Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment?  (Read 2621 times)
wicaksono

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:57:34 PM

I can not do it, because it's true that Bitcoin is a pretty promising Investment even though now its price has decreased. I think Bitcoin is a form of one investment that gives you an advantage if it is in a heap and not on sale until you really need the money .. actually that's what I do
rukawa101

Activity: 93
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:59:26 PM

Yes nowadays it become more investment  rather than Currency but it can be both for me nothing wrong with these two option you make
Indrawan77

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:12:21 PM

Unfortunately bitcoin is more popular as investment although bitcoin was never created as investment, most of the people are interested in bitcoin because it can give them profit they rarely see bitcoin as a currency and I don't really agree to see buying crypto as a gambling, we got data and chart and everything to help us determine the market value, so buying and holding crypto is called speculating
Al-e_x

Activity: 560
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:17:38 PM

I see that the bitcoin function is not just for trading, bitcoins have volume, supply, and value. it's like any other currency.

USD is not a place to trade, but it is more suitable to be an investment place, because of its slow fluctuations.

but, bitcoin is perfect, investment, trading, and used for transaction. crowdfunding investment has a small risk, but I doubt it and the result is small.
cassius66

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:30:52 PM

Every currency can be investment, even cryptocurrency, there is nothing wrong with that. Its definetely not something what hurts crypto.
Eclipse26

Activity: 658
Merit: 268

bullsvsbears.io

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:34:20 PM

Well as we all know that bitcoin is an investment and we can't imagine that we can stop calling it as an investment. We all know that bitcoin is one of the best investing as of now because of the price that fast to change compare to others that we need to study it first. Bitcoin is the best of the crypto world in term of investment.
Yes and is calling bitcoin as an investment affect different things? Not right? Because its just a named to it. And you cant stop people doing that because as they experience and getting profit from it. We all know that you also knew what bitcoin can give to you once you invest here.

wall101

Activity: 560
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Doesn't matter for me actually i used it for investment and currency as well it's up to the person what he wants to do with his coin or what he calls it
gidaahmad

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:41:04 PM

To enter the world of crypto and start trading, we need capital. Therefore, we can call it an investment because there is initial capital in it. And please do not equate Bitcoin with gambling. Of course very different.
brylle34

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 12:00:51 AM

I agree with you, i don't like those KYC blah blah blah because it's ruining our privacy the main problem is that people can do some identity theft, but we can't change the fact that a lot of people look bitcoin as an investment
larkinvain

Activity: 1120
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 12:41:10 AM

I did not think about this ever, now by reading your threads my mind just changed! Is bitcoin really an investment system? No, it is not, rather investment system is killing bitcoin that's why governments want to bitcoin in their control. Day by day bitcoin is changing by big hands, they are manipulating us and we keep calling the moon, very soon blah blah.
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 01:06:45 AM

Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment?

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

You're not even investing, you are just gambling with money.
Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

Why don't we see cryptographers anymore? Guess the reasons

Oh how i feel your sentiments LeGaulois!

It is indeed heartbreaking to see the cause lost.  A lot has been misdirected and misled to believe that bitcoin was primarily created for investment.

The historical truth as you narrated them is an absolute fact which i would really love to know too how has been satoshi reacting to now that people have found another way to utilize bitcoin.

There's a lot of anger that i sense on your post (if not frustrations). But come to think of it, though the majority of people use and deem bitcoin as an investment, there are still people out there (including myself) who freely use bitcoin to make payments and make online purchases too. With no conversion to fiat money at all, i pay bills online using my bitcoin wallet and even send funds using the same.

Though the bitcoin road has been tainted and vandalized from what it was originally designed for, the cause is not totally lost. There are still average crypto enthusiast out there who understood that bitcoin was meant to be spent and not invested on.

May the force be with us!
metenjean

Activity: 854
Merit: 140

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 04:22:43 AM

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
Yes bitcoin wasn't made for investment in the first time as it meant to used as alternate currencies, however because of its decentralized and not connected to government then it makes anybody with huge sums of money can manipulate the price and thats what happens when the price started to hike while in reality the implementation of bitcoin for mass purpose payment hasn't become practical and i think thats another reasons why the government try to implement regulations. Democracy is good but without any rules then there will be no safezone for anyone as the people on top will always eat the newcomer
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 04:35:05 AM

no we can not because it is inevitable that bitcoin becomes an investment. it is a scarce currency with a lot of potential of rising up, it is unique in the whole world and it is growing day by day. all that price rise will bring people who would want it as an investment. it doesn't have to be a bad thing either as long as we don't lose sight of what bitcoin really is which is a currency.
not to mention that every other currency in the world is being traded or invested in too. that is how the Forex market works.

Only Bitcoin
r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 04:52:28 AM

It's true that bitcoin was created by Satoshi as a currency and not as an investment.But the secured nature of bitcoin that it could not be hacked and it being totally out of the reach of governments hands and it's unchangeable limited supply has made people to consider it as a high ROI giving asset and they have started to recognise it as an asset.It has become a safe haven for investors who would want to get rich quickly.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin.....ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..
█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.Telegram....
iotarocket

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 04:55:18 AM

I disagree. Bitcoin is an investment because it has matured as a cryptocurrency, and investors see that given its built-in scarcity it is undervalued compared to other currencies and assets. The focus on it by investors and regulators is a natural part of its evolution to becoming mainstream.
Vickyrichy

Activity: 209
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 05:24:17 AM

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

You have said everything. Bitcoin is definitely not an investment medium. Most of people who see bitcoin as an investment medium and have invested in it are respond for sharing bad information about bitcoin saying its volatile and its bubble due to their loses made as they invested in bitcoin. Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency.
forestharvest
Copper Member

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 05:32:54 AM

I will take forex as an example, even different countries currency which is backed by the government is able to be use as an investment why do you think crypto cannot be label as an investment. Crypto can be use as a new payment method and not investment instrument but we cannot totally say crypto is not an investment.
Ayomiqueen
Copper Member

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 05:58:52 AM

Your topic has no basement, I disagree with you totally because you have not given any point what Bitcoin is for if it's not investment and store value , if something doesn't have stable value and can change from today price to another at any time and increasing it value as more adoption come then what is that called, the merchant that collect the Bitcoin knows the value and can hold or also dispose at high price but saying why would merchant what to take from someone investment really show you don't know that once there is exchange of Bitcoin to a product the the ownership is swap also and for him to accept the Bitcoin then there is mutual agreement which is part why Bitcoin gain it value.

bp.comp69

Activity: 180
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 06:01:54 AM

of course not, the name bitcoin is already attached with the name of the investment

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 07:10:02 AM

Important to understand;

If Bitcoin was ever used as money on a large scale, governments would have done everything to ban the crap out of it years ago already.

The only reason we don't see governments try to stop it (discarding the few that do) is because people see it as an investment, store of value, digital Gold, etc. It means that governments don't see it as a threat to their fiat currencies, and I think we should keep it like that, at least for now. In other words, be thankful that people don't use it as often as money as you would have liked it to be used. It allows Bitcoin to keep growing and I prefer it to be like this.

Fiat only has value because we use it every day. If we ignore fiat, it's pretty much worthless and in the same way the government basically is nearly as worthless.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: