Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:38:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should a Jewish resturant owner be forced to serve a skinhead?  (Read 9148 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:15:45 PM

If a jewish merchand has the right to refuse serving a customer for whatever reason, what's stopping a non-jewish merchand to serve jewish people?

I believe any merchand should have the right to refuse to serve any client.  And if this allows racist behaviors and ostracism, so be it.

The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 11:14:17 PM

There is a real disconnect in this thread...
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 11:52:06 PM

There is a real disconnect in this thread...

Disconnect with what? Libertarians just want the least invasive and violent form of government possible. What's wrong with that? The fact that people just want to serve certain people under specific constraints may, in some cases, appear arbitrary.

But what's considered arbitrary if property ownership is already absolute? In fact, property ceases to be property when it's not exclusive anymore. Or more precisely, it merely comes into possession and control of the strongest most violent individual willing to take it from you for whatever reason they deem necessary.

Welcome to the animal kingdom and Darwinism. Let the strongest survive. Such a beautiful world we live in...

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
mai77

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:11:50 PM

If a jewish merchand has the right to refuse serving a customer for whatever reason, what's stopping a non-jewish merchand to serve jewish people?

I believe any merchand should have the right to refuse to serve any client.  And if this allows racist behaviors and ostracism, so be it.

Well then sure the Germans were right when they stopped serving jews and buying from jews in the 1930s. But why then all the fuss  Huh
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 06:35:09 PM

I believe any merchand should have the right to refuse to serve any client.  And if this allows racist behaviors and ostracism, so be it.

Well then sure the Germans were right when they stopped serving jews and buying from jews in the 1930s. But why then all the fuss  Huh
They started shipping them off to camps and killing them. That's kind of a no-no.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
mai77

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:56:28 PM

but the Israelis do it these days, no?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 06:59:49 PM

For that matter, so does the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_prison

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:04:19 PM

Fuck yeah!!! More nazi discussions.

dudes you are a bunch of lame necrobumpers!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:11:27 PM

Fuck yeah!!! More nazi discussions.
dudes you are a bunch of lame necrobumpers!

Its perfectly ok to continue an old discussion that is also an ongoing issue.

It's important to note that one's race or sexual orientation are things that they have no control over, whereas one's membership in a violent racist group is the product of a conscious decision.

Some people choose a bi-sexual lifestyle. No one chooses to be bi-racial.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 07:14:30 PM

It's important to note that one's race or sexual orientation are things that they have no control over, whereas one's membership in a violent racist group is the product of a conscious decision.

Some people choose a bi-sexual lifestyle. No one chooses to be bi-racial.
Yeah, you don't choose to be bi, either.

mai77

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:20:04 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 05:00:42 PM by mai77

Should a Jewish owner of an eatery in NYC be forced by governments to serve a hungry neo-nazi skinhead, if he has the money?

or vice versa, in fact  Wink

depends on whether he is an anti-semitism whiner  Tongue

or one of those: http://www.picturehost.eu/uploads/a03cd6150981e8658bab53f971218e8b_swast2.jpg
mai77

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:44:10 PM

which of the two cases ("vice versa") would be more likely to happen  Huh
ArmoredDragon

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:50:50 PM

Personally I believe fully in freedom of association. If you don't want to hire or serve a person for any reason at all, that is your right. Personally I'd like to have the business of even the weirdos, so I see no reason to discriminate.
mai77

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:52:06 PM

so why do the jews complain then about Germany?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 08:37:59 PM

so why do the jews complain then about Germany?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

mai77

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:40:46 PM

Personally I believe fully in freedom of association.

so did Adolf Hitler presumably.
ArmoredDragon

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:40:32 AM

Personally I believe fully in freedom of association.

so did Adolf Hitler presumably.

Not sure what you're getting at with that statement, but if it is what I think it is (e.g. against unrestricted freedom of association,) then that argument doesn't really work.

Hitler believed in a lot of things that many believe in today. For example, he strongly believed that nobody but the government should have access to firearms. That describes basically all of modern Europe as well as most of the Democratic party.

Just because somebody happens to agree with hitler on one particular subject doesn't make them the same as hitler, nor does that mean they agree with fascism.

If that isn't the argument you are trying to make, then I apologize, just your comment is a bit vague.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:52:58 AM

I still can't decide. My knee-jerk reaction was "sure, I can refuse service to anyone I wish in my restaurant!" - but then, this restaurant operates within a public realm, and "public" has decided that it's not that simple. My premises are within their premises, so to say, so their rules apply. If I don't like it, I can pack my restaurant and move to the promised land. Or I can urge the public to change the rules, which may in fact be the best solution in this case (is this what RP argued?).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 02:22:21 AM

I still can't decide. My knee-jerk reaction was "sure, I can refuse service to anyone I wish in my restaurant!" - but then, this restaurant operates within a public realm, and "public" has decided that it's not that simple. My premises are within their premises, so to say, so their rules apply. If I don't like it, I can pack my restaurant and move to the promised land. Or I can urge the public to change the rules, which may in fact be the best solution in this case (is this what RP argued?).
Or, here's an idea: If "the public" disagrees with how you use your property, they don't have to eat there. If enough of "the public" disagree with your practices, and too few of them agree, you'll have to change those practices, or go out of business.

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:37:07 AM

Why in the world would a skinhead eat in a Jewish restaurant?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: