Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:39:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070068 times)
BitRock

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:51:42 AM

Web archives of bytecoin.org between March 4, 2013 and February 25, 2014 are listed below.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130304080736/http://bytecoin.org/

http://web.archive.org/web/20130509175312/http://bytecoin.org/

http://web.archive.org/web/20140225123108/http://bytecoin.org/

3LEM3NT

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:23:38 AM

Is this the bytecoin on coinmarketcap?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:24:35 AM

1. Write an entirely new cryptocurrency from scratch, incorporating an unknown (at the time) but rather brilliant cryptographic technology to secure privacy, all for the purpose of pre-mining the coin for 2 years.

We can't verify the claim that any of this happened two years ago. The earliest existence we can verify is a few months ago.

If you want to restate your claim based solely on verifiable facts, then we can address it.

BTW, ring signatures are 15 years old and Diffie-Hellman is even older. There is no new or unknown cryptography here, although that makes the actual coin more innovative (and also more trustworthy), not less. The same can be said about bitcoin.

EDIT: Speaking of the spreadsheet, you've made numerous BCN sales to people (myself included). We assume that you mined your BCN, but nobody really knows how you're acquiring it. Additionally, nobody knows what I did with the BCN I bought from you. The mere fact that we are trading it for valuable currency means that it does have value, and other folks can easily be doing the same thing.

It is apparently becoming valuable now, I agree. That is only because of the substrate that is being built here. An unknown coin is a worthless coin, and as I said, there is no large deep web economy based on this coin. The very concept is impossible, but even if it weren't you can infer the value of the coin (and therefore infer a lot about the value of its economy) from the hash rate in the block chain, and both are extremely low.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:49:31 AM

Ring signatures are not new. I didnt claim they were. I'm saying cryptonote is an applied concept and BCN is the first working anonymous cryptocurrency. Even if BCN was released yesterday, they'd have already acheived more than any of the other "anonymous" cryptos have been able to.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:56:18 AM

Ring signatures are not new. I didnt claim they were. I'm saying cryptonote is an applied concept and BCN is the first working anonymous cryptocurrency. Even if BCN was released yesterday, they'd have already acheived more than any of the other "anonymous" cryptos have been able to.

It isn't really that different from coins with distributed mixers and not reusing addresses. I don't really follow blackcoin, but doesn't it do that?

I find "anonymous" to be a vague term and not very useful. Different systems have different properties as to what information is disclosed and to whom. How that translated to "anonymous" often depends on how it is used and what "anonymous" is taken to mean.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:12:38 AM

It isn't really that different from coins with distributed mixers and not reusing addresses. I don't really follow blackcoin, but doesn't it do that?

I find "anonymous" to be a vague term and not very useful. Different systems have different properties as to what information is disclosed and to whom. How that translated to "anonymous" often depends on how it is used and what "anonymous" is taken to mean.

It's very different in the fact that with other cryptos, any coin that enters an address must also be spent from that same address. All definitions aside, BCN is still the most "private" coin currently available.  Are you just playing devil's advocate, or are you actually suggesting cryptonote to be no different than not reusing addresses?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:21:53 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 03:44:19 AM by smooth

It's very different in the fact that with other cryptos, any coin that enters an address must also be spent from that same address.

That's not true with mixing. The coin goes into the mixer and there is no way to tell whether what comes out represents spending (and where or for what) or just being sent back to another address controlled by the same owner.

All definitions aside, BCN is still the most "private" coin currently available.  Are you just playing devil's advocate, or are you actually suggesting cryptonote to be no different than not reusing addresses?

I never said it is the same as not reusing addresses. I said it is very nearly the same as distributed mixing and not reusing addresses. Both are required.

Don't get me wrong, I think BCN is very well designed and delivers on its promises. I don't think its the only coin to do that, at least if my understanding of coins with distributed mixers is correct, which it may not be (at least not in their current state).

Naka

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:35:38 AM

who ever holds more bytecoin maybe relevant or irrelevant.  Depends on the nature of the substrate I would think.

We have no idea what the substrate is, if there even is one. With regard to the bytecoin development community, so far I've seen one fix from monero get pulled back to bytecoin, and little if anything going in the other direction. If there are stores, exchanges, etc. for bytecoin, then let's hear about that. Failing that, there is no substrate. It is all a mirage.

But like you I am mining both and taking a wait and see attitude. I think monero has just a whole lot more legitimacy and transparency at this point, and that counts for a lot. Just the fake cicada 3301 references are enough to convince me there is an element of scam to bytecoin, but those could possibly done by someone with no real connection, so we can't be sure. It smells bad though.

If bytecoin is a scam, then it's a damn elaborate (and frankly, elegant) one. More likely BCN is a very distributed network that "smells bad" not because of suspicious "premine" activity, but because of the nature of its usage. The developers know that an anonymous currency such as BCN must first succeed in the markets where it is necessary. That is why they are so secretive. They do not want to be linked to the abhorrently evil shit that BCN is used for on the deep web (and you know exactly what I'm taking about).
It sounds like you're talking about the "deep web" while not knowing how it works. BCN has not been used on the deep web in any such elaborate way. The only thing secret about the deep web is the identity of its users.

You give two choices, asking which is most likely:
1. Write an entirely new cryptocurrency from scratch, incorporating an unknown (at the time) but rather brilliant cryptographic technology to secure privacy, all for the purpose of pre-mining the coin for 2 years.
2. Knowing that your product will fill a much needed demand in a very questionable market and choosing to remain anonymous and not promote it until the network is very secure.
The most likely choice is #3: It has been mined for 2 years for testing and development purposes. BCN was certainly near-worthless during this time.

While this may not be a "scam" on purpose, it might as well be one from our perspective. If something is able to remain hidden from the inevitable indexing by deep-web and clear-web search engines, the distribution of the currency's probably suboptimal.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:03:10 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 06:04:54 AM by smooth

It sounds like you're talking about the "deep web" while not knowing how it works. BCN has not been used on the deep web in any such elaborate way. The only thing secret about the deep web is the identity of its users.

Exactly. This whole deep web, cicada 3301 connection is pure marketing.

Which brings me to "Bytecoin high level API formalized. All the services and stores are strongly recommended to migrate to it" on the web site.

Now given that as you explained above there are not likely to be "stores and services" in existence on the deep web or otherwise, the only reasonable explanation for this statement is that it is intended to falsely convey the impression that there are stores and services.

Once you start to see such clear intent to deceive, it is reasonable to ask how far the deception goes.

While this may not be a "scam" on purpose

At least some aspects of the scam were on purpose.

This is pure speculation but my guess is that the cryptonote people wanted nothing to do with the scam but still wanted to release the technology, so they parted ways with the bytecode people. This further calls into question the claimed 2 year life span.

mdegreffe

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:40:46 AM

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, i'm new here Smiley

I downloaded the "newbie bundle" from the site -> started bytecoind -> opened wallet and it seems it's not working. "Daemon is busy" is all i see. Any help or directions?
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:57:39 AM

I downloaded the "newbie bundle" from the site -> started bytecoind -> opened wallet and it seems it's not working. "Daemon is busy" is all i see. Any help or directions?

the daemon is downloading the blockchain be patient  Wink

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
mdegreffe

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:01:12 AM

Ehm... and how can i check that?
mdegreffe

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:03:49 AM

Okay, "help" helped me Smiley nevermind the last question. 
mdegreffe

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:13:24 AM

How can i check how long will it take to fully download the blockchain?
huahua520

Activity: 151

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:14:00 AM

Why is there no windows wallet? Huh

Other methods too difficult, is to mining, not to learn the operation.

Let's color the MOON:YBA46bGEPE3tAp45Rw2quBo34uB4EQeDcC
knightcoin

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:18:57 AM

check your folder %appdata% for bytecoin ... the file called blockchain.bit should get bigger ey time you refresh it

knightcoin

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:21:54 AM

Why is there no windows wallet? Huh

Other methods too difficult, is to mining, not to learn the operation.

the wallet is command line only, devs are working on GUI, I guess ... just start simplewallet.exe then type help

mdegreffe

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:31:06 AM

the daemon is downloading the blockchain be patient  Wink

check your folder %appdata% for bytecoin ... the file called blockchain.bit should get bigger ey time you refresh it

Yep, thank you, all good, what is the end size?
matej krkic

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:51:45 AM

My blockchain is 2,2 Gb
mdegreffe

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:25:48 AM

My blockchain is 2,2 Gb

I guess "SYNCHRONIZED OK" is the end state. 2.2GB indeed. Thank you all for help - wallet is syncing too. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: