Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ✠ The Official AltCoin WhiteList ➢ For Real Coins☆With Real Devs☆With Real Goals  (Read 8554 times)
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 02:35:11 PM

Mintcoin should be whitelisted.

1.It has has been set up as a legal fund (like a foundation).
2. We have developed over 25 markets for the coin.
2. Great community support
4. Active development. Will work on android app that is compatible with PoS, which is a significant technical hurdle and innovation.
+1
Hopefully that is sufficient grounds to view mintcoin as a legitimate cryptocurrency and get it whitelisted.

BTW I think the whitelist is a significant development for the altcoin community and a good idea.
Remove the word 'Official' since there's nothing even remotely authentic or official about this list. It's a freely contributed forum thread and not official in any sense of the word.
agreed, good point
Replace "official" with "reference". Official carries a certain weight (including warranty) that reference doesn't. And everyone's happy.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
majorminers

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:38:27 PM

Remove the word 'Official' since there's nothing even remotely authentic or official about this list. It's a freely contributed forum thread and not official in any sense of the word.
agreed, good point
Replace "official" with "reference". Official carries a certain weight (including warranty) that reference doesn't. And everyone's happy.
[/quote]

You got it. It's safe to say many forum posters here routinely overstep their authority in every sense of the word.

If someone's going to make a thread and decide which coins (like 2 day old IPO Pawncoin) are 'whitelisted' they should at least be somewhat sincere and not misleading.

Otherwise this could quickly be labeled another 'scam' thread started by 'scammers' to mislead people and direct investment to a short-list of 'chosen' coins. Of course these coins will have been chosen for their direct financial reward of those making the list.

Kartoff

Activity: 187

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:39:58 PM

Good effort OP.

Obviously whitelist: Darkcoin and Anoncoin

Reasons for both: active devs, active community, trying to innovate with new privacy and security features

* Darkcoin has invented a new hashing algo that fixes problems KGW. DGW is now being copied by other coins.
* Darkcoin uses x11 hashing which uses 30%-50% less power than scrypt while being effective and simple to deploy.  This is now being copied by other coins.
* Darkcoin is maintaing an anti-asic stance and a focus on decentralization. Even Adam Back whose hashcash is used in the Satoshi paper is worried about bitcoin centralisation and the ease with which governments can now get court orders and impact the bitcoin network.
* Darkcoin is implementing DarkSend which is anonymity from the blockchain from within the wallet. The average person will be able to send payments without their details being linked to transactions next week, next year or 20 years from now.
* Darkcoin miners are mining and keeping their coins, not mining and trading them in for bitcoin.
* Darkcoin is making all its improvements open source and other alt-coins are now starting to follow its lead.
* Darkcoin wants to enable all other coins to interact with its anonymity features, it doesn't want to compete with them. Darkcoin is a catalyst.

Which bit of the above doesn't merit attention?

Actually, as a darkcoin miner, I'd rather you didn't put it on the list just yet. That is what you would call the anti pump-n-dump supporter.

+75
Benezivas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:42:09 PM

I don't fancy quark either, but please give the blacklisting a better reasoning.

The main point of critique is actually the instamine and the ridiculous fast block halving after about a month, if I remember correctly. The coin was designed to give the people that heard early enough about it a huge mining advantage and then proceeded to pump the coin when the coin was almost fully mined after only 6 months. This is not an attempt to design a widely-spread and adaptable cryptocurrency. I am not hating against the coin design itself, just the mining aspect which is just mad.
mcphervi

Activity: 359

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:46:51 PM

I don't fancy quark either, but please give the blacklisting a better reasoning.

The main point of critique is actually the instamine and the ridiculous fast block halving after about a month, if I remember correctly. The coin was designed to give the people that heard early enough about it a huge mining advantage and then proceeded to pump the coin when the coin was almost fully mined after only 6 months. This is not an attempt to design a widely-spread and adaptable cryptocurrency. I am not hating against the coin design itself, just the mining aspect which is just mad.

Quark is cheap right now - you can easily mine anything else and convert to it.... Just because direct mining isn't as profitable these days doesn't mean its inaccessible! Also, again - low number of new Quark/day means a cheap cost to maintain coin valuation.

Vic
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Not a very accurate list
In fact looks more like a noobee's bagholdings  Roll Eyes
Where's Darkcoin and Megacoin?
2 of the best Devs and coins without a doubt.
Others TEK and HBN. TEK dev made HBN btw.
Your gridcoin is very much a copy of ripple so u would need ripple there.
Einsteinium I would much prefer over gridcoin.
Not sure your reason for zetacoin is viable.
Goldcoin is no way deserving to be anywhere near this list at all.
TIPS? Lol
Popular coin? see above.
blueangel01

Activity: 406

Hello! Send me a message.

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:02:46 PM

Everybody have their opinion of what is good and what is bad. I would just let the market decide of what is valuable and what is not. Most pump and dump coin ends up in low volume of less than 1 btc trading a day.

Msg me if you want me to put anything here.
paulsonnumismatics

Activity: 265

Honni Soit Qui Mal i Pense

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:13:33 PM

Mi votes up for Dogecoin (already white) and Mintcoin.
Serious developers, mature community; both in Moolah.io payments/storefront/exchange system.
Both developing a Fundation/Fund like Bitcoin, with clear and specific targets.
Im user of both and im happy with both. Consider this post a "like" in facebook terms, or a +1 in ebay terms hehe.

This space is for lease, apparently.
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:25:40 PM

This list is such a silly idea. All you have to do is look at any coin recommendation threads here, or threads about coins to invest in, and see what happens. You get a million diverse opinions, very few valid ones, and mostly positive comments about coins that the person posting just happens to own.

Mr. Gabu

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:38:42 PM

No, this thread is a good idea. GTFO if you do not like it.
Dimelord

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:22:26 PM

You guys seen Dimecoin? Im the new dev. In the past week we were added to https://bittrex.com/ and are about to be on ex-crypto.com! Check out our thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=446388.0
shtako

Activity: 779
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:25:38 PM

This is the most worthless and misleading thread ever.  Smiley
lixxy

Activity: 72

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:45:25 PM

Darkcoin needs to be on the Whitelist for sure, if anything, in my opinion it is the #1 Altcoin that deserves to be on the whitelist, for the following reason:

- Features for increased anonymity (Darksend)
- Different algorithm which is ASIC resistant, gives a higher hashrate and uses less power
- One of the best devs I've seen in the crypto world

Also, I am not sure about some of the coins on the Whitelist, for example GPUCoin... I witnessed the launch and nothing worked. Did they recover from that or relaunch?

PS:
Any country coin should instantly be put on blacklist, it is the current scamming scheme of crypto, they will do it with every country until they are all used up and then think of a new scamming scheme
poornamelessme

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:46:54 PM

PS:
Any country coin should instantly be put on blacklist, it is the current scamming scheme of crypto, they will do it with every country until they are all used up and then think of a new scamming scheme

And what if said country coin pays out coins to the people they say they will? Some already have, or have feasible plans to do so.
lixxy

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

PS:

And what if said country coin pays out coins to the people they say they will? Some already have, or have feasible plans to do so.

That doesn't even make a difference. You can't just go look at the world map, pick a country that has a bad economy, and be like "hey, let's make a coin for that country!". They are democracies. 99,9% don't even want a cryptocurrency, hell, most people don't even KNOW cryptocurrencies, you can't just force it down their throats. If anything, a country coin should get started by an organisation in the country itself, and backed up by the people with a democratic vote on an internet site or something.

How would you feel if I came to your town, claiming I am a dev, with a bag of colored rocks, and I spread the colored stones between everyone and tell them to use them as a currency? Because that's how it's like for almost every citizen of all these country coins.

People are abusing the economic weakness of certain countries to scam two kinds of people, pump and dump bagholders who join with the intent of making a profit but end up holding the bag, and the 0,000001% of people who are from that country and hope for the better, but still end up with a failure and lose even more money even though they are already poor.
Dimelord

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:11:06 PM

Can we blacklist Delete coin? They are intentionally targeting Dimecoin. MY PROJECT!!!!!!!!  Angry Angry Angry
poornamelessme

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:14:12 PM

That doesn't even make a difference. You can't just go look at the world map, pick a country that has a bad economy, and be like "hey, let's make a coin for that country!". They are democracies. 99,9% don't even want a cryptocurrency, hell, most people don't even KNOW cryptocurrencies, you can't just force it down their throats. If anything, a country coin should get started by an organisation in the country itself, and backed up by the people with a democratic vote on an internet site or something.

How would you feel if I came to your town, claiming I am a dev, with a bag of colored rocks, and I spread the colored stones between everyone and tell them to use them as a currency? Because that's how it's like for almost every citizen of all these country coins.

People are abusing the economic weakness of certain countries to scam two kinds of people, pump and dump bagholders who join with the intent of making a profit but end up holding the bag, and the 0,000001% of people who are from that country and hope for the better, but still end up with a failure and lose even more money even though they are already poor.

To a certain degree I agree with you. I don't believe many (or any) nation coins will really catch on or make a big difference. I differ with your definition of a scam though.

If a dev makes a nation coin, promises a certain amount of coins to said population, then delivers ... it's not a scam.

If a dev came to my town with colored rocks, said to use them as currency, and told me I could cash them in for real currency, I'd happily take them. And then cash them in. Of course as more people do this, their value will go down. But it's still free currency. Personally I believe devs have a right to make whatever coins they want, so long as they are upfront with how they plan to give them away, and deliver. And not all nation coins are abusing economic weaknesses of certain countries ... HongKong Coin and Silicon Valley (which really aren't nations, but they sort of get lumped into the same class of coins), certainly aren't economically weak.
lixxy

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:42:11 PM

But isn't the point of a CryptoCURRENCY to be used as a currency? If the coins get delivered, that's nice and everything is good up to that point. But then the coins get sold by the citizens for their country's fiat, and that isn't doing anything to help their situation. In fact, they are just hurting their economy even more by bringing (soon to be worthless) digits into their country, and "steal" some fiat money from other people who buy it hoping that it can change the bad state of their economy long-term.

For me to consider a countrycoin as legit and not a scam is when the people launching it are going to long-term support the citizens of the country to actively use it as a currency. Work on projects  (with the help of the devs), try to offer goods and services for it. Not just give it to them and tell them to sell it so they can have some extra pocket money, and then that's the end of the project for the devs? And the citizens will be left with a soon-to-be-nothing in their hands. Sure, I get your point, it is still free money and noone (except bagholders) is losing any money, but... if a dev is "claiming the name" of a country and making a country coin with it, he/they should have the dignity to treat it for more than that. After all, the devs make a lot of money with this because they can dump as they see fit. They should have connections to non-governmental organizations, official, public engagement with the citizens over the internet, a ton of translators etc...

tl;dr country coins should aim to help a country and not be treated as pump and dump; they are abusing the name/economic state of the country to launch a project for quick profit, bringing false hopes for some citizens, which is scammy
poornamelessme

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:54:43 PM

But isn't the point of a CryptoCURRENCY to be used as a currency? If the coins get delivered, that's nice and everything is good up to that point. But then the coins get sold by the citizens for their country's fiat, and that isn't doing anything to help their situation. In fact, they are just hurting their economy even more by bringing (soon to be worthless) digits into their country, and "steal" some fiat money from other people who buy it hoping that it can change the bad state of their economy long-term.

For me to consider a countrycoin as legit and not a scam is when the people launching it are going to long-term support the citizens of the country to actively use it as a currency. Work on projects  (with the help of the devs), try to offer goods and services for it. Not just give it to them and tell them to sell it so they can have some extra pocket money, and then that's the end of the project for the devs? And the citizens will be left with a soon-to-be-nothing in their hands. Sure, I get your point, it is still free money and noone (except bagholders) is losing any money, but... if a dev is "claiming the name" of a country and making a country coin with it, he/they should have the dignity to treat it for more than that. After all, the devs make a lot of money with this because they can dump as they see fit. They should have connections to non-governmental organizations, official, public engagement with the citizens over the internet, a ton of translators etc...

tl;dr country coins should aim to help a country and not be treated as pump and dump; they are abusing the name/economic state of the country to launch a project for quick profit, bringing false hopes for some citizens, which is scammy

I can't disagree with most of your points, but when you think about it, what percentage of cryptos have a real chance of being used as a currency? Many don't even pretend to be used as a currency. I wouldn't call them scams. I'd call them really bad ideas, but not scams.

As for the nation coins, there are situations where some could possibly be used by the community. Maza, for instance ... not that I think the creators are doing a good job (quite the opposite), but it is possible that Indian groups could take it up. Payu certainly seems to be trying to get merchants to adopt it. There is also the possibility that a nation coin could be adopted after a giveaway, even if just small scale with a handful of local merchants.

If you ask me if this is likely... nope. And if you ask me if nation coins are a good idea, I'd say nope. But I wouldn't automatically blacklist all of them, thinking they are all automatically scams. I'm against this blacklist/shitcoin group thing to begin with, but there is a real danger in saying coins are definitely a scam, before a scam is even committed. It'd be like arresting someone who looks like a criminal, before a crime is committed.

I expect the nation coin fad will die out on its own, regardless, after several nation coins have a problem with their airdrops. Or a coin doesn't do an airdrop at all. I think common sense would indicate that very few of these coins will work out or are worth holding onto longterm.
Mk2vr6

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:03:47 PM

So you started the thread just to add PopularCoin to the list?

Yet Doge which was monumental in what it achieved doesn't make the cut?

Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: