Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:01:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667459 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 04:51:48 PM

Hi, it's me again.

I tried to download and install the wallet. That went well.
Then I started syncing, but after a while I needed to close it, because my laptop become very slow  Undecided

Any ideas how to solve this? I'm sorry, I didn't read in this topic yet. Maybe there is a solution already.
If there isn't, i'm sorry, but then I won't be able to test out XMR and just stick with DASH.
I don't want to buy a faster laptop just to test a cryptocurrency.

Meanwhile I managed to test DASH and was wondering how Monero compares to that. Wasn't able to test it due to the problems with my wallet, but maybe someone else knows the details:

FYI: I had 2 DASH in my wallet so I could test out the features.
* Mixing my full balance took 3 hours. How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)
* When I was mixing, the wallet showed that sometimes masternodes were idle (probably because they weren't upgraded). Is the mixing network of Monero faster?
* Doing a darksend transaction of +/- 1 DASH costed me 0.1 DASH. What is the fee for an XMR "darksend" ?

You've probably installed 0.8.8.6, which is very slow compared to the soon(tm) to be released new binaries (0.9). If you are on windows, there are already binaries available though -> https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

Regarding your points:
[1] Opposed to DASH, Monero uses on-chain mixing, so if you want to transfer funds the mixing kinda happens immediately and your transaction will be included into the next available block. Our blocktime is around 1 minute, so your transaction should be included pretty fast. Also, because mixing is passive, you don't need active others to mix with. More about how Monero's mixing works -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ojjkq/can_someone_help_me_understand_the_claims_of/cvxwq10

[2] See 1, it's significantly faster, because it allows passive mixing and thus doesn't need others to be active to mix.

[3] Monero uses a per-kb fee. Currently, the fee is 0.01 per kb. Usually the fee for a transaction is around 0.015-0.03 XMR.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 04:54:47 PM

Hi, it's me again.

Then I started syncing, but after a while I needed to close it, because my laptop become very slow  Undecided

Any ideas how to solve this? I'm sorry, I didn't read in this topic yet. Maybe there is a solution already.
If there isn't, i'm sorry, but then I won't be able to test out XMR and just stick with DASH.
I don't want to buy a faster laptop just to test a cryptocurrency.

The current version is a bit outdated. This version stores the entire blockchain in RAM/swap, that's why you felt your laptop (almost) grind to a halt.

You have three options:
- try the new beta for windows (i'm guessing you use windows) - URL Huh
- compile and run from the current master - https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/
- wait for the new release to finish your comparison (you might lose the valuation caused by that release, or not)

How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)
Very seldom it is more than a few secs. (It really depends on the inputs you have in your wallet).

* When I was mixing, the wallet showed that sometimes masternodes were idle (probably because they weren't upgraded). Is the mixing network of Monero faster?
There is no mixing network for monero, ie you are not dependent of external services to ensure privacy for your transactions. The wallet simple chooses the outputs to mix with from the blockchain you have on your computer and sends the transaction.

* Doing a darksend transaction of +/- 1 DASH costed me 0.1 DASH. What is the fee for an XMR "darksend" ?
First of all, the privacy features of monero are the default. You don't have to make a special kind of transaction to make it private. You just have to choose the level of obfuscation (the minimum is 0 for the time being but that is going to change). Regarding the fees it depends on the size of the transaction (more inputs, bigger size). Currently it is defined as 0.01 XMR per KB.
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 04:55:18 PM

Hi, it's me again.

Make sure you're not using the prebuilt binaries, they're very old.

* Mixing my full balance took 3 hours. How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)

From instant to a a minute if you're on a slow computer and sending a lot of small outputs.

There is no mixing network. Instead of sending your outouts to others who shuffle them in rounds, you mix them on your own computer, against the whole blockchain, and nobody can see what you've done (insert usual warnings about malware, etc).

0.01 monero per kB. This does not depend on value sent, though larger values may need more outouts if you only have small ones. A typical tx can be 1 to several kB. High mixin mean larger size, and thus larger fee.

papa_lazzarou

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 04:55:44 PM

^^^  Cheesy

Monero, ask 1 get 2 for free.

Hi!

My name is Konstantin. I'm cyber•Fund co-founder.
I'm happy to announce now Monero is available in cyber•Fund real time portfolio tracker. So you can easy control your portfolio valuation of Monero and other cryptoasset that you have in real time.

Cool, I'll check it out.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 04:55:58 PM

cryptonewb: If you used the latest source code (not the 0.8.8.6), your computer still may be slow, but only while it's downloading the blockchain due to lots of writing to the hard drive. But after you've downloaded the blockchain your computer will be fast again. Monero (after the one-time blockchain download catch-up) takes very little system resources. I have my main Monero wallet on a laptop with 2.5GB RAM and it works fast. Hope that helps!

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 05:42:24 PM

cryptonewb: If you used the latest source code (not the 0.8.8.6), your computer still may be slow, but only while it's downloading the blockchain due to lots of writing to the hard drive. But after you've downloaded the blockchain your computer will be fast again. Monero (after the one-time blockchain download catch-up) takes very little system resources. I have my main Monero wallet on a laptop with 2.5GB RAM and it works fast. Hope that helps!

Just curious, what laptop are you running your wallet and everything else on?
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 06:32:26 PM

Just curious, what laptop are you running your wallet and everything else on?
It's a used Dell Inspiron from Craigslist. I'm away from it right now so i don't know the model number, but as you can see from the RAM, it's a few years old. It had Windows Vista but I installed Ubuntu 14.04 over it.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
cryptonewb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 07:14:26 PM

^^^  Cheesy

Monero, ask 1 get 2 for free.

Thanks for all the help and information!
Will try to install the beta version tomorrow Smiley
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 11:46:43 PM

OK I'm trying the windows 0.9 beta again.  I once again created a new folder for it as the last one disappeared after I closed the daemon without exiting as it hung up when I tried to exit after the syncing hung up.  I am currently syncing the blockchain from scratch as I did the first time and this time it started from ~ block 376206 so maybe it was stored somewhere?

It seems obvious but I want to check to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Once the daemon syncs I can then open any simplewallet I have?  And transact with it?
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 12:39:33 AM

OK I'm trying the windows 0.9 beta again.  I once again created a new folder for it as the last one disappeared after I closed the daemon without exiting as it hung up when I tried to exit after the syncing hung up.  I am currently syncing the blockchain from scratch as I did the first time and this time it started from ~ block 376206 so maybe it was stored somewhere?

It seems obvious but I want to check to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Once the daemon syncs I can then open any simplewallet I have?  And transact with it?

Blockchain is stored in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. You definitely aren't syncing from scratch if it started from 376206. Smiley

Yes to your last two questions (unless there's some compatibility issue that I don't know about, but why not just use the matching 0.9 simplewallet?).
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:41:13 AM

Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)

It's definitely not quite as catchy, I'm just arguing that it's a special case where being upfront and transparent with people could be more important than being catchy.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 09:49:26 AM

Blockchain is stored in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. You definitely aren't syncing from scratch if it started from 376206. Smiley

Yes to your last two questions (unless there's some compatibility issue that I don't know about, but why not just use the matching 0.9 simplewallet?).

Thank you luigi,

I let it run while sleeping and now I'm on block 307986  Shocked and it's syncing almost as slowly as 0.8.8.6  Tongue
I'm no longer getting all the white words including "blob" speeding by but instead it's mostly the yellow lettering I'm used to when syncing with the white lettering being NOTIFY_REQUEST_GET_OBJECTS................
Hope you are enjoying the technical description Grin

As far as simplewallet I meant using simplewallet in 0.9 and using the name and password that was set up in 0.8.8.6
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:04:58 AM

Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)

It's definitely not quite as catchy, I'm just arguing that it's a special case where being upfront and transparent with people could be more important than being catchy.

I think a FAQ or something somewhere on the site that explains the risks of a web wallet is a pretty reasonable approach, with maybe a simple link on the home page. That is just my unsolicited input, as I have no role in MyMonero.
papa_lazzarou

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:13:22 AM

Thank you luigi,

I let it run while sleeping and now I'm on block 307986  Shocked and it's syncing almost as slowly as 0.8.8.6  Tongue
I'm no longer getting all the white words including "blob" speeding by but instead it's mostly the yellow lettering I'm used to when syncing with the white lettering being NOTIFY_REQUEST_GET_OBJECTS................
Hope you are enjoying the technical description Grin

As far as simplewallet I meant using simplewallet in 0.9 and using the name and password that was set up in 0.8.8.6

Try to exit safely and start again. I think it could have something to do with the database file resizing, but i'm not sure.
I'm not aware of any compatibility issues with simplewallet and the previous version generated wallets.

~ ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SAFE COPY OF YOUR .keys FILE ~
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 11:29:25 AM

papa_lazzarou,  I took your advice and tried exiting.  Like last time I typed exit and received the message "[node] Stop signal sent" along with a time stamp immediately followed by a message in green "Stop signal sent"  after which nothing has happened for an hour.  My Task Manager shows no activity for bitmonerod, no cpu or disk activity and memory is at 14.1 MB.  I have noted the last block synced and am now going to close it via the X and receiving the "exiting without saving message" in red.  At least this time I still have the folder with 0.9 in it.  The log folder is empty Huh
equipoise

Activity: 794

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 11:40:16 AM

papa_lazzarou,  I took your advice and tried exiting.  Like last time I typed exit and received the message "[node] Stop signal sent" along with a time stamp immediately followed by a message in green "Stop signal sent"  after which nothing has happened for an hour.  My Task Manager shows no activity for bitmonerod, no cpu or disk activity and memory is at 14.1 MB.  I have noted the last block synced and am now going to close it via the X and receiving the "exiting without saving message" in red.  At least this time I still have the folder with 0.9 in it.  The log folder is empty Huh
Someone reported that he typed 'exit' again after the first one and it worked.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 11:44:23 AM

Someone reported that he typed 'exit' again after the first one and it worked.

Thank you Smiley

I just restarted the daemon, let's see what happens. 
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:06:12 AM

My windows 0.9 beta has synced and it is using less memory than google chrome  Smiley Smiley

After I started I shut down my miner which uses both cores of my dual core pentium and therefore maxes it out.  I then noticed while syncing that every 200 blocks there is an operation that maxes out my cpu for a couple of seconds.

I just now opened simple wallet and entered the wallet file name of a wallet that is currently empty.  The message I received was.....

"The Wallet doesn't exist, generating a new one
password:"

When I first open simplewallet it notes the version # as v0.8.8.7-7792255
 Sad Tongue Cry

When I typed "exit" in the daemon I received more info than the times I tried to exit when the daemon hadn't fully synced but still it didn't exit.  I retyped "exit" and it very quickly shut down.  I started the daemon up again which only took a few seconds. 

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 12:34:25 AM

now u can run jwinterms wallet. edit the conf file to local host or whatever and boom! monero gui.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
bucktotal

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:44:15 AM

i've mentioned this before but i've got old deprecated wallets that crash 0.8.8.6 when i load them. it asks for my language of choice for the words then crashes. i tried the new 0.9 version and got it sync'd from scratch. but it still crashes at the same step, after asking what language i would like for my words. just letting you devs know. is there an old version of the software that still works that i could use to load this wallets and move the funds? and if so, where could i get that from?

- much appreciated
Pages: « 1 ... 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: