Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:57:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to the bulls...  (Read 8167 times)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

the bitcoin economy
HAHAHAHA Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjcmurfy (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 02:18:18 PM

I don't get the joke...

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:23:01 PM

i dare say an apology is coming from somewhere!

I'll wait a few days and eat my hat if I am wrong. I don't have a problem with being proved wrong. Anything that strengthens the bitcoin economy is good, even if I have made a balls of my trading decisions. There is nothing stoping me from buying back in, but I still think my data will be proved correct at least to some extent. This could well be the last push. The only thing I wish is that I had waited a little longer.

I saw the same high possibility of a drop as you did, and I also sold out before today's rally.  It's not really being "wrong": no one can forecast one big player buying $250k worth of bitcoins. The bid side didn't budge, either, so it was all new money - very unexpected.

If that had been a 60k btc sell, the price would have hit $2, no question about it.  It's still a small and unpredictable market.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:32:57 PM

I don't get the joke...
There is no Bitcoin economy. Bitcoin is currently nothing but a USD middleman USD => BTC => USD and a speculative investment.

Or have you seen people earning Bitcoin wages yet?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:38:31 PM

i dare say an apology is coming from somewhere!

I'll wait a few days and eat my hat if I am wrong. I don't have a problem with being proved wrong. Anything that strengthens the bitcoin economy is good, even if I have made a balls of my trading decisions. There is nothing stoping me from buying back in, but I still think my data will be proved correct at least to some extent. This could well be the last push. The only thing I wish is that I had waited a little longer.

I saw the same high possibility of a drop as you did, and I also sold out before today's rally.  It's not really being "wrong": no one can forecast one big player buying $250k worth of bitcoins. The bid side didn't budge, either, so it was all new money - very unexpected.

If that had been a 60k btc sell, the price would have hit $2, no question about it.  It's still a small and unpredictable market.

Before this most recent spike a single 60k BTC sell would not have taken the price to $2.  It wouldn't have even broken $3.  Perhaps subsequent selling would have broken $3, but even that's not certain.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 02:50:50 PM

The divergence is back to being huge again:

@old_engineer: I don't think the money was necessarily new, it could have just as easily come have come from off the order books on mtgox, or from bitcoinica. There is no way to know for sure if it is new money or not.

@Blitzboom: I don't know about you, but I know that I am making a decent income from my bitcoin business.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 02:59:37 PM

you forgot, that by definition a bitcoin mining person is a bitcoin bull. why sell if prices continue to grow?  Shocked
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 03:29:37 PM

The divergence is back to being huge again:

@old_engineer: I don't think the money was necessarily new, it could have just as easily come have come from off the order books on mtgox, or from bitcoinica. There is no way to know for sure if it is new money or not.

@Blitzboom: I don't know about you, but I know that I am making a decent income from my bitcoin business.

thats actually great news.  congratulations.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 08:59:43 PM

They represent the active trades that have actually taken place on gox. I.e. if I buy 1btc, someone who has an unfulfilled ask sitting on the order book sells me the 1btc, but it is the 1btc buy that is being counted as the initiating trade not the other way around. If you post an order for a price that is not currently available, it will sit there until it is fulfilled. And it is the fulfilling order that is counted.

What is that supposed to imply?

I guess if you have time to wait you post an offer and if you care less about price and just want asap you go to the market. So recently the sellers have been more impatient?

I'm not trying to imply anything. That post was in response to PatrickHarnett's question.

Thank you.  It may  or may not be a relevant metric, but interesting that you have captured the data.  Time series analysis can be fun, but it also might be random, or a sentiment of the general movement of the trading.
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:49:42 PM

I don't get the joke...
There is no Bitcoin economy. Bitcoin is currently nothing but a USD middleman USD => BTC => USD and a speculative investment.

Or have you seen people earning Bitcoin wages yet?

every commercial SR-seller..
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:51:47 PM

And your Bitcoin wages are your main source of income? Do you not convert the majority of them to fiat money to sustain yourself?

If so, there may be a tiny Bitcoin economy.
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 12:11:42 PM

And your Bitcoin wages are your main source of income? Do you not convert the majority of them to fiat money to sustain yourself?

If so, there may be a tiny Bitcoin economy.

I think it's more of a meta-currency.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:32:31 PM

I think it's more of a meta-currency.

Thought this BS was thoroughly refuted:
http://bitcoinmedia.com/bitcoin-replaces-western-union-thats-all/

Bitcoin can be many things but at the moment it's at it's not even in it's infancy. It's a newly hatched dragon. Wait until it flies and breathes fire.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

Supplies on MtGox will be increasing from today onwards, I'll wager.

You can see that on the 31st, the daily bid (buying) volume briefly exceeded the ask (selling) volume, but it immediately went straight back to the way it has been for days with the asks greatly exceeding the bids. I honestly cannot understand why so many of you people are buying when it is clear as day that there is some major cashing out going on at overinflated prices.

Buyers are getting absolutely fleeced at the moment. If you would all just have a little patience, you will get these coins for MUCH cheaper very soon.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:38:35 PM

Supplies on MtGox will be increasing from today onwards, I'll wager.

You can see that on the 31st, the daily bid volume briefly exceeded the ask volume, but it immediately went straight back to the asks greatly exceeding the bids. I honestly cannot understand why so many of you people are buying when it is clear that there is some major cashing out going on at overinflated prices.

i know this must be torture: up 22% from 4.3.

c'mon over to the good side mj, you're a bull  Wink
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 08:39:32 PM

I will, once the price is a little more realistic again! If I bought now, I'd just be giving my money directly to you, then be on the losing side once again when the price falls. I won't say it's not torture, but I made 95% profit already, and I'm happy with that. I'll wait, I have faith in the data...  Grin

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:44:37 PM

mj: Yeah keep posting those charts.  You posted them on my New Year's Eve Rally thread and derp! It went up to $5! Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
mjcmurfy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 08:48:31 PM

mj: Yeah keep posting those charts.  You posted them on my New Year's Eve Rally thread and derp! It went up to $5! Grin

Yep. That was an epic fail. But I wouldn't presume to try and predict crazy moves like that in the short term.
The bulls are losing steam, though, I can feel it. And the data is confirming it.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:48:58 PM

I will, once the price is a little more realistic again! If I bought now, I'd just be giving my money directly to you, then be on the losing side once again when the price falls. I won't say it's not torture, but I made 95% profit already, and I'm happy with that. I'll wait, I have faith in the data...  Grin

i guarantee you won't be buying them from me.  i already made it clear i was holding for much higher prices.  seriously; i don't trade.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:58:21 PM

i guarantee you won't be buying them from me.  i already made it clear i was holding for much higher prices.  seriously; i don't trade.

Buy and hold isnt a smart trading method. But whatever.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: