security for your wallet, but if your physical wallet is just put on it is the same as lying, you also have to take care of it, you must be responsible for the security of the wallet.
Wish 107.5

Activity: 420
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 10:31:42 PM

I’m physically securing some of my coins in order to prevent of being hacked. Hackers are everywhere, we need to be careful and we should not easily trust.
rmel0924

Activity: 231

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 10:35:08 PM

We're all aware of the risks of keeping our coins on online wallets and exchange wallets, but many of us still keep our coins on our own devices.

Are we keeping our devices secure? Its instinctual to not leave your fiat money wallet unattended in a public place but what about your bitcoin wallet? Are you leaving leaving the laptop you're writing your novel on the table at Starbucks when you go the bathroom? The laptop with your electrum wallet, your life savings.

Where does the line between paranoia and reasonable physical security meet?
I have my personal computer in the house and I save all my wallets their, I have also my copy stored in my usb so that I can have also copy when my wallets are erased in my personal computer. Only me and my kids are using my personal computer and nobody will touch it because there I did store my wallets and some of my personal passwords of my accounts.
Tides_Network (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

I’m physically securing some of my coins in order to prevent of being hacked. Hackers are everywhere, we need to be careful and we should not easily trust.

Keep your cold wallet away from the internet!

StephKram

Activity: 95

Most Advanced Crypto Exchange on the Blockchain

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 03:25:30 AM

I only use a MEW printout from an offline computer and keep the printout in my 8,000lb safe.  I'm in a low traffic area and like the way I have it set up.  I have been thinking about switching to the nano s but not sold on it yet.

CRYPTOCIRCLEX | THE MOST ADVANCED CRYPTO EXCHANGE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN
✪╠════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣✪
mob01

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 03:41:54 AM

I use hardwallet I just used it to store my coin securely I don't always carry it around. I think that would be enough for me to be ensure that is secure.
Nexjr14

Activity: 216

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 04:42:05 AM

If seen physically, I will say it's safe. But we also have to be more careful in storing personal files such as private keys and others. Because I think hackers are smarter than we think, so we must be careful when we are online.
Spain2000

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 04:54:00 AM

All crypto has a virtual nature we can not hold it physically at home or somewhere other than online wallet and it is virtual currency so there availability and using through Internet is possible while many of the people are making high transaction without fear.

▐ █ ██|    CRYPTONITY  ▐|   The Crypto Community Exchange  ▐|▐ █ █ ██
⚫  Whitepaper   ●⚫   Public Sale 1 Starts: Nov 1, 2018   ⚫●   ANN Thread  ⚫
Telegram  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Discord  ●  Reddit  ●  Medium  ●  LinkedIn
Gaurav11kb

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 05:03:58 AM

All my coins are on online wallets, not on exchanges. I don't connect with any public wifi. I have 2 phones with internet and one internet dongle, so that I am never out of internet for any reason like network problem. I keep my private keys and 2fa backed up and encrypted and I think its enough.
Tides_Network (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2018, 06:03:28 AM

All my coins are on online wallets, not on exchanges. I don't connect with any public wifi. I have 2 phones with internet and one internet dongle, so that I am never out of internet for any reason like network problem. I keep my private keys and 2fa backed up and encrypted and I think its enough.

Even if you trust your online wallets, do you trust their third party services? Even blockchain.info had their DNS redirected at one point to a malicious party.

ExhibitGap25

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 06:12:54 AM

Yes, and I always prefer best wallets in this purpose and I also suggest every one that if they want proper security of their crypro then they must choose hardware wallets because it is little expensive but very much safe.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: