Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:39:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667228 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 10:15:34 PM

So really not to worrisome. Quantum is the real danger.

Quantum is no danger.

Is the encryption used by VeraCrypt vulnerable to Quantum attacks?

VeraCrypt uses block ciphers (AES, Serpent, Twofish) for its encryption. Quantum attacks against these block ciphers are just a faster brute-force since the best know attack against these algorithms is exhaustive search (related keys attacks are irrelevant to our case because all keys are random and independent from each other).
Since VeraCrypt always uses 256-bit random and independent keys, we are assured of a 128-bit security
level against quantum algorithms which makes VeraCrypt encryption immune to such attacks.

I think the algorithms used in Monero are even stronger than in VeraCrypt.

Quantum attacks are potentially a danger to Monero. The distinction is that symmetric encryption like AES, etc. are much less vulnerable than signatures. All widely-used signature algorithms including those in Monero and Bitcoin are potentially vulnerable. It will be something that cryptocurrency will need to deal with in time but no one is panicking quite yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 10:18:58 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2015, 09:59:33 PM by kazuki49

Quantum attacks are potentially a danger to Monero. The distinction is that symmetric encryption like AES, etc. are much less vulnerable than signatures. All widely-used signature algorithms including those in Monero and Bitcoin are potentially vulnerable. It will be something that cryptocurrency will need to deal with in time but no one is panicking quite yet.

then its a good thing Monero has a hardfork schedule in place, I assume it could be invoked in emergencies such as an indentified quantum attack is in place and a known remedy can be implemented.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4894

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 10:23:44 PM

Quantum is no danger.

VeraCrypt uses block ciphers (AES, Serpent, Twofish) for its encryption. Quantum attacks against these block ciphers are just a faster brute-force since the best know attack against these algorithms is exhaustive search (related keys attacks are irrelevant to our case because all keys are random and independent from each other).
Since VeraCrypt always uses 256-bit random and independent keys, we are assured of a 128-bit security
level against quantum algorithms which makes VeraCrypt encryption immune to such attacks.

then its a good thing Monero has a hardfork schedule in place, I assume it could be invoked in emergencies such as an indentified quantum attack is in place and a known remedy can be implemented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 01:22:22 AM

Quantum is no danger.

it is good to be prepared but I think it will be a while before we have to worry about that
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 05:26:59 AM

Quantum is no danger.

it is good to be prepared but I think it will be a while before we have to worry about that

I'd say at least another decade. But then again maybe several.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Some questions, with upfront apologies for not searching the thread for answers:

Re the current blocksize debate now creating a duststorm in the bitcoin world - is there a similar blocksize controversy in monero's future? 

Oversimplifying one aspect of the debate - centralization - if the next 3 to 5 years see a destruction of the decentralization of bitcoin, is monero in a position to observe, learn, and survive, or will monero be swept away by the same forces of centralization (in the event monero becomes the "alpha coin" after the demise of bitcoin)?

tl;dr    If centralization destroys bitcoin, will centralization inevitably destroy all cryptocurrency?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 09:14:48 AM

Some questions, with upfront apologies for not searching the thread for answers:

Re the current blocksize debate now creating a duststorm in the bitcoin world - is there a similar blocksize controversy in monero's future? 

Oversimplifying one aspect of the debate - centralization - if the next 3 to 5 years see a destruction of the decentralization of bitcoin, is monero in a position to observe, learn, and survive, or will monero be swept away by the same forces of centralization (in the event monero becomes the "alpha coin" after the demise of bitcoin)?

tl;dr    If centralization destroys bitcoin, will centralization inevitably destroy all cryptocurrency?

Monero has an adaptive blocksize, so no blocksize debate. The plan is to use "smart mining" and ASIC resistant POW and pruning to minimize centralization.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 09:25:36 AM

If centralization destroys bitcoin, will centralization inevitably destroy all cryptocurrency?

Cryptocurrency is not necessarily an end state, it can also be a process: I have enjoyed a great increase of freedom in my life through cryptocurrency, and I don't place a great emphasis on which particular crypto has done it in which year. In my own thinking, the "spirit of silver" moved to Bitcoin, and later to Monero, and may move on. Each move any more, is not a disruptive but incremental change - I still own more value in physical silver than Monero, for instance. All the previous stages of innovation serve as backups should the latest one end up "being forked".

The cutting edge cryptography will be tried in the high end projects first, and the trend towards fragmentation of the virtual assets sphere is also there. 2 years' slaughter has not killed any even remotely legit alts, for instance. This is an indication that in the future, you can own a myriad of virtual assets secured or unsecured by cryptography; accessed publicly, pseudo- or anonymously; and allocate your portfolio between them without friction.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
TRilon

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 09:29:51 AM

When waiting for the next big release?                                                               .
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 10:13:41 AM

When waiting for the next big release?                                                               .

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pgvbd/secret_agendas/cw68luv?context=3

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 01:28:12 PM

tl;dr    If centralization destroys bitcoin, will centralization inevitably destroy all cryptocurrency?

also, moneromoo has come up with a pool resistance approach that passed the smooth filter, something none of my ideas have ever done. no idea how it will do in the wild.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 02:08:26 PM

tl;dr    If centralization destroys bitcoin, will centralization inevitably destroy all cryptocurrency?

also, moneromoo has come up with a pool resistance approach that passed the smooth filter, something none of my ideas have ever done. no idea how it will do in the wild.

It's more of a rough concept, no specific design, no code, etc. We'll see how it looks once some details are worked out, but there is potential it could work.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 02:30:37 PM

Trip report on running the windows 0.9 beta for the past week or two.  Other than the known issue of needing to type exit 2 separate times in order to exit it has been running smoothly.  It has been using <40MB memory Smiley

myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 02:41:34 PM

Trip report on running the windows 0.9 beta for the past week or two.  Other than the known issue of needing to type exit 2 separate times in order to exit it has been running smoothly.  It has been using <40MB memory Smiley

I've been on the latest Windows beta for ages now, have done quite a few transactions, no issues at all here.
On exit, the daemon looks to have a wait right after stopping some network function. I don't ever need to type exit 2 times. I just type exit once, then after a few seconds, I just hit enter again.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 02:45:36 PM

I've been on the latest Windows beta for ages now, have done quite a few transactions, no issues at all here.
On exit, the daemon looks to have a wait right after stopping some network function. I don't ever need to type exit 2 times. I just type exit once, then after a few seconds, I just hit enter again.

Yes that worked, Thanks Smiley
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 05:39:48 PM

My first report on 0.9 beta release

+ Windows 7
+ Sync from start to block 797721: take more than a day
+ Database size after sync-ed: data.mdb 9,437,187 KB (9.4 GB) (block 797721)
+ Memory:

Private Working Set): 21,277 KB (21 MB)
   Commit Size: 109,880 KB (109 MB)
   Working Set: 38,040 KB (38 MB)

+ Startup time: About 2 seconds
+ Exit time: About 3-5 seconds

Huge improvements over 0.8.8 release!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 05:58:53 PM

My first report on 0.9 beta release

+ Windows 7
+ Sync from start to block 797721: take more than a day
+ Database size after sync-ed: data.mdb 9,437,187 KB (9.4 GB) (block 797721)
+ Memory:

Private Working Set): 21,277 KB (21 MB)
   Commit Size: 109,880 KB (109 MB)
   Working Set: 38,040 KB (38 MB)

+ Startup time: About 2 seconds
+ Exit time: About 3-5 seconds

Huge improvements over 0.8.8 release!

Nice report! The bolded is probably due to a slow connection or a HDD. It takes around 45-60 min to fully sync from scratch on an SSD and it took me around 4 hours on a HDD.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 06:01:55 PM

Did you set the bandwith limit? I think the default is 1 mbps still.

MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 06:36:08 PM

Yes that worked, Thanks Smiley

Is anyone able to reproduce this problem reliably, and able to build an arbitrary branch of monero, and willing to test and report any patch I make to try and fix this problem ?
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 07:43:43 PM

Anyone running any of the GUIs with the latest non official DB version of Monero?

Pages: « 1 ... 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: