Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers  (Read 5919 times)
HideYourKeys

Activity: 83
Merit: 57

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2024, 08:13:16 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2024, 08:27:25 PM by HideYourKeys
Merited by LoyceV (4), ABCbits (1)

The only point I do not understand in your Jig is how the washer is fixed in the correct position and what prevents it from moving after each letter is stamped.
From Stamping JIg Instructions Manual:
Once the washer is inserted, rotate the BitJig to the lock position, securing it firmly, note that the washer holder inside the base moves down
I assume there's some thread inside to "clamp" the washer in place, but I can't envision how that works since the washer fits through the hole of the base that moves down.

The only point I do not understand in your Jig is how the washer is fixed in the correct position and what prevents it from moving after each letter is stamped.
From Stamping JIg Instructions Manual:
Once the washer is inserted, rotate the BitJig to the lock position, securing it firmly, note that the washer holder inside the base moves down
I assume there's some thread inside to "clamp" the washer in place, but I can't envision how that works since the washer fits through the hole of the base that moves down.

Exactly.
Still, I don't understand how it is clamped, avoiding unwarranted movements.
I don't know if it is an industrial secret,  but it would be nice to know more.
I guess this is one of the most critical aspects for a good jig.

As LoyceV said, there is a threaded piece inside, which allows you to secure the washer. That piece has an inner diameter, which is slightly smaller than the washer's diameter, so it locks the washer when the jig is fully rotated to the lock position. In order to introduce the washer (which has a larger diameter as we already know), it is possible because this threaded piece which "clamps" the washer, has several lateral "gaps" which provide a slightly larger diameter than the washer. Therefore it can be introduced if the washer is rotated vertically and introduced through the gaps when the jig is at the fully "unlocked" position (pictures on pages 4-5 of the manual might help you visualize it). Tolerances are quite tight though, there were a few iterations before it was good enough...

We got a review last week from a substacker who wanted to test it, you can check the 4th image, which shows it better (it is in Spanish though, but you can translate it)

https://cryptosecurity.substack.com/p/hide-your-keys

Get your bitcoin seedphrase engraved in metal , at the lowest price. hideyourkeys.io
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2024, 10:09:49 PM
Merited by HideYourKeys (2)

[...]
Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas!
Looks really good, you did a great job with the modeling and I love your innovation that removes the need of an anvil!

I'd like to print the STL and try it for myself, to be honest, since I made my own open-source, customizable steel washer backup jig back in 2021:
n0nce's Steel Washer Backup jig (customisable)

It is much simpler than what you made, but people can get an STL for any washer size (metric, imperial, any size, any thickness).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HideYourKeys

Activity: 83
Merit: 57

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2024, 08:29:14 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2024, 10:01:48 PM by HideYourKeys
Merited by LoyceV (4)

[...]
Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas!
Looks really good, you did a great job with the modeling and I love your innovation that removes the need of an anvil!

I'd like to print the STL and try it for myself, to be honest, since I made my own open-source, customizable steel washer backup jig back in 2021:
n0nce's Steel Washer Backup jig (customisable)

It is much simpler than what you made, but people can get an STL for any washer size (metric, imperial, any size, any thickness).

Thanks for your feedback! I would love to give you the .STL files so you can try it, but that would be a risk as the files might spread all over the internet. Let me explain my thoughts:

The target is to get enough visibility, scale the project and if this jig "gets known" after some time, sell the mechanized one in CNC at a reasonable cost, and then release the .STL files for the basic version (therefore the official one in metal could be purchased, and the one in plastic could be made with a 3D printer + buying a steel disc a certain diameter and thickness, which are quite affordable). This would be a similar approach with blockstream Jade for instance, which is a HW that can be purchased officially, but the firmware is OS and you can flash it on many ESP32 boards.

In the meantime... if you live in Europe I can send one to you for free, so you can test it  Smiley  (you do not have to give a real name, and it could be sent to an InPost locker, so no real address is needed). At the bottom of the webpage you can see the TG, mail, etc... to contact ( https://hideyourkeys.io/ ), or send me a DM here

Get your bitcoin seedphrase engraved in metal , at the lowest price. hideyourkeys.io
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  

Jump to: