BlackHatCoiner
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 10159
A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me
|
 |
September 14, 2026, 07:18:02 PM Merited by satscraper (1) |
|
The v2.8.3 says it was released 30 minutes ago. satscraper must be a Wasabi Wallet contributor, there is no other explanation! 
|
|
|
|
lontivero
Full Member
 

Activity: 218
Merit: 207
Amazing times are coming
|
"Compatibility passphrase was used! Please consider generating a new wallet to ensure recoverability!"
If Wasabi has been displaying that message to you for the last 5 years, well… it's time to take action.
tl;dr
Because of a clipboard bug on macOS (OSX) in the Avalonia UI framework, users who created wallets by pasting complex passwords (with non-ASCII characters) got their password silently corrupted. When they later tried to log in by typing the correct password, it didn't match.
When a user enters their passphrase, if it is incorrect, Wasabi derives the corrupted passphrase and tries that one instead — in case of success, it alerts the user with the warning message above. We assume that after 5 years without any news about this issue, no one is affected. We will still give months before removing it.
Long version:
Some users were locked out of their wallets after updating Wasabi because the password they entered when logging in didn't match the password stored in the wallet file.
The Root Cause
There was a clipboard bug on macOS (OSX) in the Avalonia UI framework. When a user pasted a password from the clipboard:
1. Avalonia retrieved the clipboard content as raw bytes plus a "size" value. 2. The size was incorrectly taken from the string length (number of characters) instead of the byte length. 3. This matters because UTF-8 encoding uses variable bytes per character — special characters (like ä, ö, ñ, ¾) use 2–4 bytes each, while ASCII characters use 1 byte.
Example: A password like "Café" has 4 characters but takes 5 bytes in UTF-8 (C-a-f-é, where é = 2 bytes). The buggy code would only read 4 bytes, giving "Caf" plus a partial/corrupted character.
What Happened
Users who created wallets by pasting complex passwords (with non-ASCII characters) got their password silently truncated and corrupted. The wallet was created with the buggy password, but when they later tried to log in by typing the correct password, it didn't match.
The Fix
The compatibility feature tries multiple password variations when logging in:
1. The exact password entered. 2. The "buggy clipboard" version (truncated to string length in bytes). 3. A variant where the last character might be the replacement character \ufffd.
If the original password fails but a buggy variant works, the user is warned: "Compatibility passphrase was used! Please consider generating a new wallet to ensure recoverability!"
This allows affected users to access their funds while warning them that their wallet was created with a corrupted password (which would be unrecoverable using standard BIP39 tools).
|
|
|
|
|
|
Kruw (OP)
|
|
Protect your privacy - Coinjoin with Wasabi Wallet https://coinjoin.kruw.io/
|
|
|
|
Kruw (OP)
|
 |
September 26, 2026, 01:44:02 PM |
|
A new version will be released soon to fix a bug where the exchange rate gets stuck.
|
Protect your privacy - Coinjoin with Wasabi Wallet https://coinjoin.kruw.io/
|
|
|
WW Downloader
Newbie

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
|
 |
October 02, 2026, 08:46:19 PM |
|
Hi, I downloaded the software and wanted to create my first wallet today.
Until block header 969,000 (of now 975,228) and a bit everything went fine, but no I'm stuck with less than one header block per minute. This can't be it...
Shutting down the GUI and restarting didn't help. Neither did switching Discreet Mode on/off. Most of the time, I don't have 12 Peers connected (if that matters).
Filter headers: almost as many as Block headers
Compact filters: about 50% of that
Blocks: dito
Your suggestions?
|
|
|
|
|
Forsyth Jones
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 2297
I love Bitcoin!
|
 |
October 02, 2026, 10:27:44 PM |
|
Hi, I downloaded the software and wanted to create my first wallet today.
Until block header 969,000 (of now 975,228) and a bit everything went fine, but no I'm stuck with less than one header block per minute. This can't be it...
Shutting down the GUI and restarting didn't help. Neither did switching Discreet Mode on/off. Most of the time, I don't have 12 Peers connected (if that matters).
Filter headers: almost as many as Block headers
Compact filters: about 50% of that
Blocks: dito
Your suggestions?
From what you described, your problem is somewhat similar to mine... I don't know how I solved it, I just tried another day and I managed to access the wallet after validating the peers, blocks, etc. I would like to know why Wasabi has this long verification process that can cause loading freezes (and my case wasn't even the first time I used it, I had accessed the wallet before several times). My case wasn't the first, and apparently it happens randomly (as I mentioned before, I just tried again the next day and the problem didn't occur again so far).
|
|
|
|
|
Kruw (OP)
|
 |
October 02, 2026, 11:14:51 PM |
|
Your suggestions?
Are you using the default settings, or did you connect Wasabi to your full node?
|
Protect your privacy - Coinjoin with Wasabi Wallet https://coinjoin.kruw.io/
|
|
|
WW Downloader
Newbie

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
|
 |
October 02, 2026, 11:37:13 PM |
|
Yes, I'm using default setting, and I'm not using a full node.
Would it hurt if I killed the program and try again another day?
|
|
|
|
|
Coinjoiner21
Jr. Member

Activity: 33
Merit: 31
|
 |
October 03, 2026, 07:03:19 AM |
|
Until block header 969,000 (of now 975,228) and a bit everything went fine, but no I'm stuck with less than one header block per minute. This can't be it... Interesting. Wasabi displayed that the latest block header is 975,228 when this block is days ahead to be mined? Are you sure it did? Can you check in your Logs.txt just to be extra sure?
|
|
|
|
|
nc50lc
Legendary
Online
Activity: 3290
Merit: 9229
Self-proclaimed Genius
|
Until block header 969,000 (of now 975,228) and a bit everything went fine, -snip- Luke's Bitcoin BLAKE2b is currently at 975,283 right now based on a blockexplorer's result. Perhaps your Wasabi wallet accidentally followed the wrong fork at the chain split height? ( quite close to 969,000)
|
|
|
|
WW Downloader
Newbie

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
|
 |
October 04, 2026, 01:12:37 PM Last edit: October 04, 2026, 01:41:00 PM by WW Downloader |
|
That'd make sense - now I've got all the blocks, and am back to under 970,000.
Now I'm at the Filter headers. Let's see.
Edit: Ten minutes later the old problem is back!
Edit 2: And again! That way I'll never get a working wallet... will check the logs. What should I look for? Didn't find "975" in it.
|
|
|
|
|
Coinjoiner21
Jr. Member

Activity: 33
Merit: 31
|
 |
October 04, 2026, 02:08:23 PM |
|
Edit 2: And again! That way I'll never get a working wallet... will check the logs. What should I look for? Didn't find "975" in it. You will not find "975", because the height peers announce isn't logged. Try looking for "Timeout (90s) waiting for filters from P2P" or "Auto-released stale filter assignment" repeating. It means that peers aren't delivering filters. You can start Wasabi with wassabee --loglevel=debug, it could then show something like "Waiting until filters are processed (A < B)", where B is ~975k.
|
|
|
|
|
WW Downloader
Newbie

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
|
 |
October 04, 2026, 02:23:14 PM |
|
Thanks, I'll try that.
|
|
|
|
|
|