Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:00:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptopia exchange hacked  (Read 4052 times)
Canoppo99

Activity: 334
Merit: 15

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 08:03:52 AM

I also need to withdraw my money that I have sent to cryptopia. Maybe I am also a victim, I have some btc there but I can't withdraw it, this is very strange. In this case efforts to avoid cybercrime such as use strong password, keep software updated or even strengthen home network is useless. This is a major security breaches that we cannot avoid. I hope cryptopia can find the hacker and get the money back.

Mycro Jobs                                                                                                                                                                                                   
| SIMPLY GETTING THE JOB DONE
⟩                                                                                                                                                     
                                                           ⟩⟩ Telegram ⟩⟩ Twitter ⟩⟩ Medium ⟩⟩ Github ⟩⟩ Instagram ⟩⟩ LinkedIn ⟩⟩ YouTube ⟩⟩ Facebook

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Spider A4

Activity: 657
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 04:49:28 PM

How much was stolen from the hack?

there are no official numbers. cryptopia refuses to release that info, citing the police investigation. but circumstantial and blockchain evidence point to $10 million+ USD equivalent, most of which seems to have been ERC-20 tokens (dentacoin, metal, trueUSD, etc): https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cryptopia-alleged-hack-police-case-200800523.html
We don't know exactly how many different coins hacked. I know a lot of coins which only traded specially in cryptopia even valuable & coinmarketcap top ranking coin. Given below list is only ERC-20 token:

1. Dentacoin
2. KyberNetwork
3. MobileGo
4. Bonpay
5. OmiseGo
5. Indahash
6. IvyKoin Public Network Tokens
7. Metal
8. Tenxpay
9. ZRX
10. Unibright
11. Ethbits

Eclipse2021

Activity: 209
Merit: 60

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 07:30:02 PM

Oh,look! 2019 started perfectly and another exchange is gone I assume with all the money in the exchange. I wonder if they can retreat the coins back as the rules in NZ are very severe regarding to cryptos so the CEO might serve prison for sure if they don't recover the funds or at least this is what the articles write about this unfortunate problem.

DATABLOC  • protecting the world’s data •   ✔Reserve your stone token TODAY!  ✔
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | LinkedIn | Telegram | Reddit

GreatBug

Activity: 629
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 07:33:09 PM

I read somewhere that this is not the end. They lost several million USD, but this will not cause their total collapse. Probably the case is thoroughly examined by the police, and after the investigation is completed, the exchange is ready to start working again.
Inosend
Copper Member

Activity: 299
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 08:45:55 PM

I got the hacked message couple of days back but although I'm yet to login and check my coins I just hope I'm safe.

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
trader34

Activity: 434
Merit: 38

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 09:37:04 PM

There have been so many exchanges hacked in the past year, Cryptopia is just the last one.

I think that the market has a need for practices for greater security and greater guarantees to open up to mass adoption and to the common investor.
minhlee95

Activity: 527
Merit: 101

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 10:15:14 PM

I've always found hackers to be very smart guys who have an excellent grasp of all information security systems. Therefore, our task as investors is to protect our investments as much as possible and to choose only proven reliable wallets. Then the possibility that something negative will happen to your coins is minimized.

Dondisimo

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 10:18:43 PM

Storage security is perhaps the most important aspect of investing, especially if you are using a long-term strategy. Therefore, you need to protect your wallet as much as possible and never trust anyone with your passwords, then the probability that you will be hacked by hackers will decrease, although this is not 100%.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
bp124

Activity: 264
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 10:28:41 PM

I heard about this a some days ago and i was shocked because cryptopia is one of the exchange platform that host the cryptocurrencies of most masternode owners. So i can imagine the amount of monies crypto enthusiasts have lost through this hack. I heard Binance has also frozen some accounts that seems to have transferred some funds from Cryptopia pending some clarifications. Let's hope the users on cryptopia gets some amount of refund

Bloodseekers

Activity: 769
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 11:02:43 PM

I think cryptopia still running the bussiness in the future. Its just police investigation and i think cryptopia doing a transparant way. Its very risky store our coin in exchanger wallet because exchanger more vulnerable to hack. Better keeping our coin in our wallet and secure the private key
I agree with you, i also dont store my coin in exchanges excpet whan to sell it, or trading it. And i only trading short term term, also i choose popular exchange like binance. Even in the future cryptopia still running, but this negative news will effect on trust. For me im not using cryptopia anymore
crzy

Activity: 2128
Merit: 180

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 11:20:28 PM

There have been so many exchanges hacked in the past year, Cryptopia is just the last one.

I think that the market has a need for practices for greater security and greater guarantees to open up to mass adoption and to the common investor.
Those of the previous hacked I think is just an inside job which is possible in every crypto exchange. More security is a must, so the investors will have the peace of mind to keep the money on the exchanges. I hope for that this will be the last and hope that bigger exchanges learn from this.
sadass123

Activity: 125
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 09:23:24 AM

hmmmm so this is reason why their website maintance Sad i worried my asset

VECAP ▬ next generation of smart home
https://vecap.io/
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 20, 2019, 07:56:02 PM

It is possible to see if actual coins (not shit eth tokens) were moved from their cryptopia wallets?

If those coins are there then the owners will be allowed to withdraw them.

This is not as yet a cryptsy type scenario is it?

Is there a thread with a full analysis of this hack using block explorers for actual coins listed there?

Ribbitforum

Activity: 487
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 08:10:38 AM

There is a new update from New Zealand Police Official Website, But Im Not Surprise on the details given in the news article,im expecting that cryptopia will start the operation again. https://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/police-making-progress-crypto-currency-investigation
Noojna

Activity: 687
Merit: 501

AVANTAGE - Blockchain Loyalty System

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2019, 08:13:55 PM

It is possible to see if actual coins (not shit eth tokens) were moved from their cryptopia wallets?

If those coins are there then the owners will be allowed to withdraw them.

This is not as yet a cryptsy type scenario is it?

Is there a thread with a full analysis of this hack using block explorers for actual coins listed there?

C'mon man, you know how that goes in the Crypto world... those coins will be auctioned off to pay for lawyer fees and other parasites' claims.

Why do people leave coin at exchanges.

███████████
  █████████████████████
                        ████████████████████████████                     
████             ███████████████        ███████████████             ███
  ███████       ███████████                              ██████████         ████
  ███████      ████████        ██████████████       ████████    ████████
   ██████    ████████        ██████████████████    ███████    ███████████
  ███████    ████████    ████████████████████  ████████  ██████████████
  ██████    ███████      ███████████            ██    ████████  ████████    █████
  ██████       ██████       ████████         ██████       ███████    ███████          █████
  ██████    ██████    ████████    ███████████████████  ████████  ███    █████
  ██████    ███████  ███████      ██████████████████    ████████  █████    █████
  ██████    ██████    ██████    ████████████████████    ██████     ██████    █████
  █████    ███████   ██████      ███████            ████████  ██████    ███████  █████
██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████  █████
██████    ██████    ██████  ███████  ███████    ██████    ██████    ██████  █████
██████    ██████    ██████  ███████  ███████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ████
██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████    ██████  █████
  █████    ███████  ██████       ██████               ███████  ██████       █████    █████
  ██████    ██████    ██████   ████████████████████   ██████    ██████    █████
  ██████    █████    ███████   ███████████████████   ██████       ██████    █████
███████    ██    ████████  ███████████████████      ███████   ██████    █████
  ██████          ███████    ████████  ████████      █████████    ███████    █████
███████    ████████   ███████                      ██████████      ███████    █████
  ██████████████      ███████  ████████████████████      ███████    ██████
  ████████████  █████████  ███████████████████      ████████    ██████
  ██████████  ████████     ████████████████         █████████    ██████
  ███████      ██████████                ██                ██████████      ██████
  █████           ██████████████            ██████████████           ████
  ███                   ██████████████████████████████                   █
  ███████████████████████
  ███████████████
🔥 🔥»📝 BTC 💬
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 09:17:06 PM

I thought everyone got major learning by hacked off cryptopia. You never and ever leave your coins on exchanges or webwallets. Sooner or later you're gonna lose money. You might use a wallet for storage, a place you have control over it. You are only transferring to an exchange if you plan to sell.
that works for long term trader or investor, but not for daily trader
if you are trying to make money by trading everyday, you will need to keep your coins on the exchanges
depositing/withdrawing everyday would be cumbersome, time consuming, and very costly

roughswap

Activity: 153
Merit: 8

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 11:17:38 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2019, 12:16:21 AM by roughswap

How long have other exchanges that got hacked taken to reopen?

I think my coins might still be within the exchange
RivAngE

Activity: 728
Merit: 169

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 12:42:59 PM

On another thread I did an amateurish search to see what's Cryptopia's BTC wallets look like... I don't like what I see but could someone more experienced than me check my findings and let me know if I've made a mistake somewhere or if indeed the Cryptopia's BTC wallets were also hacked alongside ETH?

Okay I think I found the Cryptopia's BTC wallet. My deposit there is kinda old and I can't recall 100% if it's the address I deposited was Cryptopia's or another exchange's, but I traced the movement and since the wallet's movements stopped on 14th January I'm 99% sure it's Cryptopia's.

This is their wallet: 3ALZ4ALw2T4jebXXUy8GMv2rLB7JpFL1JD

After many hops between 1-use addresses, I find a big amount of funds consecrated here: 12YBZCaPe45LFbvgYWP5AVm3pvZTtHTiNY
This was a new address created on 13th January.
It seems that after gathering BTC from different Cryptopia's wallets, summing 392.31 BTC, they sent a "test" transaction of 3 BTC on 14th January and 10 minutes later they sent all the amount to the same address.

From that point on, it seems like the funds were split to multiple addresses, probably many of which are exchanges.

Your thoughts? Anything I missed maybe?
roughswap

Activity: 153
Merit: 8

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 01:10:55 AM

From reading around reports seem to state that only Ether and Erc 20 token created on their platform were taken.

Elementus have a chart showing what coins they think have been taken and the amount, although i don't know the accuracy of there research.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 05:41:30 AM

On another thread I did an amateurish search to see what's Cryptopia's BTC wallets look like... I don't like what I see but could someone more experienced than me check my findings and let me know if I've made a mistake somewhere or if indeed the Cryptopia's BTC wallets were also hacked alongside ETH?

Okay I think I found the Cryptopia's BTC wallet. My deposit there is kinda old and I can't recall 100% if it's the address I deposited was Cryptopia's or another exchange's, but I traced the movement and since the wallet's movements stopped on 14th January I'm 99% sure it's Cryptopia's.

This is their wallet: 3ALZ4ALw2T4jebXXUy8GMv2rLB7JpFL1JD

After many hops between 1-use addresses, I find a big amount of funds consecrated here: 12YBZCaPe45LFbvgYWP5AVm3pvZTtHTiNY
This was a new address created on 13th January.
It seems that after gathering BTC from different Cryptopia's wallets, summing 392.31 BTC, they sent a "test" transaction of 3 BTC on 14th January and 10 minutes later they sent all the amount to the same address.

From that point on, it seems like the funds were split to multiple addresses, probably many of which are exchanges.

Your thoughts? Anything I missed maybe?

that may have been cryptopia consolidating and securing its bitcoins into new wallets. the "test" transaction followed by full consolidation of the funds is indicative of that. that would be my first guess unless you're seeing the split funds enter other exchanges.

every report i've seen says it was ETH and ERC20 tokens---not bitcoin---that were stolen.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: