Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:29:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC  (Read 7426 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:50:10 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 09:10:50 PM by Maged

First, allow me to direct you attention to this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53888.0

According to the OP in this thread, a bet was set where OldEngineer would pay 5BTC to the person who correctly guessed the date that BTC would cross the $4 threshold.  In the event of a tie, the prize would go to the first guesser.

On Dec. 6th US central time, I guessed that the price would cross $4 on Dec. 19th.  This is exactly what happened.  It crossed $4 sometime around 10pm US central time on Dec. 19.

But, apparently, OldEngineer claims that Goat won.  Goat guessed Dec. 20th and was also correct since he was guessing according to Thai Time.  OldEngineer claims Goat won because a post on Dec. 7th made the clarification that GMT would be the deciding time.

But, this post, which clarified that GMT would be the deciding time, was made AFTER I cast my guess.  Why the hell should I, a person who uses US central time, make a guess based upon GMT?

OldEngineer, please send me BTC as, per the rules of your OP, I am clearly the winner.  It is not fair to go by some rule that was just "created" in the middle of the game when my guess was not cast according to those rules.

Edit:  I really would not like to make this a big deal if I don't have to.  Please fulfill your end of the agreement and there will be no problems.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:52:13 PM

i don't care. ITS ONLY FUCKING 5 BTC!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:53:21 PM

i don't care. ITS ONLY FUCKING 5 BTC!

Somehow I have a feeling you're not in college.

Whether its failure to pay in a bet or failure to pay in a market transaction, scamming and dishonesty are not welcome on this forum.

I don't suppose you would care to, out of the goodness of your heart, give me 5 of your own BTC then, since its "only fucking 5 BTC."
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:53:37 PM

First, allow me to direct you attention to this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53888.0

According to the OP in this thread, a bet was set where OldEngineer would pay 5BTC to the person who correctly guessed the date that BTC would cross the $4 threshold.  In the event of a tie, the prize would go to the first guesser.

On Dec. 6th US central time, I guessed that the price would cross $4 on Dec. 19th.  This is exactly what happened.  It crossed $4 sometime around 10pm US central time on Dec. 19.

But, apparently, OldEngineer claims that Goat won.  Goat guessed Dec. 20th and was also correct since he was guessing according to Thai Time.  OldEngineer claims Goat won because a post on Dec. 7th made the clarification that GMT would be the deciding time.

But, this post, which clarified that GMT would be the deciding time, was made AFTER I cast my guess.  Why the hell should I, a person who uses US central time, make a guess based upon GMT?

OldEngineer, please send me BTC as, per the rules of your OP, I am clearly the winner.  It is not fair to go by some rule that was just "created" in the middle of the game when my guess was not cast according to those rules.

Edit:  I really would not like to make this a big deal if I don't have to.  Please fulfill your end of the agreement and there will be no problems.

+1... I'm siding with you on this

(BFL)^2 < 0
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:56:03 PM

You can't seriously be claiming skill in predicting, to the hour, the time at which the $4 threshold was broken?  I suppose you should have adjusted your guess after clarification of the rules, then. I think we're all just f'in monkeys throwing poo at a dartboard.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:59:38 PM

You can't seriously be claiming skill in predicting, to the hour, the time at which the $4 threshold was broken?  I suppose you should have adjusted your guess after clarification of the rules, then. I think we're all just f'in monkeys throwing poo at a dartboard.

Dude, I didn't even check the thread again until yesterday.

You can't seriously be claiming that your bogus "rule," which was enforced without making sure that every guesser knew about it, didn't change anything at all.  Clearly it DID change things and, as the hoster of the bet, you should have made sure that every guesser was informed of this rule change.

It's funny.  People like to bitch and complain when people running complex operations like exchanges or other BTC services fail to notify their customers UP FRONT about all the rules and stipulations that they can expect.  Well, I'm bitching and complaining because what you did is no different, making some random change, not telling anybody, assuming that all guessers would find this out for themselves.  How do you know that this new information wouldn't make me change my guess?

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 04:59:57 PM

he have not claimed that he had skills, only that he was closer then Goat. he is only lucky

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:00:54 PM

First, allow me to direct you attention to this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53888.0

According to the OP in this thread, a bet was set where OldEngineer would pay 5BTC to the person who correctly guessed the date that BTC would cross the $4 threshold.  In the event of a tie, the prize would go to the first guesser.

On Dec. 6th US central time, I guessed that the price would cross $4 on Dec. 19th.  This is exactly what happened.  It crossed $4 sometime around 10pm US central time on Dec. 19.

But, apparently, OldEngineer claims that Goat won.  Goat guessed Dec. 20th and was also correct since he was guessing according to Thai Time.  OldEngineer claims Goat won because a post on Dec. 7th made the clarification that GMT would be the deciding time.

But, this post, which clarified that GMT would be the deciding time, was made AFTER I cast my guess.  Why the hell should I, a person who uses US central time, make a guess based upon GMT?

OldEngineer, please send me BTC as, per the rules of your OP, I am clearly the winner.  It is not fair to go by some rule that was just "created" in the middle of the game when my guess was not cast according to those rules.

IIRC, weren't you the guy also siding with the thief who accidentally got sent Bitcoin by mistake by Phantomcircuit who works for Intersango?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:01:11 PM

he have not claimed that he had skills, only that he was closer then Goat. he is only lucky

There is absolutely no doubt that I both:  1)  Cast my vote before Goat and 2) Cast my vote before the new "rule" was implemented.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:01:49 PM

Edit:  I really would not like to make this a big deal if I don't have to.  Please fulfill your end of the agreement and there will be no problems.

IIRC, weren't you the guy also siding with the thief who accidentally got sent Bitcoin by mistake by Phantomcircuit who works for Intersango?

I don't even know what IIRC is.

Edit:  I do remember what you're talking about, I think.  I recall some matter where some exchange mistakenly sent some guy a bunch of BTC who didn't want to return it.  I think I remember questioning the legality of the exchange's complaint when they were talking about coming after the guy legally.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:04:27 PM

If he was, I'm going to disagree with him on that, but that doesn't affect the issue of old_engineer not paying up.

(BFL)^2 < 0
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:05:10 PM

Nothing like a poor loser starting a new thread. Old_engineer, started the contest, someone said "what time zone" rather early on, and he said "GMT". GMT is the standard time zone in many things because it is the standard. You know, the way that Central time is referred commonly listed as "UTC - 06:00" just to explicitly show what time zone it is? And of course UTC is the replacement of GMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time).

Why would anyone use GMT as the standard? Because it is. When you're dealing with a global environment, what else would you use? Anyway, you lost out on 5BTC because you got in early on a free contest, never corrected your vote (basically because you had a lucky guess), and now you're whining about it. Welcome to the Internet. His game, his rules.

Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:05:32 PM

Edit:  I really would not like to make this a big deal if I don't have to.  Please fulfill your end of the agreement and there will be no problems.

Edit:  I do remember what you're talking about, I think.  I recall some matter where some exchange mistakenly sent some guy a bunch of BTC who didn't want to return it.  I think I remember questioning the legality of the exchange's complaint when they were talking about coming after the guy legally.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:11:47 PM

Nothing like a poor loser starting a new thread. Old_engineer, started the contest, someone said "what time zone" rather early on, and he said "GMT". GMT is the standard time zone in many things because it is the standard. You know, the way that Central time is referred commonly listed as "UTC - 06:00" just to explicitly show what time zone it is? And of course UTC is the replacement of GMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time).

Why would anyone use GMT as the standard? Because it is. When you're dealing with a global environment, what else would you use? Anyway, you lost out on 5BTC because you got in early on a free contest, never corrected your vote (basically because you had a lucky guess), and now you're whining about it. Welcome to the Internet.

All of that is irrelevant since I cast my guess before GMT was even mentioned.

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:12:17 PM

A pm I sent to OldEngineer just now.

Hello,

Please, sir, with all due respect, I have met all the winning criteria of your bet post.  There is absolutely no doubt that not-only did I guess correctly according to the OP, but I also:  1.) Guessed before Goat and 2.)  I guessed before the suggestion/implementation of your new "rule."  Since I was not informed of this rule change, I could not have changed my guess.  The fact that the bet is of a guessing-nature does nothing to change the fact that your "rule" was unfair as it did not apply to everyone equally.  Some were aware of the rule before guessing...I was not.

Because of this, the game is demonstrated to have been played under false pretenses if you continue to maintain the validity of your "rule."  Not everyone playing played by the same rules, and thus your game was slanted.

I understand it is "only 5 BTC" but I would encourage you to follow through on being decent and honest in this matter.

Thank you.

-The Joint
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:14:04 PM

Why would anyone use GMT as the standard? Because it is. When you're dealing with a global environment, what else would you use? Anyway, you lost out on 5BTC because you got in early on a free contest, never corrected your vote (basically because you had a lucky guess), and now you're whining about it. Welcome to the Internet.

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.
When you make a game, you can decide on the rules. If someone makes a game with unclear rules and then "changes" them with a clarifying comment, it's up to the players to conform to the rule changes.

Serge
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:14:40 PM

how's OldEngineer was supposed to notify everyone?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:16:48 PM

how's OldEngineer was supposed to notify everyone?

That's not my problem, I was the player.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:17:00 PM

i certainly don't want to open up that big wound again, but that was a nasty black eye on Bitcoin at the time.  i think it was during the summer.  Patrick of Intersango wrote some new code which accidentally sent a large amt of btc to some random guy who decided to keep the btc.  it was a clear mistake.  his identity was even revealed.

personally, i think he was wrong to do this but i was surprised over how many ppl sided with him.  basically most of the Old Guard folks like me sided with Patrick and tried to politely convince him to return the btc whereas the others thought he should be able to keep it.

all sorts of nasty legal threats were made even by the lawyers of this Forum.  i don't know the final outcome.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:17:20 PM

When you make a game, you can decide on the rules. If someone makes a game with unclear rules and then "changes" them with a clarifying comment, it's up to the players to conform to the rule changes.

Dude, do you know what deception is?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: