Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:19:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you consider Ratimov a plagiarist?
Yes, his excuses are ridiculous
No, only 10% of unique content is published here

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit Source - Plagiarist  (Read 5246 times)
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 08:52:13 PM

I just wonder why this type of attacks begun after the user joined the ChipMixer campaign? And he has been here for a while. Just a strange coincidence, isn't it?
BTW, every case is considered by the mods individually and if the person is not a regular shitposter but has dedicated a lot of time and effort to make this place better ,like Ratimov is doing,those cases are going to thymos and often he evaluate the punishmen if there should be any at all.
If we do not hear from theymos, and that's what is going to happen here, because no real plagiarism happen, this is just an obvious personal attack more like shooting in the dark.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 09:31:42 PM
Merited by Symmetrick (1)

I just wonder why this type of attacks begun after the user joined the ChipMixer campaign? And he has been here for a while. Just a strange coincidence, isn't it?

Not really, he's been under attack for a while by korner and other shitheads. Been doxed too. Way before Chipmixer and I think even before he became a merit source.
friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 10:28:56 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2020, 11:15:58 PM by friends1980

Without source and without quote brackets, it is plagiarism.

With source and without quote brackets: it is not a plagiarism.
Without source and with quote brackets: it is surely not a plagiarism.

You're quoting the "plagiarism and cultural differences" thread and I'd kindly suggest to read the thread all the way to the end. The fact that the OP has been merited, doesn't mean it's correct. No intent, no offence. The cultural aspect is completely irrelevant. edit: so is the quote/bracket remark, but at least you'll avoid any discussion when you use sources-quotes-brackets.

Contrary to popular belief, the plagiarism rule and application thereof is very lenient. It's usually fine as long as moderators can see that the user didn't intend to pass the text as their own.

^As usual, suchmoon summarizes the whole thing perfectly. I'd however would like to add that the application is imho completely just and correct.

There's simply so many plagiarism claims which are completely unjustified, that it seems as if the mods are lenient. They're not lenient, they're right. (or, in some cases, it's impossible to prove)

I'm not quite sure why this is so difficult to understand for some, and I'm really amazed about how this has been repeated over and over, yet some people refuse to understand (or accept) this very simple rule.

nutildah-III - First BitcoinTalk NFT Transaction ever - 2021-04-01 [666 fBTC]
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 11:22:10 PM
Merited by wooI_Ioow (1)

This is plagiarism.  Extreme plagiarism:  It is a more sophisticated form of “text-spinning”.

Some of those who think that it is not plagiarism may be fooled by the language barrier.  I suggest taking a closer look at how the referenced English post is stitched together from others’ words.

Assembling an essay from (translated) copies of others’ words, in the manner as if they are your own words, and then placing links to “sources” at the bottom, makes it appear as if you referred to the “sources” as the sources of information for text that you wrote yourself.  —Which is plagiarism.  In substance.  By definition.

Rikafip’s initial remark is correct as to the substantial essence of the matter.  Ratimov’s deflection that this is not academia is a misdirection.

It makes no sense to quote further, since the rest of the text is also plagiarism.

How many words does Ratimov actually write by himself on this forum?  Roll Eyes

And this is the case not only with this article, but with everyone. How else can you get 3000 Merits? And so it will be as long as there are people who encourage plagiarism by sending it merit.

Besides stealing credit for authorship, this also devalues the effort of those who produce original work.

I say this based on personal experience with the time and effort required to produce a post of length, scope, and quality comparable to the referenced post which claims to be “by” Ratimov, but instead is slapped together from pieces of others’ work.

For the record:  For over two weeks, I have been planning an action related to the Russian forum which idiots may now mistake as being incited by this.  It is the reason for several of the exclusions that I made 2020-11-21, which barely missed Loyce’s 2020-11-21 scrape.  It has been delayed by distractions from the forum’s most highly trusted trolls, and by IRL personal tasks.

I didn’t know that Ratimov was stitching together posts from words written by others.  I did know that plagiarism and other wrongdoing are unaccountably acceptable behaviour in the judgment of Russian DTs.

I dislike the growing trend of plagiarism accusations being used as a political weapon on this forum.  I further dislike the trend of brushing off valid accusations with ad hominem diversionary responses to alt accounts.

Emphasis is in the original:
I don't have a problem with alt accounts as long as they're not used for evading bans. If you're hesitant to say something controversial because you don't want it to be associated with your name, please create an alt account and say it.

I sometimes find it helpful to read a post without looking at its author’s name.  That applies both to good posts, and to things that come off as surprisingly... otherwise.

For example, when Lauda was correctly accused in May, neither Lauda nor I made the idiotic ad hominem “n00btroll, go away” brush-off.  Although I infer that person behind that particular account probably had a malicious anti-Lauda motive for expending the effort to dig up those six-year-old posts (!), the use of an alt account was unnecessary in that case:  I know from private discussion that Lauda would not have retaliated for a correct accusation made on the basis of sound evidence.  Furthermore, both Lauda and I merited a different Newbie account’s thoughtfully presented inculpatory analysis of her posts.  The argument thereby stated was cogent, professionally presented, and apparently not malicious despite its harshness towards Lauda; I thought that it was meritorious.

Compare Ratimov’s response here:  Shoot the messenger.

It's okay, just another idiot-troll who, not understanding the situation, runs screaming in the meta, hoping to make some kind of sensation. What a pity that he spent so much time decorating the text, but did not find the time to read my topics more carefully.  Cheesy

I don’t care who OP is, or what his motive is, if he brings a valid accusation backed by evidence.

Please address the substance of the matter.

nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2020, 06:09:19 AM

5. Was lauda removed from being a merit source for this and did anyone suggest he should be ?

Lauda was never a merit source.  You see, CH, this is a large part of your problem:  You often state factually untruthful misinformation.  It is doubly a shame, because you sometimes have some good points—and you undermine them by being, shall we say, “careless with the facts”.  Truthfulness is of the utmost importance to me; that is why I so admired Lauda, and always will.

Now, my post was about Ratimov.  The point of the Lauda contrast that I made halfway through my post was about Ratimov.  Ratimov has chosen to deal with this accusation by shooting the messenger, and denying that plagiarism is plagiarism.  About Ratimov:

In this case it is probably enough it had now been mentioned.

Why don’t you think that this is at least as bad as what many others have been punished for, if not much worse in substance?

A casual copy-and-paste is bad enough.  OP’s highlighting make it easy to see, this is an instance of systematically assembling text piecewise from others’ words.  And Ratimov has essentially admitted that he copied the text from someone else.

The post is very recent, earned 7 merits, and no doubt increased Ratimov’s reputation with some of the more intelligent users of the forum.  I myself happened across that post recently, and intended to merit it and reply.  (If I want to reply to something, I usually wait until I reply to send merit.)  I am shocked to see that it actually is not his.

And this is the case not only with this article, but with everyone. How else can you get 3000 Merits?

No, you can get thousands of merits with much more knowledge and effort than Ratimov evidently has.

I am not very familiar with Ratimov’s post history.  “...not only with this article”?  Have evidence?

I may perhaps be a little bit less adamant—just a little bit—

• —if there were any ambiguity whatsoever in the apparent authorship of the body text of the post.  I viewed the post itself, not only OP’s quote.  I sincerely tried to guess how a reader could discern that the text of the post actually quotes is spun from others’ words.  No way.  It is impossible to view the “source” links at the bottom as a mark of authorship:  Any reasonable person would see them purely as footnotes referring to sources of information, not as authorship credits.  Indeed, although I did not fully check the whole post, he seems to mix informational references with “sources” as authors.
  • —if Ratimov did not deny in principle that it is plagiarism to post something written by someone else, fully in the manner as if he is the author.
  • —if Ratimov had not chosen to reply with an ad hominem attack against an accusation brought with evidence

It's okay, just another idiot-troll who, not understanding the situation, runs screaming in the meta, hoping to make some kind of sensation.

—and by ridiculing the bringing of evidence (!).

What a pity that he spent so much time decorating the text, but did not find the time to read my topics more carefully.  Cheesy

These knee-jerk reactions must stop!  Posts by anonymous parties, alt accounts, and “Newbies” (who may sometimes simply be longtime lurkers) should be judged by whether they are good are bad.  Most are bad—but then, many posts by “Legendary” accounts are also bad.

I have always acted according to this principle.  In my prior experience, I have been accused of scamming by an anonymous alt account who apologized to me after, instead of attacking him as an “alt sockpuppet troll”, I acknowledged that his evidence against someone associated with me was correct, and I coöperated fully in the investigation of that scammer.  I am actually quite thankful to whoever was behind that account:  The investigation that he started saved me from getting sucked deeper into a scam by someone who had fooled me.  If I had started off by attacking him ad hominem on the basis of his using an obvious alt account, then my reputation would have been fried after theymos showed up with IP evidence that it was a known scammer—and I would have deserved it.  It was only my own sincerity and avoidance of knee-jerk reactions that saved me from saying, “go away n00btroll!” to the investigator who blew the lid off one of the most infamous scams of the past few years on this forum.

If they themselves have punished others for plagiarism that is different.
That would demonstrate double standards especially if they had used the trust system to do so.

[...]
Now stop this bullshit because this is exactly the kind of crap DT1 colluding goons are going to pull on you.

I am curious to see what lovesmayfamilis has to say about this.  (Among other things in the Russian forum.)

lovesmayfamilis Trusts these users' judgement:

44. Ratimov (Trust: +9 / =0 / -0) (DT1! (11) 2983 Merit earned) (Trust list) (BPIP)

As for me, don’t worry—nobody will “pick me apart”.  ;-)  I will reply to you in the other thread another time; I am trying to catch up on some other things now.

Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 09:50:54 AM

Maybe the quick solution for this is besides adding the sources of the article the OP should also take not that majority of the post is "translated in English" from a particular article. I double checked the article in forklog and I can say majority of the post content also the pictures use are from that article. So maybe to avoid future debate regarding with post taken from another article you should make it clear that it is a translation from one article, with that people who think it is plagiarism will just leave you alone.
jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2020, 10:23:46 AM

Actually if we will go down on this matter if we will going to write a book or any research studies then there are rulings for this on how to quote and how to acknowledge the author or the real article and definitely it is not about copying and pasting. But there is no ruling here that this type of publishing is considered as plagiarism. This is not considered plagiarism in this forum as long as the source has been acknowledge completely different when you write research studies and or articles.
wooI_Ioow

Activity: 39
Merit: 8

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 09:24:28 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2020, 09:47:24 PM by wooI_Ioow

This is plagiarism.  Extreme plagiarism:  It is a more sophisticated form of “text-spinning”.

Thumbs up on this.

Besides stealing credit for authorship, this also devalues the effort of those who produce original work.

Stealing is an integral part of a rat. First I was thinking of him as of CPM  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5276004 but perhaps CPR would be more appropriate for this shitposter. You know,  his  Ratimov handle is not for nothing.
Scam Exposey

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2020, 11:29:51 PM

I agree with nullius this time this is text spinning and also he do that just to get more merits here.

Imagine that? He do it for so many times, many users has been on  bad shape for doing that and if Ratimov can escape this then there's a problem with the system here.

This forum is so great but its slowly killed by those Abusive guy.
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 06:00:31 AM

This is one of the two worst plagiarisms that I have ever yet seen on this forum.  (The other is something that I found in the Russian forum—which, as aforementioned, I have been intending to report.)  It is not obvious, the way that it is presented in OP; OP’s retroversion to Russian does not show that Ratimov’s English-language post is almost entirely a straight copy-paste.  Insofar as I can tell, Ratimov wrote exactly two sentences of this long post in his own words.

It is obvious when you do what OP suggested, which nobody actually did:  Compare Ratimov’s English post with the Google translation of Ratimov’s so-called “source”.  Ratimov did a total rip-off!

When I have other posts to write (and other things to do in my life), I just spent several hours neatly formatting the Google translation of Ratimov’s “source” in BBcode, collating it with Ratimov’s plagiarised post, and packaging it with this explanation.  —All to show the nature of a post which Ratimov evidently slapped together in a few minutes, for which he received much praise.  Roll Eyes

I often spend hours of painstaking effort on one post.  I know that some other high-merit users invest similarly.  I have earned 2080 merits.  Ratimov copies and pastes Google translations of others’ work.  Ratimov has earned 3017 merits.  Why should anyone bother, when it is so easy to earn merits with copy and paste?

OP, good work.  I would send you merit on your throwaway account there, if I were not trying to save up some sMerits now.  Perhaps a merit source should merit you.  Perhaps LoyceV or suchmoon, who are so strongly against copypasta posts?

The Collation

Forward links:  Plagiarised Post; Original.

Colour codes:

• Text copied by Ratimov verbatim, or almost verbatim.
  • Text closely paraphrased by Ratimov.  Some of this “paraphrasing” may be a straight copy and paste; Google Translate does not give the exact same results every time.
  • Extraordinarily weird machine translation errors that Ratimov did not even bother to fix.  Emphasizes the essential copy-paste nature of this post.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
  • In the original, this text was copied or closely paraphrased/text-spun by Ratimov.

It is recommended to open this post in two different browser windows, and compare the highlighted plagiarism with the highlighted original side-by-side.  The forum’s format does not admit any adequate representation of such a collation.

Where multiple paragraphs in the original were combined into one paragraph by Ratimov, I have preserved the original paragraph breaks with corresponding breaks in the highlighting.

Observe that all internal quotations and images in Ratimov’s post were also simply copied by him from the original.  Ratimov essentially reproduced a cut-down version of the Google Translate English version of a Russian article, and presented it as his own work—with a link to the original tossed into the middle of a list of so-called “source” links at the bottom.

This is not presented a translation of a Russian article, with appropriate credit given to the author, Andrew Asmakov; and credit is also not given to the translator, Google.  It appears to be Ratimov’s article; whereas it is a straight copy-paste, no different than any other “copypasta” besides its breathtaking scope and audacity.

Plagiarised Post

N.b. the merits from reputable users, who would not knowingly merit a copy-paste.  As I noted earlier, I had intended to merit it myself, and to make a thoughtful reply.

Merited by DdmrDdmr (2), OgNasty (1), ETFbitcoin (1), mk4 (1), 20kevin20 (1), GazetaBitcoin (1)
In this article I would like to touch upon such a theme as online privacy. As we know, now is the period of a pandemic, and it is at this time that rights and freedoms are being infringed, including on the Internet. Governments are using the pandemic as an excuse to restrict access to information. It also expands the powers to monitor and implement new technologies aimed at digitizing, collecting and analyzing personal data of people without adequate protection from abuse. Countries are introducing new Internet rules to restrict the flow of information across national borders.

But any action on the part of the government immediately provokes opposition, especially on the Internet. Indeed, for many users, the principles of unhindered access to information and free expression are fundamental to the development of civil society and economic prosperity. The history of the world wide web is also the history of the struggle for basic human rights, the possibilities for achieving which have grown immeasurably with the development of technology.

Next, let's analyze the 5 most famous program documents published in the network, which still remain relevant, iincluding for cryptocurrency supporters.

1. The Conscience of a Hacker

The first significant attempt to explain the philosophy of hackers was an essay, written in January 1986 and later published in the electronic journal Phrack, entitled The Conscience of a Hacker. It was written by a hacker from Texas called The Mentor, Loyd Blankenship. Referring to the collective image of the world of adults, including teachers who think in familiar patterns, Blankenship writes:

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I made a discovery today.  I found a computer.  Wait a second, this is cool.  It does what I want it to.  If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up.  Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me...Or thinks I'm a smart ass...Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...Damn kid.  All he does is play games.  They're all alike.

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless.  We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic.  The few that had something to teach found us will-ing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.  We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals.  We explore... and you call us criminals.  We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals.  We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal.  My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.  You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

Blankenship's work is often referred to as the beginning of a story of confrontation between online activists and the real world in general, which later grew into a struggle with governments.

Lloyd Blankenship about the history of writing the Hacker's Manifesto. H2K2 Conference in 2002.

2. The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto

In the 1970s, when the first working prototypes of the Internet appeared, the issue of protecting data in an open environment became relevant. In 1978, American cryptographer David Chaum developed a blind digital signature - a public key encryption model. It allowed the creation of a database of people who could remain anonymous, while guaranteeing the reliability of the information they provided about themselves.

Chaum also dreamed of digital voting, the process of which could be verified without disclosing the identity of the voter, but primarily digital cash. In the mid-1980s, he was able to create a model in which users made payments while maintaining anonymity and guaranteeing the reality of funds. On the basis of these developments, the movement of cryptographers was born, advocating computer technology as a means of destroying the state. The main ideologist of this movement was the former leading researcher at Intel Timothy May.

Timothy May

Inspired by Chaum's 1985 paper "Security without identification: transaction systems to make big brother obsolete," which described a system that cryptographically hides the customer's identity, May set about exploring public key cryptographic security. He was firmly convinced that, when combined with networked computing, this technology could "destroy the structures of social power." In 1988, May published The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto, an essay he wrote based on Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto:

A specter is haunting the modern world, the specter of crypto anarchy.

It says that information technology will allow people to manage their lives without governments, but through cryptography, digital currencies and other decentralized tools. The anonymity these tools bring should be a catalyst for profound social change.

Timothy May writes:

Computer technology is on the verge of providing the ability for individuals and groups to communicate and interact with each other in a totally anonymous manner. Two persons may exchange messages, conduct business, and negotiate electronic contracts without ever knowing the True Name, or legal identity, of the other. Interactions over networks will be untraceable, via extensive re- routing of encrypted packets and tamper-proof boxes which implement cryptographic protocols with nearly perfect assurance against any tampering. Reputations will be of central importance, far more important in dealings than even the credit ratings of today. These developments will alter completely the nature of government regulation, the ability to tax and control economic interactions, the ability to keep information secret, and will even alter the nature of trust and reputation.

According to May, the ideological foundation of The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto was anarcho-capitalism, a form of anarchism that emphasizes voluntary transactions and the free market. His essay was partly a source of inspiration for the first prototypes of Bitcoin, and many cryptocurrency proponents consider Timothy May to be one of those people who made a huge contribution to its ideological foundation. However, in 2018, when it was 10 years since the publication of the Bitcoin white paper, May stated that, observing what was happening, he experienced "some interest, a certain surprise and great disappointment", and that "Satoshi would vomit" if he saw all hype and yelling to the heavens and HODL, as well as ever tighter regulation.

In his opinion, attempts to "befriend" regulators are likely to kill the key use cases for cryptocurrencies, which should not be variations on PayPal or Visa.

3. A Cypherpunk's Manifesto

Timothy May also pioneered the cypherpunk movement, which he founded in 1992 with John Gilmore and Eric Hughes to champion the ideals of privacy and technology openness. It is believed that the movement was born in one of the informal meetings with close friends organized by May, Hughes and Gilmore. Such meetings began to be held regularly, and in order to attract other people who shared the interests and core values ​​of the movement, an electronic mailing list called "Cypherpunk" was created. In a short time, she gained hundreds of subscribers who tested ciphers, exchanged ideas and discussed new developments. The correspondence was conducted using the latest encryption methods such as PGP.

The group members had heated discussions on topics of politics and philosophy, which, combined with the study of computer science, cryptography and mathematics, led to the emergence of the Cypherpunk Manifesto. The document containing the main ideological provisions of this movement was published in 1993 by the aforementioned Eric Hughes.

Cypherpunks write code. We know that someone has to write software to defend privacy, and since we can't get privacy unless we all do, we're going to write it. We publish our code so that our fellow Cypherpunks may practice and play with it. Our code is free for all to use, worldwide. We don't much care if you don't approve of the software we write. We know that software can't be destroyed and that a widely dispersed system can't be shut down.

For privacy to be widespread it must be part of a social contract. People must come and together deploy these systems for the common good. Privacy only extends so far as the cooperation of one's fellows in society. We the Cypherpunks seek your questions and your concerns and hope we may engage you so that we do not deceive ourselves. We will not, however, be moved out of our course because some may disagree with our goals.

The manifesto emphasized that privacy and secrecy are not the same thing:

Privacy is necessary for an open society in the electronic age. Privacy is not secrecy. A private matter is something one doesn't want the whole world to know, but a secret matter is something one doesn't want anybody to know. Privacy is the power to selectively reveal oneself to the world.

The ideas of cypherpunks were subsequently implemented to one degree or another in cryptocurrencies. The mailing list included the creator of the Proof-of-Work algorithm Adam Back, the authors of the b-money proposals Wei Dai and Bitgold Nick Szabo, the movement had a significant impact on the creator of Zcash Zuko Wilcox. And it was in the cypherpunk mailing list in October 2008 that someone under the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto published the famous white paper "Bitcoin: A Digital Peer-to-Peer Cash System."

4. A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace

In February 1996, the founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), John Perry Barlow, published an iconic document called A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, which is still considered a classic of Internet libertarianism. The document consisted of harsh and unprincipled statements addressed to world governments and became a response to the Telecommunications Decency Act signed before this US President Bill Clinton, with the help of which the authorities tried to censor the Internet. Barlow's goal was to show that if states are still able to set limits on the dissemination of seditious ideas in traditional media, then on the World Wide Web they are powerless and such attempts are doomed to failure. He did not set the goal of "freeing the Internet", because the Internet was and remains free, and cyberspace has an innate immunity to supreme power.

Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather.

We have no elected government, nor are we likely to have one, so I address you with no greater authority than that with which liberty itself always speaks. I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us. You have no moral right to rule us nor do you possess any methods of enforcement we have true reason to fear.

Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed. You have neither solicited nor received ours. We did not invite you. You do not know us, nor do you know our world. Cyberspace does not lie within your borders. Do not think that you can build it, as though it were a public construction project. You cannot. It is an act of nature and it grows itself through our collective actions.

You have not engaged in our great and gathering conversation, nor did you create the wealth of our marketplaces. You do not know our culture, our ethics, or the unwritten codes that already provide our society more order than could be obtained by any of your impositions.

You claim there are problems among us that you need to solve. You use this claim as an excuse to invade our precincts. Many of these problems don't exist. Where there are real conflicts, where there are wrongs, we will identify them and address them by our means. We are forming our own Social Contract. This governance will arise according to the conditions of our world, not yours. Our world is different.

We will create a civilization of the Mind in Cyberspace. May it be more humane and fair than the world your governments have made before.

Despite the fact that the act signed by Bill Clinton later in the same 1996 by a federal court decision was declared unconstitutional, the struggle of supporters and opponents of freedom on the Internet continues, and Barlow's "Declaration" will remain relevant for a long time. Governments continue to practice blocking resources, seizing servers, and even physical arrests to this day, but cyberspace has resisted that too. New encryption tools, anonymization and blocking bypass tools appear.

5. Guerilla Open Access Manifesto

Time is like water - it flows and changes. The history of the struggle for fundamental rights on the Internet confirmed this when in 2008 the world saw the Guerilla Open Access Manifesto, by Aaron Swartz.

According to Schwartz's manifesto:

Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves. The world's entire scientific and cultural heritage, published over centuries in books and journals, is increasingly being digitized and locked up by a handful of private corporations. Want to read the papers featuring the most famous results of the sciences? You'll need to send enormous amounts to publishers like Reed Elsevier.

"I agree," many say, "but what can we do? The companies hold the copyrights, they make enormous amounts of money by charging for access, and it's perfectly legal - there's nothing we can do to stop them." But there is something we can, something that's already being done: we can fight back.

But all of this action goes on in the dark, hidden underground. It's called stealing or piracy, as if sharing a wealth of knowledge were the moral equivalent of plundering a ship and murdering its crew. But sharing isn't immoral - it's a moral imperative. Only those blinded by greed would refuse to let a friend make a copy.

Large corporations, of course, are blinded by greed. The laws under which they operate require it - their shareholders would revolt at anything less. And the politicians they have bought off back them, passing laws giving them the exclusive power to decide who can make copies.

We need to take information, wherever it is stored, make our copies and share them with the world. We need to take stuff that's out of copyright and add it to the archive. We need to buy secret databases and put them on the Web. We need to download scientific journals and upload them to file sharing networks. We need to fight for Guerilla Open Access.

With enough of us, around the world, we'll not just send a strong message opposing the privatization of knowledge - we'll make it a thing of the past. Will you join us?

Recently, it is often said that due to the coronavirus pandemic, life will never be the same again. This is probably partly true. But one thing will remain unchanged - the human need for basic rights and especially in the global network, where the main activity is now taking place. This means the inevitability of the emergence of new technologies, and with them - and new attempts by the state machine to crush them under itself.

And the emergence of new manifestos outlining the agenda for the future is only a matter of time. However, they already appear.

sources:
- http://phrack.org/issues/7/3.html#article
- https://activism.net/cypherpunk/crypto-anarchy.html
- https://forklog.com/ot-hakerov-i-shifropankov-do-zashhitnikov-svobody-v-onlajne-pyat-programmnyh-manifestov-interneta/
- https://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html
- https://www.eff.org/cyberspace-independence
- https://manifesto.ai/
- https://openaccessmanifesto.wordpress.com/guerilla-open-access-manifesto/

Original

Achtung!  Google Translate can give slightly, subtly different results on different runs; results are not guaranteed to be stable.  Nonetheless, the text that I obtained (including several errors) is, in pertinent part, almost word-for-word identical to Ratimov’s copy.

I, nullius, certify that the following text was copied by me from Google Translate, at the link hereby provided.

From hackers and cypherpunks to online freedom advocates - the internet's five programming manifestos

11/19/2020 • Andrew Asmakov

#the Internet#cryptanarchism#hackers#cypherpunks

According to a recent report by human rights organization Freedom House, the coronavirus pandemic has negatively impacted global internet freedom. For 10 years in a row, users have faced a general denial of their rights, a phenomenon contributing to the crisis of democracy around the world.

Experts have identified three trends that indicate a decrease in the level of freedom on the Internet:

• Governments are using the pandemic as an excuse to restrict access to information.
  • Under the same pretext , powers are expanding to monitor and implement new technologies aimed at digitizing, collecting and analyzing personal data of people without adequate protection from abuse.
  • The race of "cyber sovereignty" - countries introduce their own Internet rules to restrict the flow of information across national borders.

As you know, any action causes opposition. This is especially true for the Internet, for many of whose users the principles of free access to information and free expression are fundamental to the development of civil society and economic prosperity.

The history of the world wide web is also the history of the struggle for basic human rights, the possibilities for achieving which have grown immeasurably with the development of technology.

We have collected five of the most famous policy documents published on the network, which still remain relevant, including for cryptocurrency supporters.

Hacker's manifesto

The first significant attempt to explain the philosophy of hackers was an essay, written in January 1986 and later published in the electronic journal Phrack, entitled " The Conscience of a Hacker." It was written by a Texas hacker named The Mentor, Loyd Blankenship .

At the time of writing, often referred to as the "Hacker's Manifesto," Blankenship was only 20 years old and had been arrested by the FBI shortly before that. The reasons for the arrest are not fully known, Blankenship himself claimed that "he did nothing wrong - he just went into the computer, which he should not have entered." The most likely explanation is the participation of the essay author in the cult hacker group Legion of Doom , which is considered one of the most influential organizations of its kind in the history of technology and was most active between 1984 and 1991.

Referring to the collective image of the world of adults, including teachers who think in familiar patterns, Blankenship writes:

“You, with your three-element psychology and the tech brain of the 50s, have you ever looked a hacker in the eye? Have you ever wondered what makes it move, what forces have shaped it? "

“Today I made a discovery. I opened my computer. Wait a second ... that's great! He does what I want. If he makes a mistake, it's because I screwed up. Not because he doesn't like me ... Or he is intimidated by me ... Or thinks that I am too smart ... Or does not like to study and should not be here ... "

“You’re willing to swear with your ass that we are all the same. At school we were all spoon-fed baby food, while we wanted a steak ... Those pieces of meat that we got were chewed and tasteless. "

“Now this is our world ... The world of electrons and switches, the world of the beauty of baud. We use existing systems without paying for what could be cheaper than dirt if not run by dirty speculators and you call us criminals. We investigate and you call us criminals. We are looking for knowledge ... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious strife ... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you unleash wars, you kill, you cheat and lie to us, trying to make us believe that all this is for our own good. "

“Yes, I'm a criminal. My crime is curiosity. My crime is that I judge people not by how they look, but by what they say and think. My crime is that I am much smarter than you. This is something that you will never forgive me.

“I'm a hacker. And this is my manifesto. You can stop one of us, but you cannot stop us all ... after all, we are all the same. "

Blankenship's work is often referred to as the beginning of a story of confrontation between online activists and the real world in general, which later grew into a struggle with governments. She was also noted by the creators of the film "Hackers" with Angelina Jolie in one of the roles, including an excerpt from the revised edition of "Manifesto".

[Youtube embed screenshotted by Ratimov for the forum]
Loyd Blankenship on the history of the Hackers Manifesto. H2K2 conference in 2002.

Blankenship himself later worked for the Austin-based company Steve Jackson Games , which develops tabletop role-playing and card games. He was the author of GURPS Cyberpunk , a set of rules for cyberpunk worlds that the US Secret Service removed from the company's office in 1990 after a raid, calling it "a guide for cybercriminals."

In 2014, after working as a programmer, technical writer and game designer at various companies, Blankenship became a private security consultant, and since 2016, according to his LinkedIn profile , he has been working at McAfee, where he leads the department of user interface design for applications and enterprise products. ...

Cryptanarchist manifesto

In the 1970s, when the first working prototypes of the Internet appeared, the issue of protecting data in an open environment became relevant.

In 1978, American cryptographer David Chaum developed a blind digital signature - a public key encryption model. It allowed the creation of a database of people who could remain anonymous, while guaranteeing the reliability of the information they reported about themselves.

Chaum also dreamed of digital voting, the process of which could be verified without revealing the identity of the voter, but primarily digital cash.

In the mid-1980s, he was able to create a model in which users made payments while maintaining anonymity and guaranteeing the reality of funds. On the basis of these developments, the movement of cryptographers was born who advocated computer technology as a means of destroying the state.

The main ideologist of this movement was the former leading researcher at Intel Timothy May .

Timothy May

Inspired by Chaum's 1985 paper "Security Without Identity: A Transactional System That Will Make Big Brother Anachronistic," which described a system that cryptographically obscures the customer's identity, May set about exploring public key cryptographic security. He was firmly convinced that, when combined with networked computing, this technology could "destroy the structures of social power."

In 1988, May published The Cryptanarchist Manifesto , an essay he wrote based on Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto:

"A ghost wanders the modern world, the ghost of cryptanarchy."

It says that information technology will allow people to manage their lives without governments, but through cryptography, digital currencies and other decentralized tools. The anonymity these tools bring should be a catalyst for profound social change.

“Computer technology has come very close to providing individuals or groups of people with the ability to communicate and interact completely anonymously ... This will completely change the nature of government regulation, the ability to collect taxes and control economic interaction, the ability to keep information secret and even change the nature of trust and reputation. "- wrote Timothy May.

According to May, the ideological foundation of the Cryptanarchist Manifesto was anarcho-capitalism, a form of anarchism that emphasizes voluntary transactions and the free market.

His essay was partly a source of inspiration for the first prototypes of Bitcoin, and many cryptocurrency proponents consider Timothy May to be one of those people who made a huge contribution to its ideological foundation.

However, in 2018, when it was 10 years since the publication of the Bitcoin white paper , May stated that, observing what was happening, he experienced "some interest, a certain surprise and great disappointment", and that "Satoshi would vomit" if he saw all hype and screaming to the heavens and HODL, as well as ever tighter regulation.

“I don’t know how Satoshi wanted his creation, but I don’t think his vision included cryptocurrency exchanges with their draconian identity verification and anti-money laundering laws, account freezes and mandatory cooperation with intelligence agencies on the subject of“ suspicious activity ”. It is highly likely that all this chatter about governance, regulation and blockchain will result in the creation of a society of total supervision and control, where everyone will have a personal file, ”Timothy May said then.

In his opinion, attempts to "befriend" regulators are likely to kill the key use cases for cryptocurrencies, which should not be variations on PayPal or Visa.

Timothy May coined the term "Four Horsemen of the Infocalypse" , which refers to drug trafficking, money laundering, terrorism and pedophilia, used by governments to intimidate and justify restrictions on cryptography and, as a result, restrictions on privacy and anonymity.

In December 2018, at the age of 66, Timothy May died of natural causes at his California home.

Cypherpunk Manifesto

Timothy May also pioneered the cypherpunk movement, which he founded in 1992 with John Gilmore and Eric Hughes to champion the ideals of privacy and technology openness. It is believed that the movement was born in one of the informal meetings with close friends organized by May, Hughes and Gilmore.

Such meetings began to be held regularly, and in order to attract other people who shared the interests and core values ​​of the movement, an electronic mailing list called "Cypherpunk" was created. In a short time, she gained hundreds of subscribers who tested ciphers, exchanged ideas and discussed new developments. The correspondence was conducted using the latest encryption methods such as PGP.

The group members had heated discussions on topics of politics and philosophy, which, combined with the study of computer science, cryptography and mathematics, led to the emergence of the Cypherpunk Manifesto . A document containing the main ideological provisions of this movement was published in 1993 by the aforementioned Eric Hughes .

“Cypherpunks write code. We know that someone has to keep writing code to protect information, and since we see no other way to protect our data, we keep writing code. […] Our code is available to anyone on earth. We don't care too much that some people don't like what we do. We know that our programs cannot be destroyed, and the growing network cannot be stopped. "

“Confidentiality is essential for an open society in the digital age. […] Confidentiality in an open society requires the use of cryptography. […] We cypherpunks are called to create anonymous systems. We protect our privacy with cryptography, anonymous email forwarding systems, digital signatures, and electronic money. [...] Cryptography will inevitably spread throughout the world, and with it the systems of anonymous transactions that it makes possible. "

The manifesto emphasized that privacy and secrecy are not the same thing.

“A private matter is something that, in the opinion of a person, the whole world does not need to know, and no one should know about a secret matter at all. Privacy is the ability to choose what information about yourself to reveal to the world. "

Eric Hughes

The ideas of cypherpunks were subsequently implemented to one degree or another in cryptocurrencies. The mailing list included the creator of the Proof-of-Work algorithm Adam Back , the authors of the b-money proposals Wei Dai and Bitgold Nick Szabo , the movement had a significant impact on the creator of Zcash Zuko Wilcox .

And it was in the cypherpunk mailing list in October 2008 that someone under the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto published the famous white paper "Bitcoin: A Digital Peer-to-Peer Cash System."

Cyberspace Declaration of Independence

In February 1996, the founder of social organization Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) , John Perry Barlow published a cult document entitled "Declaration of Independence of Cyberspace» (A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace), and today is considered a classic of Internet libertarianism.

The document consisted of harsh and unprincipled statements addressed to world governments and became a response to the Telecommunications Decency Act, signed before this US President Bill Clinton, with the help of which the authorities tried to censor the Internet.

Barlow's goal was to show that if states are still able to set limits on the dissemination of seditious ideas in traditional media, then on the World Wide Web they are powerless and such attempts are doomed to failure. He did not set the task of "freeing the Internet" because the Internet was and remains free, and cyberspace has an innate immunity to supreme power.

<<<vimeo video>>>

“Governments of the Industrial World, you are weary giants of flesh and steel; my Motherland is Cyberspace, the new home of Consciousness. On behalf of the future, I ask you, who have everything in the past, - leave us alone. You are superfluous among us. You do not have supreme authority where we are gathered. "

“We did not choose a government, and it is unlikely that we will ever have one, so I appeal to you, having a power not greater than the one with which freedom itself speaks. I declare that the global public space we are building is by nature independent of the tyranny you seek to impose on us. You have neither a moral right to rule over us, nor methods of coercion that could really frighten us. "

“Governments are truly empowered by the consent of those they rule. […] You declare that we have problems for you to solve. […] Many of these problems do not exist. Where there are real conflicts and shortcomings, we will identify and eliminate them by our own means. We establish our own Social Contract. This mode of government will arise according to the conditions of our world, not yours. Our world is different. "

“You are terrified of your own children, because they feel at home in a world in which you will always be immigrants. Because you are afraid of them, you cowardly shift your parenting responsibilities to the bureaucratic apparatus. […] Your increasingly obsolete information industry would like to perpetuate its dominance by pushing laws - both in America and elsewhere - requiring ownership of speech itself around the world. "

“These increasingly hostile colonial measures put us in a position in which the adherents of freedom and self-determination found themselves in their time, forced to reject the authority of a remote uniform power. We must declare the freedom of our virtual selves from your dominion, even if we agree that you continue to dominate our bodies. We will spread our "I" throughout the planet so that no one can arrest our thoughts. "

“We will create a civilization of Consciousness in Cyberspace. Let it be more humane and honest than the world that your governments have created before. "

Despite the fact that the act signed by Bill Clinton later in the same 1996 by a federal court decision was declared unconstitutional, the struggle of supporters and opponents of freedom on the Internet continues, and Barlow's "Declaration" will remain relevant for a long time.

Governments continue to practice blocking resources, seizing servers, and even physical arrests to this day, but cyberspace has resisted that too. New encryption tools, anonymization and blocking bypass tools appear.

“I’m completely free to talk to Edward Snowden anytime I want, even though the NSA guys would like to know when and what we’re talking about,” John Barlow told Wired in 2016 , calling it further proof that governments from the physical world have no real power on the internet.

On February 7, 2018, John Barlow, who also wrote the lyrics for the legendary rock band Grateful Dead, died at the age of 70 at his San Francisco home. As Wired tech reporter Stephen Levy wrote in an obituary, the "bard of the internet" is gone.

The guerrilla manifesto on open access

Time is like water - it flows and changes. The history of the struggle for fundamental rights on the Internet confirmed this when in 2008 the world saw Aaron Schwartz's “Guerrilla Manifesto on Open Information” .

[Youtube embed screenshotted by Ratimov for the forum]

According to Schwartz's manifesto:

“Information is power. But, as is usually the case with power, there are those who want to have it alone. The entire world scientific and cultural heritage, published over the centuries in various books and magazines, is rapidly being digitized and hidden from prying eyes by a handful of private corporations. "

“I agree,” many say, “but what can we do? The companies own the copyrights and make a lot of money. And this is completely legal. There is no way we can stop them. "

“But all of this is happening in a dark underground. This is called theft or piracy. […] But sharing information is not immoral. This is a moral imperative. Only those blinded by greed do not agree with this. "

“Big corporations are undoubtedly blinded by greed. This is required by the laws according to which they function. Their shareholders will rise up if profits are missing. And politicians bought by corporations cover them up, inventing the laws they need. "

“We need to take information, wherever it is stored, make copies of ourselves and share them with the world. We need to take materials that are not copyrighted and add them to the archive. We need to buy secret databases and make them freely available. We need to download scientific journals and upload them to file-sharing networks. We must fight for Guerrilla Open Access.

"With enough of us around the world, we will not only send a compelling message against the privatization of knowledge, we will leave this system in the past."

Born in 1986 in Chicago, Schwartz lived a short but extremely vibrant life, bursting, like Jim Morrison in the 1960s, on the other side of the information space.

Already at the age of 14, he became a co-author of the RSS 1.0 specification, after which he worked under the guidance of the creator of the Internet Tim Berners-Lee at W3C. Schwartz got into the first program at Y Combinator with startup Infogami, which later merged with the popular site Reddit and later worked on projects such as Open Library, Creative Commons, and watchdog.net.

Another contribution of the Internet legend is the creation of Deaddrop, later renamed SecureDrop , a platform for anonymous information leakage , which is used by the world's largest media. The list of projects to which Schwartz had a hand is endless.

On January 11, 2013, at the age of 26, Aaron Schwartz committed suicide. Shortly before that, he was charged with hacking into the computer network of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), on the aggregate of which he could face up to 35 years in prison.

Recently, it is often said that due to the coronavirus pandemic, life will never be the same. This is probably partly true. But one thing will remain unchanged - the human need for basic rights, and especially in the global network, where the main activity is now taking place.

This means the inevitability of the emergence of new technologies, and with them - and new attempts by the state machine to crush them under itself.

And the emergence of new manifestos outlining the agenda for the future is only a matter of time. However, they are already appearing .

Subscribe to ForkLog news in Telegram: ForkLog FEED - the entire news feed, ForkLog - the most important news and polls.

#the Internet #cryptanarchism #hackers #cypherpunks

nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 7974

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 07:27:38 AM

Not plagiarism. He referenced the sources at the end of the post (as was noticed in post #2 of this thread, yet here we are on page 2).

Is there an example of someone who has been banned for plagiarism after including sources in their post? If you can find that, that would be a convincing argument that a new standard needs to be developed. However, it would appear that we are good with the standards we have now.

As far as the whole CM campaign angle is concerned, Ratimov works harder than most people here and I can't think of many more deserving of a spot in the campaign.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
witcher_sense
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 4316

🔐BitcoinMessage.Tools🔑

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 07:51:15 AM

As far as forum rules go, providing the source is enough. Even just adding quotes ([quote] or "...") without giving a source would probably be enough to avoid a ban. Contrary to popular belief, the plagiarism rule and application thereof is very lenient. It's usually fine as long as moderators can see that the user didn't intend to pass the text as their own.

It is due to the fact that bitcointalk forum is not a literature forum where writers are competing with each other in eloquence and writing, where plagiarism is strictly prohibited. However, unlike on this forum, on literature forums, there are specific and clear rules regarding what plagiarism is (the notion of plagiarism is strictly defined) and what can be considered plagiarism (if all the rules are not strictly followed by a writer, it is plagiarism).

Let us take a look at the rules regarding plagiarism, which I found on some literature forum.

See Forum Rule # 6

--

6. If you are going to refer to or use content from other sites, authors, or entities, you must include a link or citation for it.

You cannot copy and paste entire articles, stories, poems, or etc. from other sites or entities as that is copyright infringement, and contributes nothing to discussion.

You should not need more than a few lines, sentences, or maybe a paragraph, to make your point in reference to the topic/discussion.

From Copyright.gov ; “Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports.”

Passing off others’ work as your own, whether unintentionally or purposefully, is copyright infringement, and the Literature Network abides by the Copyright Laws of the United States of America and of other countries where applicable.

Even if Ratimov were a writer and posted his articles on the said literature forum, he would barely be considered a plagiarist because he followed at least 2 out of 3 rules. Moreover, given that the first rule is the same as that on bitcointalk forum and Ratimov strictly followed it, he cannot be considered plagiarist on this forum whatsoever.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 08:04:03 AM

nutildah must be high on LSD right now, at this particular moment.  And people on this forum generally have no idea what plagiarism is:  They call insubstantive copy-pastes of uncreative material “plagiarism” (e.g., RegulusHR), but deny that extreme, definitional plagiarism is plagiarism.

What Is Plagiarism?

Plagiarism is usually defined as a discrete offense, a specific failure to give credit to a particular source. But it actually raises a much more fundamental question for writers: “Where is my voice in this project?” Seen in this light, the strategies that help you avoid plagiarism can also be strategies that help you gain power as a writer. Once your guiding question about your relationship to sources is “Where is my voice?” you are well on your way to using sources in an effective and legitimate way.

Plagiarism is the use of another’s work, words, or ideas without attribution. The word “plagiarism” comes from the Latin word for “kidnapper” and is considered a form of theft, a breach of honesty in the community. Plagiarizers suffer serious consequences.

But beyond the risk of penalties, there are urgent moral and intellectual reasons to avoid plagiarism. When you write, you’re joining an ongoing conversation. When you plagiarize, you join that conversation on false grounds, representing yourself as someone you are not. What is more, the act of stealing another’s words or ideas erases your voice.

You must always make clear in your written work where you have borrowed from others.

sources:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
- https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2020/12/01/a-heartfelt-plagiarism/
- https://poorvucenter.yale.edu/writing/using-sources/understanding-and-avoiding-plagiarism/what-plagiarism
- https://www.pornhub.com/ [NSFW]
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1184641.msg26140103#msg26140103
- https://archive.org/details/nietzschehislilu00ludouoft
- https://web.archive.org/web/20190926055757/http://www.jir.com/

JaneAhonen

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 08:54:03 AM

Let us take a look at the rules regarding plagiarism, which I found on some literature forum.

See Forum Rule # 6

You should not need more than a few lines, sentences, or maybe a paragraph, to make your point in reference to the topic/discussion.

Read this again. It says that you dont need more then few sentences but he copies whole articles.How about that?

He is doing that all the time.Google translating  russian articles from forklog website
6 Fundamental Reasons Why Bitcoin is Growing
Majority of text google translated from  https://forklog.com/pochemu-rastet-bitkoin-fundamentalnye-prichiny-mneniya-prognozy/

Lets all start google translating articles from other languages and opening new topics.

Frengki_cisco

Activity: 790
Merit: 44

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 08:59:06 AM

The game of round one is over.
Answered all problems.
Not included in the plagiarism category.

In fact it was. Look deeper,  he made copypaste of English phrase, verbatim and litteratim, not giving a reference link. But even this doesn't matter, he is spamming by copypasting content created by other authors and this is pinnacle.
Before you accuse other people of plagiarism you must see something applied by the Bitcointalk forum owner.

Read carefully and understand the contents, the essence of the rules of Plagiarism.

Common rule violations

These are the most common rule violations that newbies make. There are other rules than these.

• Plagiarism: If you copy some text from somewhere, then you should have a good reason for it, and you must link to the source. Doing otherwise is plagiarism. Changing a few words around doesn't matter. If we find that you plagiarized, then you absolutely will be permanently banned, even if we find it years after you did it.

What Ratimov did was not the fault and offense as you are accusing.

So, let me ask you again.
Did Ratimov do what is stated in the above rules, if he did and put the source or changed some words, Ratimov's answer does not qualify as a plagiarism violation.

Now a second battle is at stake, I spend 2-4 hours reading, what do I see here the accusations against Ratimov.
In my assessment based on the rules made and said by the owner of the Forum BitCointalk.

Ratimov = Not classified as plagiarism.

If, as Ratimov wrote breaking the rules here, PM themmos, delete all the rules written above.

BTC
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 09:02:47 AM

Archived version of the accused topic: https://archive.vn/wip/FHTqZ

I did not go for the entire topic of this thread but just wanted to see what the case is by comparing with google translation. My findings are below for only with the beginning part

From the OP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5297144.0

From accused topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5296174.0

Let's do some sampling...

Пpaвитeльcтвa иcпoльзyют пaндeмию кaк пpeдлoг для oгpaничeния дocтyпa к инфopмaции. Oн тaкжe pacшиpяeт пoлнoмoчия пo мoнитopингy и внeдpeнию нoвыx тexнoлoгий, нaпpaвлeнныx нa oцифpoвкy, cбop и aнaлиз личныx дaнныx людeй бeз нaдлeжaщeй зaщиты oт злoyпoтpeблeний. Cтpaны ввoдят нoвыe пpaвилa Интepнeтa, чтoбы oгpaничить пoтoк инфopмaции чepeз нaциoнaльныe гpaницы.

Google translation
Governments use pandemic as a prerequisite to limit access to information. It also expands the power of monitoring and introducing new technologies aimed at digitizing, collecting and analyzing the personal data of evil people. Countries are introducing new Internet rules to limit the flow of information across national borders.
On the thread
Governments are using the pandemic as an excuse to restrict access to information. It also expands the powers to monitor and implement new technologies aimed at digitizing, collecting and analyzing personal data of people without adequate protection from abuse. Countries are introducing new Internet rules to restrict the flow of information across national borders.

для мнoгиx пoльзoвaтeлeй пpинципы бecпpeпятcтвeннoгo дocтyпa к инфopмaции и cвoбoднoгo выpaжeния мнeний имeют ocнoвoпoлaгaющee знaчeниe для paзвития гpaждaнcкoгo oбщecтвa и экoнoмичecкoгo пpoцвeтaния. Иcтopия вceмиpнoй пayтины - этo тaкжe иcтopия бopьбы зa ocнoвныe пpaвa чeлoвeкa, вoзмoжнocти для дocтижeния кoтopыx нeизмepимo выpocли c paзвитиeм тexнoлoгий.

Google translation
for many users, the principles of unrestricted access to information and free expressions of opinion are of fundamental importance for the enjoyment of enjoyment The history of the world of patina is also the history of the struggle for basic human rights;
On the thread
for many users, the principles of unhindered access to information and free expression are fundamental to the development of civil society and economic prosperity. The history of the world wide web is also the history of the struggle for basic human rights,

The original source is of course

Let's say it's not plagiarism but is this something that the topic author (@Ratimov) can claim that is his own too?
No he can not.

But if we start reading the topic will anyone question at the first glance that the above samplings are not @Ratimov's own contents?
No. The way it has presented, no one will have any doubt that it's not @Ratimov's own contents unless we would see this topic from the OP

Question to those merit senders (DdmrDdmr (2), OgNasty (1), ETFbitcoin (1), mk4 (1), 20kevin20 (1), GazetaBitcoin (1)),

Did it look like the introduction (2 paragraphs) was entirely the author's (@Ratimov) own words when you sent the merits?
I am sure the answer will come Yes

Does it look like that it's just a lazy translation with some tweaks and you are feeling annoyed now?
The possible answer, Yes.

@Ratimov, you wanted to craft it in such a way that you wanted the credit of the article to be your own. This is not right either if this is not plagiarism.
If I would sent you merit then I would regret it after discovering this tactics.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 09:03:22 AM

We don't give a shit what your particular definition of plagiarism is.

That wasn’t my definition of plagiarism, you self-made nutcase.  I copied and pasted that definition of plagiarism from Yale.EDU.  Wasn’t it obvious?  Roll Eyes

So, I guess that you “don’t give a shit” what Yale University tells its faculty and students about plagiarism.  That is acceptable:  There is no reason for anyone to give a shit about your opinion.  (Drop the presumptuous “we”.  It is obviously not a royal “we”, for there is nothing royal about you; and it cannot be an editorial “we”, for you are an awful writer.)

literal nobodies

Ah, so you finally noticed my nym.  You know how when somebody takes the username, “BitcoinBillionaire”, “VIP Boss”, or “Supergenius”, it is usually the opposite of the truth?  ;-)
No one is a god.

mdayonliner, even if you didn’t want to read the whole 2-page thread, a skim would have informed you that I already spent several hours doing a a full side-by-side collation of the English.  Good work on the parts that you caught, but there was much more—actually, the whole thing except for the first two sentences which were based on the Asmakov article, but apparently expressed in Ratimov’s words (insofar as I can tell).

Lets all start google translating articles from other languages and opening new topics.
^^^ This.  Sums it up.

mdayonliner
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 09:43:15 AM

Are we going to question every single mistake and "mistake" when sending merit, especially to member who aren't merit source?
No, I am not.
I am trying to make a point here that those who sent merit to that topic, never thought that was not crafted in such a way so that it looks like OP's own contents.

Also have a look on the new discovery about the same contents: Use of article spinner and plagiarism

nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 7974

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 09:54:25 AM

I am trying to make a point here that those who sent merit to that topic, never thought that was not crafted in such a way so that it looks like OP's own contents.

If I see sources underneath a post, quite often that's enough for me to skip meriting it as I don't have unlimited merits and prefer wholly original thought.

I don't have a problem with those who do merit such posts. If they find the information valuable and wouldn't have seen it if Ratimov hadn't posted it, that's all that really matters.

We're not a literary forum, we're a forum about bitcoin.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
mdayonliner
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 09:59:36 AM

I don't have a problem with those who do merit such posts.
I too have no problem.

Just to clear again,
Question to those merit senders (DdmrDdmr (2), OgNasty (1), ETFbitcoin (1), mk4 (1), 20kevin20 (1), GazetaBitcoin (1))
Guys I am not accusing any of you because you sent merit. I am trying to find out that when you sent the merits you did not know that those contents were not @Ratimov's own.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: