Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:29:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667416 times)
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:09:26 PM

Anyway, I never realized there was something about the cryptonote (CN?) outfit itself that is fishy. they seemed pretty corporate to me, but never did quite understand their biz model. Is there some URL with specific info on what sorts of things they have done?

If you are not aware of the full story, you'll have some fun! It would work perfect as a movie:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=740112

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:10:55 PM

Well, Peter Todd was right.  It's politically incorrect, but he's not known for tact and charm.  He's known for creative technical solutions.

And frankly, if IBM were doing its accounting with crayons and monkeys, and you didn't inform the stakeholders, you'd be very irresponsible.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
DogTheHunter

Activity: 784
Merit: 272

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:11:09 PM

If you want to be taken seriously (I have no idea) then you need to educate yourself at least a little about the history and status of this project.

1. We have always described it as alpha-quality software. Perhaps some day we will promote that to beta-quality.

2. We took over the project, which was a fork of a promising coin with a fraudulent hidden premine. It turns out that they guy who did the fork was probably in collusion with the original group of scammers. The project only became anything other than a scam when a bunch of interested people from the community decided that despite the mess there was enough promise here to take it and run with it. If any of this makes you uncomfortable, this is most certainly not the coin for you.

3. I don't give a fuck about pandering to investors. They are free to speculate or short terms swings or to invest in the long term possibility that we are able to develop this project to something much greater than it is today. You are also perfectly free to do neither.

Have a nice day.

1) Can you already rule out that the same (or similar) attack can be mounted again?

2) Can you already rule out conclusively that no lasting damage was done (as in: according to the pre-attack ownership situation)? Any chance that some subtle damage was done that'll be discovered only later?

I'll answer both at the same time. This particular attack can't be mounted again. We haven't pushed out the official fix yet, but exploit it requires growing the blocks sizes, which takes time. We'd never let that happen. The full fix will be out soon. This hole is plugged.

Any software can have vulnerabilities and exploits. This is exacerbated by the fact that we got the code from a bunch of lying scammers who despite that character flaw, happen to have some talent when it comes to cryptography and to a lesser extent coding. We are reviewing the code and paying qualified people to review the code in order to identify and correct problems to the greatest extent possible. Further we will be restructuring, refactoring, and/or replacing some of the code in order to further increase its robustness and trustworthiness (removing obfuscation for example).

I think you need to take a break. You are unintentionally saying stupid things.

This particular attack can't be mounted again.

Implies - so other attacks are still possible?

Any software can have vulnerabilities and exploits.

Implies - don't trust Monero with your anonymity just yet.

we got the code from a bunch of lying scammers who despite that character flaw, happen to have some talent when it comes to cryptography and to a lesser extent coding.

Where do you start with this statement.

Implies

- We didn't have the technical skill in the first place, so we are just using anything we could find
- Quality assurance in the code was never a priority

We are reviewing the code and paying qualified people to review the code in order to identify and correct problems

Implies - We haven't got a clue. So we are paying for temporary help.

Get some sleep. For investors, this sort of loose talk, from someone that is an established part of the team, gives zero confidence in the project.

I was trying to be helpful. Clearly, I wasn't.

Clearly my views and investment are not welcome.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:11:19 PM

I would have thought that Peter Todd (previously a core bitcoin dev) would have enough on his plate as he recently (few weeks ago) joined the Viacoin dev team.

We had already talked to Peter about consulting for us before that. He does various consulting work, especially open source projects. He explained on reddit (go find it if you care) that one of his consulting clients happens to be Viacoin, and he didn't even know much about what they are doing. In typical pump-and-dump fashion, Viacoin quickly turned that consulting gig into him being their "chief scientist" and promptly put out a slicked up press release about it.

In short you are reading too much into it, and for what its worth we won't be wasting any of our donation money writing press releases and trying to promote a consulting gig as something more than what it is.

Deagle21

Activity: 333
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:14:15 PM

Is it safe to mine or should we wait for a fix to come out first?
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

I would have thought that Peter Todd (previously a core bitcoin dev) would have enough on his plate as he recently (few weeks ago) joined the Viacoin dev team.

We had already talked to Peter about consulting for us before that. He does various consulting work, especially open source projects. He explained on reddit (go find it if you care) that one of his consulting clients happens to be Viacoin, and he didn't even know much about what they are doing. In typical pump-and-dump fashion, Viacoin quickly turned that consulting gig into him being their "chief scientist" and promptly put out a slicked up press release about it.

In short you are reading too much into it, and for what its worth we won't be wasting any of our donation money writing press releases and trying to promote a consulting gig as something more than what it is.

Alright, makes sense. That's not really the question that's on my mind though.

The abrasive style aside (I can even see some virtue in that), this...

... kind of begs for a comment from the dev team.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:18:18 PM

boiled down it is simple, if you (we) don't believe that a majority is able to make meaningful decisions, based on common sense we are doomed anyway, no matter what tech we are inventing/using.
stating that a blockchain should be always immutable is an indicator for the need to pass/deny decisions/responsibilty to another kind of centralized leadership, in this case, the swap to the blockchain.

i will stop here, because i don't want to derail this thread but i am very interested how this social experiment will evolve over time and if people understand they can't have both.

I agree with you. I believe you also agree that "centralized leadership" means fundamentally different things when applied to a blockchain or a central bank? One should also not forget that participation is voluntary.

As an aside you might or might not be interested in, majority as a function on boolean vectors returning a boolean also has a number of algebraic properties that make it interesting. In short, imagine you had a number of agents, voting yes/no for some arbitrary binary question. You need to construct a family of functions (from {0,1}^n for all n, to {0,1}) to aggregate votes into a group decision. You can practically invent any function you want. For example, a full dictatorship would be a family of projections f(x1, x2, ...) = x1 which always choose whatever x1 chose. Majority is another such family of functions. It has the advantages that is symmetrical in agents (each agent contributes in the exact same way a priori of other votes), symmetrical in range(*) (labeling all yes to no and vice versa does not change the function in any way), monotonic (changing any votes from yes to no cannot change a no outcome to a yes outcome), and some other more abstract properties. It is also interesting that from a computational complexity point of view, it is a counter-intuitively complex function to compute. One of the most celebrated results is that it is not in class AC0 (more or less the simplest computation class that people are interested in - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC0).

(*) this is not always desirable, and you can use super-majority in that case
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:18:54 PM

Thank you for trying.  It would be nice if you could decide how to improve your helping skills, and then try again.

Those who respond to your post are trying to correct defects in your views.  If they are not corrected, you are likely to injure yourself and others.  Please don't interpret that as meaning you should go away.  Try to incorporate the valid parts of the criticism into your thinking, and reject the invalid parts.  Some things taste bad because they are poison.  Some things taste bad because they are medicine.  This is not a candy store.  You are welcome, but if you wish to divest, we are also happy to accept your monero into a more nurturing home.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:21:10 PM

Is it safe to mine or should we wait for a fix to come out first?

It is perfectly safe to mine, as long as you pick a pool that is running on the right chain. I know that Dwarfpool is on the right chain, but about now, probably all pools are... To be on the safe size, you should check on IRC if your usual pool is on the right chain or not (or post the pool name here if you're not into the IRC thing).

Cheers,
~ Myagui

Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:21:31 PM

Thanks for setting it straight.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:22:53 PM

Alright, makes sense. That's not really the question that's on my mind though.

The abrasive style aside (I can even see some virtue in that), this...

TBH the alternative code base (although it's likely weaker in quality) is a large factor in my investment. Redundancy is very very nice Smiley
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:25:20 PM

The thread is 670 pages long, and most of it is repeating the same unfounded criticisms over and over again by accounts that have been created during the short history of Monero, and whose posting history includes nothing constructive.

Since your post fell into this category, the answers by one of the core developers, in the day of intense fighting against an attack made possible by (B)CN scamdevs, may sound terse.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:25:35 PM

At a high level there is a lot of merit in it. At the level of actual development, doing that would be a tremendous effort. We're not pursing that course at the present time, but we are always open to input (abrasive or otherwise) and we are also definitely open to dropping some of the parts that don't work well and redesigning them or replacing them with something better. In fact we have done some of that already.

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:25:38 PM

I agree that the C in the codebase in insane and dangerous. In the least, we need to refactor to C++ and comment the code.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:27:49 PM

Everybody knows that Dingleberry (BBR) is crap.

Stop it.

Yes, please.

Trolls are gonna troll.  But if you are just a supporter who favors one coin.  STAY OUT of their game.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:27:57 PM

We've discussed this through and through, and the general consensus is that the effort it would take to port everything over is huge, and then we'd be stuck inheriting a lot of other stuff that would make what we want to do in future more difficult.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:28:16 PM

I agree that the C in the codebase in insane and dangerous. In the least, we need to refactor to C++ and comment the code.

Whatever works.

But:

"glad to hear the devs had the same idea" sounds more like you were? are? considering changing the codebase entirely.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:30:17 PM

words

other trolls could learn a thing or two from you.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:30:30 PM

Whatever works.

But:

"glad to hear the devs had the same idea" sounds more like you were? are? considering changing the codebase entirely.

There is no plan to replace the codebase entirely. We are open to input and considering ideas. Two very different things.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:32:12 PM

Whatever works.

But:

There is no plan to replace the codebase entirely. We are open to input and considering ideas. Two very different things.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I have nothing to add.

Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: