Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:55:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC  (Read 7424 times)
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

only thing you've achieved with this thread is ruin your own rep imo and make people like old_engineer think twice before offering fun free money to community in a form of simple games and contests.

if you say the winning is a big deal to you then you should have clearly followed the thread and readjusted your guess based on rule clarifications, if it wasn't a big deal then what's happening with your claim now is an attempt of free money grab because of conflicting time zones.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:55:07 PM

it wasn't a scam though, there was a winner and old_engineer paid his dues, although you don't agree with the outcome result.

>>> It's not exactly a thread that I needed to keep tabs on... "Omg, I wonder what this person guessed....omg, I wonder what this person guessed."

but now it is a huge deal?   make up your mind =)

The thread wasn't a huge deal because a surge towards $4 hadn't happened yet.  I cared to find out who won, and I actually had forgotten my guess and thought that I had guessed the 16th.  When I looked back and saw that I guessed the 19th, that's when I knew I'd won.
well you did not win Goat did. Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:58:34 PM

the joint did make his concerns known prior to the distribution of the winnings. It can be argued that the timezones prior to the standardization announcement should have been based on the user's local time, as shown in there profile. Because of this confusion, the distribution of the funds should have at least been brought into public opinion after his announcement of his ruling, but before the funds were distributed.

That being said, this was a free contest, and nothing about the rule change reduced the joint's chances of being correct. Thus, I don't think that it really matters how this should have been handled. It was handled, and not in an unfair manner.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:06:35 PM

the joint did make his concerns known prior to the distribution of the winnings. It can be argued that the timezones prior to the standardization announcement should have been based on the user's local time, as shown in there profile. Because of this confusion, the distribution of the funds should have at least been brought into public opinion after his announcement of his ruling, but before the funds were distributed.

That being said, this was a free contest, and nothing about the rule change reduced the joint's chances of being correct. Thus, I don't think that it really matters how this should have been handled. It was handled, and not in an unfair manner.

Maged,

Your statement that "nothing about the rule change reduced the joint's chances of being correct" is irrelevant, and instead, it should be "nothing about the rule change reduced the joint's chances of winning.  You must keep in mind that there was an additional rule as stated in his OP that stated in the event of a tie, the winner would be the first correct guesser.  Now, Goat and I tied in the sense that we guessed the correct date according to our corresponding time zones.  But, since I was apparently allowed to change my guess under the rule change, it then became impossible for me to win.  I could no longer pick Dec. 20th, the selected winning answer and Goat's answer, because my guess would be instantly nullified since he had already guessed it.  Thus, the rule change itself meant that I not only had reduced chances of being correct, I had no chance of winning.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:06:59 PM

If someone says to me 9 o'clock, Do I always first assume they mean 9:00 rather than 21:00?  Because, otherwise they would have clarified, yes?  Of  course not.  People are idiots.  And on the internet if someone says, 9 oclock, do I first assume they mean GMT?  Again, no, they probably forgot that everyone doesn't live in their time zone.  So, I side with old Engineer, because if you say the "19th", you might as well say "monday".  Ambiguity rules it out.

Edit: I hate timezones, the imperial system, and AM and PM.  Why, god, do we still use AM and PM?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:11:45 PM

If someone says to me 9 o'clock, Do I always first assume they mean 9:00 rather than 21:00?  Because, otherwise they would have clarified, yes?  Of  course not.  People are idiots.  And on the internet if someone says, 9 oclock, do I first assume they mean GMT?  Again, no, they probably forgot that everyone doesn't live in their time zone.  So, I side with old Engineer, because if you say the "19th", you might as well say "monday".  Ambiguity rules it out.

In either case, the rules were set up such that it is incredibly easy to determine who guessed first. 
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 07:14:51 PM

The rules are such that it is easy to see the joint guessed Dec 19th first, but the problem is that it doesn't show if he guessed Dec. 19 UTC or Dec. 20 UTC. Since the forums run on UTC by default (not sure if that can be changed), UTC time zone is implied in which case he was off by a day. Furthermore, the joint says when he saw that the price was close to $4, he kept tabs on the thread. Unfortunately (for him), he failed to notice the clarification of the rules.

That should be the end of it. You make a mistake, or fail to keep up on an ever changing world, and it's your loss. To go on a rant about the supposed "screwing" is misguided at best. When I saw the rule initially, I didn't figure there'd be a tie, but even so the lack of a time zone was something I noticed. Either way, chalk this one up to the file cabinet of experience and move on.

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:15:49 PM

The joint, I agree that you should have gotten at least 50% of the prize winnings. But it doesn't do you any good to argue it to death. You didn't pay to enter the contest, therefore, if the guy who is giving away the money wants to make a ruling that doesn't favor you, he has full power to do so.

Believe me, I understand how it must feel to know you won something and have it given to someone else. But you have to let go of things that are out of your control. Life is too short for this.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:17:42 PM

The joint, I agree that you should have gotten at least 50% of the prize winnings. But it doesn't do you any good to argue it to death. You didn't pay to enter the contest, therefore, if the guy who is giving away the money wants to make a ruling that doesn't favor you, he has full power to do so.

Believe me, I understand how it must feel to know you won something and have it given to someone else. But you have to let go of things that are out of your control. Life is too short for this.

Like I said earlier, the amount doesn't matter.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:17:45 PM

Jesus Christ, this isn't hard to understand.  I live in Illinois, so I made a guess based upon my time zone.   If my friend asks me, "Hey, what time are we going to dinner?", I don't know about you but I always make sure to ask him, "You mean, Illinois time or Japan time?"

I live in Hellanois too.  We're probably the only two people in this state that know what Bitcoin is (hyperbole is fun).

I'm an extremely small player in this experiment as I suspect you are -- my net worth is something like 30 BTC and I spent all my pell grant excesses on mining equipment and I do that at a meager 1.5 GH/s.

In the interest of the spirit of the season and global good will and a nod to locality, I donate thee 1 BTC.

Now, Karma -- let my long position on Bitcoinica take off, please  Grin

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
jwzguy

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:18:57 PM

Holy shit, thanks for not reading. Good luck pal.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:20:22 PM

No, I read it.  Letting go and acting on a belief are not mutually exclusive.
jwzguy

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:22:27 PM

What's that belief? Life is fair? You have a lot to learn...especially about how to talk to people without sounding like a entitled ass.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:37:18 PM

In either case, the rules were set up such that it is incredibly easy to determine who guessed first. 

It isn't a question on who guessed first.  It is a question on what exactly was your guess.  For all we know, you originally meant GMT.  Also, if no one can have the same guess as another person then either the first person that bets sets the timezone for all other bets (otherwise bets would overlap) or it can be deduced that a standard timezone is in effect. 
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:38:12 PM

What's that belief? Life is fair? You have a lot to learn...especially about how to talk to people without sounding like a entitled ass.

Ironic.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:40:30 PM

It isn't a question on who guessed first.  It is a question on what exactly was your guess.  For all we know, you originally meant GMT.  Also, if no one can have the same guess as another person then either the first person that bets sets the timezone for all other bets (otherwise bets would overlap) or it can be deduced that a standard timezone is in effect. 

Not a sound deduction.  You can still guess it, you simply wouldn't win.
jwzguy

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:40:52 PM

Ironic.

Is it? Please elaborate. You might be able to fit your other foot in your mouth too.
Greed

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:41:09 PM

Stop whining. You didn't lose any money.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:42:41 PM

Jesus Christ, this isn't hard to understand.  I live in Illinois, so I made a guess based upon my time zone.   If my friend asks me, "Hey, what time are we going to dinner?", I don't know about you but I always make sure to ask him, "You mean, Illinois time or Japan time?"

I live in Hellanois too.  We're probably the only two people in this state that know what Bitcoin is (hyperbole is fun).

I'm an extremely small player in this experiment as I suspect you are -- my net worth is something like 30 BTC and I spent all my pell grant excesses on mining equipment and I do that at a meager 1.5 GH/s.

In the interest of the spirit of the season and global good will and a nod to locality, I donate thee 1 BTC.

Now, Karma -- let my long position on Bitcoinica take off, please  Grin

Haha really?  Nice!  And thank you!

If I obtain the original 5 BTC I will, in the spirit of the season, kindly repay you and the other guy that generously donated 1 BTC, and send an additional BTC Smiley

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:45:14 PM

Stop whining. You didn't lose any money.

Nice name.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: