Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:46:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 [584] 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667213 times)
krawallmining

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:39:13 PM

Didn't you want to provide an early build which runs on Windows without qt hassle? Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:45:11 PM

Could someone please make a thread for bounties and link it in the OP?  It's too hard to find them.  It is importantly useful to interest more developers in taking on bounties - and more patrons in offering them.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 02:02:03 PM

Could someone please make a thread for bounties and link it in the OP?  It's too hard to find them.  It is importantly useful to interest more developers in taking on bounties - and more patrons in offering them.

We've had the bounties discussion before (in this thread if I recall correctly) and decided against them. By and large it leads to extremely poor code being rushed out just to claim a bounty. More often than not we end up ruffling feathers of those writing good code, but not having it ready fast enough to "win" the bounty. And, most importantly, we are the ones that end up maintaining the poorly thought out code.

As mentioned previously, we are putting together a system that will allow for more direct funding of specific efforts/features, but in the interim bounties are not going to attract the right type of developer. Contributors are attracted to the project because of the quality of the architecture we're continually designing and the quality of the code that is being written. Having bounties will only serve to negate that.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 02:03:03 PM

Didn't you want to provide an early build which runs on Windows without qt hassle? Wink

Yes - I'm busy fighting with building static Qt on Windows, managed to get the Mac one done quite easily. I'll see if I can't get it sorted this evening:)

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:07:58 PM

We've had the bounties discussion before (in this thread if I recall correctly) and decided against them. By and large it leads to extremely poor code being rushed out just to claim a bounty. More often than not we end up ruffling feathers of those writing good code, but not having it ready fast enough to "win" the bounty. And, most importantly, we are the ones that end up maintaining the poorly thought out code.

As mentioned previously, we are putting together a system that will allow for more direct funding of specific efforts/features, but in the interim bounties are not going to attract the right type of developer. Contributors are attracted to the project because of the quality of the architecture we're continually designing and the quality of the code that is being written. Having bounties will only serve to negate that.

I can attest to this, every time I have seen a bounty my first thoughts are "what is the bare minimum I could code to win such a bounty?", this is shortly followed by "I really don't have time to code crap when someone else out there probably is unemployed and able to beat me to the punch".

This thought process concludes the fact that I have not entered into any bounties, however I can easily imagine the type of code being wrote to win one.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:36:47 PM

I can attest to this, every time I have seen a bounty my first thoughts are "what is the bare minimum I could code to win such a bounty?", this is shortly followed by "I really don't have time to code crap when someone else out there probably is unemployed and able to beat me to the punch".

This thought process concludes the fact that I have not entered into any bounties, however I can easily imagine the type of code being wrote to win one.

Maybe it's better to set up bounties for promoting, translating etc.. than coding? I think monero would benefit more with that kind of bounties and to let the original dev's work on the code.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
parker928

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:58:19 PM

I love making all these fucking idiot trolls look stupid as fuck

I love making people second guess themselves, especially weak people

so easy to pick on. XMR Trolls are like rotting meat, guaranteed to get eaten up

... you are fooling no one here

i'm not trying to fool anyone asshole, I hold xmr and support it, what are you trying to say?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:35:15 PM

You don't want to use bounties, don't use them.  But the community needs them.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smfuser

Activity: 82

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:03:42 PM

Someone I respect told me that after recently learning about CoinShuffle, he no longer believes that Monero or any other privacy coins can have substantial long-term prospects.  CoinShuffle is discussed here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=567625.0

I'd appreciate any comments from Monero experts about CoinShuffle (or other better Bitcoin-based privacy protocols, if any) and the impact on the expected long-term viability of Monero.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:37:31 PM

Someone I respect told me that after recently learning about CoinShuffle, he no longer believes that Monero or any other privacy coins can have substantial long-term prospects.  CoinShuffle is discussed here:

I'd appreciate any comments from Monero experts about CoinShuffle (or other better Bitcoin-based privacy protocols, if any) and the impact on the expected long-term viability of Monero.

Big difference, Ring Signatures is embedded in Monero, Coinshuffle is not in bitcoin(it's a 3rd party mixer). Also, there isn't even a prototype for it.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
parker928

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:50:59 PM

Someone I respect told me that after recently learning about CoinShuffle, he no longer believes that Monero or any other privacy coins can have substantial long-term prospects.  CoinShuffle is discussed here:

I could argue that coin shuffle has no long term prospects because of already anonymous currencies which are anon at the protocol level.
kbm

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:22:59 PM

We present CoinShuffle, a completely decentralized protocol
that allows users to mix their coins with those of other interested users.
This implies a smaller anonymity set, as it requires interested users.

The unlinkability of transactions is protected as
long as at least any two participants in a run of the protocol are honest.
Less resources will be required to sybil attack, because of the smaller anonymity set. Also, sybil attacks will decrease the anonymization chances. If two out of 4 are sybils, then instead of a 25% random chance of being identified .. you now have a 50% chance .. and so on.

To the best of our knowledge, no fully anonymous and efficient solution has
been proposed to the best of our knowledge.
quoted for lols

Bitcoin users who wish to participate in a mixing protocol need a bootstrapping
mechanism to find each other, e.g., through a public bulletin board acting as
facilitator or through a peer-to-peer protocol specifically crafted for this purpose.
 the participants must additionally agree on a channel for
further communication during bootstrapping. We consider bootstrapping to be
orthogonal to our work and assume that it is available to all Bitcoin users.
Weak link here. I almost thought they were joking .. but they weren't Sad

This is where cryptonote would dominate .. this type of 'bootstrapping' is not necessary .. as the solution presented is inherent to the protocol. No effort on your end is required to perform an anonymous tx. The reason they don't consider this a goal is because they're trying to put the costs of performing it on you and your transactee .. while cryptonote does this for the standard tx fee that you also have to pay in BTC.

If after the mixing, a user
would like to spend the mixed coins associated with the output address while
maintaining her anonymity, she has to ensure that network metadata, e.g., her IP
address, does not reveal her identity or make the spending transaction linkable
to a run of the mixing protocol.
Monero will have i2p inherent to the protocol. While not perfect, this will block all but the strongest of adversaries from knowing your identity.

The shuffling provides robustness in the sense that attacks that aim to disrupt
the protocol can be detected by honest users and at least one misbehaving
participant can be identified and excluded.
The other participants can then run
the protocol again without the misbehaving participant.
I think it would be tough to identify a dishonest user and set up black/white lists using tor/i2p .. which without you would most likely be be able to identify the 'shufflers' outside of the protocol anyways .. making sybil attacks 100% effective no matter how many were sybil/real? Actually I think this is where masternodes have an edge over shuffling - because you can impose a fee on a sybil attacker. Again though, Monero offers transaction fees to prevent sybil attacks. Also, your transaction can't be linked because RS's, and soon to be unidentifiable through protocol i2p. Either way .. Monero doesn't have this problem (of failed transactions) because it's not using multisig to perform these mixes.

Hash Function.
CoinShuffle require a collision-resistant hash function H.
It looks like they've added ddos protection. Yay.

We further assume that every participant already knows the
verification keys of all other participants. All participants have already agreed
upon a fresh session identifier  and an amount B  of coins that they would
like to mix.
This isn't handled within shuffle protocol? This is seeming to sound pretty outdated ..

At the end of the blame phase, at least one misbehaving participant is identified
and excluded from the protocol.
It is worth noting that, whenever the blame phase is reached, the participants do
not construct a transaction that is accepted by the Bitcoin network.
reduces anonymity set by 1. Sybil concern - this is done for free.

If the malicious transaction is accepted, honest
parties do not lose their coins, but the mixing will have failed. Then, it might be
the case that a restart of the protocol is not possible because the participants
have already gone offline, in the belief that the protocol has been successful.
Basically ruins the DDOS protection. Just make a successful transaction, send out a double spend and then these people have transactions that don't go through ie: blocked transactions, unless people are okay with waiting for the network to reject the transaction .. but then they'd still have to do it all over again .. wastes time .. which can be wasted cheaply for BTC tx fee.

additional: the mixing type presented here does not allow proof of transactions on the blockchain. Cryptonote offers a view key, which can be used to verify permanently (without the wallet itself) the previous transactions of the wallet. Anyways, it mostly seems that they've offered a transaction method that 'works' in the sense that it can be done .. but also has attack vectors that are not shared by CryptoNote/Monero. Seems like an okay idea, but is outdated with the introduction of CryptoNote.

Thanks Smiley
smfuser

Activity: 82

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:50:58 PM

Big difference, Ring Signatures is embedded in Monero, Coinshuffle is not in bitcoin(it's a 3rd party mixer). Also, there isn't even a prototype for it.

Bryan Vu from Google is working on an implementation of CoinShuffle and has developed a simulator:

https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-sim
https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-server
http://simulator.devbtc.com
http://shuffle.devbtc.com
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 10:07:21 PM

This will never be secure if not every Bitcoin user is forced to use it for every transaction and that will never happen. like kbm already mentioned "This implies a smaller anonymity set, as it requires interested users."
Also i can´t see how an active protocol which needs time for mixing could outperform a totally passive system like ring signatures which are simply instant.

Anonymity is just the base of what Monero will offer.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 11:23:59 PM

3 FUD topics at the same time. hahah
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:36:43 PM

any eta for the gui?
looks damn nice! simple wallet is not that easy to use for most people i think its a entry barrier..

Per the tenth Monero Missive:

"There is still a lot of work to be done, so we are unable to provide a release timeline, but we are working on it as hard as possible"

Smiley

hi is there a new chat or missive/announcement tomorrow? xmr FTW!! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 11:37:38 PM

any eta for the gui?
looks damn nice! simple wallet is not that easy to use for most people i think its a entry barrier..

Per the tenth Monero Missive:

"There is still a lot of work to be done, so we are unable to provide a release timeline, but we are working on it as hard as possible"

Smiley

hi is there a new chat or missive/announcement tomorrow? xmr FTW!! Cheesy

One should come out until Sunday.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:49:35 PM

Bryan Vu from Google is working on an implementation of CoinShuffle and has developed a simulator:

https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-sim
https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-server
http://simulator.devbtc.com
http://shuffle.devbtc.com

But why would I want to use something that has a smaller anonymity set and is simply not as anonymous?

All these competitors to Monero really fall down hard, and I cannot understand why you're supporting such inferior ideas, perhaps you're a troll?
xulescu

Activity: 263

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

Sometimes I wonder if marterluc is watching XMR
akula999

Activity: 509

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:52:03 AM

moneropool.com -- pending balance is stuck again Smiley i'm over 2 XMR and counting Smiley

Bitcoin: 1FzZehkiwfeeUmfmBrym8VvXX7gUj3miHe
XMR: 4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf
Pages: « 1 ... 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 [584] 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: