Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:53:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Power Supply Analysis  (Read 23155 times)
JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:09:14 AM

I wondered why he didn't just use Newegg  Roll Eyes

Didn't mean to skip over this post.  Yeah Newegg should definitely be included.

Not in reply to Unacceptable specifically (I'm guessing he/she knows about it), but for anyone else reading this, if you're not using a price comparison extension of some kind, find one and use it.  

I recommend Hover Hound to get you started.  It's available for both Firefox and Chrome and gives real-time pricing comparison and pricing history over time from a number of different retailers.

A search for a specific piece of hardware over at Slickdeals.net is also useful for gathering pricing over time.

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:31:51 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 11:56:13 AM by JLebowskiTheDude

Updated the table with meaningful High/Low/Average pricing data.

Added a Key and adjusted the formatting to increase readability.

If anyone has any additional suggestions on power supplies to be added to the list that they've tested and confirmed, please feel free to post them here or PM them.  I can add them to the table I created.  I have a very good pulse on pricing data and I'll be updating that far more regularly than the OP likely will with more meaningful pricing data than the OP captures at the moment.

From that post it should be easy for dogie to add any data there into his main table in whatever manner he sees fit if/when he can.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:36:53 PM

Brand   SeriesCapacity
(Manual)

Peak
(W)

12V
Rail (A)
No.
Rails
PCI-E
Plugs

Modular
Cables?

Noise @
100% (dbA)
Eff. @ 100%
230V (%)
Warranty
(years)
Dogie's
Rating
Buy here
850W935W70A14No39.285.0577.5$95.00

Most of the incorrect Corsair links have been corrected.  Thank you.

The TX850 above however is stll incorrectly linked to the TX850M.

Also, again since it's still in the list, I highly recommend removing the SS-760XP2.  Or at least adding a caveat.

I have the supply, in fact it's running the machine I am typing this out on, but it DOES NOT WORK with Cubes.  

Jeffrey

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Hi Dogie, you might want to consider reviewing beQuiet PSU's.
They're pretty populair (at least in EU), availability is good, price/quality is good and they have a big assortment PSU's (80plus bronze/silver/gold/plat in a wide range of wattage)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 01:36:22 PM

Laptop crashed while typing a reply on every point so going to tldr. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

The list isn't exhaustive, things will keep being added to it. The dell one will go on the list when I work out how I want to format two links being required. Also you can't get them from a reliable source, new, for $10.

I was referring to links that don't get updated, they become misinformed and misrepresentations. For example if links are posted outside of the OP, in 4 months they STILL read "x power supply for $y", even though that psu could be 5x more, 5x less, not sold at that site, at all or recalled due to being dangerous. The OP will be updated so doesn't suffer from that problem.

Spot pricing is required as that's what people buy at. Average pricing just guarantees that the price is going to be wrong at every point a purchase is made. It will be closeish, but it will be wrong. A spot price is guaranteed to be right, potentially for the whole period before another update is done. Again, people buy from spot prices not trend data.

Will update the link when home.

Still working on a way to confirm cube compatibility. Its a niche product, and all of these PSUs will work for the other 95% of ASIC hardware. I don't think it would be appropriate to kill a PSU off the list entirely due to overload protection. That should be an additional feature/criteria, not a requirement.

Do remember that each additional piece of variable data you add, increases the time taken to update the list. Ie we only have about 40 PSUs at the moment. If that ends up at 100, thats 2.5x as long.

Then if you add average and hi low pricing, as well as 2 store links, thats a further 5x information that requires updating. There becomes a point where its not viable to run with so much variable data because people will buy or not regardless of $5 variations of what we've listed the price at.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:24:00 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 02:50:32 PM by JLebowskiTheDude

I was referring to links that don't get updated, they become misinformed and misrepresentations. For example if links are posted outside of the OP, in 4 months they STILL read "x power supply for $y", even though that psu could be 5x more, 5x less, not sold at that site, at all or recalled due to being dangerous. The OP will be updated so doesn't suffer from that problem.

That's an assumption you've made.  That my post won't be updated.

So far, it is.  Let's keep the assumptions to a minimum.

At this point it's more updated than the OP is.  The CX430 is on sale for half what you have listed in the OP.

That's a 67% difference if I am doing the MATHS right.

A spot price is guaranteed to be right, potentially for the whole period before another update is done. Again, people buy from spot prices not trend data.

By your own admission, Amazon pricing can be very volatile.

Case in point?  Of the 67 supplies listed in the OP as of this moment, 37 of the prices are incorrect.  Some are grossly incorrect.

What's more is it's tapping into a single source of data for pricing.  

So... guaranteed to be right?  Guaranteed?  No.  I'll disagree there.  Sorry.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say spot pricing is guaranteed and then say Amazon is too volatile for you to keep up to date accurate pricing information.

Educated buyers - which I hope we all are or hope to become - shop for things before buying.  

They compare prices.

They want to know how things were priced recently.  Am I getting a good deal here?  Oh, the average is $40, and the low was $25.  So at $30 I'm in the "Good Buy" range.  At worst, your OP should link to CamelCamelCamel so that people could see that data for themselves, even if you won't provide it outright.

What's worse is you ARE BASING YOUR SCORE off this incorrect data.  And then people are making decisions from that.

Do remember that each additional piece of variable data you add, increases the time taken to update the list. Ie we only have about 40 PSUs at the moment. If that ends up at 100, thats 2.5x as long.

Then if you add average and hi low pricing, as well as 2 store links, thats a further 5x information that requires updating. There becomes a point where its not viable to run with so much variable data because people will buy or not regardless of $5 variations of what we've listed the price at.

You're working harder.  Not smarter.  And we're talking significant differences between the prices you're linking to and what the average street price AND sales price is.

I've already started throwing some of this data into spreadsheet that spits back forum bb code in one copy/paste.  It has the ability to capture multiple pricing points and create some metrics off that.

A db aggregating more data would be the next logical stop.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 07:05:23 PM

Guaranteed to be right at one point in time.

You're taking this all way, way, way too seriously.

Its not about calculating average prices lol, its about updating 6 different values and 2+ links in the table, per line, per update cycle. its not viable.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:43:38 PM

You're taking this all way, way, way too seriously.

Its not about calculating average prices lol, its about updating 6 different values and 2+ links in the table, per line, per update cycle. its not viable.

It's about prices which are one of the fundamental factors in computing a "score" that a lot of users - especially those who don't know - will view as not only a scalar value but as an ACCURATE scalar value.

If the price of a model changes by a significant value, it doesn't affect your computed score?

I'm beginning to think you don't quite understand here.   Cry

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:07:29 PM

Your doing a fantastic job Dogie!!!

Just an average price should be good,we still have to go to our favorite retailer to see if it's in stock or on sale anyhow  Roll Eyes 

My fav is Newegg,they ship faster & have free shipping more often & IF I have to return (within 30 days for any reason) I call em & have them look at my $50,000+ purchase history over the last 12 years & they email me a free return label,heck I even get items shipped BEFORE I return the defective item......sometimes  Cheesy

I used to build high end gamer PC's & ship all over the US & Alaska even Smiley  Since PC gameing is in a dive,not so much anymore  Sad

Amazon is ok,but that "return" feature I enjoy with Newegg is not there,in most cases for me at least  Sad

Still would like to see the amount of PCIE cables per PSU,but I understand that that info is difficult to find,believe me,it took awhile for ME to find it  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:20:45 PM

Just an average price should be good

Yeah.  That's exactly my point.

Average Price != Spot Price

Average Price = Average Price

My fav is Newegg,they ship faster & have free shipping more often & IF I have to return (within 30 days for any reason) I call em & have them look at my $50,000+ purchase history over the last 12 years & they email me a free return label,heck I even get items shipped BEFORE I return the defective item......sometimes  Cheesy

Same.

For those who don't purchase quite so much, or hell even if you do like myself and Unacceptable, get a ShopRunner account.

It's free if you have most types of American Express cards.  Free 2nd Day Air shipping and free returns.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:53:31 PM

Just an average price should be good

Yeah.  That's exactly my point.

Average Price != Spot Price

Average Price = Average Price

My fav is Newegg,they ship faster & have free shipping more often & IF I have to return (within 30 days for any reason) I call em & have them look at my $50,000+ purchase history over the last 12 years & they email me a free return label,heck I even get items shipped BEFORE I return the defective item......sometimes  Cheesy

Same.

For those who don't purchase quite so much, or hell even if you do like myself and Unacceptable, get a ShopRunner account.

It's free if you have most types of American Express cards.  Free 2nd Day Air shipping and free returns.

I don't do "credit" cards nor do I have a bank account  Cheesy  I pay now.........& don't give a crap to get with the "credit/debt" mindset !!!!!!

My Paypal is all I have to purchase with or cash or BTC!!!!!   Grin  I don't even want to do bank wires  Tongue

I'm in "revolt" mode & will not get be using any banks for as long as I can help it  Tongue  At least here in the US  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 11:00:09 PM

I don't do "credit" cards nor do I have a bank account  Cheesy  I pay now.........& don't give a crap to get with the "credit/debt" mindset !!!!!!

My Paypal is all I have to purchase with or cash or BTC!!!!!   Grin  I don't even want to do bank wires  Tongue

I'm in "revolt" mode & will not get be using any banks for as long as I can help it  Tongue  At least here in the US  Grin

AA > CC. Free money for.... well... spending money. Get one if you can get the credit then use it whenever you possibly can.

p.s. I'll sort the pricing out this weekend, Friday night is currently booked up with other work.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:57:29 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 01:33:47 AM by JLebowskiTheDude

My Paypal is all I have to purchase with or cash or BTC!!!!!   Grin  I don't even want to do bank wires  Tongue

You're missing out financially then, my friend.   I don't carry any balances (no interest charges incurred) and gets $1,000;s of credit card rewards each year.

Not to mention there are constant offers in my mailbox for cards with interest free periods on purchases.  Meaning I can make purchases, invest the cost of the purchases during the interest free period, get the cash or program rewards for those purchases, get the interest earned by investing the purchases' cost, and pay the bill in full at the end of the interest free period.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:58:35 PM

AA > CC. Free money for.... well... spending money. Get one if you can get the credit then use it whenever you possibly can.

Exactly.  Free money for basically nothing.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:08:14 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 11:39:43 PM by JLebowskiTheDude

Updated pricing.

Pretty decent price drop on the RM550.  

Listed in the OP as $113.07.  On sale at Newegg for $69.99 AR.  Amazon for $79.99 AR.

Not a super great deal, but very decent.

Also a price drop on the CX600.  $37 AR isn't the lowest price it's been, but it's close.  Listed in OP as $66.24.

$19.99 AR CX430 has more value per dollar at the moment, but all three are smaller supplies that may not fit the needs of many.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:51:13 PM

Got my CX600,I can confirm it has 2 separate PCIE cables with 1 6+2pin PCIE connector on each!!!  Grin

Perfect for 1 Antminer  Cool

From Newegg $69 free ship ATM,but the free ship is 4-7 day via DHL  Cry  So I opted for 3 day UPS at $5.99  Roll Eyes   Total= $76  Wink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:30:18 PM

Got my CX600,I can confirm it has 2 separate PCIE cables with 1 6+2pin PCIE connector on each!!!  Grin

Perfect for 1 Antminer  Cool

From Newegg $69 free ship ATM,but the free ship is 4-7 day via DHL  Cry  So I opted for 3 day UPS at $5.99  Roll Eyes   Total= $76  Wink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Actually it's $37 AR and the $12 coupon (EMCPHHB25) as listed in the post above yours and linked in this post since yesterday.

Also, even if you don't go the credit route, you can get a free trial of ShopRunner and usually get it extended almost indefinitely.

ShopRunner = Free 2-day Air shipping from Newegg

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 04:38:25 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 04:48:42 PM by JLebowskiTheDude

Updated pricing.

Added pricing for CX500.  Listed in OP as $49.99.  Actual price via OP link is currently $57.74.

Currently the CX500 is available for $29.99 AR.

Probably one of the most cost effective supplies available at the moment now that the $19.99 AR 430W deal is over.

Deal for the CX600 is still on-going.  $12 off promo ends 3/6.

shaxs

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:49:50 PM

Updated pricing.

Added pricing for CX500.  Listed in OP as $49.99.  Actual price via OP link is currently $57.74.

Currently the CX500 is available for $29.99 AR.

Probably one of the most cost effective supplies available at the moment now that the $19.99 AR 430W deal is over.

Deal for the CX600 is still on-going.  $12 off promo ends 3/6.

Will that CX500 power one OC'ed Antminer?
JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:03:21 PM

Will that CX500 power one OC'ed Antminer?

It probably can with some creative wiring but I wouldn't recommend doing so. 

You should be looking at supplies with multiple +12V rails.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: