Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:59:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitcoinSpinner  (Read 45010 times)
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:07:35 PM

This is really bad if I for some reason choose to discontinue the BCCAPI server…
Maybe a dumb question, but will it be possible to switch servers from within the bitcoin spinner app? Or even better, specify a set of independent servers, which all are just a synced copy of the same data, and it doesn't matter if one goes down? I don't know all the details, maybe that's not possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 07:38:28 AM

i use Spinner on an Android.  can i be confident you will push updates to me as they come out?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 11:44:37 AM

This is really bad if I for some reason choose to discontinue the BCCAPI server…
Maybe a dumb question, but will it be possible to switch servers from within the bitcoin spinner app? Or even better, specify a set of independent servers, which all are just a synced copy of the same data, and it doesn't matter if one goes down? I don't know all the details, maybe that's not possible.
Right now there are two servers running at Rackspace, one for the Bitcoin production network and one for the test network. Servers cost money, but if BitcoinSpinner catches on big time I will put up loadbalanced/redundant servers. Right now there are about 250 clients installed out there, and rarely more than a handful running. At the current usage the servers have absolutely no problem keeping up.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 11:48:11 AM

i use Spinner on an Android.  can i be confident you will push updates to me as they come out?
Yes. Whenever there is an update it will be available on the Android Market, so you just have to update the app on your device. I'll also post on this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53353.0

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 08:44:00 PM

Jan, it would be awesome to have the BitcoinSpinner as a native iPhone app.  Apple has now opened the door to bitcoin wallets with Bitpak, but that app sucks.  I can tell you that from what I see here in the US, everyone (and i mean everyone) has an iPhone.  Androids are rare amongst the non-hacker crowd.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 09:02:37 PM

Jan, it would be awesome to have the BitcoinSpinner as a native iPhone app.  Apple has now opened the door to bitcoin wallets with Bitpak, but that app sucks.  I can tell you that from what I see here in the US, everyone (and i mean everyone) has an iPhone.  Androids are rare amongst the non-hacker crowd.
You are right and I totally agree.
Apple accepting Bitcoin clients apps is really big news. However, I have no experience with iPhone apps. My domain is more Java'ish and crypto stuff. My hope is that someone in our community with iPhone dev experience takes up the challenge of porting BitcoinSpinner to iPhone. I am willing to help in any way I can.

fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:21:49 PM

dont let your personal experience fool you.
market share by OS q2 2011:

doesnt mean iphones are not important, but the priority should clearly be android. since in general android phones are cheaper they will continue to spread faster.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 10:33:09 PM

fornit I've seen the charts but I honestly don't believe it.  I see Apple everywhere when I walk around.  When I look at the site statistics of people visiting my website from their mobile phone, here's exactly the stats we see:

fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:45:09 PM

the statistic i posted was sales, not phones in existence.
even if iphones are still much more common in the usa, i am pretty sure this will change over the next few years. anyway, i agree that it would be good to have an iphone version of bitcoinspinner. its clearly the best application for mobile devices right now. bitpak is absolutely no alternative.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 12:35:18 AM

fornit I've seen the charts but I honestly don't believe it.  I see Apple everywhere when I walk around.  When I look at the site statistics of people visiting my website from their mobile phone, here's exactly the stats we see:

yeah, but the types of ppl you walk around and visiting your website are all Hotties  Wink  they all use iPhones.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:42:44 AM

I imagine Apple users are desperately looking for an alternative way to pay to avoid exorbitant fees.

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 03:15:39 AM

yeah, but the types of ppl you walk around and visiting your website are all Hotties  Wink  they all use iPhones.

ah, yeah you got a point there...Cheesy

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:12:08 AM

+1

dont let your personal experience fool you.
market share by OS q2 2011:

doesnt mean iphones are not important, but the priority should clearly be android. since in general android phones are cheaper they will continue to spread faster.

Agree mostly. Sales stats are misleading. I've sold/repaired phones for 7 years. Free and cheap (price wise) phones like many Android models are damaged and lost more often, and replaced, adding to sales numbers.  More expensive (not necessarily better) models like iPhones are usually better kept and repaired vs replaced.  Usage data like Bit-pays are generally more accurate.  Either way iOS needs an app and Bitpak is not it.  And don't forget Apple users tend to spend more per device on phones/apps/rate plans - though Apple does take a nice cut of that.  It would be great to have the same app on both OS's and see sales/use data.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:32:52 PM

BitcoinSpinner (BCCAPI) works for me, so I have the ancient 20 BTC Android bounty to pay. The client program crashes frequently, and takes long to initialize at times, but it serves its purpose and I've not had any serious issues.

That said, 15 BTC are going to BCCAPI. It's funny the donation address is not shown as QR code on the page, I had to mail it to myself and paste it into BitcoinSpinner. Tongue

That means I should send at least 5 BTC to the BitcoinSpinner developers, but I didn't find a donation address. Do they have one? Huh
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:34:30 PM

The client program crashes frequently, and takes long to initialize at times, but it serves its purpose and I've not had any serious issues.
This is my experience too.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 08:29:01 PM

BitcoinSpinner (BCCAPI) works for me, so I have the ancient 20 BTC Android bounty to pay. The client program crashes frequently, and takes long to initialize at times, but it serves its purpose and I've not had any serious issues.

That said, 15 BTC are going to BCCAPI. It's funny the donation address is not shown as QR code on the page, I had to mail it to myself and paste it into BitcoinSpinner. Tongue

That means I should send at least 5 BTC to the BitcoinSpinner developers, but I didn't find a donation address. Do they have one? Huh
Thank you for the 15 BTC!

Not having the donation address as a QR-code is a blunder on my behalf. The BCCAPI page has been updated with one.

The BitcoinSpinner developer is not very active on this forum, but he has included a donation in his signature. Here is a sample: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52674.msg644862#msg644862

An update (v0.4) is in the pipe, which changes BitcoinSpinner's backend communication to the server. This should remove crash issues. I expect the update to go out tomorrow. I also experience that it takes long time to initialize at times, especially when my device has been idle for some time. I think the reason is that the device has to fire up its wi-fi, and this takes time. The good news is that the next version allows you to start up without a network connection, and see your "old" balance. This also means that you can backup/restore/export your private key when in off-line mode.

The reason why it sometimes takes long time to initialize something I also experience if

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 10:57:05 PM

This is awesome, I got it to work on my android modded HP touchpad, unfortunately the camera doesn't work with android installed, so I can't scan qr codes

But on the plus side I can make HUGE qr codes, heres a photo with a floppy disk for comparison

hi
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:08:38 PM

The BitcoinSpinner developer is not very active on this forum, but he has included a donation in his signature. Here is a sample: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52674.msg644862#msg644862

Ah, okay. Sending 6 BTC. The app crashed on first start attempt when I tried to send the coins, so I only tipped 1 BTC on top. Expensive crash. Tongue
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 03:20:52 PM

Ah, okay. Sending 6 BTC. The app crashed on first start attempt when I tried to send the coins, so I only tipped 1 BTC on top. Expensive crash. Tongue

Fortunately I have good news. Just before Christmas I joined the BitcoinSpinner dev team. Previously I was (just) making the BCCAPI, and during the holidays I gave BitcoinSpinner a major swing. This should greatly improve user experience with no or poor network connectivity.
Please upgrade to the latest version (0.4b) on the Android Market place.
More details on new features here: BitcoinSpinner in the Alternative Clients section

suntsu

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 04:05:55 PM

Great job. Very well done. +1 for an iPhone client.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: