Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:35:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] 1THs 1kW 28nm Miner - $4200 - March 18th, BTC, Wire, Paypal - Last Call  (Read 12882 times)
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:19:29 PM

Okay, I've got them up and running right now. Seems the Ethernet port got banged up in shipping and is a little loose. I have it positioned right now where it holds and gets a connection.

Now for the next line of question...

Aren't these things supposed to start mining automatically if the power goes off? I've tried several times to let them just come on and hash, but they don't seem to do that. I have to keep manually pressing Okay button, or whatever that button is, a few times for it to start hashing. I've left it along for more then half an hour, and it doesn't do anything unless I press the button a few times. Anyone know how to set this up, or if it even has that option (I mean, these days they all should right)?

No they do not. You have manually restart them. My programmer guy came up with a automatic solution, but I will have to ask him how to replicate it.

That's odd because my units come right up and hash without any action on my part after a power recycle. One of the setting in the interface screen, which is in Chinese, must control that. I do admit that I was using google translate to try to muddle through the options, so I can't really describe that I did to get this behavior.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:39:12 PM

Okay, I've got them up and running right now. Seems the Ethernet port got banged up in shipping and is a little loose. I have it positioned right now where it holds and gets a connection.

Now for the next line of question...

Aren't these things supposed to start mining automatically if the power goes off? I've tried several times to let them just come on and hash, but they don't seem to do that. I have to keep manually pressing Okay button, or whatever that button is, a few times for it to start hashing. I've left it along for more then half an hour, and it doesn't do anything unless I press the button a few times. Anyone know how to set this up, or if it even has that option (I mean, these days they all should right)?

No they do not. You have manually restart them. My programmer guy came up with a automatic solution, but I will have to ask him how to replicate it.

That's odd because my units come right up and hash without any action on my part after a power recycle. One of the setting in the interface screen, which is in Chinese, must control that. I do admit that I was using google translate to try to muddle through the options, so I can't really describe that I did to get this behavior.

That seems to be it- they must have fixed that between batches.
xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:40:51 PM

Miner received today.  Just a small case scrape or two where these had been stacked. 

Correct power cord came in the box along with a patch cable.  Chinese miner interface is usable with Google Chrome/Translate.  The blades are v1.2 blades, whatever that means.

These units do auto-start, takes about 90-120 seconds from power on.  This one is hashing stable @ 1.02 Th/s for about 60 mins.  Miner.php reports blade temps of 43-50.  Power draw measured at the PDU is 1100 watts (9.2-9.3A @ 122V).  I'll get a kill-a-watt on it next time I'm over there.

Noise is equivalent to the servers it shares space with - equal to 4 Supermicro 1U servers with the turbines in them.

I'm a little bummed about the power draw, manufacturer obviously pulled a fast one on us with the chip count/clock speed.

Thanks for conducting the buy Cheshyr, I left positive trust for you.  All your efforts are much appreciated. 

If you can get us a partial refund for the not-as-advertised discrepancies, I'll happily drop you a generous tip.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
Cheshyr (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:42:12 AM

I appreciate everyone's patience and support during this process.  Despite the warnings in the sticky, you can't really be prepared for the insanity that is a group buy without having done one before.  The added flavor of a 'creative' vendor definitely made for an exciting first group buy.

At this point, all but two shipments have been delivered.  One shipment is being held hostage by Polish customs due to the lack of CE mark on these units, and the other shipment is for MWNinja, which had been squirreled away in Hong Kong customs for reasons unknown.  While I'm not certain if there is anything we can do about the CE requirements, we did manage to chase the other shipment onto a plane earlier today.

I've already started the discussion with the vendor regarding the false advertising.  The units may have delivered the promised 1TH, but there's a big difference between 900W and 1150W.  That said, I don't have high hopes for any sort of positive response.  I'll keep you posted.

Aside from the continuing group buys for these units as they race to the bottom, I have other projects in the works for the future.  Any positive Trust you're willing to leave on my profile would be invaluable.  

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
varakunai

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:48:12 AM

Trust Added, Thanks for the hard work Dave. 
DimensionsOfHell

Activity: 346

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:15:10 AM

Added Trust for you as well Dave. You did a great job.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 07:35:33 AM

Thanks Cheshyr,

got my units, one spent a night at Seattle's hub, it was tired for the flight, maybe Smiley

Really postive experience.

spiccioli
Cheshyr (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 07:58:22 PM by Cheshyr

Anybody having weirdness with their LCD?  I'm trying to track down a problem, but the vendor is non-responsive at 3am China time.  One unit has an LCD that is blinking Red/White on the LCD, and it's a bit unnnerving.  If anyone has some insight before China wakes up, it'd be appreciated.
Suave

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 09:29:31 PM

I bought 4 units in this group buy and it's been good experience for the most part. Communication has been good. The only problem I have is that one of the blades on one of the units fried and emitted smoke from the case. The unit won't turn on with this blade plugged in. It was very weird. The unit had been running for nearly 24 hours and then I noticed that it wasn't on. So I flipped it off and then flipped it back on and smoke blew out of the machine. I immediately turned it off. No overclocking or tweaking has been done in any way. After unplugging the blade the unit hashes just as it should (750GH).

Another one of my rigs has a blinking LCD red/white, the unit hashes fine, but the LCD problem is a bit of an annoyance.

So basically I have 2 good units and 2 "soso" units.

I have asked Cheshyr to pay me the daily amount that 250GH would make, but that was not an option.

He has paid me $100 out of his own pocket for the time being, so hopefully I will have a replacement blade within the time period of that $100 vs 250GH.

Posting just to keep things transparent.

Thanks Cheshyr.
varakunai

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Anybody having weirdness with their LCD?  I'm trying to track down a problem, but the vendor is non-responsive at 3am China time.  One unit has an LCD that is blinking Red/White on the LCD, and it's a bit unnnerving.  If anyone has some insight before China wakes up, it'd be appreciated.

I'm having the same issue as well.
Cheshyr (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:04:17 AM

For now, make sure you keep that unit cool. The units are supposed to be good for 60-90C, but the flashing LCD is a heat warning.
varakunai

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:39:17 AM

For now, make sure you keep that unit cool. The units are supposed to be good for 60-90C, but the flashing LCD is a heat warning.

I know it is running cool enough right now.  How can i make the flashing light stop?
Suave

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:16:22 AM

Make it cooler varakunai. I know mine was cool even when the LCD was flashing, but if you look in your mining stats page for that unit, you will see that 1 ship chip on 1 blade is probably hot. That's the case for me and there isn't much you can do about it besides try to get it cooler or just have the LCD blink until Cheshyr can get some new blades in. Hopefully more of an annoyance more than any real danger in frying the blade. I can't have 2 blades die on me!! Smiley
Cheshyr (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:49:25 AM

Alright, I've received some feedback from the factory on the blinking LCD issues, and it sounds like it's not a big deal in this case.

Suave posted some temperature numbers he retrieved from within the monitoring software yesterday, that looked like this: 58-52-46-44-58-80-57-65.  The engineer said it looks like a bad temperature sensor, not a bad chip, especially if the unit was still hashing.  Even if it's running at 80C, this is 'within spec' for the v1.2 boards, according to them, and is nothing to worry about.

I'm still trying to find a way to disable the blinking, but until then, if the unit is hashing consistently, the LCD alarm is a cosmetic issue where they forgot to move a temperature check set point in the RPi firmware.
Cheshyr (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:22:50 PM

Still no word on blinking LCD.  Polish customs is still being a pain.  All other orders delivered.  Waiting on spare blade for Suave to arrive.

xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:26:09 AM

Posting here to inquire about a possible scam.

Has anyone who bought extra blades from JointDoctor received them?

He sent me tracking info that seems to be no good.  I messaged a few days ago but he hasn't logged on since the 20th.  He moved 6 coins (Not all mine) from the address today so he's definitely "around".

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
Cheshyr (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:32:10 AM

I bought one, but haven't heard from him since the 20th. Ive sent him a PM. I wasn't going to start worrying until late next week.
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 05:57:20 AM

The blinking means you don't have enough cooling, and the chips are also probably throttling.  Ship your miner to my data center and enjoy the peace and quiet of not listening to the jet engine fans Smiley
varakunai

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:54:21 PM

The blinking means you don't have enough cooling, and the chips are also probably throttling.  Ship your miner to my data center and enjoy the peace and quiet of not listening to the jet engine fans Smiley

Mine began blinking because it was overheating, we had a problem with our exhaust fan that we didn't get to for 15 min.  Temps are now very cool and the blinking continues.

So my problem isn't heat, it's the ugly flashing screen..Sad

As a side note, Not sure if JD is a scam or not, kinda glad i didn't send him 2btc..But i still want more blades!  Anyone able to get any?  I want 7 of them.
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:17:38 PM

The blinking means you don't have enough cooling, and the chips are also probably throttling.  Ship your miner to my data center and enjoy the peace and quiet of not listening to the jet engine fans Smiley

No, its not. I have had 6 units blinking at the same time with ambient around ~75F, with no difference in hashing speed.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: