Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:10:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 [609] 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667449 times)
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:31:55 AM

The risk of not holding monero is infinitely bigger than that of holding it.

With not holding, you can lose a sum equal to 1000x your net worth.

With holding, you can maximum lose the amount invested.

Sounds like Pascal's wager. That can never be the reason to do it.

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

Yes, but the same is true for any other altcoin (even the most junky ones),

take the following assumption:
1.) you cannot invest
2.) you can buy a basket which is filled in an equal distribution with the top200 decentralized currencies

what would you do?

the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

even following the wikipedia article - pascals wager is not a proof of god - I always understood it that way: even if there is a tiny possibility for an infinite outcome, it is rational to take the bet . I see nothing wrong with that.

If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?

To come back to xmr and I usually do not take much out of ristos predictions: but what he is essentially saying is that he has observed 1000 ravens which were all black, and xmr is the 1001 he is seeing; his estimation of the likelyhood that this raven is being black is quite high.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:37:02 AM

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

1.) you cannot invest
2.) you can buy a basket which is filled in an equal distribution with the top200 decentralized currencies

what would you do?

the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

even following the wikipedia article - pascals wager is not a proof of god - I always understood it that way: even if there is a tiny possibility for an infinite outcome, it is rational to take the bet . I see nothing wrong with that.

If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?

To come back to xmr and I usually do not take much out of ristos predictions: but what he is essentially saying is that he has observed 1000 ravens which were all black, and xmr is the 1001 he is seeing; his estimation of the likelyhood that this raven is being black is quite high.

"If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?"

Let's say there were originally 10 black ravens, and you concluded that every new raven would Not be black, you would be wrong upto the point of there being 1,000 ravens(990 after the original 10 or 990 times you were wrong). To continue concluding that the next raven would Not be black would mean that you're insane in Einstein's definition of the word.

It's overwhelmingly logical and rational to estimate that the 1001th raven would be black, given that the previous 1000 were.

However, there is still a chance that the 1001 raven would Not be black, though the odds are 1000 to 1.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:45:06 AM

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:48:49 AM

LMFAO... brilliant even tho i'm too in me sauce now to keep up with these maths peoples!! Cheesy 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Toninho

Activity: 597

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 12:49:18 AM

eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:00:10 AM

Since some of the Bytecoin/CryptoNote devs seem to have been scammers, how can we trust that the elliptic curve constants in Monero were not chosen maliciously? If they were chosen maliciously, could that be determined somehow? Should a new curve be chosen, just in case?

I'm not a cryptographer, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

It's not a new curve. The curve is Ed25519, invented by Dan Bernstein, who's also the inventor of the popular Curve25519 (which is the ECDSA version). The rationale for it is given in page 7-8 here: http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/ed25519-20110926.pdf
nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:07:33 AM

Let's say there were originally 10 black ravens, and you concluded that every new raven would Not be black, you would be wrong upto the point of there being 1,000 ravens(990 after the original 10 or 990 times you were wrong). To continue concluding that the next raven would Not be black would mean that you're insane in Einstein's definition of the word.

It's overwhelmingly logical and rational to estimate that the 1001th raven would be black, given that the previous 1000 were.

However, there is still a chance that the 1001 raven would Not be black, though the odds are 1000 to 1.

the idea is that you cannot conclude (in terms of theoretical logic) from observations - let us not get it too far. but it is important to see the difference to a set of assumptions that says george is a raven; all ravens are black, george is black.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:08:26 AM

Since some of the Bytecoin/CryptoNote devs seem to have been scammers, how can we trust that the elliptic curve constants in Monero were not chosen maliciously? If they were chosen maliciously, could that be determined somehow? Should a new curve be chosen, just in case?

It's not a new curve. The curve is Ed25519, invented by Dan Bernstein, who's also the inventor of the popular Curve25519 (which is the ECDSA version). The rationale for it is given in page 7-8 here: http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/ed25519-20110926.pdf

Shit for real? I ran Dan's Qmail Email software for like 10 years back in the day, plus a bunch of his other stuff like dns etc... that's awesome if true, he is very trustworthy and very much old school. Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Thanks again, this coin amazes me more every day. Smiley

LOL i just realized. I should have just asked "Is it true?" ... Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:09:27 AM

I'll see your black raven and raise you 2.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:23:04 AM

the idea is that you cannot conclude (in terms of theoretical logic) from observations - let us not get it too far. but it is important to see the difference to a set of assumptions that says george is a raven; all ravens are black, george is black.

Nonprobabilistic models are not particularly useful in the physical world.

1001:1 always use Laplace smoothing.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:49:48 AM

Shit for real? I ran Dan's Qmail Email software for like 10 years back in the day, plus a bunch of his other stuff like dns etc... that's awesome if true, he is very trustworthy and very much old school. Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Thanks again, this coin amazes me more every day. Smiley

LOL i just realized. I should have just asked "Is it true?" ... Cheesy

Yes, I'm part of the XMR team. The parameters are in the whitepaper (4.2.1) but you can check for yourself that crypto-ops.h and crypto-ops.c in Monero are actually consolidated from Bernstein's library NaCl: https://github.com/jedisct1/libsodium/tree/master/src/libsodium/crypto_sign/ed25519/ref10
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:43:13 AM

Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Official team (which of course includes eizh) is listed on the first post of this thread:

Who are you?
See Monero Missives #1: "(in no particular order) - tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle

varun555

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 09:15:28 AM

1.) you cannot invest

what would you do?

[/quote]In regards to Risto's predictions:
Could'nt it also mean that Risto has observed 1000 ravens which were all black and xmr is the 2nd raven (after btc) he is seeing that is not black (he's said that he has invested in these 2 only)?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 09:31:14 AM

All altcoins are black. Then I see an altcoin that is not black. Do I trust the accumulated wisdom, or my own eyes?

Trusting accumulated wisdom is the reason many people still work, even though they could have bought bitcoins in 2010.

Many bitcoiners don't even need to look to conclude that all altcoins are black.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 09:36:56 AM

All altcoins are black. Then I see an altcoin that is not black. Do I trust the accumulated wisdom, or my own eyes?

Trusting accumulated wisdom is the reason many people still work, even though they could have bought bitcoins in 2010.

Many bitcoiners don't even need to look to conclude that all altcoins are black.

Set that is a good reason to buy this altcoin Smiley (given that you abstracted away the actual reasons why XMR is not "black" here but alas)
krawallmining

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:32:42 AM

Christmas again at Polo?
Blockchain size doesn't seem to deter. Smiley
akula999

Activity: 509

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:42:23 AM

I'm really excited XMR's progress!

Bitcoin: 1FzZehkiwfeeUmfmBrym8VvXX7gUj3miHe
XMR: 4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf
divan0w

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

Me too, I was losing money for last few coins I invest in, but in this one for now things are cool. The big question as always is - for how long...
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:53:03 AM

Me too, I was losing money for last few coins I invest in, but in this one for now things are cool. The big question as always is - for how long...

unless you will sell at price under your buy price or you lose wallet is impossible to lose any money.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:57:27 AM

unless you will sell at price under your buy price or you lose wallet is impossible to lose any money.

That's the kind of delusion thinking traders love to take advantage of!

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
Pages: « 1 ... 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 [609] 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: