Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:10:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: any good bitcoin trader accepting PayPal?  (Read 2716 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:52:10 PM

You say it is possible to reverse any transaction with Paypal? I'd like to know how, because it seems to me that Paypal is in bed with the scammers and will rule in favor of the seller of a digital good if you were stupid enough to use paypal to pay for it. This is my experience anyway. If there is a way around it, I'd love to know what it is in order to get my money back.

They use a credit card to fund Paypal, and then dispute the charge on the credit card. The credit card company does a chargeback and Paypal will have to comply or it will eat the loss.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Majixagi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:21:24 AM

You say it is possible to reverse any transaction with Paypal? I'd like to know how, because it seems to me that Paypal is in bed with the scammers and will rule in favor of the seller of a digital good if you were stupid enough to use paypal to pay for it. This is my experience anyway. If there is a way around it, I'd love to know what it is in order to get my money back.

They use a credit card to fund Paypal, and then dispute the charge on the credit card. The credit card company does a chargeback and Paypal will have to comply or it will eat the loss.

So you have to have a credit card as your back up funding. I had a bank account, so I suppose I may be able to reverse the transaction with the bank then.

has not sold out
gabbello

Activity: 116
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:02:26 PM

You can try to use VirWox to buy SecondLife Dollars with PayPal that you can then exchange (in the same place) for BTC. But you will have to pay a bit extra for this due to commissions.

Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:42:02 AM

No one around here accepts paypal for long cause they usually get burned within a few trades.
bangi

Activity: 68

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:21:45 AM

No one around here accepts paypal for long cause they usually get burned within a few trades.

How come some do accept paypal? I am confused as I am new to bitcoin.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:31:54 AM

A few people accept Paypal because for them its easier than having to arrange a bank deposit/wire transfer/face to face cash exchange. But in general those that do will only deal with long time reputable members so they can be pretty sure they won't get chargebacked. You'd be better off assuming no one will accept PP - those that do won't deal with newbies and the likes.
bangi

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:23:29 AM

A few people accept Paypal because for them its easier than having to arrange a bank deposit/wire transfer/face to face cash exchange. But in general those that do will only deal with long time reputable members so they can be pretty sure they won't get chargebacked. You'd be better off assuming no one will accept PP - those that do won't deal with newbies and the likes.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Yeah that sucks if the person did the charge back though.
cahirlet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:39:19 AM

Virwox is a good choice, used them pretty much all of the time. Haven't have any issues with them. However, do take note that their fees are really high. I guess its mainly due to the fact that it's difficulty to prevent paypal charge backs.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:14:06 AM

Virwox is a good choice, used them pretty much all of the time. Haven't have any issues with them. However, do take note that their fees are really high. I guess its mainly due to the fact that it's difficulty to prevent paypal charge backs.

The fees ain't a problem. But since we have to do the currency conversion two times, and the trade volume is generally low, sometimes we are forced to buy Bitcoins at a considerable premium.
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:36:56 AM

chargeback is a big problem, even for legit and not btc business. They receive the coins, then chargeback saying they didn't received the coins, and you ends up without coins and without money, crying in your bed before sleep
cahirlet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:42:24 AM

The fees ain't a problem. But since we have to do the currency conversion two times, and the trade volume is generally low, sometimes we are forced to buy Bitcoins at a considerable premium.
I had a few trades but they were fulfilled considerably short time. May not be all of the time though. Transferring from USD to SLL to BTC does take some time. But they provide an option for PayPal deposits, I guess it is worth it.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:35:54 AM

The fees are a big reason why I don't bother using the Virwox trade route. As much as I'd like to buy BTC with my PP it's just far too costly to bother (you lose something like 5% last time I did the calcs) and to me that's really not worth it. Easier to do a F2F transaction/bank transfer with less fees and no one worrying about chargebacks.
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:55:24 AM

there is a thread cited on newbie readme about paypal issues.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164254.0

Quoting the first post:

There have been an increasing number of posts from recently registered users wanting to buy bitcoins with PayPal. While new users may indeed be enthusiastic about Bitcoin and be accustomed to using PayPal for prior purchases, this type of request is also exactly what scammers do to steal bitcoins. It is relatively simple to charge back or dispute any PayPal payment after receiving irrevocable bitcoins, and scam purchases are used as a way to empty stolen PayPal accounts.

Traditional payment networks (including PayPal) suffer inherent weaknesses:
  • Some payment fraud is unavoidable,
  • Completely non-reversible transactions are not possible; payment processors are involved in disputes,
  • Identity fraud and remote account takeover using stolen credentials are possible,
  • Payment processors can block funds and freeze accounts,
  • You must provide your credit card or account number to sites, which can be stolen by hackers to spend your money.

Bitcoin has none of these problems:
  • Confirmed Bitcoin payments are absolutely trustable,
  • Payments are non-reversible; money cannot be recalled by the sender,
  • Identity theft is a non-issue - payment recipients don't need to obtain the identity of buyers or store personal information to take payments,
  • Nobody else can interfere with your Bitcoin balance or your ability to send or receive money,
  • You are in control of your money - when you send a payment, the recipient or hackers cannot make other fraudulent withdraws from your wallet.

Why is it difficult to purchase Bitcoins with your old-fashioned money?

If this is the fault of Bitcoin, it is because Bitcoin is too good. If you receive a payment with Bitcoin, you can be 100% sure that the money is yours and it can't be disputed or taken back out of your wallet. PayPal, Credit cards, ACH checking transfer and money wires, Chase Quickpay, Dwolla, and most any other banking payments, however, can be reversed - they are less trustworthy than the Bitcoins you are trying to buy.

This is why even Bitcoin exchanges have rigorous verification procedures - they need to verify your identity thoroughly, not because of Bitcoin, but because they are taking your government currency, transferred through banks and payment processors, which is fundamentally problematic. Exchanges that only deal with Bitcoin-based virtual currencies (such as Bitcoin to Namecoin) have no such identity requirements.

In addition, PayPal specifically disallows currency exchanges, and are Bitcoin-hostile. When you complain that you were ripped off, it's just as likely your account will be frozen.

Quote from: PayPal Acceptable Use Agreement

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or certain multi-level marketing programs, (c) are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item, (e) are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants, (f), are associated with the sale of traveler's checks or money orders, (h) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses, or (i) involve certain credit repair, debt settlement services, credit transactions or insurance activities.

So how can you obtain bitcoins, if nobody on the Internet can tell the difference between you and a foreign crime syndicate? If you don't wish to go through the lengthy verification procedures on exchanges, I recommend you first investigate local traders who are willing to exchange bitcoins in person. Sites such as https://localbitcoins.com/ or http://www.tradebitcoin.com/ may help you find local Bitcoin users. Also, Bitcoin is for commerce - sell something and accept Bitcoin!

efc17

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

I've used Virwox before a few times without any problems,  but the rates arn't always the best.

There are other places,  I think some guys on localbitcoins do.

Why does it have to be paypal?  Sureley if you have a paypal a/c you have a bank a/c too.

If anyone gets a moment take a look at my website I made, I have been learning HTML for 2 months and would like some advice on it please:

simplycoin.co.uk

Check it out and let me know.

Cheers!

3KNSWuue88Rtn9GY6XV3tQTQUd3MwaDuKW
MFqZJ2YQzuFMKSNqmu8uh6xoqqM3FDFrwt
https://www.gate.io/hodl?ref=3553
r34tr783tr78

Activity: 481
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:31:21 AM

There is another thread with some nasty details about selling cryptocoins or any other non-reversible payment system for paypal: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14632.0
It's a sticker from the owner of the forum at the currency exchange subforum.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:37:57 AM

Just use IvanRussia of LocalBitcoins. He accepts Paypal payments and has done more than 900 successful trades so far. I don't know how he manages to avoid getting conned, but he is a very trusted seller.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: