Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:19:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667229 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:42:57 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2015, 09:57:56 PM by Anon136

How does a technology like MaidSAFE play into some of these decentralized mesh-networking ideas? It sounds like they a pretty killer technology? Full disclosure I own a few MaidSafe coins (tho not anywhere near as much as I have invested in BTC or XMR)

Last time I checked, one big problem with maidsafe is that it treats data transmission and storage as a homogeneous service when this is simply not the case. Transmitting across the north korean boarder for example is a very very different service than transmitting from one apartment to the next in new york city. Additionally storing data in Timbuktu is not as useful to most people as storing it in los angales. So an efficient market would have different prices that accounted for all of the nuances of these different scenarios. Maidsafe treats these all the same. Its decentralized in some ways but weirdly centralized in others, in terms of a single centrally developed algorythm that routes traffic and assigns storage locations. Very different from a network of freely associated node entrepreneurs responding to price signals sent by the demands of consumers.

But take all that with a grain of salt. I am NOT a maidsafe expert. I would love to hear that they have solved all this since the last time i dug in which was pretty early in the project.

*edit* though maidsafe seems like it might be a great thing to layer ontop of a meshnet inorder to get many of the benefits they claim i.e. privacy and data redundancy and decentralized storage fault tolerance.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:51:06 PM

Monero gets a shout out from the bitcoin core maintainer, Wladimir:

http://bitcoin-development.narkive.com/mH0GrHuE/libconsensus-and-bitcoin-development-process#post7

Always a pleasant surprise to get appreciation from other parts of the community.  Grin

That's cool.  But this is epic (ie, set my fanboy heart aflutter  Cheesy).

Nick von Szaborhagen will not rest until humanity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth (statism/biology/gravity) and lives among the stars!

He also follows the official Monero twitter account since a month or so :-)

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 10:03:09 PM

Nick von Szaborhagen will not rest until humanity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth (statism/biology/gravity) and lives among the stars!

He also follows the official Monero twitter account since a month or so :-)

Shocked

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 10:33:03 PM

LOL, the spam...but it really has Phreak in it. Nice.
bitrev

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:25:28 PM

LOL, it is not about innovation, nor features. In the long term you need the masses. Monero had a great team and well that's it. Newcomers can do much better.

So much time passed but no broad acceptance... just think..

Current price is a great price to sell, which I did.

No hate intented, just being honest.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:50:46 PM

LOL, it is not about innovation, nor features. In the long term you need the masses. Monero had a great team and well that's it. Newcomers can do much better.

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui. Obviously they dont want this. Until they do its fair to think of this project as being in beta. Its a little unfair to call it on not achieving mass acceptance before anyone has even tried to push for that. Some other amazing crypto currency that hasn't been invented yet but will be in the future also hasnt achieved mass acceptance yet, should we call it dead too?

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2015, 12:07:55 AM

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui. Obviously they dont want this. Until they do its fair to think of this project as being in beta. Its a little unfair to call it on not achieving mass acceptance before anyone has even tried to push for that. Some other amazing crypto currency that hasn't been invented yet but will be in the future also hasnt achieved mass acceptance yet, should we call it dead too?

seriously. Monero's been around for ~1.5 years. Too much caffeine in these parts.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
bitrev

Activity: 335

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 12:12:52 AM

True, however... not true. What's the intention of any Dev, in any field..
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2015, 12:17:26 AM

To develop things that will stand the tests of time. ( period )

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 12:29:04 AM

Not even btc has mass acceptance.  As far as Monero, both the devs and the community have kept me here for well over a year.  I like the intention of both of them as well as their actions.

And ofc what GingerAle said.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4896

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 05:35:41 AM

http://arstechnica.co.uk/the-multiverse/2015/09/artist-turns-bitcoin-into-music-with-giant-arduino-powered-string-instrument/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 05:54:38 AM

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui.

No way in hell would an official GUI result in mass acceptance (now). There are 1000+ coins 99+% of which have an official GUI and zero of them have mass acceptance.

We have to be realistic, do the best we can on the resource budget we have and hope the wider world someday sees a need for what we are doing.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 06:23:45 AM

I don't think this is strictly correct.  The development of a GUI is on the road map, but it is much more necessary to make sure the mathematical fundamentals of Monero are sound.  This is no easy task, and I would dare say that most cryptocurrency enthusiasts do not understand or are capable of understanding the mathematics involved in Monero (ring sigs, etc).  The Monero development team is fairly small and most have other pursuits in addition to developing Monero.  I would still classify it is a type of hobby (for traders, developers, enthusiasts)--until wider adoption happens in which developers who hold Monero can maybe live off their new found wealth and concentrate on Monero full time.  This type of critical mass hasn't been achieved yet.

With the USD, the fed just prints them and distributes them.  Its not really complicated.  Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are a different type of beast, and require some very knowledgeable people to maintain and innovate on novel cryptocurrency platforms such as Monero.

Newcomers could possibly help, but the learning curve is rather steep for people who truly want to innovate and make the underlying mathematics bulletproof.

As far as mass acceptances goes:  This probably won't happen for a long time.  It hasn't even happened for Bitcoin really.  Cryptocurrency needs an "iPhone/iPod" type of success to really reach mass appeal--furthermore, large amounts of people have to want it in the first place...which I don't think is a stage we are at either.  A possible catalyst for wider acceptance would be a major world wide depression in which fiat fails dramatically...instead of the slow and inexorable failure we have seen in the past.  Its possible governments may not let this happen (by forcing the working masses to bail out banks, fear mongering through regulation, etc) and will thus force cryptocurrencies underground, and there they may stay.

On the other hand, maybe its enough that a small amount of people can transact with digital cash?  Do we really need mass appeal?  Maybe its enough that we can choose to go our own way, and choose cryptocurrency as the means for payment and store of value even if we are a small cadre of people?
Nexious

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Nexious.com Admin

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2015, 06:52:15 AM

Nexious is pleased to announce the launch of our anonymous mining pool! We are currently 0% Fees and hourly payouts.

Come and check us out at https://xmr.nexious.com

https://nexious.com - Bitcoin Mining Pool - 5BTC Block Finder Bonus!*
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 09:29:13 PM

A lot of action over at MoneroDice tonight. User othe ended up with +15480 XMR profit today! At one point he was down -4k and the high was almost 20k.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 10:32:46 PM

I don't think this is strictly correct.  The development of a GUI is on the road map, but it is much more necessary to make sure the mathematical fundamentals of Monero are sound.  This is no easy task, and I would dare say that most cryptocurrency enthusiasts do not understand or are capable of understanding the mathematics involved in Monero (ring sigs, etc).  The Monero development team is fairly small and most have other pursuits in addition to developing Monero.  I would still classify it is a type of hobby (for traders, developers, enthusiasts)--until wider adoption happens in which developers who hold Monero can maybe live off their new found wealth and concentrate on Monero full time.  This type of critical mass hasn't been achieved yet.

With the USD, the fed just prints them and distributes them.  Its not really complicated.  Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are a different type of beast, and require some very knowledgeable people to maintain and innovate on novel cryptocurrency platforms such as Monero.

Newcomers could possibly help, but the learning curve is rather steep for people who truly want to innovate and make the underlying mathematics bulletproof.

As far as mass acceptances goes:  This probably won't happen for a long time.  It hasn't even happened for Bitcoin really.  Cryptocurrency needs an "iPhone/iPod" type of success to really reach mass appeal--furthermore, large amounts of people have to want it in the first place...which I don't think is a stage we are at either.  A possible catalyst for wider acceptance would be a major world wide depression in which fiat fails dramatically...instead of the slow and inexorable failure we have seen in the past.  Its possible governments may not let this happen (by forcing the working masses to bail out banks, fear mongering through regulation, etc) and will thus force cryptocurrencies underground, and there they may stay.

On the other hand, maybe its enough that a small amount of people can transact with digital cash?  Do we really need mass appeal?  Maybe its enough that we can choose to go our own way, and choose cryptocurrency as the means for payment and store of value even if we are a small cadre of people?

People > Governments.

Just right now many of the people are distracted with football and other crap our society considers "important".

Once people wake up when they can't buy food and pay their bills on a mass scale due to government abuse of the monetary system, watch the people lash back.

It won't matter what governments want in the end people will rule.

The U.S. is in its end stages just like Rome was before its empire collapsed.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 02:05:04 AM

A lot of action over at MoneroDice tonight. User othe ended up with +15480 XMR profit today! At one point he was down -4k and the high was almost 20k.

Those are some big numbers
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 02:49:39 AM

Those are some big numbers

yes and it's killing us who have invested in the bankroll!  Tongue

Edit. Then again, that's dice! Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 03:08:56 AM

Just right now many of the people are distracted with football and other crap our society considers "important".

If you gamble, you hardly need society to tell you that football's important  Tongue

But yeah, most people don't care until the problem is right in front of them--so count yourself lucky that you got the foresight gene.  Wink

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 03:19:56 AM

If you gamble, you hardly need society to tell you that football's important  Tongue

But yeah, most people don't care until the problem is right in front of them--so count yourself lucky that you got the foresight gene.  Wink

I don't think its a foresight gene. Normal people have a bias towards believing things that are convenient and disbelieving things that are inconvenient. People like us have some sort of resistance towards that particular bias. If anything, that is what our gene is I think. I my self have never been more or less inclined to believe something just because it was convenient or inconvenient. I credit that more than anything with getting to where I am today.

Pages: « 1 ... 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: