Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:10:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: mtgox requires physical identification  (Read 10158 times)
Mt.Gox_Natalie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:30:09 AM

one conspiratorial minded person (namely, me)

I have one more conpiracy idea - the summer rise of bitcoins was caused by the CIA funding.
Now they want to track their dollars, which flow out of MtGOX.

If you want to transact with real world cash

I entered BTC, and I want to withdraw BTC.

Actually I was needed ~400 BTC for a project, but I already miss the opportunity, because all shares (FPGA.contract) was sold out...

Hello,

Our AML team has reviewed your documents and they have been approved.  Our sincerest apologies for the delay and frustration caused.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 02:58:05 AM

and another happy Gox user finally gets something resolved in public

I dodge Gox as a preference because they don't inspire any real confidence, especially since their hack fiasco.  I didn't lose funds or coin, but the delay in transferring money around just smelled too much like they have an underlying problem that I don't want to be victim of.  Yes, I did lose 3BTC  when they did the BitPLN acquisition because their system could work out the difference between accounts, and they play favourites for some of their users, but they are making some money and if they wanted to abscond with a huge amount of coin, it would crash the value immediately - they'd have to take the cash and that would be real crime.  But while this is still wild-west, lawless trading and there are no accounts/records or protections, people lose sometimes.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:53:24 AM

In a way of the biggest bitcoin exchange "mtgox requires physical identification"...while one of the main points of Bitcoin is total privacy :-/

You guys need to get over this. Seriously. If you want to transact with real world cash, you are going to have to follow real world rules. And one of the main points of Bitcoin is not total privacy, it is pseudo-anonymity. There is a difference, and it's fairly big.

Mt.Gox may have been far from perfect in handling this situation, but it is a growing pain of a totally new economy. It will become easier to convert BTC/USD/other in the future if Bitcoin increases in popularity. You gotta roll with the punches for now and allow Mt.Gox to work better at streamlining this process so other people in the future can benefit from those growing pains.

People also need to understand that the exchanges are not Bitcoin itself.  In a peer-to-peer situation Bitcoin can offer pseudo-anonymity - that doesn't mean the exchanges can legally offer that (and I'm quite sure that none of them want to get shut down for offering it illegally).  The exchanges should certainly be offering privacy, which means only disclosing user information when required to do so by law - AML laws require them to collect that information and privacy laws prevent them from disclosing it without legal cause. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ArsenShnurkov (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 05:42:37 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2011, 06:06:43 AM by ArsenShnurkov

disclosing user information when required to do so by law - AML laws require them to collect that information

I decide to upgrade to "trusted" status:

I sent them documents physically to obtain "Trusted status":

(Note, that post office index was written properly)

The post said that it delivered:

And I asked them to increase limits to the level of "Trusted" account:

Within 5 days (as they promised)

I received no response.

Today I also send the request to support (but earlier thay said that they are not an AML team and will not answer for it)
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

Does a passport not count as a residency certificate? I understand the need for security but this is just getting obnoxious. I can get a job, buy a house, move to another country, or do just about anything else with a passport but not open an account with Mt. Gox.
When you are moving to another country or getting a job, the officer can look at the picture and check if it's your passport or not.
Mtgox can't do that. Possibly that's the reason...

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
Mt.Gox_Natalie

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:25:20 AM

disclosing user information when required to do so by law - AML laws require them to collect that information

I decide to upgrade to "trusted" status:

I sent them documents physically to obtain "Trusted status":

(Note, that post office index was written properly)

The post said that it delivered:

And I asked them to increase limits to the level of "Trusted" account:

Within 5 days (as they promised)

I received no response.

Today I also send the request to support (but earlier thay said that they are not an AML team and will not answer for it)

Hello,

We see that your account has been upgraded to a Trusted Status.  If you require any further assistance, please feel free to send us a ticket at the Support Desk and we will do our best to address your issue.
Mt.Gox_Natalie

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 02:33:11 AM

Hi all,

Here's my experience with Mt. Gox so far. I tried to go through the verification process before sending any money to Mt. Gox. I send a color scan of my US passport and it was rejected for the following reason.

We regret to inform you that the identification documentation you have submitted has been reviewed, and your request has been temporarily denied.

Reasons(s)

No utility bill or residency certificate has been provided with this application.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but it would be greatly appreciated if you resubmit the requested clarification(s) above.

Otherwise, if you would like to make further enquiries in relation to this, please do not hesitate to contact Mt.Gox Support.

Does a passport not count as a residency certificate? I understand the need for security but this is just getting obnoxious. I can get a job, buy a house, move to another country, or do just about anything else with a passport but not open an account with Mt. Gox.

Your proof of residence should be a document that includes your name and address which was issued within the last 3 months.  Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: