Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:26:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Andreas Antonopolous raising funds for Dorian Nakamoto  (Read 20578 times)
bitlancr

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:15:56 AM

Hi all,

I'm selling "I'm Satoshi Nakamoto" T-shirts in support of this - 50% of profits will go to this fund.

Check out the main thread here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=506269.0

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:28:44 AM

There is no way this Satoshi is the creator of bitcoin. The real Satoshi has great command of the English language. This individual clearly does not. The bitcoin white paper and hundreds of communications by Satoshi contrast profoundly with the poorly written items accredited to this individual. This is an epic Fail

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 04:36:08 AM

There is no way this Satoshi is the creator of bitcoin. The real Satoshi has great command of the English language. This individual clearly does not. The bitcoin white paper and hundreds of communications by Satoshi contrast profoundly with the poorly written items accredited to this individual. This is an epic Fail

How so?  This old guy got his name dragged through mud by the mainstream, car chased, harassed at his home, and life generally put in danger by this Newsweek revelation.  If that Newsweek article is correct in that "this" Satoshi is in financial and health ruin, why not help a fellow human being in need.

Worst case this shows the humanitarian and fund raising aspect of Bitcoin.  This is a positive thing and paints Bitcoin in a positive light, instead of all the negative news.

This is a win win for the Bitcoin community no matter what.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
xenotrunksx

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:36:54 AM

will folks please stop quoting Mr. Crappo

I, for one, don't want to expose myself to the toxic stupidity.

+1

Donate or don't donate.  Whether or not you agree with the concept of this donation, or even believe its legitimacy. Once you have made your position clear no need to repeat it ad nauseam.
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:03:14 AM

I think it's fun to spend bitcoin on something like this. And I did. Otherwise HODL...
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:04:28 AM

The internet has opened my eyes to how even when positive things are done. People will still find something to complain about or try to turn it into a negative.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:13:03 AM

The internet has opened my eyes to how even when positive things are done. People will still find something to complain about or try to turn it into a negative.

only some people

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
vinipoars

Activity: 581
Merit: 507

To the moon!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 07:24:32 AM

So now Dorian is involved with bitcoins.

We're going to hook him up with Google Glass next to enhance his hobby.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a correlation between blockchain and trains?
(I know I'm over thinking)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 11:11:18 AM

Already 36 BTC, I'm surprised.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:45:38 AM

I am not!!!

I am just glad  Smiley
lorix

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:03:12 PM

I am not!!!

I am just glad  Smiley

Up to 38+ now and still rising....

Good moral stance aside, this is excellent positive publicity for Bitcoin that the media will hopefully pick up as a "happily ever after" epilogue to this mess they created in Dorian's life.

While I hope they won't, my only concern is the media responsible for this may try to spin it where they try and take the credit for this outcome. Sad

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:43:10 PM

Several times during the interview with AP, Nakamoto mistakenly referred to the currency as "bitcom," and as a single company, which it is not.

He did it on purpose!  It was to throw everyone off!  Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:59:46 PM

Several times during the interview with AP, Nakamoto mistakenly referred to the currency as "bitcom," and as a single company, which it is not.

Which should be a red flag to anyone capable of some critical thinking.

You'd think that having been subject to a media frenzy he might have bothered to learn what it is he is supposed to have created. His 'I know nothing' routine smacked of someone trying to play the befuddled old man part a little too hard.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:04:26 PM

You'd think that having been subject to a media frenzy he might have bothered to learn what it is he is supposed to have created. His 'I know nothing' routine smacked of someone trying to play the befuddled old man part a little too hard.

I'll tell you what is a red flag to anyone capable of some critical thinking.

Satoshi went to extreme lengths to conceal his identity. Satoshi is obviously not stupid. Yet, Satoshi apparently used his real name for all communications involving Bitcoin.

Wut? o_O
It's called hiding in plain sight.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:08:54 PM

Satoshi went to extreme lengths to conceal his identity. Satoshi is obviously not stupid. Yet, Satoshi apparently used his real name for all communications involving Bitcoin.

Wut? o_O
It's called hiding in plain sight.

Uh huh.
What is with the uh uh? However, Dorian has a bit too many coincidences with the creator of Bitcoin(namely working for a cryptographic department in his old job).

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:32:42 PM

d00d, it is just a money grab scheme. Relax, chill out. Someone will have several free lunch for a good period of time.

No.  Its not.   Its far more likely its an "I want to meet Satoshi" scheme.  Andreas doesn't steal Bitcoins from people.  He has a long history of donating.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:37:41 PM

d00d, it is just a money grab scheme. Relax, chill out. Someone will have several free lunch for a good period of time.

No.  Its not.   Its far more likely its an "I want to meet Satoshi" scheme.  Andreas doesn't steal Bitcoins from people.  He has a long history of donating.

-B-
Andreas is pissed at the news media right now, and part of the reason for this campaign is illuminating and correcting the damage they do.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:38:05 PM

What is with the uh uh? However, Dorian has a bit too many coincidences with the creator of Bitcoin(namely working for a cryptographic department in his old job).

The existence of coincidences doesn't mean there's evidence he's satoshi, it just means you have a conspiracy theory.

So?  There is no shame in having a theory or hypothesis and testing it.  Or at least it is not shameful to some people.  Quite the opposite to a lot of us.  Maybe the theory is wrong.  Many theories are and there is nothing wrong with that.  The only failure in my opinion is to fail to test a theory sufficiently before either abandoning it or accepting it.

The funny thing is that this is one of the very few theories which really cannot be considered a 'conspiracy' theory.  This because it does not involve more than one person since the suggestion here is that Satoshi/Dorian worked alone without being deceptive in his goals.

People are trained (and very effectively so) to recoil at the words 'conspiracy theory'.  It is designed to be something which abruptly halts analysis since doing so paints the analyst as automatically being a dangerous insane person.

This is much like the training in the U.S. to refer to people of African descent as 'African Americans'.  The training is so strong that you'll hear Africans being called 'African Americans from Africa.'

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
scribed.9

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:19:11 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ztjmg/andreas_im_fundraising_for_dorian_nakamoto/

Hi everyone, Andreas M. Antonopoulos here.
I'm fundraising for Dorian Nakamoto, the person named in the newsweak article.
I have no idea if this person is Satoshi, though it seems increasingly unlikely. However, it doesn't matter either way. If this person is Satoshi, then the funds are a small "thanks" and won't make much of a difference.
However, if this person is not Satoshi, then these funds will serve as a "sorry for what happened to you", help with medical bills his family is facing, any legal bills they may incur, or anything else. Most of all, it serves to soften the damage caused by irresponsible journalism and to demonstrate the generosity and empathy of the community, which I know is huge
Here's how it will work. I will collect donations to a single bitcoin address, posted below, with the following rules:
Donations accepted until the end of March.
At the end of March, donations will be converted to USD and delivered to Dorian Nakamoto.
If the donation is rejected by Dorian, then the funds will go to a charity of his choice
If he doesn't want to choose a charity, funds will be donated to the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Any funds sent after the deadline, will be donated to Dorian at a later date, or a charity of his choice or EFF as above.
After the end of March, I will make my best effort to contact Dorian and deliver the donations in USD. I will document as much of that process as possible to prove the donations were delivered, as long as that documentation does not affect Dorian's privacy.
The blockchain will provide transparency of all funds donated, which will not move from that address until the funds are delivered to the intended recipient based on the rules above.

Donation address: 1Dorian4RoXcnBv9hnQ4Y2C1an6NJ4UrjX
Check the fundraising progress here: https://blockchain.info/address/1Dorian4RoXcnBv9hnQ4Y2C1an6NJ4UrjX
EDIT: Find the donation address and the terms, signed by my PGP key, at the pastebin below
http://pastebin.com/4MHvpaeN

Is this anything like www.FindSatoshiNakamoto.com?
Are you also planning on investigating who dorian is in reward for giving him the donation?

revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:24:35 PM

Wut? o_O

Who said he went to extreme lengths? When all this started he never could have imagined Bitcoin would become so successful, thus his attempts to obfuscate his identity could well have been playful like using a previous name
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: