Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:53:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The True Value of Auroracoin  (Read 21079 times)
Azeh

Activity: 441
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:32:45 AM

Wake up, man. This is just a scamcoin!

Lol...where is the evidence it is a scamcoin?  The dev had an extremely brilliant idea.  Success of the coin depends on the uptake of the coin.  If the dev wanted to steal the coins reserved for the icelandic folk, he would have by now.

I think this blew up much more and much quicker than the dev had initially anticipated. The final outcome is yet to be determined, but this definitely IMHO was not intended to be a scamcoin.

It helps to actually have a differentiated distribution method from the majority of BS altcoins

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eightspaces

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:36:30 AM

Wake up, man. This is just a scamcoin!

wrong
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:38:34 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 08:51:38 AM by Bigeyeone

I got a feeling this is going to be the greatest pump and dump so far, just wait until the 50 % premine hits the exchanges, a lot of people are going to loose an awful lot of money on this one.

and the 50 % pre mine is actually 50 % of all coins that are ever going to be mined so that probably more like 99 % of all coins in existence now.

This coin is really going to make all the other pump and dumps so far look like small potatoes, It just deviously brilliant, even Max keiser can suck on this one.

but hey you guys ought to know by now that speculating on alt coins is high risk, so I'm not going to feel bad for anyone.

Marketcap is currently higher then litecoin  Roll Eyes

ridiculousness   Grin

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
pandaisftw (OP)

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:52:59 AM

all these butthurts make my day! So much whining how it is a scam, bet you wanted to buy when aur was 0.002 and oh shit now is what 30x more? Please tell us how much scam it is.
Panda was dumped after its price went 600% - who would not wanted to make 6x times their investment? Aur is 3000% percent now, so what is this dev waiting for? 5000% ? 10 000%? Please enlighten me when the scam is going to take off, because I never saw a dump coin waiting for thousands of percents.

Whiny little barbies.

In fact you should all buy now: Lets make it interesting

as of 9:31 gmt +1 the price is 0.06BTC/aur

in a week the price will double ,-)

Are you intentionally ignoring the facts - or perhaps, trying to convince others to pump the coin for you? Please quote the 1st post and tell me why the points I outlined do not throw up red flags. If you make good points (ie. it actually does something Bitcoin can't) I may in fact go buy some right now. But all I see is the potential for a truly massive price crash when the airdrop commences.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:05:49 AM

All I see in this thread are a bunch of butt hurt whiny bitches

+1000. The OP and followers have no clue as to what's going on here and the historical implications of this project.

The idea is brilliant.

I am half Icelandic and have lived in Iceland for years at a time. I may or may not be entitled to a quota and haven't bought any, but whatever I don't care because the idea is immensely powerful and certainly justifies the current marketcap.

What people don't realise is 3 things:

[1] - the cryptocurrency concept is an idea who's time has come and will be recognised as such by Icelanders. If there's one phrase they know the meaning of it's "Central Bank Devaluation".

[2] - Iceland is the one country in the world where an idea like this has a practical chance of taking hold. That's because of the unique documentation of their genealogical heritage and it's public nature. A database that is usually only available to closed off sectors of government is in the public domain (at least if you're an Icelander) and thus makes full and equal distribution a practical possibility

[3] - as a game of chess, the creators of Auroracoin have out-smarted the Central Bank of Iceland because the bank's exchange control policies will unwittingly force the coin into circulation by making it difficult to cash out into dollars.

On the other hand, if people cash out into Krona, the coin will stay in Icelandic hands.

Make no mistake, this is going to have some impact - I don't know to what extent, but it will be a major "dent" in the fiat mirage, the fact that a popular currency can be created from nothing and have a tradeable value.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:12:43 AM

Auroracoin is above Litecoin on http://coinmarketcap.com. Right now it looks like Litecoin hoarders spread FUD, coz another coin challenged their precious. More facts plz, words that Iceland govt doesn't support Auroracoin is not enough.
baka

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:32:39 AM

A wise man once said In the end there's always someone holding the bag.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Either the developer or the Icelandic people will dump this coin. Most people in the World consider cryptocoins a bubble or scam (look at the comments section under any Bitcoin article). Under this logic why would they hold? I understand cryptocoins and I would still dump it.
pandaisftw (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:14:58 AM

+1000. The OP and followers have no clue as to what's going on here and the historical implications of this project.

The idea is brilliant.

I am half Icelandic and have lived in Iceland for years at a time. I may or may not be entitled to a quota and haven't bought any, but whatever I don't care because the idea is immensely powerful and certainly justifies the current marketcap.

[1] - the cryptocurrency concept is an idea who's time has come and will be recognised as such by Icelanders. If there's one phrase they know the meaning of it's "Central Bank Devaluation".

[2] - Iceland is the one country in the world where an idea like this has a practical chance of taking hold. That's because of the unique documentation of their genealogical heritage and it's public nature. A database that is usually only available to closed off sectors of government is in the public domain (at least if you're an Icelander) and thus makes full and equal distribution a practical possibility

[3] - as a game of chess, the creators of Auroracoin have out-smarted the Central Bank of Iceland because the bank's exchange control policies will unwittingly force the coin into circulation by making it difficult to cash out into dollars.

On the other hand, if people cash out into Krona, the coin will stay in Icelandic hands.

Make no mistake, this is going to have some impact - I don't know to what extent, but it will be a major "dent" in the fiat mirage, the fact that a popular currency can be created from nothing and have a tradeable value.

1. Right, they know a thing or two about devaluation - what do you think will happen to the 100k coins when 10.5mil coins suddenly become added into circulation?
2. Okay, that is an advantage. But why can't Bitcoin do the same thing for Icelanders? (Besides being illegal to exchange fiat for it? What if Iceland bans Auroracoin?)
3. This is great for Icelanders, but why in the world would anyone else want to put money in? If I understand your point correctly, Icelanders will have no choice but to either A) use the coin (which would require rapid merchant adoption) or B) they dump it for Krona, effectively making all those putting money into the coin now willing donors to the Iceland economy. I'll give the creator that much credit, it's a brilliant idea to pump money from all over the world into the hands of Icelanders.

But as for having "no idea" (and what followers?), I was merely talking about the economics. The fact is that the dev currently holds 99% of the currency, and only 1% is actually representative of the true price. Price is a buy/sell indicator for most people, I'm just concerned for the people who will lose a ton of money when an additional 10.5mil coins suddenly drop into circulation.

Btw, why does everyone keep bringing up different points instead of responding to my original post? I feel like that's a pretty big deal.

mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:11:38 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 11:42:30 AM by mannie

The idea is brilliant.

1. Right, they know a thing or two about devaluation - what do you think will happen to the 100k coins when 10.5mil coins suddenly become added into circulation?
2. Okay, that is an advantage. But why can't Bitcoin do the same thing for Icelanders? (Besides being illegal to exchange fiat for it? What if Iceland bans Auroracoin?)
3. This is great for Icelanders, but why in the world would anyone else want to put money in? If I understand your point correctly, Icelanders will have no choice but to either A) use the coin (which would require rapid merchant adoption) or B) they dump it for Krona, effectively making all those putting money into the coin now willing donors to the Iceland economy. I'll give the creator that much credit, it's a brilliant idea to pump money from all over the world into the hands of Icelanders.

But as for having "no idea" (and what followers?), I was merely talking about the economics. The fact is that the dev currently holds 99% of the currency, and only 1% is actually representative of the true price. Price is a buy/sell indicator for most people, I'm just concerned for the people who will lose a ton of money when an additional 10.5mil coins suddenly drop into circulation.

Btw, why does everyone keep bringing up different points instead of responding to my original post? I feel like that's a pretty big deal.

+1 spot on

More likely dump it for BTC. Maybe Krona after that. Either way they'll dump it.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:16:02 AM

what do you think will happen to the 100k coins when 10.5mil coins suddenly become added into circulation

I don't know.

Okay, that is an advantage. But why can't Bitcoin do the same thing for Icelanders? (Besides being illegal to exchange fiat for it? What if Iceland bans Auroracoin?)

I would have thought that would be obvious - because they'd have to buy Bitcoin but they're going to get Aurora for free. Adoption is worth big money in the cryptocurrency world and no-one has so far come up with such a strategic and well targeted adoption method for any coin. Icelanders are going to benefit financially from facilitating such a widespread adoption IF there's a good takeup. However, that becomes less of an IF everyday that the valuation increases and a virtuous cycle ensues between adoption propensity and coin value.

This is great for Icelanders, but why in the world would anyone else want to put money in

Why does anyone put money into any foreign currency ? Forex markets are huge because you're basically buying into a country's economy without having to live there. Apart from anything else it's going to garner some major publicity if things continue on this path - the kind of publicity that not even Bitcoin has been able to get it's hands on apart from to cite one coin-loss disaster after another.

Icelanders will have no choice but to either A) use the coin (which would require rapid merchant adoption) or B) they dump it for Krona

No. Those are not the only choices. Remember that most money is neither spent nor converted but simply sits in bank accounts or stocks as a store of value. Auroracoin has a fixed supply and is equally distributed to the entire population. That gives it a massive advantage over ISK which has an unlimited supply and is de-valued on a regular basis. So Auroracoin gives people a new option to store their ISK.

When all is said and done, it may well get "dumped" but the significant thing here - and this is something that applies to all crypto's - it will never disappear. Cryptocurrencies are unlevered base money, unlike bank credit money. So this experiment is going to be interesting whatever the outcome of the exchange rate.

***************************** EDIT: *****************************

While I've been writing this, Auroracoin has increased in value to over $40 per coin. That makes the airdrop worth over $1000 per Icelander. What do you think the Government and central bank are going to do about this ? The value of the airdrop is now valued at 15%-20% of Icelandic government annual tax revenue.

This is MAJOR stuff which they can't ignore. On the other hand if they ban it (using a totally un-enforceable ban) they risk making themselves as unpopular as the worst of the bank-crash cartel and another popular uprising. The emperor's clothes are coming under 1000 spotlights just round the corner.

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 11:27:08 AM

Psst... klondike has the same number of total coins as aurora with no premine, already has payment processors, just had a massive block reduction, and is currently valued at one thousandth that of aurora.

Looks like Aurora is going to pop Cheesy

mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:39:40 AM

And what's to stop all these Icelanders exchanging their nascent AUR for the more advanced BTC as soon as they get it for free. BTC is accepted more places after all. People won't have an allegiance to something they didn't build or demand.

If I were given AUR for free it would be, "Thank you. Now to exchange it for BTC before it crashes." Hence crashing it.

It's free money for Icelanders either way. The bag holders will be the people who buy in now before the crash and the Icelanders who don't know how to exchange AUR.
pandaisftw (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:02:05 PM

what do you think will happen to the 100k coins when 10.5mil coins suddenly become added into circulation

I don't know.

Hint: I mentioned it in my first post. I really don't understand why you keep shrugging off this very critical point. The Fed prints money at an rate of 1-2% per year, and people are already complaining about that. (And I'm sure Icelanders understand inflation) Imagine if they printed 100x the total money supply of USD in one year. Yes, that is the kind of devaluation we're looking at.

Okay, that is an advantage. But why can't Bitcoin do the same thing for Icelanders? (Besides being illegal to exchange fiat for it? What if Iceland bans Auroracoin?)

I would have thought that would be obvious - because they'd have to buy Bitcoin but they're going to get Aurora for free. Adoption is worth big money in the cryptocurrency world and no-one has so far come up with such a strategic and well targeted adoption method for any coin. Icelanders are going to benefit financially from facilitating such a widespread adoption IF there's a good takeup. However, that becomes less of an IF everyday that the valuation increases and a virtuous cycle ensues between adoption propensity and coin value.

A noble goal, it's hard to beat free. But if it's given out for free, Icelanders will have no investment in it. To Icelanders, it'll basically be a one time gift. If it crashes to 0, they will have lost nothing, thus they won't have an incentive to try to build it's value.

This is great for Icelanders, but why in the world would anyone else want to put money in

Why does anyone put money into any foreign currency ? Forex markets are huge because you're basically buying into a country's economy without having to live there. Apart from anything else it's going to garner some major publicity if things continue on this path - the kind of publicity that not even Bitcoin has been able to get it's hands on apart from to cite one coin-loss disaster after another.

A major difference is that when you put money into forex, your investment isn't instantly being given away for free and diluted by 99% (you don't invest in markets you think are going to go down, obviously). Right now, the supply is artificially low because of the 50% premine (technically, 99% premine, if you want to use the current supply).

Icelanders will have no choice but to either A) use the coin (which would require rapid merchant adoption) or B) they dump it for Krona

No. Those are not the only choices. Remember that most money is neither spent nor converted but simply sits in bank accounts or stocks as a store of value. Auroracoin has a fixed supply and is equally distributed to the entire population. That gives it a massive advantage over ISK which has an unlimited supply and is de-valued on a regular basis. So Auroracoin gives people a new option to store their ISK.

When all is said and done, it may well get "dumped" but the significant thing here - and this is something that applies to all crypto's - it will never disappear. Cryptocurrencies are unlevered base money, unlike bank credit money. So this experiment is going to be interesting whatever the outcome of the exchange rate.

***************************** EDIT: *****************************

While I've been writing this, Auroracoin has increased in value to over $40 per coin. That makes the airdrop worth over $1000 per Icelander. What do you think the Government and central bank are going to do about this ? The value of the airdrop is now valued at 15%-20% of Icelandic government annual tax revenue.

This is MAJOR stuff which they can't ignore. On the other hand if they ban it (using a totally un-enforceable ban) they risk making themselves as unpopular as the worst of the bank-crash cartel and another popular uprising. The emperor's clothes are coming under 1000 spotlights just round the corner.

I agree it's an interesting experiment, but IMO, the lead dev should have released the coin shortly before the airdrop because it's experimenting with people's real money. Right now, there are tons of people poised to lose a ton of money.

Btw, your last few points don't apply to Auroracoin uniquely, they can always store their money in some altcoin-that-isn't-Bitcoin.

I don't have beef with new alts, but I do see this as the antithesis of cryptocurrency: It's completely centralized (99% in the hands of 1 person), 99% of the current supply is going to be distributed in a centralized manner (by the same person), huge first year inflation (10000%), and if it crashes, it will give a very bad name to cryptocurrencies as a whole (you thought bitcoin losing 70% of it's value at it lowest recently was bad, try losing up to 99%). I seriously hope that this guy does what he says and distributes it openly and transparently, but the reason why the cryptocurrency movement is here today is because we want to move away from 1 (or a few) person controlling the entire money supply, which the dev is doing currently.

vhong

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:17:42 PM

With the current market trend it looks like Auroracoin is going for billion market cap just before the Airdrop commence. Interesting!
frobley

Activity: 708
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

proving that it remains oh so easy to take peoples hard earned money.
to me these market cap of new coin is meaningless, so a few of the gullible pay a certain price for a handful of coin, and what about the other umpteen millions or billions of coins?
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 12:55:48 PM

gotta love when whales make coins.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
Trafficlearn

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:47:38 PM

the $$ has already been made on this coin....panic buy created...check.....slowly dump into panic buys...check....millions made.....check. 

Where do you think over 600 BTC worth of volume on day one came from??  icelandic people?

dont hate the players.....hate the game.

~TESLACOINS ~      http://www.teslacoins.com  Teslacoins! Renewable energy mining!  COMING SOON!
baka

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:54:04 PM

the $$ has already been made on this coin....panic buy created...check.....slowly dump into panic buys...check....millions made.....check. 

Where do you think over 600 BTC worth of volume on day one came from??  icelandic people?

dont hate the players.....hate the game.

WUT? You mean it's value isn't due to its innovation and its revolutionary features? Well sir I do not believe that i do not believe that one bit.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
Ebrelus

Activity: 186

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:56:57 PM

Yes current value is unreal and from the moon. But if you would control all supply which wont be claimed by Icelanders than best strategy would be wait to let hype make price high and coin well distributed by start of mining by community. Then when aurora will be accepted he can slowly sell coins without crushing it.

Otherwise this guy would be a dump one to kill hype knowing that it would kill final stable price. Now he could sell very limited amount and the rest would be worthless...
But of course Aurora hype is helping altcoins to be more popular even if in short term hits valuation of all other alts...

If you are master of auroracoin and you read it than Dude hold it! You are already rich so dont mess it up bro Wink You dont want to be tye next Karpeles ^^
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: