Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:15:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  
Author Topic: VanitySearch (Yet another address prefix finder)  (Read 31274 times)
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 6586

Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 08:17:44 AM

I don't know if this question was posted here before, as I didn't go through all the 37 pages of the thread. I tried a while ago to generate a vanity address and then to import it in Electrum. When I imported it, Electrum said it is a "watch-only" address.

Furthermore, after some talking to 1miau, the author of the topic [Guide] How to create your customized Bitcoin-Address (vanitygen) – step by step, he told me that he once sent some funds to the generated address, but when he tried to spend them (from the vanity address which was also imported in Electrum), he received an error and he was unable to send the funds.

Due to the above mentioned problems, I am asking the following: are the vanity addresses useful just for own vanity of the owner? Can't them be used for spending funds?

As far as I see it, such an address can only be used for vanity purposes or for signing messages using Electrum. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheArchaeologist

Activity: 310
Merit: 727

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2020, 08:44:02 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Due to the above mentioned problems, I am asking the following: are the vanity addresses useful just for own vanity of the owner? Can't them be used for spending funds?

As far as I see it, such an address can only be used for vanity purposes or for signing messages using Electrum. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?
The whole idea of a vanity address is you can use it just as a normal random generated address. So you should be able to spent from the address once it is funded.

I'm not sure what you did to import to Electrum as I don't use Electrum myself. But since Electrum says "watch-only" address it seems you did not use the Private Key or WIF to import. So my question is: what steps did you take after generating to import in Electrum?

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 09:07:27 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2023, 08:13:06 AM by GazetaBitcoin

I did all the necessary steps Smiley Furthermore, I also had avaliable a tutorial written by 1miau: How to add a Bitcoin address to Electrum / difference sweep and import priv. key. Of course I imported the private key - I was also able to sign a message.

And yes, I know that these addresses are supposed to be used as normal ones...

However, excepting the problem encountered by me (to see the address as being a "watch-only" one), 1miau told me he  received an error when he tried to spend funds from the vanity address. Furthermore, others encountered also this problem:

done  

btw a few days ago i made a vanitysegwitaddress from an older version which is 1.11 but when i try to spend the balance in that address it turns out an error like this

so there is no way to spend the balance again? because of uncompressed addresses?
Hi, may I ask if you get your problem solved?  Smiley

i ask the creator and he answers that i can't spend my bitcoin from that address
because i create using -u command which generates an uncompressed addresses

i ask the creator and he answers that i can't spend my bitcoin from that address
because i create using -u command which generates an uncompressed addresses
Shocked Shocked

So sad. Are you sure that there is no way to spend the bitcoins? I thought it's just Electrum why it doesn't work. If it's not possible to spend bitcoins from such an uncompressed addresses why he has added -u as option  Huh Huh Huh

It's not only an useless option, it's a dangerous option.  Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe add a warning to your guide that people shouldn't use -u and if they use it, the bitcoins are lost. (if that's the case)

Are you really sure that the BTC are lost forever? I think it's still possible to use bitaddress, to get the compressed/uncompressed privkey and import it. The address wil be another one but the bitcoins are on both addresses (theoretically).

jean_Luc already disable a feature to generates an address from -u commands
i think we can still spend from compressed/uncompressed addresses but as long it's not a segwit address

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheArchaeologist

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2020, 09:36:12 AM

I did all the necessary steps Smiley
Except for listing them here.

The problem sure isn't the address itself. Based on the screenshot is seems you imported the private keys as P2WPKH or P2WPKH-P2SH,while your WIF starts with a 5. Did you prefix the wif with p2pkh: when importing?

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 09:56:11 AM

This is not my screenshot...if you would look at the quoted text, you could see that the screenshot belongs to someone else. I just wanted to show another example (excepting mine and 1miau's) when someone couldn't spend the funds sent to a vanity address. In my case, I did not lose any money. I saw the address was shown as watch-only in Electrum, and I didn't send any funds to it. Thus, my problem was that I had a vanity address which I could use only for signing messages and for my own vanity... But 1miau and that user lost the funds they previously sent to the vanity addressand this is a severe issue.

I did not mention my steps as I din't remember them precisely - it was a few months ago. But I made all the steps needed and I also had available 1miau's tutorial.

However, why don't you try to create a vanity address and then import it in Electrum? You'll see by yourself. And to be sure, create two addresses: ine starting with 1 and the second one starting with 3. I remember I created one starting with 3.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BASE16

Activity: 180
Merit: 38

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 11:10:38 AM

This happened because you used (hash of) a uncompressed pubkey.
Uncompressed public key starts with prefix '04' and can not (yet) be used in this process.
Compressed public key starts with prefix '02' or '03' depending on odd or even on the curve point and these can be used in this process.
That wallet software clearly tells you that these can only work with compressed public keys so any funds you send will most likely become undependable.
TheArchaeologist

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2020, 11:48:00 AM

However, why don't you try to create a vanity address and then import it in Electrum? You'll see by yourself. And to be sure, create two addresses: ine starting with 1 and the second one starting with 3. I remember I created one starting with 3.
That works flawless.

So based on the info you gave this specific situation happened:
  • An old version of vanitygen was used
  • In this old version the -u parameter was used (no longer available) which generates an uncompressed pubkey
  • This uncompressed pubkey was then used to wrap into a P2SH script (by vanitygen) to generate an address starting with 3
  • The WIF for the 3-address was then imported to Electrum
  • Electrum now threats the addres as an P2SH wrapped P2WPKH
  • But since P2WPKH public keys are not meant to be uncompressed Electrum throws an error when you try spending. So in order to unlock the locking script Electrum doesn't know how to handle this.

So all in all it seems like a combination of events. Can you link to the topic you quoted from as I wonder how many people got their funds locked up in this way.

GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 01:05:21 PM

I'll try again and see how it goes. I didn't use the -u parameter (I performed just the steps mentioned by 1miau in his topic) and I saw that my address was watch-only.

The users from the quoted topic seem to have user that parameter though. I can't offer the topic link, as those quotes were given by 1miau to me in that specific form... But I think they quotes are somewhere in this topic.

I'll give this program another try and I'll let you know how it works.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheArchaeologist

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2020, 01:52:01 PM

I'll give this program another try and I'll let you know how it works.
Ok, nice. And if you do run into problems can you make some screendumps from the steps you took? That would make it a lot easier to reproduce. Although I don't expect you to run into trouble this time since the -u parameter is no longer supported.

BASE16

Activity: 180
Merit: 38

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 01:52:27 PM

If such undesired results occur i would not call that method reliable or could term it even as being risky.
So its not a good idea to take that same route again once more.
In stead you can try other methods, or even roll your own script to mine for the correct vanity key's and address in a way that you understand what is going on and so as to prevent yourself from making these mistakes again.  Smiley
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 06:39:23 PM

Will this search for a prefix that is assigned to another coin. Vanitygen can do this with the -X command, which allows for prefix version. Does this have anything similar?
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 07:20:06 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2023, 08:01:08 AM by GazetaBitcoin

Ok, nice. And if you do run into problems can you make some screendumps from the steps you took? That would make it a lot easier to reproduce. Although I don't expect you to run into trouble this time since the -u parameter is no longer supported.

Ok, so I created a batch of legacy addresses with VanitySearch. I selected to import an address in Electrum. At this point, Electrum warned that the imported address is a watch-only type. After importing it, it is shown in Electrum and it has the status "receiving", which I don't know what it means. Maybe the address can only receive funds and not send funds?

Then I created a new wallet in Electrum. It generated a list of addresses which had two types: "receiving" and "change" (I don't know what represents the "change" type). What's certain is that the generated addresses had two types and that in this case, Electrum didn't warn about having a watch-only address.

You can see more details in the picture below.

Regarding the -u parameter  it still exists in VanitySearch. I don't know if it is still functional, but it is still displayed when you run the program (with -h parameter, for seeing all available commands).

Besides, I did not see any option for creating Nested SegWit addresses... Huh Edit: it works!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WanderingPhilospher

Activity: 1064
Merit: 219

Shooters Shoot...

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 07:58:17 AM

Ok, so I created a batch of legacy addresses with VanitySearch. I selected to import an address in Electrum. At this point, Electrum warned that the imported address is a watch-only type. After importing it, it is shown in Electrum and it has the status "receiving", which I don't know what it means. Maybe the address can only receive funds and not send funds?

Then I created a new wallet in Electrum. It generated a list of addresses which had two types: "receiving" and "change" (I don't know what represents the "change" type). What's certain is that the generated addresses had two types and that in this case, Electrum didn't warn about having a watch-only address.

Regarding the -u parameter  it still exists in VanitySearch. I don't know if it is still functional, but it is still displayed when you run the program (with -h parameter, for seeing all available commands).

Besides, I did not see any option for creating Nested SegWit addresses... Huh

Soooo are you using VanitySearch by JeanLuc or some variation of vanitygen??!!

Also, I've never added the P2PKH: part when importing a wallet via private key; just the private key, starting with L or K. It's almost like saying it's not a valid private key and making it watch only; like if you add an address without the private key.
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 08:08:32 AM

Also, I've never added the P2PKH: part when importing a wallet via private key; just the private key, starting with L or K. It's almost like saying it's not a valid private key and making it watch only; like if you add an address without the private key.

Lol I thought it' obvious that since I'm writing in Jean_Luc's topic it means I'm using his program.

Regarding the P2PKH part: it's the same if you write this or if you write only the private key. When that Electrum windows opens (the one where you insert the address, no matter if you insert the public key, the private key or the private key with the P2PKH part) it says from the beginning that the address will be a watch-only one. So after you reach that Electrum window, without inserting any address there, you'll see the warning about having a watch-only address. As far as I understand, it's something related to Electrum, not to VanitySearch. But still, it means you can't spend funds if you send them to that address, since it is a watch-only address.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheArchaeologist

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2020, 08:20:43 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2020, 08:43:26 AM by TheArchaeologist
Merited by vapourminer (1), nc50lc (1)

Regarding the -u parameter  it still exists in VanitySearch. I don't know if it is still functional, but it is still displayed when you run the program (with -h parameter, for seeing all available commands).

Besides, I did not see any option for creating Nested SegWit addresses... Huh

Thank you for the detailed information.

First of all regarding the picture labeled 3: All Electrum is saying when you enter an address to import, instead of a private key, it will be watch only. The message itself is valid for any address since you don't import the private key there is no way Electrum can use the address for spending. So regarding your first sentence in the quote above: Electrum gave a general warning on importing addresses instead of private keys. This has nothing to do with you entering a valid WIF for a private key. The import went fine and you can use the address like normal.

On to the next one: You created a new wallet and now you get a bunch of addresses. That is exactly what's expected. A wallet is simply a collection of private keys (which lead to addresses). When you create a new wallet a bunch of addresses will be allocated in that wallet. The Change-addresses are the addresses that will be used to send any left-overs to when the inputs of a transaction exceeds the outputs and fee. In short: In the first step you imported a single address, since your wallet was brand new it now only contains that single address. In the step pictured in image 5 you create a new wallet from scratch including a great number of addresses.

Regarding -u parameter: Edit: It is still there in latest version 1.18. But how did you create a 3-address using VanitySearch and -u parameter in the first place?

And finally: If you look at screenshot numbered 6 there is a "Info" button. If you press it you can see you can import a nested segwit address using "p2wpkh-p2sh:WIF"

TheArchaeologist

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2020, 08:24:02 AM

Regarding the P2PKH part: it's the same if you write this or if you write only the private key. When that Electrum windows opens (the one where you insert the address, no matter if you insert the public key, the private key or the private key with the P2PKH part) it says from the beginning that the address will be a watch-only one. So after you reach that Electrum window, without inserting any address there, you'll see the warning about having a watch-only address. As far as I understand, it's something related to Electrum, not to VanitySearch. But still, it means you can't spend funds if you send them to that address, since it is a watch-only address.
Sorry but this is simply not true. You are misreading the message Electrum presents to you. As stated in my post above as well: Electrum warns you about the fact when you use the form to enter an address it will be watch-only by default. That's all, there is no bigger conspiracy here Smiley

GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 11:52:36 AM

how did you create a 3-address using VanitySearch and -u parameter in the first place?

So, for the fifth time Smiley I never created an address using -u parameter. This happened to 1miau and to other members which also lost funds after creating an address with this parameter, funding it with BTC, importing it into Electrum and trying to spend the funds. This never happened to me and I stated that yesterday four times (here (1), here (2), here (3) and here (4). My only problem was with the watch-only address.

Regarding the creation of nested addresses using VanitySearch (addresses starting with 3), you can use this syntax: vanitysearch.exe -stop -o save.txt 3FERY. The program can be used also for generating native SegWit addresses (you can find more info here: [GUIDE] How To Create Vanity Address (Segwit).

And finally: If you look at screenshot numbered 6 there is a "Info" button. If you press it you can see you can import a nested segwit address using "p2wpkh-p2sh:WIF"

Yes, I knew that, but thanks for pointing it out Smiley

Electrum warns you about the fact when you use the form to enter an address it will be watch-only by default. That's all, there is no bigger conspiracy here Smiley

Roger that. So the address is watch-only just in case you insert the public key. If you insert the private key, you can use the funds. Well, it sounds good in theory, but I'm waiting someone to confirm that he sent funds to a vanity address, then he imported it in Electrum, he sent funds to it and afterwards he was able to spend funds from it Smiley I won't take this risk.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WanderingPhilospher

Shooters Shoot...

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 02:17:52 PM

Lol I thought it' obvious that since I'm writing in Jean_Luc's topic it means I'm using his program.

Was merely asking since vanitygen was mentioned a few times in regards to your post and since the 1miau post was titled "How to create your customized Bitcoin-Address (vanitygen) – step by step".

I've never had an issues receiving sending spending eating any BTC from Electrum wallet using any Legacy address generated by vanitysearch, in which I had the private keys.
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 07:52:44 PM

Was merely asking since vanitygen was mentioned a few times in regards to your post and since the 1miau post was titled "How to create your customized Bitcoin-Address (vanitygen) – step by step".

Oh, I see. Well, yes, I was using VanitySearch. Also, if you read the entire topic of 1miau (the one about VanityGen), you'll see that at the end he also mentions about VanitySearch Smiley

I've never had an issues receiving sending spending eating any BTC from Electrum wallet using any Legacy address generated by vanitysearch, in which I had the private keys.

Thank you for the confirmation. I'd like to see though if there are users which generated nested and native SegWit addresses with VanitySearch. Meaning that I'd like to know if they were able to spend funds from these addresses (the ones starting with 3 and bc1).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WanderingPhilospher

Shooters Shoot...

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 09:40:55 PM

Also, if you read the entire topic of 1miau (the one about VanityGen), you'll see that at the end he also mentions about VanitySearch Smiley
Just as you mentioned not wanting to read 37 pages of this topic, I myself did not want to read a step by step guide on something I already knew how to do. Others mentioned vanitygen as well. All good.

I understand the concerns...no one wants to lose money by doing something someone has already done. No doubt. Maybe if someone has "lost" money via this way, they can chime in.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  

Jump to: