Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:38:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USDC vs USDT: new stablecoins addition to the market, what do you think?  (Read 279 times)
CryptopreneurBrainboss (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 4172

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2018, 03:22:29 PM

The highly expected stablecoin USDC was just added to an exchange (announcement made on their official Twitter account).

Trading pair(s) for USDC/ETH added to Kucoin and many more exchange coming soon such as, centralized; DigiFinex, CoinEx, Poloniex, KuCoin, OKCoin, Coinplug, XDAEX etc. and Decentralized; IDEX, Paradex, Radar Relay, Tokenlon etc.
Also with the likes of @MoneyToken ( A platform for Smart Loans, backed by Crypto-Assets launch at Q1 2018), showing support for the stablecoin USDC, tweeting earlier "Get ready to take out loans in USDC against your crypto assets in the next platform's update".

What do you think about the addition of this new stablecoin to the Cryptomarket  and do you think USDC has the potential to overtake USDT any sooner as no1 stablecoin in the cryptosphere?.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:23:46 PM

the only coming stable coin I will trust is

bitbay

when their rolling peg arrives you can kiss goodbye to whale manipulations as you know it now

+ it will be entirely transparent and democratic

qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:27:24 PM

I think Gemini Dollars looks interesting as future stablecoin.
I also think that Tether will start loosing customers, if they dont change their operation and provide more clarity.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:31:27 PM

bitbay

when their rolling peg arrives you can kiss goodbye to whale manipulations as you know it now

I do not agree with you. Bitbox is fine. But something better is coming! Gemini dollar created by Winklevoss twins! This is the first really trusted stable coin with competency. Wink

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:43:11 PM

bitbay

I do not agree with you. Bitbox is fine. But something better is coming! Gemini dollar created by Winklevoss twins! This is the first really trusted stable coin with competency. Wink

Which part are you disagreeing with?

1. I will only trust bitbay

or

2. it will crush whale manipulation

or

3 it will be entirely transparent and democratic?

Karlinz
Copper Member

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:46:11 PM

Nice one too, good one for traders as this will widen the hedging options for traders so that the issue of tether as the only one won't appear anymore, the recent rumour about the impending hack of usdt sent shivers down my spine but with this one can can have another option to hedge against usdt

🌱 KNL Ecosystem 🌱                                                                                                                                         
                     Invest. Trade. Earn                  SECTORS OF TOKENIZATION  | Agriculture, Real estate, Oil industry, Fintech, Other industries   
                                                    /                                                      Telegram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Medium | Btt
bitChipper

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:52:50 PM

I think the biggest thing that everyone should take away from the addition of many more stable coins is that we no longer have to worry about the systemic risk associated with the USDT (TETHER).

Back in Dec/Jan USDT was the focal point of soooo much FUD, it was in my opinion the biggest risk of the crypto market, if tether would have collapsed then it would have created a narrative that it was the only thing holding up the crypto market and prices would have tanked.

The rise of all these other stable coins that are more transparent and legitimate...Circle/Gemini to name a few, gives precedent that they provide more liquidity.

What do you think about the addition of this new stablecoin to the Cryptomarket  and do you think USDC has the potential to overtake USDT any sooner as no1 stablecoin in the cryptosphere?.

Yes for sure! Why would anyone use Tether anymore? With no proof of actually being backed by the dollar why take the risk? The only reason it will stay around is because it is so ingrained into so many exchanges.
kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 03:58:22 PM

I think stable coin is definitely required in the market but too many usd based coins are not going to help rather they can cause confusion in the market, im hearing a lot of more stable coins are also coming soon in the market, for me i think market needs only one real and solid usd backed coin.

cr197

Activity: 304
Merit: 109

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 12:19:05 AM

There are currently over 57 "stable"coin projects in existence. Some are already live and others are still in development.
The vast majority of them will still have to build a marketplace or request integration into an existing marketplace if they are to ever really tap into being adopted as a 'currency'.

There is only 1 that has a trustless marketplace ready and an easy button web/mobile marketplace ready in a couple more months = BitBay

And the point I'm getting at is that now that all these stablecoins are beginning to come online, they better continue developing in a frenzy to build real world use applications as well.
Because if their hopes are to just sit back and remain 'sustainable' on centralized fundamentals by being used as a hedging mechanism for exchange traders, then they will most likely fail.
The shear number of new coins coming online will cause the industry's trade volume to get diluted more and more.

Investors need to take in consideration:

1) Definition - What is a stablecoin? Is it something that holds a hard pegged value to fiat or gold? What makes this fiat or gold stable? Is it not simply because its exchange price fluctuations are less volatile than other industries? So in the end, doesn't it just boil down to stabilizing the volatility? So why sell yourself short and let something else do that for you? Why not just create your own self sufficient volatility stabilizer? Why rely on something else to do it for you? Dependency is a weakness. And why stop there? If you remove the volatility, why does that mean you HAVE to keep it at a hard pegged 'value'? Why not let it find it's fair market value yet simply regulating the volatility while it searches for a fair market value!  BitBay is the only stablecoin that simply enforces regulating volatility. BitBay doesn't need gold or fiat to do that for it! It's completely independent!

2) Fundamentals - how decentralized is it? Why does that matter? There are multiple reasons, but one big one I foresee is what happens to these centralized coins when governments simply create their own digital crypto fiat? Such a fear doesn't apply to decentralized coins. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1691458.140
There are numerous coins that claim they are decentralized. Yet literally none of them can guarantee that they can 'truly' enforce their price because it always boils down to trusting that someone (custodians, backers, burners, traders, insurers, etc) will be there to enforce the correction. This is a major centralized flaw! And the more the stablecoin sector of the industry dilutes itself with new coins, the harder it is to sustain this design.
BitBay doesn't try to hard peg its value, so it doesn't "break" if it can't maintain a value. It can always enforce it's stability protocols because of this. This very protocol is what removes the volatility in the first place. Collateral is not needed. Collateral is always welcome. But it's voluntary only. If you want to put up a 4 million dollar buy wall on BitBay, you are a voluntary backer. If you pull your backing, the coin will adjust as needed with or without someone else coming to take your place with a new buy wall!

3) Investment potential - If you are a retail investor what reason do you have for investing in these coins?  Does your centralized stablecoin reward retail investor coin holders? Or does it just make the elite market makers, exchange hosts more
money? What point is there in holding a stablecoin if it has no reward mechanism in place to provide you with a ROI. https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmoore/2018/09/10/why-you-should-avoid-stablecoins-as-investments/#67bd2fe17a07    There are a few coins that realize this and realize the potential in giving retail investors ROI for supporting the coins - not just the elite centralize backers, market makers, exchanges, developers, etc.  And of these few coins, again, BitBay isn't focused on a hard pegged value. BitBay is always seeking fair market value, which means it can gain in value and potentially hold gains! When you combine our staking protocol to the system it makes for some interesting compounding gains on top of market price. In BitBay, people can buy up liquid coins and voluntarily freeze them for a higher stake reward interest rate. The current levels are set at: voluntary freeze (3 month time lock) = 4-5% newly minted coins per year, network frozen coins = 2-2.5% newly minted coins per year, and liquid coins = 1% newly minted coins per year. So imagine you had 10 million dollars invested in BitBay at the beginning of the year. You voluntarily freeze your coin supply 4 times back to back (3 month time locks) = you gain 4-5% newly minted coins. And on top of that, BitBay's exchange price increases by 10-12% over the course of 12 months. You do the math! That's a "little" bit better return than you'll get from any of these hard pegged stable coins!

Cheers!

"Dishonour is like a scar on a tree, which time, instead of effacing, only helps to enlarge."
CryptopreneurBrainboss (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 4172

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 04:02:48 PM

There are currently over 57 "stable"coin projects in existence. Some are already live and others are still in development.
The vast majority of them will still have to build a marketplace or request integration into an existing marketplace if they are to ever really tap into being adopted as a 'currency'.

There is only 1 that has a trustless marketplace ready and an easy button web/mobile marketplace ready in a couple more months = BitBay

Well we all have our opinions, I don't know about bitbay but will do my research on it. I have been following USDC from development stages still date, that's why I have more faith in them than USDT. Never knew of USDT until I saw it on exchanges.
The rate at which new stablecoins are created needs to be put to check, I mean if we just had 5-10 stablecoins build with real world use applications, it would be beneficial to the cryptosystem.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
yla1974

Activity: 700
Merit: 380

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 04:16:05 PM

Every exchanger wants to have his pocket $. This situation already looks ridiculous. You can not print $, but you can make it up. I do not know who thinks, but I see only more risks for investors in this. More coins, more chances to lose one of them, with the next scam.
wumBowo

Activity: 770
Merit: 298

tozex.io

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2018, 04:28:42 PM

since it listed on decentralized exchanges that based on ethereum platform, so it will become a token right?

Tozex